• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

So I'm disgusted and disappointed. Honestly, I really liked laney college but this teacher had the ignorance and audacity to tell my sister to anglicized her name is disgusting. Anglicized means to make English in form or character. As a professor, he should be trying to learn her name and culture and not try to white wash her name. My sister graduated high school thinking she can finally be able to use her name. But this is fucking disgusting. I really hate cussing on social media but the fact that this white professor had the audacity to ask her to make her name easier is disgusting 🤮🤮🤮🤮. If you read the last page, he's calling my sister's name an embarrassment and that it's sounds like an insult. I love that my parents want to keep my culture alive by keeping our Vietnamese name. If you can't say it then ask. In addition, Hubbard said that English is his language. But also forgot that my sister also spoke English and that's not his language.

Ea0uVzyU4AEfiuk

Ea0uV1AUMAAaTW1

The professor has since been put on administrative leave:

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
What a moron, anyone with half a brain would know it is not pronounced "Fuck boy". Then sending that email is just wrong on so many levels.

Dec 31, 2017
The name "dick" is literally accepted in American society.

The way the professor made this "request" you can tell that he was trying to make a "stand" against some imaginary line of "now we've gone too far with multiculturalism."

Learn to pronounce it properly.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine actually thinking that would be a good thing to say to a student, with a paper trail, in 2020.

Even if he wasn't incredibly racist (which, to be clear, he very much is) he deserves to lose his teaching job because he's an idiot.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Insensitive Commentary
... Is that pronounced how it looks like it is? I don't know if I could keep a straight face the first few times.

That being said, it's their name, just use it, christ. My current boss still misspells my last name despite working together for 8 months and I take huge insult every time he does it, and that's way less of an insult than this.

Even if you can't help yourself, just call them *Appropriate title* Nguyen instead.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
At my uni in Alabama we had a faculty member named "Bich" and nobody made her feel bad that I'm aware of. This is fucking horseshit, who cares if her name sounds like something else in another language? It's her name fuck off

Daneel_O

Oct 28, 2017
"An offensive sound in my language" as in, the same language where a common first name literally means penis?

I'm still puzzled that these people would jeopardize their entire career and life over something so petty, but please keep going!

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
People do mock Asian names like this so I get why some people anglicize their own names, but that's not how you'd raise the issue if you're concerned about the other person. Hell, it's not your issue to raise. Just don't be an ass about their name and keep the thought in your head unless they tell you they're having problems with it.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm dying. I met plenty of teachers who adjusted fine pronouncing viet names. He just didn't want to try.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For people who don't know, Laney College is a community college in Oakland, CA. There is a very large Asian population so I am shocked someone would think this is a good idea.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Is it pronounced as fuck boy or did he just assume it was?

Assumed.

Vietnamese is a tonal language and there would be quite a few ways to pronounce it depending on how it's written. There is a typical way her name is written and pronounced but you'd have to stretch it pretty hard to get fuck boy out of it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't say it then ask. In addition, Hubbard said that English is his language. But also forgot that my sister also spoke English and that's not his language.
Looking at it again, I wasn't even thinking about how it treats her like she doesn't understand the English language. This is bad on multiple levels.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The name "dick" is literally accepted in American society.

The way the professor made this "request" you can tell that he was trying to make a "stand" against some imaginary line of "now we've gone too far with multiculturalism."

Learn to pronounce it properly.

Maybe he wants to fill in the vacancy of the "conservative professer oppressed by SJW students" niche left by Jordan Peterson.

Expect to hear the announcement of his self help book's release date by the end of the year.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
lol the first mail was bad enough but the second one doubling down on it is some grade a shit sauce

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Strange thing is that by his Twitter account he seems very liberal, messages in support of blm, against Rowling and Trump, etc. Though I wonder if these were added afterwards
(Same name, same city and tweeting about math when he is a math prof makes it an almost certain match)

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I would have told him "pronounce it like "fook bwee" so there won't be any problems, but he doesn't need to include her middle name anyway! So what the heck?

I always end up telling people to pronounce my name as "fong" (Phuong) even though "foongh" is a closer sound approximation if I leave out the heavy tone, but it makes me cringe hearing people trying to pronounce that, so I went the easy route for non-tonal tongues lol.

Same with Nguyen. "weengh" is completely unintuitive, so I tell people to say "new yen" so I at least know it's me being addressed.

Baalzebup

Oct 25, 2017
For a person who didn't want to mispronounce a name (that doesn't actually read out as such) as fuck boy, they certainly were behaving like one.

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus. That guy is a professor?

The last time I heard people make fun of someone's name because it sounded a bit like something sexual was in high school, and even at that age it wasn't funny. Just ask her how to pronounce it...

