• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
PoE1 is mediocre but you can plow through it to get to the good bits, but Deadfire is just a tirefire of blandness and terrible decisions. It's terribly optimized (sub 30fps on a 1080 during battles), the ship mechanics are completely pointless, most of the party members are grating in glaringly obvious ways *Aloth rolls his eyes*, the writing wildly swings from a paint drying spectacle (overly detailed and unnecessary exposition such as going to painful details to describe the face of a shitty old dwarf WHO HAS A PORTRAIT) to sophomoric drivel (miming farting noises into a person's ear, attempts at being funny or clever just making your character seem like a lame imbecile), and every NPC in the setting is on the visible spectrum of Boring Asshole.

And both of the games have some of the lamest, most BALANCED, mechanical and robotic CRPG combat on the market. I looked at my character in the Old City and they had so many shitty minor buffs on them that barely did anything and lasted for 15 seconds tops that I just grew completely disgusted with the game and dropped it.

My main thing is story and character. What's better in that department, Poe or kingmaker?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
PoE1 is mediocre but you can plow through it to get to the good bits, but Deadfire is just a tirefire of blandness and terrible decisions. It's terribly optimized (sub 30fps on a 1080 during battles), the ship mechanics are completely pointless, most of the party members are grating in glaringly obvious ways *Aloth rolls his eyes*, the writing wildly swings from a paint drying spectacle (overly detailed and unnecessary exposition such as going to painful details to describe the face of a shitty old dwarf WHO HAS A PORTRAIT) to sophomoric drivel (miming farting noises into a person's ear, attempts at being funny or clever just making your character seem like a lame imbecile), and every NPC in the setting is on the visible spectrum of Boring Asshole.

And both of the games have some of the lamest, most BALANCED, mechanical and robotic CRPG combat on the market. I looked at my character in the Old City and they had so many shitty minor buffs on them that barely did anything and lasted for 15 seconds tops that I just grew completely disgusted with the game and dropped it.
Everythingyoujustsaidwaswrong.gif

Except for the ship stuff but whatever

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
RTwP can take some getting use to. You're expected to manage and understand a lot all at once and while it's not the most complicated thing out there it's easy to kind of just go through the motions and never really get a strong grasp on how everything works. Which is for some, but not others and it's not surprising combat doesn't click. PoE admittedly doesn't have the best pathfinding so it can feel awkward and clunky at times in big fights, especially if you're relying on the AI to control things instead of directing party members yourself. The game does offer a ton of auto-pause options to help provide more feedback. Like weapon ineffective, enemy killed, ability completed and so on that are worth looking at if you're feeling like you're missing out on feedback.

While not exactly required, but to get the fullest out of things in my opinion, I would recommend spending some time to really understand all the stats and formulas the game has. Really get to know and understand Defense Types and Dmg Types when attacking certain enemies and using different abilities, how Attack Resolution works in relation to that so you're not using abilities or weapons that have low hit chances or do minimal damage. Knowing how Attack/Recovery Speed works is vital so you don't overburden your party members so they take forever between attacks and Attributes of course which feed directly into everything. Once you really know how that stuff works a most things will start to fall in place. What weapons and armor types work best your party members and for certain enemies, what abilities and talents are useful for you and in different situations, how they really help you and when to use them and in conjunction with one another.

Any good strategy to start out with is to just turn take full control and micro manage everything for a little while. Turn off the AI, constantly pause, be in control of every action and really take your time reading over the combat log outcomes, enemy descriptions, ability descriptions and so on. Being in full control gives you a better chance to see exactly how things transpire from start to finish, what worked and what didn't. As well as just getting comfortable and familiar with RTwP in general and the flow of things. Once you're more comfortable and familiar with things the combat can really open up and you can make it your own. I love RTwP because it gives you the freedom to take things as fast or slow as you want them, and knowing exactly how everything works really allows you to take advantage of that.

