• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
"I'm not not a feminist—but there has to be a place in feminism for women who look and act like me—the kind of woman who says no but men hear yes—the kind of women who are slated mercilessly for being their authentic, delicate selves, the kind of women who get their own stories and voices taken away from them by stronger women or by men who hate women."

lmao
Holy moly. Lool!

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
she could have maybe made the point without the namedrops, but there's nothing terrible about her doing so.

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Where in that quote is she attacking those artists? She's attacking her critics.
Whats.. this thread about man. You said she's attacking poc but there's nothing there?
I feel "attacks a whole bunch of POC's" is really clickbaity title in this context.
Yeah this doesn't seem even remotely like the same situation at all.
Nah, she literally just listed all the top female artists, for her point. If anything, its nice to realize all the top women in the game are women of color.

Alison Roman's situation was blatant because she randomly cherry-picked two Asian-female competitors is a field filled with white competition, and then made a racist joke about one of them.

Not comparable at all.
I'm not seeing an attack on those other singers.

It's the same as Roman. You can critique the misogyny without naming all POC's to do it.

www.nbcnews.com

Lana Del Rey slammed over her assessment of Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande

"Lana's post would have been fine if she hadn't compared herself to a group of mostly black women," writer and activist Shon Faye tweeted.

She aimed her question to 'the culture' and then proceeded to name black women specifically (and Ariana/Camilla) who make R&B, Hip Hop and Urban music," one Twitter user wrote. "Why is that? Why not Taylor? Billie? Adele? Gaga? Katy? Dua?... Why specifically the 'urban" girls?"

Cultural critic and writer Jamilah Lemieux tweeted: "I don't know who was giving Lana Del Rey a hard time but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Black women. Girl, sing your little cocaine carols and leave us alone."

Writer and activist Shon Faye tweeted: "think Lana's post would have been fine if she hadn't compared herself to a group of mostly black women with the clear tone that she thinks she's been treated worse by the media when that's observably untrue."

julian

Oct 27, 2017
She should have mentioned those critics by name then instead of bringing up a bunch of black women who's success still does not shield them from far worse treatment.
This is what I see wrong with this.
Then the point wouldn't make sense? Are you seriously suggesting that a white person isn't allowed to invoke the name of a POC to make a point, even when not being critical of them? What is this nonsense.

Oct 25, 2017
Super ultra reaching. Looking for a reason to be offended. Typical.
Really?

Then the point wouldn't make sense? Are you seriously suggesting that a white person isn't allowed to invoke the name of a POC to make a point, even when not being critical of them? What is this nonsense.
When your point ignores the actual dbl standards those black artists face? Yes. Make your point. There was absolutely no reason to mention them other than to play yourself up. The first paragraph in that rant is totally unnecessary.

Last edited:

TheMilkman

Banned
Aug 30, 2019
"I'm not not a feminist—but there has to be a place in feminism for women who look and act like me—the kind of woman who says no but men hear yes—the kind of women who are slated mercilessly for being their authentic, delicate selves, the kind of women who get their own stories and voices taken away from them by stronger women or by men who hate women."

lmao
Why is this funny?

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing the name "Lana Del Karen" being floated around on Twitter this morning a lot.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Social media tears to promote some vanity books and an album. Another Thursday.

sweetie

Alt account
Banned
May 19, 2020
While I wouldn't say she attacked them, it does seem odd that she specifically called out mostly women of colour.

That coupled with the fact that her last album was nominated for AOTY, was critically acclaimed, and considered one of the best of year, makes her going "can I stop being attacked 😖" feel kinda....odd.

Also Kehlani is getting #1 hits? Where?

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I like the minor derail over the thread title because the OP didn't say "a whole bunch of POCs, and also Ariana Grande"

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wasn't her point, that women of color have been signing about the same topics, and are not as criticized as her for singing about it.

i guess it could be view as "another white people complaining about not being able to do what a POC can do"

but she has a point, no?, in those kind of topics, i dont think the color of your skin matters that much?

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
While I wouldn't say she attacked them, it does seem odd that she specifically called out mostly women of colour.

That coupled with the fact that her last album was nominated for AOTY, was critically acclaimed, and considered one of the best of year, makes her going "can I stop being attacked 😖" feel kinda....odd.

Also Kehlani is getting #1 hits? Where?
This is it.

Everything she's complaining about majority of women have gone through, so she's not an exception. And her acting as if she's some martyr/pioneer for the subject matter in her songs, as if people haven't been singing about the same things for decades. :/

And right. Kehlani doesn't even have a Top 10, so that was really random and telling.

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
This is it.

Everything she's complaining about majority of women have gone through, so she's not an exception. And her acting as if she's some martyr/pioneer for the subject matter in her songs, as if people haven't been singing about the same things for decades. :/

And right. Kehlani doesn't even have a Top 10, so that was really random and telling.

Thank you.

She's not the first up misogynistic mountain, EVEN FOR A WHITE WOMAN. There's a shitload of white female country singers who've gotten shit over the years for similar topics.

And it's telling she thinks they had it easier. Like people weren't trying to get the FCC on Beyonce for her superbowl performance for being to riske.

It's peak white feminism

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
wasn't her point, that women of color have been signing about the same topics, and are not as criticized as her for singing about it.

i guess it could be view as "another white people complaining about not being able to do what a POC can do"

but she has a point, no?, in those kind of topics, i dont think the color of your skin matters that much?
But they are as criticized. Probably way more than her. Are people in this thread serious at this point? Minaj isn't criticized about her music and image? Lol my god.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But they are as criticized. Probably way more than her. Are people in this thread serious at this point? Minaj isn't criticized about her music and image? Lol my god.

well im just trying to understand what she meant, if the rest of the people has been attacked also, her point is moot.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Seems like she very purposefully picked out a bunch of POC singers (and Ariana though she probbaly lumps her in that as well) and accused their songs of being about trashy things while hers aren't.

