• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
This was part of the HBO/Universal Pictures contract that included theatrical films that were released in theaters up to December 31st, 2021.

I think this is the last one, but I keep saying that and end up being wrong. So...

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This was a fun movie except
for the black guy constantly putting himself in danger for a girl he just met. Plus the fact that he's always just popping up. They could've written him a lot better.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a film worth watching, for Edgar Wright's unique voice if nothing else, but I found it to be kind of middling and forgettable overall.

Thomasin McKenzie and Anya Taylor-Joy put in great performances though.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Great film with even better performances. Second part of the film goes... sideways, but it's still cool.

People laugh about Matt Smith's career (deservedly!) but this is easily one of his better roles.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
A disappointing film that would have been better served by sticking to the concepts and themes of the first half than the awful horror film it turns into in the second. An unfortunate waste of both Anya Taylor-Joy and Thomasin McKenzie.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I love Edgar so this was one of the first films my wife and I went to during the pandemic.. had to see it opening night. It's not great honestly. Probably a 6/10. I think it's worth watching though for his outstanding visual flair and some really strong moments.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
A disappointing film that would have been better served by sticking to the concepts and themes of the first half than the awful horror film it turns into in the second. An unfortunate waste of both Anya Taylor-Joy and Thomasin McKenzie.

Exactly how I feel. The horror elements were so weak I didn't feel anything. The twist was somewhat interesting, but first half and the leading actresses caried a meh movie. Wrights directing was also too subdued for what I like about him.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, this would have been a better movie if it was just telling the mirror stories between the main girl and Anya's character with good music and editing, I kinda stopped caring the predictable twist came in to view, movie had a bummer ending as well.

OSHAN

Oct 27, 2017
Performances, cinematography, soundtrack, direction, editing are all top notch, but I feel this is Wright's weakest story. It's worth checking out, at least.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Lol. I literally bought this last weekend because my wife was tired of waiting for it to hit streaming and there were no options to rent. I thought it was a pretty good movie, but disappointing for an Edgar Wright film.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I went into this movie completely blind (didn't even know it was a horror movie). Not a great experience because of that lol. I loved the first half or so and then it turned into something I wasn't expecting.

Oct 27, 2017
I went into this movie completely blind (didn't even know it was a horror movie). Not a great experience because of that lol. I loved the first half or so and then it turned into something I wasn't expecting.
It becoming a Giallo film was a bit of a surprise but I remember Edgar Wright's "Don't" trailer from Grindhouse and it all came together.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
Even though the third act didn't land with me, I still enjoyed my time with it.

Definitely liked the concept and what it wanted to do though.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I was very disappointed by this movie. But I'm also not a fan of the
trope where ghosts are actually trying to help you by making your life a living nightmare.

Oct 27, 2017
Still think this is better than Baby Driver. The music gimmick was cool but I didn't vibe with that movie at all, or most of the cast.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I watched it twice and it's Wright's weakest film. Still beautifully shot and worth a watch.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like this movie got no buzz compared to Wright's previous stuff. Excited to finally check it out though.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
It becoming a Giallo film was a bit of a surprise but I remember Edgar Wright's "Don't" trailer from Grindhouse and it all came together.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it that genre-wise, much as I wouldn't have called the recent Malignant one either.

It's obvious that Wright is a huge Bava and Argento fan though, and the movie being so drenched in colour at times was a highlight.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Gorgeous directing muddled by a weak script and laughable cgi blood. I still enjoyed it but it's his weakest film to me. Baby driver comes close but I feel the first watch of that is really entertaining. The second time it falls apart. Still, a weak Edgar Wright film is highly enjoyable.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
I really liked it. The two main actors were amazing, as was Dianna Rigg (last performance too, RIP). It meanders a little in the middle, but I ultimately enjoyed it. Also, the soundtrack, damn!

Hard watching that post Kevin Spacey but I liked it for what it was.
Post Kevin Spacey and post Ansel Elgort... it's such a shame too, because the movie is an absolute masterpiece, but it just stars two utter assholes.

Give me a sequel with my future wife Lily James and a resurrected Jamie Foxx/John Hamm.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
This was a fun movie except
for the black guy constantly putting himself in danger for a girl he just met. Plus the fact that he's always just popping up. They could've written him a lot better.

Same. I said this in the first OT for this movie, Wright really did a disservice to the Black character; suprised I didn't see many reviewers saying the same.

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
Much like Malignant, I think if you're going into this as a big fan of the kinds of films that influenced it, you'll probably get a real kick out of it. I do think it loses its footing when it decends into more generic horror territory. But much like the work Wright is drawing upon, I think the style is the substance. And Wright is such a marvelous, technically brilliant filmmaker.

I loved the big, explicit Argento reference too. Made me grin.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Much like Malignant, I think if you're going into this as a big fan of the kinds of films that influenced it, you'll probably get a real kick out of it. I do think it loses its footing when it decends into more generic horror territory. But much like the work Wright is drawing upon, I think the style is the substance. And Wright is such a marvelous, technically brilliant filmmaker.

I loved the big, explicit Argento reference too. Made me grin.

I think that's the thing, it's kind of worn territory, the stuff we've seen before but it's done really well and there is so much style and spectacle.