Like I said PoE isn't some super complex game unlike any other, you don't have to do this or have deep knowledge to play or enjoy it, but PoE was the first RPG I truly took the time to actually learn and understand the rules thoroughly and not just enough to get by and it absolutely paid off. What amounted to a handful hours or so of reading some explanations, watching some vids and really taking things slow in game resulted in one of my fondest gaming experiences and level of confidence in play that was just really damn fun and satisfying. It seems like an unreasonable investment but given the game can provide 80+ of playtime, not including the very excellent White March expansion, it's worth it. The wiki site is a valuable reference for anything you might not fully understand through the ingame tooltips alone. https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Combat. Definitely worth checking out.

And while I really loved PoE's combat, Deadfire is just better in every way. So it's totally worth it to get through PoE and see all the new options and improvements in Deadfire. As well as continuing the story and exploring the world of Eora.

Honestly it's not just combat that irks me about PoE1. Like I've played other RtwP games that I've liked. PoE1 also has a terrible inventory system IMO, also items and stats have bad readability. It's not really apparent at a glance what is better than what or where I would even look to see what weapons are good against what enemies/armors. The awkward shuffle that happens when an enemy dies that your party was targeting. I know it's a D&D staple, but I def think the system in place for spells and having to rest to reset your spell slots also feels bad, casters feel gimped IMO unless you come stocked with camping supplies. Also my friend was explaining to me that Dex helps I think it's AoE spells, like in what world would I ever be pumping Dex for a mage =P

I'm not trying to rag on the game, just been my honest experience with it after a couple days. Obsidian is def one of my fav devs, I just think for me after 4-5 hours with PoE1, feels like a relatively clunky oldschool RTWP cRPG and for me it's only redeeming factors seem to be it's extensive backlore, customization and some of the chars I've met (Eder and Durance I think are there names seem cool so far, but it's hard to settle in with them when I have so many other problems with the game that distract me.)

Sorry for the rant I know this is a Larian thread. I'm super stoked for Larian's take on BG3, they've been top tier lately and I welcome anything from them.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
My main thing is story and character. What's better in that department, Poe or kingmaker?

I have not played Kingmaker but everything I've read says that now that the game it out of the honeymoon phase you are better off waiting for them to fix stuff before jumping in. On the other hand, Pillars 1 and 2 are feature complete and mostly bug free.

Pillars 1 and 2 have good worldbuilding, which to me means your characters exist in an ecosystem that seems to go beyond yourself and your personal quest. That's their strength. Characters aren't the strong suit, unfortunately, but there are few standouts in each game.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I have not played Kingmaker but everything I've read says that now that the game it out of the honeymoon phase you are better off waiting for them to fix stuff before jumping in. On the other hand, Pillars 1 and 2 are feature complete and mostly bug free.

Pillars 1 and 2 have good worldbuilding, which to me means your characters exist in an ecosystem that seems to go beyond yourself and your personal quest. That's their strength. Characters aren't the strong suit, unfortunately, but there are few standouts in each game.
Pathfinder's all fixed up already and they're putting out a free enhanced edition upgrade in the next month or two

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Honestly it's not just combat that irks me about PoE1. Like I've played other RtwP games that I've liked. PoE1 also has a terrible inventory system IMO, also items and stats have bad readability. It's not really apparent at a glance what is better than what or where I would even look to see what weapons are good against what enemies/armors. The awkward shuffle that happens when an enemy dies that your party was targeting. I know it's a D&D staple, but I def think the system in place for spells and having to rest to reset your spell slots also feels bad, casters feel gimped IMO unless you come stocked with camping supplies. Also my friend was explaining to me that Dex helps I think it's AoE spells, like in what world would I ever be pumping Dex for a mage =P
Yeah the inventory system isn't the best, I agree with you there. The rest of what you're saying though kind of directly is what I'm talking about with regards to learning the Ruleset. Knowing the ruleset and systems would really help to overcome most of these issues I think. PoE is generally praised for its tooltips, but if the readability isn't working for you I can't really argue with that. But I think if you improved your understanding of the ruleset that would help with being able to understand what that info is presenting and what to look for.

