• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
*raises hand*

I always play a human for my first run through in every RPG where it's an option. For me it's just the personal fantasy that I enjoy, I like to play as if I get to be the powerful wizard or cunning rogue and put myself in those situations.

In my real tabletop DND group I'm a human wizard and in BG3 I'm a human wizard lmao.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
I just want to play a Murloc, is that too much to ask?

Maybe they'll add Bullywug as a race one day.
bullywug.jpg

They're so tiny but god it would be beautiful. Goblin's my favorite race.

Same If it's a choice I'll always go Goblin as well.

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it's the same reason the "reader/viewer insert" character is so prevalent in fiction across all genres. People want to experience things imagining that they're there, or that someone reasonably like them is there. The reason The Count of Monte Cristo is so satisfying to read is because Dantes starts the book as a totally normal guy. He could be any given reader, easily, and he ends up executing an amazing power fantasy. David Copperfield, Peter Parker, Arthur Dent, Bilbo Baggins, the Stark children, the Time Traveller in The Time Machine, you could list characters all day. Almost every "fish out of water" character in fiction is supposed to be you, at least at a subconscious level.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if a vast majority of first-run characters made in all games with a character creation feature look as much as possible like the person playing.

Last edited:

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
You give me half-orc as a race and paladin as a class, sure. Until then, simple so I don't get attached.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What this thread has tought me is that DnD has some really cool races and I've really got too keep my eye on this game once it leaves early access.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Thankfully, the people making these generic characters aren't the ones on twitter showing off their thicc amazon women. Stats may say one thing but that doesn't mean it's the most trending on social media

Generic male humans are #1 on FFXIV but there's plenty of cat girls being shown off

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
I have been rocking a purple faced lass with horns, short green hair and bright red eyes. They really nailed the alien eyes on those devil things (I am an old school 2nd edition player so no idea what the new races are).

I really like the female dwarf character models, but I want to run a warlock as opposed to a fighter class, and it looks like dwarves are more suited for melee builds.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will play my generic brown hair white male human warrior until you put Dragonborns into the game, Larian. Get back to work!

it should go without saying, but because people on here have no clue what sarcasm is I should make it clear that "get back to work" is a joke and I am in no way actually pushing a "lazy devs" argument. I appreciate Larian's hard work thus far.... but I'll appreciate it more once dragonborn is a race :)

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of complain in this forum about generic white dude/hero. I guess that's what the people want xD

when given a lot of choices, people tends to go for something familliar.

I see the list of race in BG3 and I don't know 70% of them. Even if they look cool, I'm not sure I want to play something I don't know, even if it has horns and blue/red skin.

Same thing happened with Mass Effect, where when presented with starting classes : soldier, engineer, infiltrator, vanguard, adept, people freaked out. Wtf are these. And an OVERWELMING % of players choose soldier because wtf is an adept. Well, adept manipulate element zero. Ok, wtf is it. IT IS SPACE MAGIC, HERE. HAPPY ?! Too late, everybody chose boring ass soldier boy with a variation of burning ammo, cryo ammo or poison ammo....

Maybe changing names of even not presenting the vanilla choice first could help a lot (having human and fighter as further down choices)

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it always bums me out to hear that most people just make a regular human in games like this, especially knowing the work they put into those systems.

I like to play as the most visually interesting or badass races I could find. Why I want to be human when I could be a tiefling?

I always worry this kind of thing will make some devs feel like expansive and diverse character creation choices aren't worth it.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I personally love carving out a few hours tinkering with the CC settings but I get why others might go for something familiar or plain when faced with an abundance of choice.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
BG3 is single player, no? I tend to roleplay as female characters when I play even though I am male. It's just a preference I've had since I was a kid.

That said, in online games, ESO excepted (I play a Khajiit), I tend to play this exact character except with stubble on some pounds packed on because (spoiler) that is exactly how I look irl. Idk, I don't want to give online players the wrong impression.

Ultimately, what matters is that people have fun playing. If that means putting yourself in the game then great. If it means making a horned 7 foot tall lizard dude with 2 tails and rainbow scales, go for it!

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
People like symmetry and perfection. We've just gotten so accustomed to it and humans just seem to be the most balanced option in character design. Adding things like horns, whiskers, and others ruin the image of flawlessness.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know dog maybe your character creator sucks from a usability and visual design standpoint so people don't want to engage with it.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I always try to make my character Nathan Fillion (Mal Reynolds) So I'm probably part of the problem.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
In most create your character games i generally just hit the random button 3 times then select accept. I have never really cared what my icon looks like.

Nov 3, 2017
Agree with what they are getting at but don't a lot of players essentially make themselves in a lot of these types of games?

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I've just made a nice looking elf, not as boring as copying myself but I think still a very boring option I guess, I couldn't help.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
D&D table top sometimes has the same problem as Humans get a bonus feat (if you play with the variant version), making them one of the strongest races in the game when it comes to a pure stat view point. They can also put their +2 into any stat they want.

It's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the new race rules in Tasha's in November.

Do Humans have this feature in BG3? (I have only played the game I haven't made my own character, my PC can't run this shit lol)

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
If I can't play my gnome ska bard, annoying my fellow characters by playing ska playlist on youtube to bother my fellow players, what's even the god damned point?

And yes, when someone gets disarmed, you damn straight I give them bardic inspiration to "pick it up!"

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
People can make their character whatever they want. I'm gonna make my character boring now hope it pisses them off.
You'll sure show them
"youre a basic boring bitch with no imagination and part of the problem if you dont want to be an orange halfling with four heads"
"well yeah i dont care much about fiddling with the character creat-"
"WOW STOP TAKING THIS SO PERSONALLY ITS JUST A LIGHT JAB"
But it is just a light jab. This is a comical level of fragility. And I say this as someone who tries to recreate herself with character creators whenever I can and doesn't care for adding excessive horns and tails and stuff.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I created a 'generic white dude' myself and I always will. It's easier to immerse myself that way and Larian shouldn't roast me for that just because I don't want to play an edgy character instead.

I'm revoking your gamer card and banishing you to forever play boggle like the basic bob you are. /s