• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

thermopyle

Nov 8, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Exhibit 4212341285 of the subtle racism and microaggressions Asians experiencing in this country. Not even surprised it's from some progressive type either. I'm sure he likes all kinds of asian food though!

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
As far as names go, hers is pretty straightforward, definitely better than a shitton of white names like McKennagh and
Ralieoghohgth

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit did he really double down by sending a second email that was even more ignorant than the first? "Eat a Dick?" Seriously? It's like he was TRYING to lose his job.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
''Phuc bui" is kind of an incredible name, and I sorta love it a little more since it got a dumbass prof fired. lol why were they even making a big deal about it?? And "Eat a dick"? Are they 16??? That's so damn rude and I'm glad the student won.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Incredibly shitty, but I'm glad the asshole made a point to leave a paper trail and evidence.

Also, stuff like this always reminds me that while I have a pretty unusual name that people can struggle to pronounce, I've never, ever experienced a negative reaction to it. Because when you're white, 'foreign' sounding names are apparently no problem.
I'm curious. Does your name come from a European language? I used to go mostly by my nickname which is common in Spanish and Catalan, but people aren't aware of it, so despite being white passing I would become suspect once they heard my name.

But in general, yes, you're right. I'm sure it would be much, much worse for me as well if I didn't have light skin.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
American doesn't mean white and American doesn't mean exclusively English, but English is arguably the current de facto American language.

All of that to say, my name isn't white, it's English.

But really the professor could have just ASKED how the name was pronounced, or just gone with the last name for all his students if he really had a hard time saying Phuc. I would have guessed it was pronounced "fook" like fool with a "ck" if I've never heard it pronounced though.

Jesus. That guy is a professor?

The last time I heard people make fun of someone's name because it sounded a bit like something sexual was in high school, and even at that age it wasn't funny. Just ask her how to pronounce it...

Also, stuff like this always reminds me that while I have a pretty unusual name that people can struggle to pronounce, I've never, ever experienced a negative reaction to it. Because when you're white, 'foreign' sounding names are apparently no problem.
As a native English speaker, I have trouble pronouncing a lot of foreign European names, especially Gaelic/Welsh/certain Italian names (in my experience).

Also in my experience a lot of foreign French/Spanish names tend to have an English "equivalent" that gets used.

However, the most confusing for me is always the ones that are English with what looks like French spelling.

For example, beauchamp being pronounced bee-chum and not bow-shawn throws me off.

Last edited:

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, North and South dialects pronounce lots of things differently along with sometimes using different vocabulary. I'd call Northern dialect the fancy or prestige version. It sounds softer, kind of like British English (pr more mandarin style?) compared to Southern dialect with is like .. North American (or more cantonese-like) style which is punchier and flatter (that's me, folks!). There's also a central dialect that I don't hear very often, but my parents make it seem like a cockney or redneck version where the emphasis on syallables are even heavier?

I think Northern dialect, Nguyen is much more like "nwinh" and Southern dialect is more like "nweeng", and add a "question mark" tone on top of both, but I could be wrong.

I'm not really able to tell what people are saying when it's not in my dialect because my own Vietnamese is so limited, but it should technically be mutually intelligible lol.

You are joking right? Heavy northern dialect sounds so weird and in no way "fancy" at all.
I speak some weird Northern/Southern/Viet Kieu mix because my family was part of operation passage to freedom (so I can also shit on both dialects as much as I want 😬) and moved away.

Central sounds ok if people don't go crazy with it.

I mainly struggle with certain people's pronunciation and vocable than with a dialect I would say. Have spent quite some time in each region in these past years.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
This reminds me of when my mom was naturalized, by the INS, the clerk wanted her to change our names to "American" names. My mom at the time, didn't realize she could refuse and keep our original name, so after her naturlization ceremony, she became Vivian, I got Paul, and my brother got Alex. They literally pulled new names from a baby book.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
I wonder if there's also people called
"Ho Lee Chit" 🤔 in real life. Awkward.

Nope because 1) that combination of sounds doesn't exist for any particular language and 2) there are no accepted romanization systems that would use that combination of spellings. Plus the whole incident started because some professor made an assumption of the pronunciation of a student's name based on English language rules and didn't bother to educate himself, so even if there really was someone named "Ho Lee-Shih" wouldn't it be equally important to NOT do the same thing he did? :/

Besides, the English language has graced us with such names as Harry Baals, Dick Assman, or even Dick Pound, name of a former IOC vice president. Now imagine that name being announced to stadiums of people over loudspeaker... Now that's awkward.

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
You are joking right? Heavy northern dialect sounds so weird and in no way "fancy" at all.
I speak some weird Northern/Southern/Viet Kieu mix because my family was part of operation passage to freedom (so I can also shit on both dialects as much as I want 😬) and moved away.