PoE's direction with Attributes is different than a lot of other games, and kind of fundamental to understanding how things work, every Attribute affects something important. There's no inherent dump stat for any given class. There are some obvious important ones and the game highlights them, but really it matters what kind of character you want to play. The system is designed so you can go with unconventional builds and have it work. While DEX isn't necessarily a critical stat for a mage it can be very useful as it directly reduces you action and recovery times, which can be lengthy for some spells. So it's generally advised to have a few extra points in it. The beauty with PoE's system is you could create a mage that doesn't pack a very large punch or cover a wide area, but is able to cast off spells and attacks very fast. DEX doesn't affect AoEs, that's INT which increases duration and size. And Might is really important as that increases your damage. Those two are generally considered the most important, with Dex being behind them.

pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com

Attributes

A character's attributes are the six primary statistics defining his or her nature, and are determined during Character Creation. Each attribute represents a particular aspect of the character, and has a significant impact on his or her capabilities in combat and during interactions. Attributes...

Also as you advance in levels there are skills you can get that provide per encounter options for some spells, as well equipment and skills that increase your number of per rest spells. But if you dislike it that much you should check out the IE Mod, it has a ton of useful things in general, but also allows you to change up a number of the core systems in the game, including turning all Spells into per encounter rather a mix of Per Encounter and Per Rest.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Kingmaker barely has a story. It's basically like a glorified tabletop collection. Lots of mini stories and generic adventuring, so think of it kind of like the base campaigns of the Neverwinter Nights games. It doesn't start off too bad, but in chasing that emulation, they strained against their budgets. Intro has characters intereacting a lot for instance, but because the potential party size balloons very quickly, they won't do it much 10 hours in because they didn't have the budget to account for all those variables.

Story and character are much more of a focus in PoE.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah the inventory system isn't the best, I agree with you there. The rest of what you're saying though kind of directly is what I'm talking about with regards to learning the Ruleset. Knowing the ruleset and systems would really help to overcome most of these issues I think. PoE is generally praised for its tooltips, but if the readability isn't working for you I can't really argue with that. But I think if you improved your understanding of the ruleset that would help with being able to understand what that info is presenting and what to look for.

PoE's direction with Attributes is different than a lot of other games, every Attribute affects something important. There's no inherent dump stat, really it matters what kind of character you want to play. While DEX isn't necessarily a critical stat for a mage it can be very useful as it directly reduces you action and recovery times, which can be lengthy for some spells. It doesn't affect AoEs, that's really INT which increases duration and size. And Might is really important as that increases your damage.

pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com

Attributes

A character's attributes are the six primary statistics defining his or her nature, and are determined during Character Creation. Each attribute represents a particular aspect of the character, and has a significant impact on his or her capabilities in combat and during interactions. Attributes...

Yea I wasn't quite sure if he said Dex helps AoE spells, just that it helped with something to do with spells (probably just able to spam some more quickly.) I think for me even ontop of all the things I was having issues with I could maybe overlook them if the story was truly pulling me, but it just hasnt caught me, we'll see once I hit Defiance Bay, maybe it will. I just wish them game FELT better to play, combat and even just walking around just doesn't feel all that nice or smooth to me.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying I agree with you, but this is a wonderfully acerbic bit of writing.

I will be integrating "tirefire of blandness" (my favourite Harry Potter movie, btw) and "on the visible spectrum of Boring Asshole" into my everyday use.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Pillars 2 really shit the bed with the main story. The first game took ages to get interesting but the sequel doesn't even get started.

Bioware tier companions like Aloth who only returned because he shares a VA with Eder.

The combat and some of the sidequests are the only redeeming features

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Pillars 2 really shit the bed with the main story. The first game took ages to get interesting but the sequel doesn't even get started.

Spot on. I'm pretty sure the people who complain about D:OS2's story and writing then say how much better it is in PoE, are downright trolling.

