• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And rightfully so. It's what they deserve for disrespecting the Queen.

giphy.gif

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is not true. Despite the series' flaws as of late Arya has been literally training to kill people the ENTIRE series. Sure, she didn't have NK on her list, but her doing it makes perfect sense given the story of the dagger as well. It was meant to kill Bran, gets given to Arya, comes all the way back around to kill the NK who is meant to kill Bran. Arya being a master of stealth now plays into it as well. Jon, nor any other character would have gotten anywhere close to the NK.
Arya has been training to kill people. The Night King has been portrayed as an unstoppable force of nature who got taken out at the first sign of resistance without any explanation. Additionally, Arya had NO WAY to sneak up on him like she did. Additionally, in pure storytelling terms, Arya killing the Night King lacks any narrative sense or catharsis. It would be as though Colin Creevey killed Bellatrix Lestrange in Harry Potter. Cool and unexpected? Sure. Satisfying? Absolutely not.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
This is not true. Despite the series' flaws as of late Arya has been literally training to kill people the ENTIRE series. Sure, she didn't have NK on her list, but her doing it makes perfect sense given the story of the dagger as well. It was meant to kill Bran, gets given to Arya, comes all the way back around to kill the NK who is meant to kill Bran. Arya being a master of stealth now plays into it as well. Jon, nor any other character would have gotten anywhere close to the NK.
So the all the stuff about Azor Ahai, Jon being resurrected, them getting dragons to fight the Walkers and Jon getting to ride one, Jon having multiple face offs against the White Walkers, him being the one to rally everyone against the Night King, his staredown with the Night King.... all of that was, what, misdirection? Sure, that's a polite word for it. I call it a waste of our time, in retrospect.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind, they probably think

Jaime killing Cersei

is some kind of TWIST, so they don't want to give it away in post-episode interviews before it happens.

Even though it is the single most logical place for his character to go and the only thing he has left to do in the story.

I would love to really say something regarding this, but I'll end up getting banned for it. I'll I'm gonna say is don't get your hopes up.
Like what? I purposefully stay away from these discussions, both for spoiler reasons and just my own personal enjoyment, but i'm curious.

I really liked last night's episode all around. The only complaint I could imagine to semi-agree with is that they weakened Brienne a bit... Oh yeah, and that Bronn's sudden appearance was pretty dumb. lol
I'm on my phone, kinda hard to type this all out but:
Jon, who doesn't want to be King, tells his sister, that has done shit behind his back, about his parentage. Dany had begged him not to since it would destroy them. Sansa breaks her promise and tells Tyrion which sets in motion what will happen next.

Dany forgetting about eurons fleet.

Dany meeting cersei out in the open when she literally could've killed her and her dragon in seconds.
Destroying Dany's character for heel turn shock value. Same goes for Jaime.

Turning brienne into the cliche " please don't leave me boyfriend!" Female.

It goes on and on. I'll write up more later.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Currently Last nights episode is at 70% on RT which is the lowest in the shows history. This is coming after last weeks which was the 2nd lowest on RT before last night.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
If we could harness nerd rage into a form of energy, I think we'd be able wean ourselves off of fossil fuels almost immediately.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
surprised the whole season isn't rated the lowest since it started. I really have not cared at all and last night was absolutely garbage

its amazing after all the character development and shit the leaders have no idea of any surprise attacks........like come the fuck on

Nov 1, 2017
GoT is totally in a Lost/Last Jedi zone right now where they're trying to continue/conclude a long-running complicated story and the audience has had years to speculate and come up with their own theories and have either gotten way too attached to their own theories or have built their expectations up way beyond what it's even possible for the story to deliver.

Doesn't help that, even without that context, GoT is whiffing it pretty bad.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I think 3 (4 if you count S5, which I do) consecutive seasons full of dumbassery is finally having an effect, even on viewers it wouldn't before.

