• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You don't understand. You see, our morals, our code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, she's not a monster. She's just ahead of the curve.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Saying it was necessary is insulting to the victims of what she deems "necessary".

I know this is a long answer but I think this is really the most important thing I'll say in this interview. I think, for the people who stormed the Capitol, it's disassociated rage. They want to wile out somewhere. And it's like, we don't know how to find a way to be wild in our world. And at the same time, the world is so wild…

Man... "The Trumpers just need to let off steam, but man the world is crazy." That's all I got out of this doo-doo of a statement.

Just holy fuck, she can speak for days and not say a single actual thing!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Trump being elected made many people realise how many bigots, alt-righters and racists there are in the US and in the whole world tbh, but still - if he had not won, many racist bigots would not get enabled so hard as they did.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I mean he's had businesses go bankrupt and buildings demolished and it's been known he's an awful business man but he still got elected by dummies

If you didn't see that in 2016 and up to 2020 then idk what to tell you

Sad thing is that if the death was 100K and people were getting checks every month then he'd have been elected again

The only good thing in 2016 and 2020 to know about voters is that they are here and in huge numbers, that's a wake up call to those saying racism is low, it's high

Nov 7, 2017
How can you say this especially with the botched COVID response and the failed coup???? What a idiot
We should have asked Ja Rule about his thoughts instead

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
You don't understand. You see, our morals, our code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these... these civilized people, they'll eat each other. See, she's not a monster. She's just ahead of the curve.
Lyrics?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Literally everything terrible (and much worse than imagined) that half the people of countries of the Western hemisphere warned about and feared with regards to Trump at least a year ahead of the 2016 election came to pass...

Always fun when the bubble of the rich becomes visible and celebrities are exposed discussing issues way out of their league.

Stick to making the same bittersweet song.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
There is a take where you acknowledge this country's inability to listen to marginalized voices and state that the last four years was an unnecessary shock to their system. Key word, unnecessary; not needed.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Wait what happened with her first SNL appearance?

Blue cheese,
white sh???
Walked into the room you know you made my eyes ḅ̷͚̟̣͓̎̂̾̽̇̇͌̏̃̉͑͘͘ͅu̶̪̗̥̙̥͛̏́r̵̨̢̢͓͇̭̦̪̹̮̋͆͆̋͗̌̄̓̉͋̄͌́͘̚͝͝͠ņ̴̢̥̫͓̟̤̰͓̟̮̼̘͍̭̞̭͕͗̓̅̇̈̿̔͊͋͑̉́̆͑̍̿

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
I definitely agree we needed something to kinda shock us back to our senses as a nation. It's unfortunate that Trump was the one to do it though, and it's really sad overall.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
All it did was embolden the narcissists and make them go crazy, Lana.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It was terrible. She was horribly off key and off time. Also a total dead fish. She looked like a 10 year in front of her first audience at a talent show and sounded just as bad.
I've seen her in person. She wasn't too bad. Was the headline event as well. Governor's Ball 2015.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think that time she used witchcraft against him was just a publicity stunt.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
If it's all the same for everyone, I'd say that right now is the perfect time to hear about what some silly celebrity thinks about the state of our country.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There might be an argument for being the President Americans deserved but certainly not the one they needed.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
There's a point to be made in the fact there are definitely people out there hurting other people, and that is hard to deal with, but US having Trump as president is like a completely different point she's making lmao.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The world didn't need either of these things to understand their impact. Human beings are resilient. They will come out of bad situations with solutions but the entire point of our pursuit of systems and science is to stave off the immeasureable damage that can be caused when these things occur or stop them from occuring at all.

No one needed a Trump to see what could happen to a morally bankrupt government and a racist people. We have like a million examples in history to look at.
I agree that there are many horrible people out there but trump is a very special breed of terrible.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
There is this theory that Trump being in charge will force a major progressive change but it's bullshit! The U.S. is set up that large radical change is not possible, it has to happen in increments. All Trump being president did was cause more increments that have to be met.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a few of Era's closet accelerationists edge around this argument as close as they can without getting banned. Reeks of someone who isn't affected by those policies and the type of people he emboldens to be able to just toss in a "if you don't count all the horrible stuff, the just bad stuff was a wake up call" kind of take.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah what she said is like saying we needed the Holocaust to happen.