Many of Obsidian's good writers left some time ago including Avellone and John Gonzalez. It's no surprise that the best written parts in PoE1 are Avellone's companions.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Don't listen to people who say Kingmaker has no story or character development. They are wrong. It has exactly that, in droves. And the writing which does not remind you of watching a paint dry, unlike Deadfire.

The main story is woven into a lot of sidequests, you being a ruler is an important part of the plot, companions range from normal but okayish to quirky and awesome, the villains have some comprehensible motivations. Chris Avellone was one of the writers, and it shows.

It's perfectly playable now that they fixed the gamebreaking bugs.

Edit: Oh, and Enhanced Edition with the latest patch will arrive on june 6.

Last edited:

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
BG2 is my all time favourite RPG, D:OS2 my 2nd favourite, I think the idea that the maker of the latter is making a sequel to the former is just about enough to blow my freaking mind!

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Look at me! I can't praise something without shitting on anything that is similar! WHEEEEE!

PoE1/2 are great. DOS2 is great. Kingmaker is probably great(it's still in my backlog). Having tons of CRPGs to play is amazing!

Feb 19, 2018
Kingmaker barely has a story. It's basically like a glorified tabletop collection. Lots of mini stories and generic adventuring, so think of it kind of like the base campaigns of the Neverwinter Nights games. It doesn't start off too bad, but in chasing that emulation, they strained against their budgets. Intro has characters intereacting a lot for instance, but because the potential party size balloons very quickly, they won't do it much 10 hours in because they didn't have the budget to account for all those variables.

Story and character are much more of a focus in PoE.
What is this, have you even played the game for more than an hour (which is roughly how long the intro is)? The game is ALL ABOUT story, and the story is frickin' great too, because it's almost entirely based on a series of highly regarded campaign books (that were actually expanded with another chapter in the game that added important story content that had to be cut from the original P&P releases) and Chris Avellone was involved as well (which really shows). If anything the party interactions and ESPECIALLY the quest chains for the story companions leave anything PoE2 has in that regard in the dust (even though I'd say that PoE2 is still a decent game and quite an improvement over PoE1, excluding White March). The quest chains are paced throughout the entire storyline however and are influenced by it in turn, which on the other hand of course means you can't just finish them in the first few hours after you picked up a character and be done with them, if that is what you were looking for.

I've played the game for over 150 hours and the story is still gripping with regular plot twists keeping you on your toes and I can't recommend the game enough for anyone looking for a CRPG successor to Baldur's Gate with well done gameplay and a huge focus on a well written story and storytelling in general. There is a reason Kingmaker still has so many players after all this time (more than PoE2 does on Steam, actually) and the rather rough launch (though the constant patching really helped, there is only a few minor bugs left now and the Enhanced Edition is coming in a few days with another large number of fixes)... and it definitely isn't just because it looks pretty.

Last edited:

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who beat both Kingmaker and POE2 I honestly liked POE2's story more. (It didn't help that I wasn't that fond of Kingmaker's story tbh and I liked more of deadfire's characters than Pathfinder's.) Don't even get me started on the rampant stupidity that is the "True" ending in Pathfinder.

Plus I hate feeling rushed and that timed main quest bs was just annoying generous time or not.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Pathfinder has a very good mainline story imo. They actually do really interesting things with the villain who was barely characterized in the original module.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017

Ugh. Both of these games have issues with the story, and both of these games have major pacing problems. I personally thought the story in Pillars was decent, but you'll want to ignore most of the backer NPCs, since all they do is spit out volumes of purple prose. I think someone at Obsidian forgot that it's content, not volume that matters when telling a story. Kingmaker feels way more episodic, and the constant kingdom management breaks up the story even more to where the main plot is just kind of hanging out in the background for long periods. Also, if you care about gameplay, there's at least one essential mod for Kingmaker if you are going to play any kind of offensive caster. The debilitating area of effect spells last way too long after combat has ended.

Everythingyoujustsaidwaswrong.gif

Except for the ship stuff but whatever

I like Pillars 2 more than the first, but it's not optimized in the slightest (or maybe it is, and Unity just sucks in general), and the constant loading gets ridiculous after a while.

