• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Top to bottom garbage post, especially because she is coming off the heels off of an acclaimed album. I don't follow or try to seek out news about racism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, etc. for the specific reason that I don't like being reminded that my identity as a biracial pan woman is the cause of ire for a lot of people; I like to believe in the best of people, and that they are capable of changing their minds because no one is borne unto this world with hating other people. But, let's put a pin on that, I'll address this later on why I'm so disappointed, especially now.

The Lana post and white people talking over the concerns of black women is the height of misogynoir. The entire first paragraph of her post invalidated everything she had to say regarding her art. The comparative suffering is unnecessary, and the framing of these, largely, women of color as jezebels that don't receive any slates from society is entirely, observably false. Every single woman, yes, even the white ones, but it's not about them, get pushback for trying to own to own their sexuality. But women of color are especially plagued with being treated as mere items in more recent history. Black women are jezebels, Asian women are submissive, Latina women are oversexualized, etc.

Now, going back to my extreme disappointment. Lana used to be one of my favorite artists. I loved the way her songwriting envisions the world that she's built and the exquisite melodies behind them. I've spent most of my adolescence using Lana's music as a backing track to unwind. Now, as someone that tries their very best to separate the art from the artist, I will now consistently be reminded of the trauma that she's subjected me to when I try to go back to works of art that I know the ins and outs of.

Couple this with the fact that so much of her core fanbase is so willing to tell us to "read the whole thing." I have, several times, just to make sure I was missing something, but the subtext in her message is clear. She frames herself as a "fragile" white women. One that is drowned out by "stronger women"—without a doubt referencing the women of color earlier in her post. This language is so triggering for me, and I'm sure many others.

Also, Lana, it is perfectly fine for you to glamorize abuse, the lolita kink, the whatever, but other women are allowed to call you out on it too. Your art is not immune from criticism, and while I enjoy your work, people are absolutely allowed to take what they're given and then criticize it. Ultraviolence is, by all intents and purposes, an album that glamorizes abuse.

That all said, I'm sorry. But I'm going to have to take a step back from her work. I'm disappointed.
Great post, Pollen.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 month): dismissing racism
This is so misleading. it does not add up when you read the title, and what she actually said.

I don't think she's attacking these women and their music in her post. She just mentioned the biggest women in music, and they happen to be mostly black.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is so misleading. it does not add up when you read the title, and what she actually said.

I don't think she's attacking these women and their music in her post. She just mentioned the biggest women in music, and they happen to be mostly black.

White people stay getting the benefit of the doubt when it comes to racism.

Man, what must it be like to get the benefit of the doubt even when your words and actions betray that benefit.

I legit can't imagine.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

There's a good amount of white women that are also currently really big that she didn't mention, like Billie Eilish.

I don't think it's anything about them "happening to be black" here.

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Whenever someone plays the "I'm a POC" game to excuse anti-black racism, you already know what time it is

That's a personal pet peeve of mine because it's so disingenuous.

They know what background they are from but hid behind the "poc" banner to "earn points" enough to tell you blacks to shut up about racism

As if being "poc" or even "black" means you can support or protect anti-black racism...

Less than 300 posts since 2017. yeah ok

As for the gaslighting fest on the first two-three pages, some people need to see a dead body or the hardest slurs before they "can see how this is a race issue"

and if you put a white woman face to your racism, some types will always forgive it
This is ridiculous, and you should be embarrassed. As if a post count has anything to do with the validity of anybody's statements. It also doesn't matter my race. If I am visibly black or not. I am mixed race and get confused for all kinds of things. In either case it does not matter because I experience otherness just the same. I'm not here to dick measure about post count and call my opinion superior to yours because I've got more or less. Get a hold of yourself. I can see you guys are very inflamed about what she said. I'm not excusing it either, I can see how it can be interpreted really badly. However, do I think that was her intention? I'm not sure i'd go that far without having a conversation or a discussion with her about it. But here you all go ready to ASSUME a hell of a lot. Just like you are ASSUMING a lot about me and where I come from. I'm either with you or I'm not, no grey area, no room for other experiences. Absolutely insane.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020

Oh yes, Kehlani, one of the biggest women in music, with her zero top 40 hits.

Everyone knows there's a shortage of huge white female popstars.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
IMO I think Pollen 's post should be threadmarked for all the posters that come in with impressions based on the headline.

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't even like Lana, for what it's worth.

I'm not sure punching down is the right term for this; she acknowledged all of the top artists in her field (most being PoC) and how they have #1 hits. All she was doing was criticizing the media for their treatment of her past work. At least that's all I'm getting from. The title makes it seem like she attacked them each personally.

I'm not a fan of hers.
There is a lot to unpack here but I'll go with what was immediately evident when I first read your post: Lana is using black women as a weapon to validate her talking point. If she wanted to specifically talk about patriarchal white music media patronizing her art, then she should have named them rather than shamelessly single out some of the biggest black women in music to make her point. It was needless to name those women in her first paragraph.