Yes, the Trump presidency exposed a lot of problems to people they weren't aware of them. 300,000 deaths to a virus that could have been prevented was not worth it. Full stop.

You know what also would have exposed those problems? If Hillary Clinton won, we would have to have faced the fact that half the country voted for someone like Trump. Almost like how we're doing that now with Biden winning and beating Trump: We're currently facing the fact that "Hey 50% of the country is totally a-okay with that shit.", except we're paying even more for it since he already had a term and we got shit like last Wednesday.
I think the difference between Holocaust and Covid deaths are that the Nazi voluntarily and intentionally killed off people while Trump was simply to stupid to make the right calls and ultimately send out wrong signals. However Trump is a symptom and not the cause. As you pointed out many people voted for Trump but do you think they would have not voted for any other loud mouthed, racist buffoon that the GOP put up there?

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
As a fan of her music, I wish she would just stop talking at this point. I can't in good conscience even listen to the new CD now.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are we sure she isn't playing a character at this point? I mean, a different character than she has always played in her musical career.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
At least half a million people will be dead because of covid. Sure Trump's residency is needed.
What a disgusting thing to say, Lana!!

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
I dont know the history of her in this regard. I just saw the other thread where she promoted her album while discussing the insurrection.

Yes, combined with this interview (and everything else), there's just too much other stuff to listen to than bother with her anymore. I get it that this is part of her "act", but time for me to move on.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Hmm... well, I mean aside from that very first sentence which was less of a "necessity" and more of an "inevitability" (the repudiation of multi-racial governance by the white folks; The Atlantic wrote a fantastic piece on it), the reasons she outlines sound so much like they are partially correct but within the greater context of the going-ons in the world is also very much disconnected from reality aka privilege of ignorance.

Trump's presidency has definitely emboldened people, including politicians to be able to say the 'quiet part out loud' and they are abundantly symptomatic of bigotry, racism, xenophobia, anti-intellectualism and cynicism the a dangerously large portion of country espouses. And consequently (among other issues like Climate change and its short and long term effects and COVID response), be it out of fear, anger and/or hope, voter apathy has declined by staggering margins. Within one Trump term, the turn out among black voters courtesy of grassroot movements led by PoC dem representative (esp. black) was something to behold. Consequently in the mid-terms, House of Rep gained 41 seats, as well as gained seven state governorships, control of approximately 350 state legislative seats, and control of six state legislative chambers.

And of course, historic levels of turn out among PoC (again, largely black communities) is what helped Biden win the 2020 election as well as ensure Senate majority , lest folks forget, Trump also secured the a record 2nd highest no. of votes in the history of US election (tells how dangerous and successful the concoction of bigotry, racism, xenophobia and disinformation and misinformation is).

Most importantly, the Trump presidency has done, if accountability still matters, significant damage to the GOP (the party of trickle down economics, redlining, .... got mine fuck you) that, should the dems play their cards right, really leverage for positive change.

Of course, all of this came at a great cost both in lives and suffering of American citizens as well as migrants from the countries that US has historically had a hand in destabilizing. And honestly, it would seem like karmic comeuppance if it weren't for the downtrodden, aka the poor and PoC (esp. those w/limited means) who have and continue to die and suffer disproportionately.

Within the greater context, the one definite takeaway from Trump presidency is not that was needed but that it was inevitable where:
  • Lies (aka Alternate facts) hold the same measure of power as the proven facts
  • Propagation of disproven or unproven conspiracy is encouraged because they are good for ratings
  • Rules have become mere guidelines for many politicians
  • Laws work differently for the rich, the rich and white and rest esp. PoCs
  • The right-wing does not deal in good faith in both their arguments and actions
  • Vilification of poverty is done by way of pointing to "others" instead of analyzing the institution of unchecked capitalism
  • There is no governmental infrastructure for combating disinformation and misinformation from beyond and within its own borders
  • Where a large portion of the country, almost wholly white, would abandon democracy than fascism because the latter espouses certain shared core religious beliefs
Fact is, if the government fails to recognize the damage the continuous stream of misinformation and disinformation has done and continues to do because it would somehow be "un-American" to act, then a Trump 2.0 or even worse is an inevitability within the next few decades, esp. as the more egregious effects of climate change starts to take hold as well as the economic disparity continues to grow.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
350k of us had to die to know who we are. And she really needs to stop speaking in past tense this shit has been always part of the country