• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
The link doesn't work anymore, what was that?
It was a white girl doing a tiktok or some shit and she was introducing her "black best friend" before saying, "see I'm not racist"

at that point the black woman scoffs, wags her finger and says, "that's a good one."

the video cuts off as the white girl says, "okay, people online are calling me a racist because i sang the n-word..."

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think she considers it an issue. Her adopted aesthetic has always been nostalgic reactionary. I don't know if it was a 100% LARP or if she actually thinks that era was cool for women, PoCs...
It was 99% LARP, but it got to the point where it seemingly went in a complete circle with her racism and stunts like this lately, so I guess in that case it became a lot less LARP.

pechorin

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
am i the only one who doesn't even understand what she's trying to say in the first pic? wtf is she talking about lol

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
MY BOYFRIENDS HAVE BEEN RAPPERS

what a weird statement to put out while announcing a new album. People loved her last album, don't understand why she's going about it this way ha.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
See through? Isn't that just a net?
Net? More like increasing her net worth!

tenor.gif

am i the only one who doesn't even understand what she's trying to say in the first pic? wtf is she talking about lol
Basically "Hey all this crazy shit with terrorists invading the US Capitol happened but my super cool music came out of it, so I guess it wasn't all bad eh?"

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
MY BOYFRIENDS HAVE BEEN RAPPERS

what a weird statement to put out while announcing a new album. People loved her last album, don't understand why she's going about it this way ha.
She whined about her successful and high quality album (NFR) not being #1 above Ariana Grande, Doja Cat, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Beyonce, and other women of color (other than Ariana Grande). NO idea why she was whining about that shit either when her album was plenty successful, but racists gonna racist it seems.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, she really said "I even have black friends" as a defense. Absolutely awful. If she wanted to defend her album cover, she could've just said those were her friends, no need to use POC as tokens. Shows her true colors.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
She is absolute trash. Into the bin she goes.

Too many people still listen to her over overrated music.

Last edited:

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear, I was literally at the end of listening to NFR when I saw this thread. The original post was hand-wobbly "ehhh" maybe in poor taste.

The I KNOW RAPPERS post is where I audibly went "Oh god". There's no defending that.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I canceled her after she started dating that cop. Then tried to defend it with the lame duck "He's one of the good ones" lines.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Dude that is a good album title lol It's Relationship of Command good. Like damn! I'm sure the music sucks.
Fuck the rest of this, though.

Her music is good, and her most recent album is her best one yet. Also because mainstream audiences don't care about racism or buffoonery and will let her comments slide in a second.
Her music is super boring

Last edited:

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
It was 99% LARP, but it got to the point where it seemingly went in a complete circle with her racism and stunts like this lately, so I guess in that case it became a lot less LARP.

Yup. I am on this line.

I took her persona more like the show Mad Men - showing the veneer of America's golden age was built on sexism, racism, and run by men who hate themselves even tho they are wearing superbly tailored suits.

It's really hard to not real her lyrics and not see how fucked up the world is she's portraying and how the writer has to see how bad it is for the world. So her whole 'I love abusive bad boys assholes but everyone tells me they are a catch, that's America and I love it!' is so on the nose, it obviously has to be a critique.

But man, someone lost the plot.

NateDog

"This guy are sick"
Jan 8, 2018
Saddening for me since she's one of the few artists I've stuck with over the last good number of years but I'm not surprised looking at the mask thing a few months back and just the tone of some of the stuff she posts on YT sometimes. I'm not even convinced the title of the album is sarcastic either.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
None of note. Did somebody mention them in this thread?
www.resetera.com

Lana Del Rey hits back at critics who say she "glamorizes abuse" by dismissing other artists, mostly WOC

Twitter was on fire this morning: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/21/lana-del-rey-hits-back-at-critics-who-say-she-glamorises-abuse The thing is she's got a point; she got alot of shit by critics over the years. For being a indie white artist her singing about fucking the wrong...

Basically here's the short of it:

"Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, fucking, cheating etc – can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money – or whatever I want – without being crucified or saying that I'm glamorising abuse??????"

All of the artists namedropped there are women of color with the exception of Ariana Grande. She also doubles (or quadruples) down on it later.

Oh god y'all she quadrupled down

She's had other really stupid statements too, such as her comments about Israel:

www.theguardian.com

Lana Del Rey defends decision to perform in Israel: 'Music is universal'

American singer says she does not necessarily support governments in countries in which she performs

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Her last album had maybe 2 good songs out of the whole thing.
LANA notmy Bae any more.

Didn't she use another tragedy or major event to promote her previous album as well?

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Lana Del Rey hits back at critics who say she "glamorizes abuse" by dismissing other artists, mostly WOC

Twitter was on fire this morning: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/21/lana-del-rey-hits-back-at-critics-who-say-she-glamorises-abuse The thing is she's got a point; she got alot of shit by critics over the years. For being a indie white artist her singing about fucking the wrong...

Basically here's the short of it:

All of the artists namedropped there are women of color with the exception of Ariana Grande. She also doubles (or quadruples) down on it later.

She's had other really stupid statements too, such as her comments about Israel:

www.theguardian.com

Lana Del Rey defends decision to perform in Israel: 'Music is universal'

American singer says she does not necessarily support governments in countries in which she performs

Thanks for catching me up. Then to double down with "i have black friends". Just typical white racism. Strong karen vibes. LOL

edit: Wow such self-victimhood too in that other doubling down.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
She seems like a shitty, possibly unintelligent person. I could never get into her albums either. Was kind of baffled at the acclaim her last one received. Outside of a couple tracks I find her stuff consistently boring.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Why is she still relevant?
Norman Fucking Rockwell, her sixth and most recent album was one of the best received albums of 2019, making appearances throughout a hugely diverse amount of year end "top lists" and even making several appearances in plenty of decade top lists. Essentially, she's been more relevant these past couple of years than she's ever been in her entire career.
Personally I'm not that enthralled by her work, but the answer to your question seems to be "because her recent musical output is widely considered to be very good".

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
This whole hate-on for pop era is so weird. I'm not even among them, but there's just a strange amount of vitriol toward them in general. Pop music is also a lot more than Dua Lipa, Lana Del Rey, and Sia.

CHARLI XCX HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING WRONG AND MAKES GOOD MUSIC.

THIS IS AN XCX THREAD NOW.

I DO NOT CARE FOR THE IRITATING DEL REY PERSON OR HER SHIT SOFT MUSIC.

THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT XCX WORLD AND SPECIFICALLY TAXI.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Her last album was the first one of hers that really clicked with me, like a Joni Mitchell/ Leonard Cohen type of thing that suits her really well. That Instagram post tho.....come on now.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"White Dress" is fantastic but otherwise the album is too boring even for LDR standards. NFR remains great though.