Sure, she acknowledged that they're all successful, as you said, but the way she described their success and belittled their own art as songs about "fucking" and "cheating" is both bad framing and bad optics.

Now, I am not one to hold women accountable for what their partners have done, but Lana is also dating a white cop and has been making excuses for him. She has a history of using indigenous imagery in her videos (see: Ride), using chola images in her music (see: most of NFR and her career), using trap music (see: High By the Beach/Freak), and tangentially related, even she makes music about how her "pussy tastes like Pepsi Cola." The last bit is important because, in her post, she says she's just trying to be a "glamorous woman," she's more than just whatever those other black women are writing about when they sing about fucking per her own words.

Take these things and combine them into a whole and it paints a very unflattering image of her. I say this as a former fan. I am willing to forgive her if she backpedals on what she's said and shows a concentrated effort to change, but you need to also understand that there is justifiable anger and hurt coming from women of color here.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This is ridiculous, and you should be embarrassed. As if a post count has anything to do with the validity of anybody's statements. It also doesn't matter my race. If I am visibly black or not. I am mixed race and get confused for all kinds of things. In either case it does not matter because I experience otherness just the same. I'm not here to dick measure about post count and call my opinion superior to yours because I've got more or less. Get a hold of yourself. I can see you guys are very inflamed about what she said. I'm not excusing it either, I can see how it can be interpreted really badly. However, do I think that was her intention? I'm not sure i'd go that far without having a conversation or a discussion with her about it. But here you all go ready to ASSUME a hell of a lot. Just like you are ASSUMING a lot about me and where I come from. I'm either with you or I'm not, no grey area, no room for other experiences. Absolutely insane.

When you go into a thread and say people are looking to bring race into a discussion just for the kick of it you can't really get defensive when people look at you suspect or call you out.

It was you who soured the discussion when you basically said people are playing the race card.

Just so we are totally clear on why you're getting a hard time from people.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
s7kOMP4.png

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
When you go into a thread and say people are looking to bring race into a discussion just for the kick of it you can't really get defensive when people look at you suspect or call you out.

It was you who soured the discussion when you basically said people are playing the race card.

Just so we are totally clear on why you're getting a hard time from people.
Right. That part I can see. The invalidating is different though. Look, I wasn't trying to come in here and get a rise out of people or make people upset. All I was trying to do was raise the point that we don't really know what she was thinking until we get a follow up. I can see how it could be interpreted a couple of ways. However, I can see that this is a sensitive topic and I don't want to inflame people further. It was my mistake to suggest that people were bringing race into the discussion and I apologize for that.

Oct 31, 2017

You came into this post completely dismissive of the topic, claiming it was looking for a reason to be offended and later tried to use "being a poc" to excuse it

while conspicuously ignoring all of the well stated posts that break down the multiple ways her statement doesn't even make sense and is obviously racially coded

Since it clearly needs to be explained to you: just because you are a person of color does not mean you can't be racist against black people.

You are the one who brought up your color as if it made your dismissive and ignorant opinion any better

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You came into this post completely dismissive of the topic, claiming it was looking for a reason to be offended and later tried to use "being a poc" to excuse it

while conspicuously ignoring all of the well stated posts that break down the multiple ways her statement doesn't even make sense and is obviously racially coded

Since it clearly needs to be explained to you: just because you are a person of color does not mean you can't be racist against black people.

You are the one who brought up your color as if it made your dismissive and ignorant opinion any better
You're absolutely right, and I believe I spoke ill and I can see how my initial post can be construed as being in bad faith. That is absolutely my bad.

Oct 31, 2017
You're absolutely right, and I believe I spoke ill and I can see how my initial post can be construed as being in bad faith. That is absolutely my bad.

Well, I wasn't expect you to apologize so I'll take it. lol Thanks

FYI: The only reason I brought up your post count is because posters who say things like "your looking for a reason to be offended" in a post about racism and have weirdly low ass post counts are usually sleeper trolls so lol

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I gotta be honest as someone who has only the most casual of interest in her work, learning that she wrote a song romanticizing Harvey Weinstein is going to sit with me a long time.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I don't think she was comparing herself to the artists she mentioned"

Artists she mentioned

She mentioned

It's her fault. She mentioned the artists. She and her fans don't get to turn around and say it's not about the artists she mentioned.

Without the mentions, this would've been, at worst, laughed off as a needless display of self-victimization. She went ahead and decided to dump kerosene on it with the "shout-outs". Jfc Lana

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Right. That part I can see. The invalidating is different though. Look, I wasn't trying to come in here and get a rise out of people or make people upset. All I was trying to do was raise the point that we don't really know what she was thinking until we get a follow up. I can see how it could be interpreted a couple of ways. However, I can see that this is a sensitive topic and I don't want to inflame people further. It was my mistake to suggest that people were bringing race into the discussion and I apologize for that.