You've still got an enormous casual viewerbase which goes to bars and shit and screams at everything epic and awesome, but now you have a lot of people who see the amount of stupid, illogical shit that happens in the show and are finally starting to question it and realise how shallow the show has become.

Even the official GOT reddit is shitting on it and that's unheard of.

Beyond the Wall having a 9.2 is insanity though. One of the most agregiously stupid episodes of Television I've ever watched.

Season 6 is a masterpiece. I agree with you on beyond the wall

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I just created an account to give it 1 star, a lot of things pissed me off about the things they did with this show but this was a tour de force of shit writing

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Yup. I made excuses to myself for the long night and I didn't even mind how the NK went out more the actual editing and execution of it but last night's episode was horrible. It is by far the worst episode of the series for me. Even amongst the trash of season 5 there would be strong character moments and occasionally witty writing. I'm not sure a single sentence last night felt in character or natural to me.

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, D&D explicitly said he's returning to her in the post show. They also said Dany "kinda forgot" the ballista and the Iron Fleet.

I'm not sure how them saying that contradicts what I said. They're showing and telling you everything to this point , if there is a swerve coming, they're not telling you.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
It kind of feels like it deserves it. To me, it feels like the writing has really gone to shit this season.

It definitely was not the best episode at all and probably the one I'm most disappointed with. It almost feels that there is no contingency with their planning which is a repeat of what happened before and people got slaughtered. Euron's magical fleet is amazing though...

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
A really embarrassing episode. One idiotic choice after another just to push the plot. A focus on startling moments rather than sensible developments. Felt like I was watching a show on CW. I hated the short night episode too but the way things transpired in this one made that episode even worse. So much bad I wouldn't even know where to begin.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was straight up trash. At least episode 3 had some exciting action scenes to make up for its fuckery. Most in my circle hated it and they generally enjoyed the previous episode.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me this was only the second bad episode of the series, but both of them came this season. The other one was episode 2.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, I wonder if that's because since season four D&D has had more creative freedom to veer away from the books? Although that's mostly because they had no other choice but to.
Most certainly.

I haven't even read the books but it became increasingly apparent as the show went on that there was a correlation between the quality and the available book material.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Beyond the Wall aired 2 years ago. The Last of the Starks aired 12 hours ago. BTW has had its score tempered by more forgiving fans weighing in over countless months. The score for TLOTS only comes from the most engaged and reactionary fans.

Actually I've been paying close attention to these imdb scores and that's not how it works. The score for pretty much every episode goes down over time after starting high immediately after the episode. The most favourable fans who just give it 10/10 regardless seem to jump in the fastest, then the score normalises. Last night's episode is down to 7.5 now after starting at 7.8 straight after the episode aired, and its only gonna keep falling. Just like how last week's episode is down to 8.5 and still slipping. Unless one of the final two episodes is worse, Last of the Starks will finish the lowest rated episode on imdb.

And tbh it kind of deserves it, episode was pure garbage tier writing even more so than normal with doing all important shit offscreen, unbowed unbent unbroken is the only episode I can think of which might actually be worse.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
They wrote that dragon out like a chump. Mythical beasts and it gets taken out like that before it even did anything in the last battle.
I don't have a problem with cersei having ballistics and stuff, but having them on every ship and on every inch of kings landing is total overkill.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, just a rough episode. Gotta ride this wing-tattered dragon to the end, though. At least next week will have some pretty orange fire.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we take a moment to appreciate that when last week's episode was criticized, people resorted to using IMDB ratings to demonstrate that the bulk of people liked it, but when IMDB ratings are no longer fitting the "everyone liked it" narrative, IMDB ratings are suddenly nerdrage fueled review bombs?

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
6 was better than 5.

The only delineation that matters is the first half of the series, based off book material, and the second half which does not.

Not to say that I still haven't been enjoying the show, because even through missteps and bad plot lines, I have been.

But last night was the straw that broke the camel's back. There is no big 'payoff', there is no grand plan. It's just going to putter to the end.