• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nacho Papi

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, so I need to keep my cool here because random tech issues like these are the bane of my existence.

I haven't had, recent, issues with the Xbox app. However, for whatever reason I suddenly can't play any games.

Games boot up, I get prompted to log into my account, I confirm the account and I get the following error:

xboxd8jvw.png

I tried googling of course but any issues I read up on, on this "dev environment" issue bullshit very much seem to relate to actual developer issues.

Clicking "more info" takes me to:

• On your PC, go to Xbox.com and select Sign in. If there are problems with your account, the instructions will help you solve them. If you can't go beyond the sign-in screen, select Forgot my password and follow the instructions.
  • If that didn't work, select the Start button > Settings > Time & language. Under Date & time make sure the Set time automatically setting is turned on. Open Time & language settings
  • If none of those options work, select the Start button > Settings > Accounts , then find the Microsoft account you used to sign in to the Xbox app and select Remove. Then go back to the Xbox app and sign in with the Microsoft account you just removed. Open Settings
I tried all of the above and none of it helped.

I checked xbox live status pages and there is no ongoing service interruptions.

I tried contacting customer support but after clicking through all the 'screening' questions I get this (no thank you I don't want to talk to a "gamer", I want support for the service I pay for):

supporteskae.png

I hate the Xbox on windows ecosystem, I hate it...I'd rather deal with GFW...slapping the "Xbox" branding on this shit gives it a veneer of quality it does not deserve. I was more sympathetic when everything was "Xbox (Beta)" but they have the gall to call this anything but makes me even more frustrated.

So before I uninstall all the xbox related garbage on my PC, taking a well needed breather from troubleshooting this trash, anyone have a quick-fire fix for this should you have encountered this yourself?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Everything is written there...
You are in the wrong dev enviroment, and have to switch to another sandbox.

Honestly, i have no clue what that even means.
No clue what i would do with such a message if i just want to play a game.

Is that really a message you get while starting a normal game?

CNSBarry

Oct 27, 2017
Found this on a reddit post, might be worth checking:
I solved this problem, I fully explain it in my new comment up top. The Xbox and Windows OS have a certain type of sandbox mode active at all times. I fucked mine up cause I thought it was a field for putting in my gamer tag cause I saw "Xbox Live" lol, I was playing around with some Windows 10 Pro dev stuff. But from your post it looks like you weren't even trying to do any dev related things. You can still find the "Sandbox" key value in "regedit.exe". The vaule must say "RETAIL", without the quotes in order to go back to normal.

Ninge

ID@Xbox Developer Partner Manager
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Check your registry settings for a key called "Sandbox" which would be in "hklm\software\microsoft\XboxLive" if it exists...

Let me know if you don't know how to check this ;)

If you have that key - make a note of what it says - then delete it - it should only exist in dev environments and should not exist in the normal retail environment. That being present would explain the message you are seeing. You'll need to reboot after deleting it.

I'd be really interested to know what the Sandbox registry key is set to if you do have it.

If that doesn't fix it I can help via DM.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I cannot contribute anything issue-related except that I feel you, OP. I had a similar problem that was luckily solved with one of the provided steps (removing devices and erasing login data) but I had such technical issues on other platforms as well, like YouTube or Geforce Experience that denied the login and therefore it's feature (which moron thinks it's cool to NOT have an offline mode?) and what's really pissing me off is how hard it is to actually get in contact with a tech support member. They literally make billions and billions of money but want you to ask the FUCKING COMMUNITY. No thanks, after browsing some issues and see the responds. Also, why is it my fucking job to do research and fix the issue? Having a helpful community is a welcoming addition but the company should have people in place who get in touch with you and sort out those issues which often could be avoided with more foresight.

You have all my sympathies and I do hope you can solve this issue.

Hong

Oct 30, 2017
From looking online it seems to be a really recent issue with Halo and Ark. It's also affecting the Steam version of MCC. What games have you tried to launch?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having this issue right now, as well.
Xbox on PC continues to be Xbox on fuckin' PC...
Check your registry settings for a key called "Sandbox" which would be in "hklm\software\microsoft\XboxLive" if it exists...

Let me know if you don't know how to check this ;)

If you have that key - make a note of what it says - then delete it - it should only exist in dev environments and should not exist in the normal retail environment. That being present would explain the message you are seeing. You'll need to reboot after deleting it.

I'd be really interested to know what the Sandbox registry key is set to if you do have it.

If that doesn't fix it I can help via DM.
I checked my registry. There's no such key in my local machine registry.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
From looking online it seems to be a really recent issue with Halo and Ark. It's also affecting the Steam version of MCC. What games have you tried to launch?
Yes i've been playing MCC a lot and only had this iasue today. Went to the subreddit and saw that otger people had it too. Just wait it out OP. Seems to be some problem on their end

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I used to have issues with the X10 Xbox app.

For me I needed to do a full Windows reinstall.

Sometimes after too many updates things can become unstable and you get issues that pop up now and then that are either solved by a crazy amount of work to find the stupid little thing that broke, or reinstalling Windows.