• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
adobe-flash-logo.1419969978.0.jpg

This was the titan of the internet in the 2000s but slowly faded away. I remember spending tons of hours in Newgrounds and watching Homestar Runner videos with this. However HTML5 has all but replaced flash. What are your favorite flash cartoons/games?

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
Madness Interactive was my absolute favorite.

McDonalds Simulator a very close second.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Will it be possible to download the flash files and play them with the standalone player?

Nov 18, 2020
RIP Newgrounds.com

Although with Ruffle emulating Flash in the browser it's not all lost. I guess what's the most sad is watching the Flash sites close down. That was the classic era of the Internet and even if most of it is getting preserved, it's still sad to see.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
Local standalone players will remain functional, so if you downloaded some SWF's and you have the latest SAFlashPlayer installed you can keep playing whatever for however long.

Adobe is still supporting the renamed Adobe Animate. Flash got used for kiosks, interactive displays, a lot fo things that have nothing to do with its shitty legacy as an internet technology. Things where HTML5 ain't yet stepping up.

Also let's flash to this chestnut from the launch of iPhone:

288a90c9b1edd2522589bab5d5f1b26e.jpg

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Local standalone players will remain functional, so if you downloaded some SWF's and you have the latest SAFlashPlayer installed you can keep playing whatever for however long.

Adobe is still supporting the renamed Adobe Animate. Flash got used for kiosks, interactive displays, a lot fo things that have nothing to do with its shitty legacy as an internet technology. Things where HTML5 ain't yet stepping up.

Also let's flash to this chestnut from the launch of iPhone:

288a90c9b1edd2522589bab5d5f1b26e.jpg
ACKSHUALLY

That was from the launch of Android Froyo, when it started to natively support flash

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there is one death in 2020 I'll gladly celebrate its the death of flash.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Candystand Mini Golf. My Biology teacher in high school did tournament in class with that game. I faced him in the championship round and blew it on the last hole. That might have actually been Shockwave, though.

B'z-chan

Oct 27, 2017
Java (basic) is next I hope. There are things we need to get rid of due to security exploits that are unpatchable, flash being one of the biggest offenders.

As for videos for me it'd have to be the original Star Wars Rap video. It was in the Shockwave format for those that remember the Macromedia days before the Adobe flash name.

All those years in dreamweaver for what now?!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly flashing back to all those LegendaryFrog cartoons I watched.

Oct 29, 2017
Wait what the hell is Homestar being archived somewhere?
Yes! Very yes! There's a site archive in Flashpoint but it's missing some of the very recent stuff (like an updated Stinkoman) and the Strong Bad twitter account has said they're looking into Ruffle.js, a flash emulator that works in browsers. Plus they just reissued the 100 SBmail DVD set, and have been slowly reuploading toons (minus click-thru easter eggs, obv) to youtube with the original source audio. In fact if you go there right now it's an under construction parody

FatalT

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Newgrounds was my shiiiiiiiiit!

I remember first seeing Frog in a Blender and loving that whole website's animations. I forget that site's URL now.

EDIT: Joe Cartoon!

EDIT 2: Nanaca Crash ~uguu

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Candystand Mini Golf. My Biology teacher in high school did tournament in class with that game. I faced him in the championship round and blew it on the last hole. That might have actually been Shockwave, though.
Candystand Mini Golf :O

obi_wan.jpg

I was obsessed with that game when I was younger

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I have fond memories of many things related to it, but fuck Flash.

Also surely films on Newgrounds won't disappear since it switched to HTML5 long ago?

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I haven't been to it in like 20 years, but RIP Newgrounds if this is going to kill the site (I have no idea if they changed away from flash games/movies at some point). It was a weirdly huge piece of internet culture at the time, back before memes were really a thing. I know YTMND died a while back too, so it's weird to be losing more huge pieces of that era of internet history.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
End of an era. Weird to be saying good-bye to Flash after it played such a big part in 00's internet culture...

From what I understand, Newgrounds is going to be keeping most of its stuff preserved through other means?

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Working in tech/academia it's going to be fantastic to have Flash gone, but man, it's heartbreaking.