• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Nice to see more video game companies pop up in my country though it seems like it'll be a support studio. I wonder why they picked Malaysia though.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I was confused if this was a studio I had never heard of or if OP made a typo lol

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
I have a feeling that baldur gate 3 is neither gonna be turn based or rttp. Its gonna be like dragon age but open world.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Still can't believe how rapidly Larian has grown. It's sooo amazing.
I have a feeling that baldur gate 3 is neither gonna be turn based or rttp. Its gonna be like dragon age but open world.
DAO, DA2, and DAI are all real-time with pause. DAO was even advertised as a successor to Baldur's Gate, IIRC.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always afraid when i see smaller-ish devs opening a ton of studios, hope it works out great for them! Still have to play Divinity 2 tho

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Still can't believe how rapidly Larian has grown. It's sooo amazing.

DAO, DA2, and DAI are all real-time with pause. DAO was even advertised as a successor to Baldur's Gate, IIRC.
DAO was but DA2 and DAI moved more toward action-based combat then true rttp. What I meant was its not gonna be isometric rttp like pillars or bg2

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
DAO was but DA2 and DAI moved more toward action-based combat then true rttp. What I meant was its not gonna be isometric rttp like pillars or bg2

There is a 99.9 percent chance you're wrong about this. But I do agree. All these studios aren't necessary to make isometric games. Eventually they'll wind up making an open-ish over the shoulder RPG. Hopefully, 'cause I'd be in on that.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, that's possible.

I dunno that I agree though, because their engine and pedigree all point towards an isometric strategy RPG. Probably turn-based too. It doesn't make sense to let Larian make a Baldur's Gate sequel then restrain them from doing their best work.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt that. If they released bg3 and it wasn't isometric people would flip out.

Yeah. I've never played the series but I've heard the way people speak about it. Who would that version of the game be for? You'd ditch all the people who want it for the chance at a new audience? How about...make a new IP?

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize they had 5 studios. I wonder if they're working on Original Sin 3 along side with Baldur's Gate 3 with that many studios.

Nov 3, 2017
South East Asia seems to be increasingly seen as a viable territory to open studios, between Metronomik and Larian in Malaysia, and Ubisoft in Singapore.

I do hope these studios are allowed to flex their creative muscles and take lead on projects, rather than just being milked by their Western owners as cheap sources of professional expertise.

For instance, there's a sub industry in the accounting industry in Malaysia where a lot of Australian accounting is subcontracted to Malaysian accountants for a fraction of the cost. Just hope that doesn't happen to the game industry in SE Asia

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they're not growing too rapidly. Of course they have a much better sense of that than I do, but with the indefinite pause on Fallen Heroes - even if that wasn't fully them - I just want everything to go right for them. Larian is one of the best studios on the planet and they deserve nothing but success
I didn't realize they had 5 studios. I wonder if they're working on Original Sin 3 along side with Baldur's Gate 3 with that many studios.
Oh man, if DOS3 got announced alongside BG3...

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. I've never played the series but I've heard the way people speak about it. Who would that version of the game be for? You'd ditch all the people who want it for the chance at a new audience? How about...make a new IP?

for a different franchise we finally ended up w/ fallout 76 so it cant be all bad

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I'm floored by the speed at which these guys are growing.

Does this mean all 5 of these teams are working on Baldurs Gate 3?

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Would probably fit in with their low crunch strategy of having 24 hour work on a game being done by jumping between cycles of dev groups in different time zones and choosing ones that are financially viable.

II think it was the no clip documentary on making Original Sin 2 they talked about it.

AdiGrateles

Dec 6, 2017
If it's anything like previous video game studios set up here (e.g. Codemasters), most of the work will probably go towards asset creation or concept art. Great for our designers imo, but as a programmer, I'm not looking to get my hopes up.