Central sounds ok if people don't go crazy with it.

I mainly struggle with certain people's pronunciation and vocable than with a dialect I would say. Have spent quite some time in each region in these past years.
I'm not! I guess it's outsider perception! Hahaha

My parents are always making fun of things like GPS that uses Vietnamese Northern (Bach?) dialect, but are also a little jealous that Bach dialect overtakes everything or seems to be the main export language in media lol. Is it due to the North "winning" the war or generally being closer to the China border so they get more trade and influence? I don't know.

Heroicpiglet

Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
I'm not! I guess it's outsider perception! Hahaha

My parents are always making fun of things like GPS that uses Vietnamese Northern (Bach?) dialect, but are also a little jealous that Bach dialect overtakes everything or seems to be the main export language in media lol. Is it due to the North "winning" the war or generally being closer to the China border so they get more trade and influence? I don't know.
Its because Bac dialect is the standard dialect

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, like that is why I have little patient for white people nonsense. I have gone through all my life of white people struggling to pronounce my name.

That shit is straight up causal racism.

Jesus. That guy is a professor?

The last time I heard people make fun of someone's name because it sounded a bit like something sexual was in high school, and even at that age it wasn't funny. Just ask her how to pronounce it...

Not having a go at you but this is what we mean by white privilege. You never had a negative reaction and never will. Heck white people can easily pronounce Schwarzenegger but struggle pronounce a basic name like Hasan.

You have no idea much privilege of being white grants you, the world is literally your oyster because white folks set out that way and it is infuriating.

Get fucked, boy. This hits close to home.

I have an Arabic name and I distinctly remember in 7th grade we had this substitute teacher, a full on MAGA type, mispronounce and butcher my name, I said "here" regardless and someone else thankfully corrected him. He got pissed and complained and asked why I couldn't have a "good American name like John or Jim", I kid you not. Fucking racist trash. This was also near 9/11 so I faced all kinds of discrimination around those days, even in California.

I hear you, many of my white teachers struggled to pronounce mine and other non-white kids name. My dad even told me of the time when his white co-worker told him that his name was too hard to pronounce so he's gonna call him Fred. My dad of course told him no as that is not his name.

I even once had a co-worker who kept failing to pronounce my name and just gave up trying to learn it with just a hand wave.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA

denseWorm

Banned
May 15, 2020
What is this numbnuts so fucking smart about that he can be a college professor (or, janitor or whatever he is) but can't be smart enough to accept cultural differences? I doubt this is the first time this wanker has used innuendo to brow beat a minority or foreign student into submitting to his personal preferences~

Innuendo is an underappreciated weapon rich/influential white men have ceaselessly used to destroy countless dissenters.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Why not just ask her how to pronounce her name? It might be a little awkward, but then you would know it and this whole thing could have been avoided. I've known college professors who have struggled with names, but were willing to learn. Not knowing how to pronounce someone's name isn't bad, but refusing to try and to make them accept a new one for your convenience is just gross.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fact that he didn't ask how to pronounce her name, but demanded she anglicize it...and then doubled down on that after she pushed back...holy shit.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Jesus Christ the double down. That guy is trash.

People have names. Ask them how to pronounce it. I've never met someone that got upset if you ask them politely rather than make some snide comment about it.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
My name is European origin, but it still has an unintuitive pronunciation, so over the years I've learned to just both pronounce and spell it upfront to avoid all the confused looks and/or complete mangling of the pronunciation. It's a little annoying. But it's just annoying. Can't imagine if I spent my whole life doing that not just for convenience sake, but because some racist idiot might give me an earful about how offensive my name is to him. I'd go nuts.

i know the answer already, but what would he do if it was a white american called:
- anita fuchs
- amanda cummings
- hugh jass
- wayne king

or whatever. would he have demanded a name change? doubtful, yet those names (which can be real) are all much worse looking (in his logic) than the example he was bothered with

just weird anyway. i know tons of chinese people or nearby and you just call them by what they want. some use anglicized names, some dont. its like calling michael by mikey. do that, or use michael. dont demand he use mikey. simple stuff that the professor absolutely should have known
I've met someone who went by Dick Hunter. Man lived his whole life with Richard right there as an option but decided to just embrace the jokes, I guess. He's braver than me.

But obviously that's a choice he made and not imposed on him by a racist professor.

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah and I think dialects become standard due to things like perception of prestige and economic strength.

Not that it stops my parents from disliking or making fun of it due to historic tensions between the north and south lol.
My parents are from the south, so that's always been the default for me. The north dialect sounds very harsh to me, and the central one throws me off because the intonations seem completely different. But I'm illiterate so what do I know? D: