• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "everyone hanging out and being chummy" fanservice in ep 2 wasn't my favourite thing ever, but I got it. Episode 4 having a protracted sequence doing essentially the same thing struck me as unnecessary.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Current stats:
qXALiuk.png

The 1s are obviously brigading, but can I also question the people giving it a 10? lol
Yeah, I wouldn't put much stock into these ratings. Nearly 62% think it is either 9-10 or 1.

These ratings always seem to bring out the extremes.

Oct 25, 2017
GoT is totally in a Lost/Last Jedi zone right now where they're trying to continue/conclude a long-running complicated story and the audience has had years to speculate and come up with their own theories and have either gotten way too attached to their own theories or have built their expectations up way beyond what it's even possible for the story to deliver.

Doesn't help that, even without that context, GoT is whiffing it pretty bad.

The caveat to Lost is people began to realize not every thing will be answered by season 4/5 and jumped off, then came back. It was far less of a fan servicey were afraid to do things mess as GoT is

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The "everyone hanging out and being chummy" fanservice in ep 2 wasn't my favourite thing ever, but I got it. Episode 4 having a protracted sequence doing essentially the same thing struck me as unnecessary.

Both would be great in a normal 10 episode season. In a 6 episode season where you waste 2 leading up to a pointless battle, it means you need to speedrun the last 3 to close every storyline.

Show is trash now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The caveat to Lost is people began to realize not every thing will be answered by season 4/5 and jumped off, then came back. It was far less of a fan servicey were afraid to do things mess as GoT is
Yeah, to Lost's credit, it had the audacity to at least try something different. It failed so spectacularly at it that it's unbelievable, but at least it tried.
Game of Thrones feels like it's going through a checklist of fan fiction "awesome moments" with no regard for narrative payoff or coherence.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all did not watch Season 5. Bad pussy? Unbowed Unbent Unbroken?

While last night wasn't good for sure, it also wasn't THAT.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If we could harness nerd rage into a form of energy, I think we'd be able wean ourselves off of fossil fuels almost immediately.
What exactly is nerd rage? Expecting a show to have decent writing with internally consistent characters and stories? Or are you capable of discussing things outside of meme level?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually pretty lenient on the show, this episode was just bad all the way around. It's really hard to defend.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
stupid NERDS

just turn off your brains already! enjoy the EPIC and COOL moments from your favourite characters! :D

It doesn't matter if the writing sucks and makes no sense, the show is still awesome

don't know why you NERDS even watch it if you don't like it anyway... lmao...

This is a pretty terrible hot take.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Jamie decided to ride south because at that point it's clear that Cersi has forced Dany's hand and is using the people of Kings Landing as a human shield. Jamie is going to try and kill Cersi to prevent as much bloodshed as possible. He iced Brienne so she wouldn't get killed during his murder suicide mission.
I think that's a pretty optimistic interpretation of that scene. I thought it was far more obvious that he wanted to save her from being killed seeing as how he reacted only after hearing that Dany was going to murder her.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the first half of the episode, the problem was everything after it.

I know that lots of fans have criticized the last 3 season for rushing out thing to get the end game as soon as possible, but overall I felt like the pacing was fine there (until obviously rushed) but last episode really felt like they wanted to get over things ASAP in 30 minutes, while also murdering the character of half the cast

Ezra

Nov 14, 2017
It was laughable.

It looks like the show has moved beyond killing the characters I love and begun killing my love for the characters.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Season 6 is ridiculously better than Season 5. Season 7 is somewhat better than 5.

I forgot about the Sandsnakes. 6 was half better than 5, i think the other half is on par. So overall it is better than 5, you're right about that much.

Wouldn't say ridiculously better, though.

One thing 5 (and somewhat 6) had going for it is that a lot of characters i enjoyed warching were still alive (or hadn't gone full stupid yet)

Now.... i don't think i care about anyone or what happens to them.

It looks like the show has moved beyond killing the characters I love and begun killing my love for the characters.
Pretty much sums it up.

Oct 25, 2017
Dismissing the rating of the episode as "nerd rage" is ridiculous.
7.7/10 is a very fair score for the quality of the episode.
It had a lot of messy plot contrivances, awkward dialogue, clumsy acting and line delivery, but it moved the plot along at least.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Can we take a moment to appreciate that when last week's episode was criticized, people resorted to using IMDB ratings to demonstrate that the bulk of people liked it, but when IMDB ratings are no longer fitting the "everyone liked it" narrative, IMDB ratings are suddenly nerdrage fueled review bombs?