Which by the way, most of their songs aren't like that.

Its not explicitly racist but it is quite heavily infering that her songs are better than all the black artists songs.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a place to discuss the cultural confluence is she is brings up in the entire post, but that certainly shouldn't be done here and only within the most intimately situation with all hearts open, and even then i'd be nothing but eyerolls. What is really sad is that a successful public figure feels she can air her pout online like she herself hasn't been lifted by the same waves, hell, the very people she points to.

Faustek

Oct 26, 2017
So the fact that she framed the named artists, whom all but two are black/brown, in relation to her white woman victim hood is just something y'all can't see?
The fact that she's ignoring decades of what black & brown artists have been singing about?
The fact that she so desperately wanna hide behind her white woman status to spout this bs?

And can we all stop with the shit where she gets to label herself as the lil indie artist? She got a bitch load of money to force her way in.

Oh And Fuck that title edit

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I mean she can just appropriate and call it a day if it really bothers her. You're in pop. Black and brown people make good music, sorry.

Cocamantis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility
Learn how to fucking read, OP.

Also there's nothing wrong or inaccurate in her statement.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Thank you.

She's not the first up misogynistic mountain, EVEN FOR A WHITE WOMAN. There's a shitload of white female country singers who've gotten shit over the years for similar topics.

And it's telling she thinks they had it easier. Like people weren't trying to get the FCC on Beyonce for her superbowl performance for being to riske.

It's peak white feminism
Thank you!
And the fact that people aren't seeing that is very... predictable, but whatever.

Like even if she took the black women out of the equation, her point still isn't that valid. If tons of white women also are criticized (arguably less than you are), you have to be delusional to include black women in your crusade for saying they're 'praised' for it now.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
Is she implying that she is being persecuted for being a white woman singing about sex or something. I don't listen to her music but I see lots of threads about her here so I figure she may some type of pop artist. Maybe when she sings about those things it doesn't come off as authentic so she gets criticized. But I know all the women that she name dropped get criticized routinely for their content and the sexuality. It just so happens that their records still do well not their fault.

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Classism? Lana Del Rey's family is rich.

In the rockist kind of sense.

See, we don't make stupid pop songs with the weeknd about getting fucked. We use guitars or we talk about materialism in music, so as a result we can look down.

Lana is privileged as fuck, but the 'bad feminst' critique the article pointed out by her peers seems more about they view her topics as frivelous and not as important then there's where there's been a long going argument that for marginalized folks the ability to be as negative as their non marginalized peers but equally accepted = some steps forward (IE, anti-hero male is cool, anti-hero female is a bitch)

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's the same as Roman. You can critique the misogyny without naming all POC's to do it.

www.nbcnews.com

Lana Del Rey slammed over her assessment of Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, Ariana Grande

"Lana's post would have been fine if she hadn't compared herself to a group of mostly black women," writer and activist Shon Faye tweeted.
Stand your ground against the dogpiling OP, I can totally see how some would take her quotes that way.

I can't tell you how much racist and lude shit I've heard about some of the artists she felt the need to name drop.

I see where she is coming from but it's really odd to me she felt the need to name drop those artists...

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Thank you.

It's peak white feminism

I'm pretty sure nowhere in that post does she imply the people she named had it easier. it comes off more as she's proud of their accomplishments and it makes her feel validated after years of unfair criticism (which was a thing).

OP
OP
krazen

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

Of course, but when its all POC's and the one white person most people think is a POC herself because of her latin sounding name and heavy tan,, it looks suspects.

There's dozens of white pop female singers she could have named, and she didn't name one.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I'm pretty sure nowhere in that post does she imply the people she named had it easier. it comes off more as she's proud of their accomplishments and it makes her feel validated after years of unfair criticism (which was a thing).
Nah, that's still an issue, to me at least, because she's very clear in her stance that she 'paved the way' for that, and that's just not the case. I'm not saying Lana hasn't been subject to unfair criticism, but every single person she listed, has, and still are to this day.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
It is even coherent lol.

i think it's pretty easy to read it as "i'm not a feminist but vocal feminists better defend me!". i don't think it's a malicious statement, of course, just kind of awkwardly phrased.

fwiw, i don't think she is criticizing the mentioned artists at all-- in fact she has collabed with some of them.

NFR was my #1 record last year :P no agenda here

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017
quote specific instances of her shitting on their music
"Now that Doja Cat, Ariana, Camila, Cardi B, Kehlani and Nicki Minaj and Beyoncé have had number ones with songs about being sexy, wearing no clothes, fucking, cheating etc – can I please go back to singing about being embodied, feeling beautiful by being in love even if the relationship is not perfect, or dancing for money – or whatever I want – without being crucified or saying that I'm glamorising abuse??????"

You trying to sit here and tell me she's not shitting on them with that quote? You may agree with her, but come the fuck on lmao

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Stand your ground against the dogpiling OP, I can totally see how some would take her quotes that way.

I can't tell you how much racist and lude shit I've heard about some of the artists she felt the need to name drop.

I see where she is coming from but it's really odd to me she felt the need to name drop those artists...
The things is all of the things she mentions have been critiqued in the music of the women she lists and hundreds in the past. It's just some long rant to promote some books no one will care about and an album that'll probably do well later this year.
But, she's been suspect from the start when she made a song about being into Harvey Weinstein and then not saying shit when all of his open secrets just became open.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
how does it come off that way when she in no way mentions their accomplishments and instead turns herself into the victim? All of those artists got shit too and more.