• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Came across this article and found it to be quite interesting. States that a class of blood pressure medications, including ACE inhibitors and ARBs increases ACE2 expression within the body, particularly within the epithelial cells of the lungs, and that Coronavirus binds with ACE2 enzyme. Therefore increasing the severity of COVID-19 infection in people taking these medications. Cardiologist groups are stating there is no evidence to support this hypothesis and to continue taking your medications. Interestingly enough Ibuprofuen increases ACE2 expression as well. Any thoughts?

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanres/PIIS2213-2600(20)30116-8.pdf

Edit: Adding video by a Cardiologist speaking on this subject and why you should continue taking your blood pressure medications. Adding for balance in subject.

Last edited:

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
I'd follow the general Cardiologist opinion on taking my medicine over a website I found online.

Edit: I was unaware Lancet was a highly reviewed medical journal. However, based on what I read it was more of a hypothesis article rather than a study offering any conclusive evidence. So ultimately something to be ignored by people not in the medical profession.

Last edited:

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I think this has been talked about before, but it's link is still unclear.

Seems like everything in the Wiki page for Covid-19 last week is surfacing this week.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
seems like it's something that should be tested and examined more

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
I'd follow the general Cardiologist opinion on taking my medicine over a website I found online.

This is preliminary, so yes, you should follow your doctor's advice, but it's worth pointing out that the Lancet is one of the top peer-reviewed medical journals, not just a random website.

flawfuls

Oct 28, 2017
c
The article is just putting forward a hypothesis with pretty much no evidece to back it up, which is not to say its a bad article. It's pretty much a suggestion to put some reasearch into this area and I don't think reasearh is all that easy to do in the middle of a pandemic.

IMO it's a big logical leap to say that ACEI make covid worse just because they act on the same thing. Its very possible a corralation =/= causation given that ACEI are very commonly used for diabetes and hypertension and the disease themselves are risk factors for covid.

To be fair the lancet is one of the most well regarded medical journals out there.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
This is preliminary, so yes, you should follow your doctor's advice, but it's worth pointing out that the Lancet is one of the top peer-reviewed medical journals, not just a random website.
Good to know.

With so many rumored Covid remedies being thrown around I think being overly cautious/skeptical towards any study is the correct response.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
The Lancet is only relevant for medical professionals (and other scientists in related fields). It could be true, but giving this information to the average person will just lead to them making irrational, unscientific decisions like not taking the blood pressure medication that's keeping them alive. Studies need to be done to see if this hypothesis has merit, and if so, the safest course of action from there.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm just a med student, but I remember just before we recalled from clinical sites - a cardiologist was worried patients were going to stop taking their meds cause of this finding. He had to talk down several patients from stopping even before the situation blew up to its current state.

Obviously this hypothesis needs more research, but in the mean time it seems pretty haphazard to stop taking your meds when your body has already upregulated those receptors. Stopping your meds won't reverse that up regulation overnight, but it might worsen your cardiac disease.

Take your meds people

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just a med student, but I remember just before we recalled from clinical sites - a cardiologist was worried patients were going to stop taking their meds cause of this finding. He had to talk down several patients from stopping even before the situation blew up to its current state.

Obviously this hypothesis needs more research, but in the mean time it seems pretty haphazard to stop taking your meds when your body has already upregulated those receptors. Stopping your meds won't reverse that up regulation overnight, but it might worsen your cardiac disease.

Take your meds people

lol I was definitely about to stop taking these pills. I'm on a low dosage (only 25mg of losartan, which is usually given at 50mg or higher), but you're right in that things wouldn't go back to normal "overnight".

OP
OP
Heraldic

Heraldic

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Take your meds people
Do you know how many days it would take for upregulation to reverse? Asking for a friend.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
This is somewhat old news, and now there's an opinion out there that those medications might help block the virus (or so says Dr Drew on a recent podcast).

Either way, the recommendation (Dr Drew/Everyone) is stay the course because there is absolutely not enough evidence yet either way and stopping vital medication will put you at risk for what you're taking it for in the first place.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I've read a couple of papers on this in the journals, it does look like ACE metabolism has an association with COVID-19 risk. However, that is not saying much. In general, yield on scientific consensus, which is the foundation of current modern medicine. If your doctor prescribed you an ACE inhibitor, keep taking it.