They also said that "Reddit loved The Long Night, ERA is just negative" last week but now since Reddit also hates this episode, they're like "do you really want to have the same opinion as those people?" lol

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
That's not what the showrunners say is happening in the "Inside the Episode."
They lie on those things all the time. There's probably a montage on YouTube if you're interested.
Seems like a whole lot of jumping to conclusions, but I truly hope you're right.
It's more basic character stuff than jumping to conclusion. Jaime actually returning to Cersi's would be more of a twist tbh.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Were they not hiding in that big cove they came out from?
They were hiding but it seemed odd that she could not spot them in advance from the sky. They also had to get a clear enough shot to hit her dragons yet she still did not seem them until after it happened. It's possible but just seems odd seeing as she has an advantage

Also it would only make sense fo her to make sure the surrounding waters are safe considering Kings landing is not that far away and Cersi has a massive fleet.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll get the gang back together to do a proper closing season or two once George's book hits.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
They also said that "Reddit loved The Long Night, ERA is just negative" last week but now since Reddit also hates this episode, they're like "do you really want to have the same opinion as those people?" lol

Hipsters & Stans

The show has almost no resemblance to the first four seasons now. The Ghost thing is indefensible and shows how much the writers hate the material.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
TV ratings on imdb are so absurd. 7.7 would be a pretty good score for a movie.

Shit's more over-inflated than video game reviews.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
He's been ruined since season 5.

Jokes aside though,

When he came to Winterfell from King's Landing, did he really think he'd go right back after fighting against the White Walkers? No, he absolutely came North with the intention of never going back- or at least that's how the show portrayed it. When he arrived at Winterfell, he told them everything he knew about Cersei's plans and the fact that she'd hired the Golden Company.

Him deciding to go back because he fears Dany will now definitely murder Cersei makes no sense, because really, was there ever any doubt that that wouldn't happen? His decision to go back just seems like an awfully convenient one that serves no purpose beyond creating artificial unnecessary drama, and also completely ruins the big step his character took at the end of last season.

He's definitely going to King's landing to kill Cersei.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
They lie on those things all the time. There's probably a montage on YouTube if you're interested.

It's more basic character stuff than jumping to conclusion. Jaime actually returning to Cersi's would be more of a twist tbh.
Seeing as he panicked right after he was told that Dany was going to murder Cersei for killing her dragon and only then decided to go back to her, I'm not sure him fighting for Cersei again would be much of a twist anymore. I could be wrong, but I felt that's clearly what the show was telling us.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Screen-Shot-2019-04-30-at-5-00-05-PM.png

as a casual fan of this show, the way it's getting wrapped up is laughable [unless it is a genius marketing ploy to get the "real ending" from the final book].
I think D&D are hacks but honestly wrapping up this story in a satisfying way using the framework GRR Martin has layed out up unto book 5 mission impossible. Even Martin himself is struggling with it and will most likely need one more book than originally planned to do it if it ever does get done. As soon as I saw HBO's plans to have the truncated 7th and 8th seasons I knew this would be a hot mess.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While it wasn't the worst in the series, it was really bad. A great start to the episode that just tumbled and tumbled with each scene.

This is it. I agree.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Euron's magical fleet and Cersei staring at this pathetically small army and not crushing it really bothered me. Not to mention the fact that Cersei would have killed Tyrion, full stop. Jaime was out of character, the wildlings just sort of leaving, not petting or having a moment with Ghost... It was all just shit tier. There better be a good payoff.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how much stock I'd put into IMDB reviews but...

That was definitely one of the worst, if not the worst, episode of Game of Thrones.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Taking one of the best female characters in the show and turning her into a weeping cliche was a very tone deaf move.

They give Brienne a bit of happiness and it's cruelly pulled out from under her so Jamie can go back to being Cersei's fuckboy. It makes one of the best moments in a long time retroactively worse.

I think I went through the five stages of grief watching this one. I had hopes they would stick the landing and this season would at least make up for the slog that was 7. Now, I'm just hoping for some decent action from here on out.

As for the criticism, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I think D&D are hacks but honestly wrapping up this story in a satisfying way using the framework GRR Martin has layed out up unto book 5 mission impossible. Even Martin himself is struggling with it and will most likely need one more book than originally planned to do it if it ever does get done. As soon as I saw HBO's plans to have the truncated 7th and 8th seasons I knew this would be a hot mess.

There is a way to do it in a compressed schedule, it just requires solid writing. "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet" is not good writing.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
What exactly is nerd rage? Expecting a show to have decent writing with internally consistent characters and stories? Or are you capable of discussing things outside of meme level?

Nerd rage is when someone gets angry and merely sharing their opinion is not enough, so they go out of their way to share those fringe opinions through all channels possible (review bombing) and in the most exaggerated way possible (1 out of 10).

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we take a moment to appreciate that when last week's episode was criticized, people resorted to using IMDB ratings to demonstrate that the bulk of people liked it, but when IMDB ratings are no longer fitting the "everyone liked it" narrative, IMDB ratings are suddenly nerdrage fueled review bombs?

Classic Era. We do the exact same shit with Rotten Tomatoes scores.

High RT score? Proves movie is objectively good

Low RT score? Review aggregators don't matter, they're bullshit