What is this, have you even played the game for more than an hour (which is roughly how long the intro is)? The game is ALL ABOUT story, and the story is frickin' great too, because it's almost entirely based on a series of highly regarded campaign books (that were actually expanded with another chapter in the game that added important story content that had to be cut from the original P&P releases) and Chris Avellone was involved as well (which really shows). If anything the party interactions and ESPECIALLY the quest chains for the story companions leave anything PoE2 has in that regard in the dust (even though I'd say that PoE2 is still a decent game and quite an improvement over PoE1, excluding White March). The quest chains are paced throughout the entire storyline however and are influenced by it in turn, which on the other hand of course means you can't just finish them in the first few hours after you picked up a character and be done with them, if that is what you were looking for.

I've played the game for over 150 hours and the story is still gripping with regular plot twists keeping you on your toes and I can't recommend the game enough for anyone looking for a CRPG successor to Baldur's Gate with well done gameplay and a huge focus on a well written story and storytelling in general. There is a reason Kingmaker still has so many players after all this time (more than PoE2 does on Steam, actually) and the rather rough launch (though the constant patching really helped, there is only a few minor bugs left now and the Enhanced Edition is coming in a few days with another large number of fixes)... and it definitely isn't just because it looks pretty.

I've finished the game, and agree with the person you were responding to. It's not a gripping story, and it's way too disjointed. Now if maybe the kingdom management didn't exist, it would feel more cohesive, but in its current form, it doesn't at all. I don't know why so many people keep saying it's the spiritual sequel to Baldur's Gate either when the only thing they have in common is a vaguely similar ruleset, a few decent party members and being RTwP. They feel nothing alike aside from that. I just replayed both Baldur's Gate games too for like the sixth time after finishing Kingmaker.

The best thing I can say about Kingmaker is that the class customization is probably second to none in the genre.

I'm playing OS2 right now and I was thinking of going through poe1 and 2 next, but I just see people shitting on both all the time. So kingmaker is better?

Obviously just my opinion:

OS2 > Deadfire > Kingmaker > OS > POE

But, I prioritize how long the combat can keep me engaged first, story and characters second. It doesn't matter to me how good a story is, if in a 50+ hour game I'm bored out of my mind during the later half of it.

Last edited:

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Something that recontextualises it a bit:

Meant to say "doens't condemn" people making explicit poltical stuff, rather than "doesn't condone" it.

Unfortunately, he then goes on to say:

"The reason I take this approach is because I view games as entertainment. If you're purposely pushing an agenda or point of view in your game – especially a real-world one that's clearly divorced from the game world – and you're dictating that perspective as correct vs. asking a question or examining the perspective more broadly, then it's left the gaming realm and the 'game' has become a pulpit."
So, uh, not any better overall.

In the article, Avellone has this really baffling "a game should just be a game" position on video game writing. And the actual phrases he uses are... dogwhistles, even in their most favourable read.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Coincidentally I started DOS1 on Thursday and have put 26 hours into so far. Larian are exceptional and I will buy whatever they make.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
No way they'll make BG3 a Stadia exclusive or something...right?
A turn-based rpg (if we assume they're going with TB) sounds like the perfect fit for a streaming service, but exclusivity sounds totally insane. I'd hope Larian and everyone else involved realizes locking this game to an untested streaming platform would piss off just about everyone.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I don't think Chris Avellone being involved in anything is a solid gold badge of quality anymore.

Would be nice to post the rest of the quote:
"The reason I take this approach is because I view games as entertainment. If you're purposely pushing an agenda or point of view in your game – especially a real-world one that's clearly divorced from the game world – and you're dictating that perspective as correct vs. asking a question or examining the perspective more broadly, then it's left the gaming realm and the 'game' has become a pulpit."

One of the points Avellone makes is in how writers often need to put distance between their characters and themselves. For example, if he's working on a Star Wars villain – someone with reprehensible, unforgivable personal politics – that doesn't mean that he himself believes those same things.

