• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
www.forbes.com

Some Landlords Are Illegally Spying On Tenants’ Stimulus Check Status

Some landlords are impersonating tenants to check the status of their stimulus check payments on the IRS "Get My Payment" portal and then harassing them to pay their rent

Stimulus payments, intended to help those struggling due to the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, started reaching Americans last week. The Treasury Department and Internal Revenue Service (IRS) expected up to 80 million Americans to receive their payments via direct deposit by April 15, with paper checks being mailed starting next week. While millions are awaiting their payments to help with necessities, landlords are also eager for their tenants to receive stimulus checks, so they can pay rent. Unfortunately, some landlords have not just been waiting patiently; instead, some appear to be resorting to illegal tactics to learn when their tenants are receiving their payments in order to pressure them to pay.

To clarify, it's illegal to use the IRS site using someone else's information. This is the tweet that has been making the rounds. The landlord used the info gathered from tenants to log into the IRS site to see if they got their checks, then they contacted individual renters to get them to use the money for rent.

Stay safe everyone. Know your rights, and don't get pushed around by greedy landlords.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
there was already a thread, but yea that dude should get called out on social media for it. I'm pretty sure it's illegal too to do that too.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
So hey, I couldn't happen but notice you got a sizable check of $1200 from a pretty high up guy with a super fancy signature... You weren't planning on buying canned goods with that were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.