• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Jon should have
have pet Ghost or did a proper good bye
Saddest shit in the series to me.
Serves them right.

Your name is TheGhost :( No wonder you're sad!

But to me, if you say goodbye to your dog they're gonna miss you forever.

You just leave, they'll be happily expecting your return. Jon knew this and tried to minimize Ghost's grief.

Lets hope Ghost (and Tormund) return in the final episode and save Jon Snow's life and we get a happy reunion + ending. Wouldn't that just be great?

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Being the lowest is kind of silly - there are worse episodes in the show - but I expect it's because the disappointment is fresh.

That said, there may be more to it than simple "nerd outrage." That's certainly part of it, but... Well, on my end, I have a lot of friends who are show only fans, maybe comment about it on Facebook, and don't spend any time looking at forums or Reddit or online reviews or whatever. And I've heard a fair amount of complaining even from them.

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This episode wasn't even close to the worst episode in the series. The first 30 minutes were a return to form (although the last 30 were pretty awful). The last episode was much worse, and it still doesn't hold a candle to bad pussy.

I think this is more of a cumulative effect for more casual show watchers who are now starting to realize that there hasn't been the character and plot development they were expecting. The writing has been horrendous for years now but its finally catching up to them.
Yep, they're finally starting to see through the spectacle to see that the show has been kind of an empty husk for years.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I have a legitimate question- "nerdraage" for Game of Thrones has been a thing for three years now. Episode 6 of Season 7 (Beyond the Wall) is the most criticized episode in GoT history, and it has a 9.2 on iMDB. So what exactly has changed?

I think 3 (4 if you count S5, which I do) consecutive seasons full of dumbassery is finally having an effect, even on viewers it wouldn't before.

You've still got an enormous casual viewerbase which goes to bars and shit and screams at everything epic and awesome, but now you have a lot of people who see the amount of stupid, illogical shit that happens in the show and are finally starting to question it and realise how shallow the show has become.

Even the official GOT reddit is shitting on it and that's unheard of.

Beyond the Wall having a 9.2 is insanity though. One of the most agregiously stupid episodes of Television I've ever watched.

Jan 29, 2018
I liked it more than last week's, and I liked last week's.

The negativity is ridiculous. Half the "criticism" in this forum's GoT thread stems from people missing years of obvious foreshadowing, willful misinterpretation, or characters simply making a decision other than the viewer would make. That, or simply "lol D&D".

If you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't make it "garbage tier" writing.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a legitimate question- "nerdraage" for Game of Thrones has been a thing for three years now. Episode 6 of Season 7 (Beyond the Wall) is the most criticized episode in GoT history, and it has a 9.2 on iMDB. So what exactly has changed?
Beyond the Wall aired 2 years ago. The Last of the Starks aired 12 hours ago. BTW has had its score tempered by more forgiving fans weighing in over countless months. The score for TLOTS only comes from the most engaged and reactionary fans.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
D&D confirmed in the post-show show that he actually is going back to Cersei

I mean things like "Tyrion would never be drinking while talking to Varys" is nerdrage. On the other hand, legitimate criticism of contrivances in the show are not.

Keep in mind, they probably think

Jaime killing Cersei

is some kind of TWIST, so they don't want to give it away in post-episode interviews before it happens.

Even though it is the single most logical place for his character to go and the only thing he has left to do in the story.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
This still a poor excuse though and does not absolve of it the criticism it rightly deserves.
Yeah I mean I guess I don't mean to "excuse" it so much as say I kind of understand why it's happening, and it's made doubly tricky by the fact that it's surpassed its source material and is now essentially being "inbetweened" by people who aren't writers as skilled as GRRM is. It's a common pitfall of these adaptations that surpass the source, the fact that it had ballooned to dozens and dozens of characters and plotlines that needed to be wrapped up in such a short time after lazily ambling about for years prior is just an extra degree of difficulty. I think they're struggling with trying to balance "fan service" type beats with ones that are truly necessary to advance the plot... and while it's a weaker show because of these factors, I think they're doing a fine job considering. It's still a far cry from the relentless suspense and sharp writing of earlier years though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or he's going back explicitly to kill Cersei, because he knows he's the one with the best chance and running down Brienne emotionally guarantees she doesn't follow?
I feel like that is "the surprise." He's fully redeemed and dies and kills her. Could be wrong, though.
Again, D&D explicitly said he's returning to her in the post show. They also said Dany "kinda forgot" the ballista and the Iron Fleet.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's seems great at first, because some of the acting was fantastic, like Emilia Clarks and Conleth hills, but after you take a minute to think what actually went down, you realize how horrible the writing was.
Like what? I purposefully stay away from these discussions, both for spoiler reasons and just my own personal enjoyment, but i'm curious.

I really liked last night's episode all around. The only complaint I could imagine to semi-agree with is that they weakened Brienne a bit... Oh yeah, and that Bronn's sudden appearance was pretty dumb. lol

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
That was crazy. Actually made zero sense.
It actually made perfect sense. CGI is expensive, and putting Jon and Ghost in the same screen is expensive.

Once a show starts making plot decisions and do a disservice to your characters for the sake of budget, you know you're in for a bad time. It's like how they chopped off Medusa's hair in the first/second episode of Inhumans.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think 3 (4 if you count S5, which I do) consecutive seasons full of dumbassery is finally having an effect, even on viewers it wouldn't before.

You've still got an enormous casual viewerbase which goes to bars and shit and screams at everything epic and awesome, but now you have a lot of people who see the amount of stupid, illogical shit that happens in the show and are finally starting to question it and realise how shallow the show has become.

Even the official GOT reddit is shitting on it and that's unheard of.

Beyond the Wall having a 9.2 is insanity though. One of the most agregiously stupid episodes of Television I've ever watched.
Yeah, it's the worst episode of the show, 9.2 is utterly nonsensical for it. But like I said, GoT fans enjoy the spectacle so it worked for them. Except now it seems like even they're getting tired of the show's inane contrivances.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean I guess I don't mean to "excuse" it so much as say I kind of understand why it's happening, and it's made doubly tricky by the fact that it's surpassed its source material and is now essentially being "inbetweened" by people who aren't writers as skilled as GRRM is. It's a common pitfall of these adaptations that surpass the source, the fact that it had ballooned to dozens and dozens of characters and plotlines that needed to be wrapped up in such a short time after lazily ambling about for years prior is just an extra degree of difficulty. I think they're struggling with trying to balance "fan service" type beats with ones that are truly necessary to advance the plot... and while it's a weaker show because of these factors, I think they're doing a fine job considering. It's still a far cry from the relentless suspense and sharp writing of earlier years though.

I think that's their biggest issue and why they're just bad. They're so worried about giving fans what they want and delivering these moments instead of just telling a story.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, it's the worst episode of the show, 9.2 is utterly nonsensical for it. But like I said, GoT fans enjoy the spectacle so it worked for them. Except now it seems like even they're getting tired of the show's inane contrivances.

I think last night's episode wasn't the worst, but so close to the end, it was hugely disappointing . A lot of the scenes just felt like the invisible hands of the writers reaching down and moving characters into their places for the finale, instead of allowing it occur naturally. Just very sloppy and rushed.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
It was OK. Nothing special but not trash tier even if there was scenes that made me scratch my head.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if it's the absolute worst, but it's for sure bottom 5

cinch

Chicken Chaser
Feb 17, 2019
Horrible episode, the worst i can remember. Like, the Brienne/Jamie thing i'm honestly trying to act like it never happened and for them to go back to the way they were beforehand, it was that effing stupid.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
man you guys are no fun at all sometimes most of the time.

Nobody in my viewing party had anything to say about any of the stuff you guys are babbling on about. Put down your monocles and enjoy the content, folks. Go with the flow as much as you can. Not like you can change anything anyway.

Disengage your puny thoughts! Consume content! Be happy! Be happy! Consume content! Be joyous you are allowed to consume the content we give you!

Seriously, discussing TV shows has been a human past time since, well, TV shows began. Critical evaluation has never hurt anyone but hacks, and more people could learn to be discerning of the media and art they engage with.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. It's almost like season 8 has been written in response to memes, Tumblr threads, and Twitter hyperbole.

Just like season 7 was.
That's why we had Arya killing the Night King. Because it's "shocking". There's no narrative build up for it.

I don't even mind Arya doing it, mind, she's like my favorite character on the show. But story beats have to be earned or they stop having any effect.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
arrogant reminder that the show has been shit since season 4 at least and the rest of you are just now noticing.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Your name is TheGhost :( No wonder you're sad!

But to me, if you say goodbye to your dog they're gonna miss you forever.

You just leave, they'll be happily expecting your return. Jon knew this and tried to minimize Ghost's grief.

Lets hope Ghost (and Tormund) return in the final episode and save Jon Snow's life and we get a happy reunion + ending. Wouldn't that just be great?
They have a psychic bond basically. Ghost isn't just you know...regular dog.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
If that's true, that's awesome. That's not the impression I got, though.
Your thought would seem to make more sense the way it was presented. Jaime takes off when he hears Cersei is likely to be killed and Kings Landing sacked, not that she has a good chance of coming out on top and actually being victorious.

Jaime should have rode south when he learned that Bronn was sent to kill him on her command if his intention is to stop her, not save her.
Jamie decided to ride south because at that point it's clear that Cersi has forced Dany's hand and is using the people of Kings Landing as a human shield. Jamie is going to try and kill Cersi to prevent as much bloodshed as possible. He iced Brienne so she wouldn't get killed during his murder suicide mission.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Bronn: Hey guys, remember me?
Welp, see you later!

The Bronn scene actually made me laugh out loud. Not in a good way. The way he just appears out of nowhere, literally threatens to kill the QUEENS HAND, and then disappears without anyone saying anything. I dont often say this but imagine if this scene happened in the first few seasons. There is no way Bronn could've gotten away just like that. Hell, he would probably wouldn't even have been allowed inside in the first place. There is no connective tissue between a lot of the scenes, they just get piled on top of eachother to rush the plot forward.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
That's why we had Arya killing the Night King. Because it's "shocking". There's no narrative build up for it.

I don't even mind Arya doing it, mind, she's like my favorite character on the show. But story beats have to be earned or they stop having any effect.

This is not true. Despite the series' flaws as of late Arya has been literally training to kill people the ENTIRE series. Sure, she didn't have NK on her list, but her doing it makes perfect sense given the story of the dagger as well. It was meant to kill Bran, gets given to Arya, comes all the way back around to kill the NK who is meant to kill Bran. Arya being a master of stealth now plays into it as well. Jon, nor any other character would have gotten anywhere close to the NK.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
There was a campaign to spam it with one star reviews on reddit and whatnot, due to the leaks about it, it had over 700 1star ratings hours before it aired

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Jamie decided to ride south because at that point it's clear that Cersi has forced Dany's hand and is using the people of Kings Landing as a human shield. Jamie is going to try and kill Cersi to prevent as much bloodshed as possible. He iced Brienne so she wouldn't get killed during his murder suicide mission.
Seems like a whole lot of jumping to conclusions, but I truly hope you're right.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is not true. Despite the series' flaws as of late Arya has been literally training to kill people the ENTIRE series. Sure, she didn't have NK on her list, but her doing it makes perfect sense given the story of the dagger as well. It was meant to kill Bran, gets given to Arya, comes all the way back around to kill the NK who is meant to kill Bran. Arya being a master of stealth now plays into it as well. Jon, nor any other character would have gotten anywhere close to the NK.
Is she also the master of monster dunks?

I liked it more than last week's, and I liked last week's.

The negativity is ridiculous. Half the "criticism" in this forum's GoT thread stems from people missing years of obvious foreshadowing, willful misinterpretation, or characters simply making a decision other than the viewer would make. That, or simply "lol D&D".

If you don't like it, fine, but that doesn't make it "garbage tier" writing.
Yeah but the other half of the criticism is on-point.