"When I do apolitical design, I don't view the narrative as having nothing to say: instead, the stories may have something to say in the context of the game world – the game's commentary may be simply on the game world, gods, factions, or some other aspect of the lore or franchise itself and ideally, the player is part of the story and not simply there to passively listen to what the game is saying, but what they can bring to the story and the world through interacting with it," Avellone explains. "I think a game, especially a role-playing game, can have a considerable amount to say by examining what the player brings to the equation and players asking themselves what kind of character and what kind of player they are when confronted with a situation that's not clearly black and white."

Check the full article, it's interesting.
Avellone's strength is in always pushing for shades of grey in his storytelling. He's not saying there shouldn't be political subtext at all, he's saying it should be in line with the game first and foremost.

edit:

Last edited:

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Spot on. I'm pretty sure the people who complain about D:OS2's story and writing then say how much better it is in PoE, are downright trolling.

Many of Obsidian's good writers left some time ago including Avellone and John Gonzalez. It's no surprise that the best written parts in PoE1 are Avellone's companions.

Tyranny is leagues above D:OS1+2 tho

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
I have not played Kingmaker but everything I've read says that now that the game it out of the honeymoon phase you are better off waiting for them to fix stuff before jumping in.

They've actually fixed everything by now. The "Enhanced Edition" of Kingmaker will be out on June 6, you can safely grab it if you waited until now.

I personally felt that Kingmaker is the only game out of the recent CRPG renaissance which is a worthy heir to BG2. That said, PoE 1 is better than PoE 2, in my opinion, due to the latter having much weaker story and characters.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I love how it's pretty much already confirmed it's happening!

So excited for this. I wonder if you still play as the same Bhaalspawn as 1 and 2 or it's an entirely different thing. At the end of Throne of Bhaal you literally ascended to Godhood so it would be bizarre to see you back as a weakling. Would be cool to see some returning characters like Imoen, Minsc or Edwin. Bonus points for Cespenar in your HQ. The Black Hound concept seemed cool back then as it's own separate thing story wise but as an evolution to the mechanics of BG2. I'll be happy nonetheless as BG 2 is my favorite game of all time.

I really don't care whether it's turn based or RTWP but Larian has been really amazing with TB in the OS games so my bet is that it will be turn based.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Not trying to derail this thread, but boy I wish Divinity Original Sin 2 wasn't a top down RPG but a traditional behind the camera view.

The hype around this game when it came out was through the roof and the concepts and stories sounded AMAZING, something on par with the Witcher 3. I got it from Gamefly knowing it was top down and hoping to get past that but I just couldnt. Never been into top down action games and I couldn't make it past 2-3 hours.

I know having the games camera behind the character is a huge change and requires a ton of work but I would love to see Larian do a traditional behind the character RPG but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Why did I only see this thread now?

While I love Baldur's gate, I was hoping Waterdeep would be the main hub instead, considering how prominent it is in 5e. Although the new campaign that is coming out will take place in Baldur's gate, perhaps they want to ride that hype.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Waterdeep is the Metropolis to Baldurs Gate's demon worshipping Gotham. Plus Waterdeep gets more focus by far in terms of games and adventure modules

Last edited:

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Not trying to derail this thread, but boy I wish Divinity Original Sin 2 wasn't a top down RPG but a traditional behind the camera view.

The hype around this game when it came out was through the roof and the concepts and stories sounded AMAZING, something on par with the Witcher 3. I got it from Gamefly knowing it was top down and hoping to get past that but I just couldnt. Never been into top down action games and I couldn't make it past 2-3 hours.

I know having the games camera behind the character is a huge change and requires a ton of work but I would love to see Larian do a traditional behind the character RPG but I doubt that'll ever happen.
Top down is the traditional view for rpgs lol

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Top down is the traditional view for rpgs lol
Fun fact: The Witcher 1 even had a top-down view, because it was built on the same engine as Bioware's Neverwinter Nights (the Aurora Engine).

Over-the-shoulder was its default and the rest of the games focused on that, but it was there in 1.