I mean, I don't have any hard feelings, it's cool. I just wanted to highlight why people were getting upset. The fact you're just straight up apologizing is legit my guy :)

Holograms

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well, I wasn't expect you to apologize so I'll take it. lol Thanks

FYI: The only reason I brought up your post count is because posters who say things like "your looking for a reason to be offended" in a post about racism and have weirdly low ass post counts are usually sleeper trolls so lol
That's alright, I get it. It's a very sensitive and complex topic, there is no easy answer. And times are rough right now, so it was shitty of me to try to downplay that aspect off the bat.

Oct 31, 2017
That's alright, I get it. It's a very sensitive and complex topic, there is no easy answer. And times are rough right now, so it was shitty of me to try to downplay that aspect off the bat.

I actually don't think it's that complex a topic: this white girl didn't need to throw a group of black women(and Ariana blackfish) under the bus to act like a victim.

that's white feminism 101

It's actually a very easy answer lol

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I don't understand why she is framing this as twisting her words or being attacked. She posted a pre typed message to instagram. She had all the time in the world to bake in whatever context she wanted or refine her point. If people are misinterpreting it it isn't because they are out to get her, it's because she did a poor job expressing her points.

And I mean, the more she types the more it feels like she just wants all the fame admiration and respect but any criticism is invalid and mean spirited. Like people are free to make good natured criticism of you or your work. You aren't God.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
There is no excuse. A letter is an opportunity to make sure shit doesn't get twisted. That's your choice to be as clear and concise as possible.

You curate every single one of your words and sentences to get a message across. You can't get mad at people for calling you out on that message. You still did what you did. Be annoyed with your critics but when you start with "question for the culture" and name drop a bunch of WOC who apparently-- according to you, freely express themselves with no backlash (10000000% untrue btw) you cannot expect anyone to take you seriously the way you're flipping your shit...

That's the problem with society-- white people have to be held accountable for saying dumb shit now! Boohoo.

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"There are certain women that culture doesn't want to have a voice".
She's riding that freedom of speech white oppression train.

Page 1 keeps looking worse by the minute.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
oh I only just now put together that the weinstein song is the cola one, the ones people are posting as "really this is the art that's supposed to be better than what women are doing in hip hop right now?"

i need to lie down

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
She really thought she could go at all these WoC(Ariana the whitest girl being included is lollllllllllll) all of which have some of the biggest fans is so dumb.

Even a bunch of Lana stans don't want to defend her 😂😂😂

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
White people stay getting the benefit of the doubt when it comes to racism.

Man, what must it be like to get the benefit of the doubt even when your words and actions betray that benefit.

I legit can't imagine.
In her instagram story she said that she hates that people make issues about race when there isn't

She was like don't call me racist

I don't think she's racist, but she's damn sure ignorant.

She was born rich and everybody giving her what she wants

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Just cleansed my Spotify library of Lana.

I'm going to be streaming Tinashe and FKA Twigs now. Both released some of my favorite albums last year. It's time to uplift black women.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to apologize to everyone I was talking to in this thread

while my main point of contention was that she wasn't throwing shade on the artists she name dropped (which given the scope of the thread is a pretty minuscule thing to focus on, I admit) I was also taking it as a given that she had, fuck man I don't know, a little bit of common sense or something. I figured that someone who has gotten as far in the music industry as her would just know better and I felt pretty comfortable in making that assumption. clearly I was wrong. holy shit how wrong I was. god damn. "I would also like to have some of the same freedom of expression without judgement" is making my head hurt.

sorry yall

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In her instagram story she said that she hates that people make issues about race when there isn't

She was like don't call me racist

lolol

White people always be like, "It's not about race."

PoCs be like, "Literally every aspect of my life is about race."

Maybe she should think about how privileged she is to be able to utter that sentence.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
well going by Lana's response, fuck her lol. feel bad even trying to make sense of her mess. she dug herself a hole that will be very hard to get out of now.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
She really thought she could go at all these WoC(Ariana the whitest girl being included is lollllllllllll) all of which have some of the biggest fans is so dumb.

Even a bunch of Lana stans don't want to defend her 😂😂😂

LOL
as shitty as the situation is stan twitter has been pretty fun

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lolol

White people always be like, "It's not about race."

PoCs be like, "Literally every aspect of my life is about race."

Maybe she should think about how privileged she is to be able to utter that sentence.
In her comments it's a bunch of rich women defending her and believe it or not one of them said that nobody understands the hardships that Lana had to go through, she mentioned her having to go to boarding school.

yup I was like I'm done with that, no time for that

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
If Lana's issue is with her critics misconstruing her lyrics as glorifying abuse, that's a valid thing to rant about. Cool.

Her namedropping a group of artists who are mostly minorities, who have nothing to do with her or her hang-ups, and who are not only known and celebrated for songs singing about banal promiscuity is some real, Karen-ass bullshit here. And for her to stand around acting like she's any kind of victim when she's outgrossed several of these artists combined regardless of any critical hang-ups is appalling.

I can't even say I'm fucking surprised by how the topic initially went either.

Agreed