• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
WHAT IS HAPPENING

WHAT IS HAPPENING

IS THIS REAL LIFE?!

Baldur's Gate 3 and Bloodlines 2 at the same time? What has humanity done to deserve these gifts

Hopefully not connected to the old BG. The story was done.

DnD 5E Forgotten Realms spoilers

Bhaal has resurrected himself... new Bhaalspawn incoming?!

VentusGallius

Oct 25, 2017
So does that mean they're doing real time pause or bringing turn based to the series?

I'll stay optimistic because I really like Larian, but RTwP has always been a hurdle for me.

Same boat, i played through PoE2 but couldn't make it through PoE1. I think the only reason i made it through 2 was the setting and making rifle lines with long guns.

I think I would rather have another divinity game however.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been holding out for 2 to be ported to Switch, is that a silly hope? I've been really wanting to try these games

Honestly, I don't think you'd want it on Switch.

Technically could it be done? Maaaaaybe. Possible but not likely.

More importantly, the game would be a nightmare to navigate on such a small screen. There's just too much going on with the UI overlays and menu systems to be viable on portable screens. Even if they scaled it up, it would take up way too much real estate.

Put it this way, both Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment were ported to iOS platforms. Now they work relatively okay on tablets and such. But as much as I wanted them to, they're simply unplayable on 5" phone screens.

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly I don't even give a shit if it's real time with pause or turn based as long as it's good, but I sincerely hope they are going to copy BG2's itemization for this and ditch the shitty randomly generated itemization that plagued the Divinity series.
Loot and itemization was basically the only thing that prevented the two D:OS from becoming timeless classics in my book (and they were pretty close anyway.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
This is the best news of 2019. Holy fucking shit.

SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Let's speculate.

Okay, I know it's probably a totally different thing now, and not even connected to the old games, but this was the possible concept for BG3 from Obsidian back in the day.

I've always thought that the struggles of a new FR deity could be pretty interesting. Think about what the Bhaalspawn would be up against: 1) few or no followers in a setting where a god requires worship to survive, 2) no divine portfolio to speak of, and 3) a fortress / headquarters that is still floating somewhere in the Abyss – not friendly territory, even for an evil PC.

Under those circumstances, I think a divine campaign would be a battle for survival. It's suggested at the end of ToB that Cyric and his allies will be coming after you (whether the player is evil or not) because Cyric took over Bhaal's divine portfolio. The player, as a nascent god, would be facing off against some powerful deities.

Terrible odds? Yes. But that's great for a story hook.

Initially the player may just be staving off imminent disaster as Cyric and his friends move quickly against the player – several strong deities against a relatively weak one. I could imagine the player being forced to abandon the Throne of Bhaal and going on the run across the planes. The player's goal would be to gain followers (faith=power), usurp the divine portfolio of another god, and carve out a base of power in the wider multiverse. Your journey could take you to some of the planes we've never visited in a CRPG – Mount Celestia, Limbo, and Mechanus, for example – as well as revisiting old favorites like Sigil, though seeing the City of Doors through the eyes of a minor deity could be a very different experience. In a divine-level planar campaign, the player might stir up a civil war on Mount Celestia, conquer a layer of the Abyss, or assemble an adventuring party of divine avatars. Ultimately you'd take back the Throne of Bhaal, smack down Cyric and his friends, and establish a place for yourself among the pantheon of gods.

Mechanically, it seems like a critical resource would be your divine power, which would rise with your number of followers (humans, divines, demons, or whatever), the extent of your notoriety and influence, and the importance of your divine portfolio. (The concept of divine rank could conceivably replace character level.) You'd create avatars to go adventuring in the various planes, so death wouldn't force a reload. And as you travel the planes, you might learn ways to change or improve the traits of your avatar, or to create multiple avatars, each with different shapes and abilities, useful for different situations.

That's just some quick brainstorming, but I think a divine-level BG3 could be a lot of fun, and the Bhaalspawn's story could certainly go on if developers wanted to pursue it.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
just for the purposes of a hypothetical discussion --

*IF* it's BG3, wouldn't the longtime hardcore fans of the BG games want RTWP combat?? that's what I would want, which is why I voted that way for Pillars of Eternity

what say you ERA? and only answer if you are original BG fans back when they came out, lol

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I just finished PoE 2 and Tyranny this week so coming off these games, I welcome these news. I honestly never finished DoS 1&2 cause the world and story is totally uninteresting yet I really liked the gameplay systems. If the writing is improved this could be awesome!

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I don't think you'd want it on Switch.

Technically could it be done? Maaaaaybe. Possible but not likely.

More importantly, the game would be a nightmare to navigate on such a small screen. There's just too much going on with the UI overlays and menu systems to be viable on portable screens. Even if they scaled it up, it would take up way too much real estate.

Put it this way, both Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape: Torment were ported to iOS platforms. Now they work relatively okay on tablets and such. But as much as I wanted them to, they're simply unplayable on 5" phone screens.
There are a few fights that would destroy a Switch.

There's so much fire in the Oil Field fight. So much.

Good to know, I'll look out for it during PSN sales then

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Oh man, if it's BG3 and it's as good as Divinity: OS2 or better, so excited!

I bet whoever left that metadata in is kicking themselves lol!

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017

*IF* it's BG3, wouldn't the longtime hardcore fans of the BG games want RTWP combat?? that's what I would want, which is why I voted that way for Pillars of Eternity

what say you ERA? and only answer if you are original BG fans back when they came out, lol

I'd prefer an evolution of the original gameplay, similar to what Pillars did, but I feel like that is unlikely with Larian as their turn-based mechanics are incredibly lauded.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

I'd be fine with either? Larian knows TB combat better than anyone I'd say, so if they're handling it then TB is the way to go. I love RTWP but it is a sadly dying style. Or they could go full on crazy and pull a TB mode and RT mode like Pillars 2 managed.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Either way would be fine since it's Larian that makes it.

However, comparing the latest of both combat types from it's latest games, D:OS2's combat blows PoE2 out of the water.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
This would be goddamn glorious! I literally cannot think of another developer I would rather have take over Baldur's Gate franchise.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
well there are 5 hits for Baldur's Gate in the metadata, 3 for trademark and 2 for BaldursGate_logo_III_retouched.png
also looks like it was called project Gustav?

HmGVoPL.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Beamdog probably too busy or can't quite handle the production @ this scale or..., it doesn't matter to me at this point.

I'm wondering whether this will be crowd funded...

Ready, regardless

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'd prefer an evolution of the original gameplay, similar to what Pillars did, but I feel like that is unlikely with Larian as their turn-based mechanics are incredibly lauded.

yeah -- that's exactly why I was asking, because I'm probably going to be disappointed

Either way would be fine since it's Larian that makes it.

However, comparing the latest of both combat types from it's latest games, D:OS2's combat blows PoE2 out of the water.
not for me, I like POE2's combat better (I mean the default RTWP in POE2, not the TB they added recently)

that's just personal preference for RTWP, I don't mean from a technical or polish standpoint

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely wouldn't mind if they do something similar to pillars 2 and give the option to choose which combat style to go with.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Beamdog probably too busy or can't quite handle the production @ this scale or..., it doesn't matter to me at this point.

I'm wondering whether this will be crowd funded...

Ready, regardless

Good question. On the one hand I'd assume no, since it probably doesn't need to be at this point. But on the other hand, it's like a guaranteed influx of money since the crowdfund campaign would absolutely be successful.