Also, stuff like this always reminds me that while I have a pretty unusual name that people can struggle to pronounce, I've never, ever experienced a negative reaction to it. Because when you're white, 'foreign' sounding names are apparently no problem.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have told him "pronounce it like "fook bwee" so there won't be any problems, but he doesn't need to include her middle name anyway! So what the heck?

I always end up telling people to pronounce my name as "fong" (Phuong) even though "foongh" is a closer sound approximation if I leave out the heavy tone, but it makes me cringe hearing people trying to pronounce that, so I went the easy route for non-tonal tongues lol.

Same with Nguyen. "weengh" is completely unintuitive, so I tell people to say "new yen" so I at least know it's me being addressed.

It's actually not that hard if folks can bother to make an effort. Hope that bastard in the OP is fired.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually not that hard if folks can bother to make an effort. Hope that bastard in the OP is fired.
It actually sounds bad to my ears when people miss out the exact tone, and makes me cringe when people wedge in tone in the middle of an english speech pattern. Might as well call me by a completely different name at that point lol. I am used to it by now anyway. Even my sibs just use my self-chosen "english" pnounciation when we're talking in English, which is almost all the time.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We just had a thread about an athlete named Ginny Fuchs Which Americans literally pronunce Fucks (the correct German pronunciation would also be different though) and people have rightly mentioned the name Dick.

Can't believe this was a real request.Fro
The thread title I thought he asked for something easier to pronunce.

Is it pronounced as fuck boy or did he just assume it was?

No it isn't.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It actually sounds bad to my ears when people miss out the exact tone, and makes me cringe when people wedge in tone in the middle of an english speech pattern. Might as well call me by a completely different name at that point lol. I am used to it by now anyway. Even my sibs just use my self-chosen "english" pnounciation when we're talking in English, which is almost all the time.

My favourite is when I hear the name pronounced as Noo-Goo-Yen.

Sometimes NooGenn

In Australia, it's commonly pronounced (and tolerated) as Newen.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'd certainly butcher Nguyen too, lord knows I did until I learned how it's said heh

That's nothing you can blame people for though. The pronunciation quite difficult and even though I have an relatively easy name (not Nguyen), no westerner I know pronounced it right.

Last edited:

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
My favourite is when I hear the name pronounced as Noo-Goo-Yen.

Sometimes NooGenn

In Australia, it's commonly pronounced (and tolerated) as Newen.
I had a gym teacher pronounced it as ni-GUY-en haha. I let it slide because I thought it was funny if not awkward.

You'd pretty much have to take a course in linguistics to understand how the Vietnamese alphabet and accent tones work if it's not your native language, so I let a lot slide. It's probably not as hard as mandarin to learn, because at least there's an alphabet to sound out, but the pronounciations themselves are near impossible if you haven't trained to hear and say them for much of your life. Even my sibs have lost a lot of that ability.. their vietnamese speaking skills are terrible. Even mine are like.. early grade school level lol.

hordak

Oct 31, 2017
Anaheim, CA
It's hard enough pronouncing pho. Non-Vietnamese people fuck up the saying all the time. No one demands it be called Vietnamese noodles in beef broth.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I had a Spanish teacher in high school insist my name was pronounced "Rah Mos" and not "Ray Mos". We pronounce it differently for a reason. Because my family fought the Spanish and then the US in the Philippines. So we pronounce it differently in defiance. Sure I sound like a Star Wars Jedi but whatever. We aren't what you want us to be. I am behind this Vietnamese student.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I had a Spanish teacher in high school insist my name was pronounced "Rah Mos" and not "Ray Mos". We pronounce it differently for a reason. Because my family fought the Spanish and then the US in the Philippines. So we pronounce it differently in defiance. Sure I sound like a Star Wars Jedi but whatever. We aren't what you want us to be. I am behind this Vietnamese student.
Yeah, he should have just asked her how she prefer him to pronounce it, tell her he is sorry if he messes up the first few times but he'll try, and leave it at that.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I had a gym teacher pronounced it as ni-GUY-en haha. I let it slide because I thought it was funny if not awkward.

You'd pretty much have to take a course in linguistics to understand how the Vietnamese alphabet and accent tones work if it's not your native language, so I let a lot slide. It's probably not as hard as mandarin to learn, because at least there's an alphabet to sound out, but the pronounciations themselves are near impossible if you haven't trained to hear and say them for much of your life. Even my sibs have lost a lot of that ability.. their vietnamese speaking skills are terrible. Even mine are like.. early grade school level lol.

I still catch myself trying to sound out words as if I were in a phonics class the couple times a year I try reading Vietnamese haha. It's shocking.

Last edited: