• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Im playing it right now on my quest and its incredible!
Loading it with Sidequest after you get all the files together was literally drag and drop.

You can get the latest version here: github
Credit goes to DrBeef for porting it over to the quest.

Official Page

Improvements in this version
  • All new weapon models, please see https://www.lambda1vr.com/modifications.html for credits, these fix a whole host of issues
  • View "warping" that some people noticed should no longer be present, I certainly can't see it anymore, to improve this I:
  • Created a symmetrically sized render target, it takes a bit of the guess work out of one of the projection matrices (for the timewarp layer) which may have been the cause of the "warping"
  • Added a very rudimentary neck model.. basically just translate the eyes forwards a little so when you spin your head they aren't rotating around a central axis between the eyes, but in more of a neck position. The positional tracking should have been handling this, but maybe it wasn't quite enough, I can remove again if required, it shouldn't even be needed, but does seem to improve things (so I have been told)
  • HMD based directional movement mode now implemented
  • HUD has stereo depth to make it much easier to read
  • Reduce projectile spread when stabilising the weapon (specifically the MP5) the spread of projectiles is reduced by 40%
  • New flashlight model for off-hand and a cvar to turn it off if people don't want a flashlight model
  • Grenade throwing mechanics are much improved, grenade will also explode ~5 seconds after pin is pulled regardless of whether it has been thrown
  • Satchel (now a C4 model) also improved, but heavier to throw than a grenade
  • Squeak Grenade throwing mechanics also greatly improved
  • In-game player height should match real world player height
  • Additional cvar to allow for height adjustment if desired
  • Physical crouching/ducking (in addition to the regular button controlled) - A new HUD Item added so it is clear when ducking ("stealth") is engaged, you can now physically duck behind obstacles
  • Left-handed controls now correctly implemented, please note the cvar has changed, you should now select the left-handed control using the new cvar: vr_control_scheme "10"
  • If left handed players wish to mirror the weapons to avoid seeing the gaps in some of the weapon models then set the following cvar in config.cfg: vr_mirror_weapons "1"
  • Re-instated the Gauss Gun secondary fire

This in combination with the HD-Texture Pack "HL: Gold" provided by VR_Bummser might be one of the best Quest VR games to date:

Only found an old version of gameplay to give you an idea. Lots of changes in 1.1 now.

Old version:

Im planning on playing the whole game in VR again.
Hope we get CS 1.6 aswell!

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
I dont know but I could imagine there is a PC Port of the Xash3D-FWGS engine aswell.
i imagine it will be a lot more work though. On the Quest its really plug and play.
I'll look around. Would love to give this a go but I've only got an S at home. For now though, it seems I'll be sticking with Onward!

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks OP, I never knew this existed! It is quite impressive so far but I think I'll hold of until they implement smooth turning, unless someone knows how to mod this in with the current version?

OP
OP

Deleted member 9290

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks OP, I never knew this existed! It is quite impressive so far but I think I'll hold of until they implement smooth turning, unless someone knows how to mod this in with the current version?
Oh this isn't in the game? I thought I just didn't find the configuration for it and went on. It didn't bother me while playing yesterday.

I hope it will comes in a later version though.

ninjaboyjohn

Oct 30, 2017
California
WIth the Quest, I find just turning my body to be the most comfortable and natural method, so with games like Half Life, I don't use snap turning at all.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't tried this with the newest update yet but if you open your config file in the xash/valve folder there's a line for vr_snapturn_angle (or if not add it). I think it's 10 by default, set it to something lower for smooth turning. 3 was good for me.

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone played this who also played the quake VR mod? I heard that one was really rough on the VR legs for most people, I wonder if this one is also along those lines.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Has anyone played this who also played the quake VR mod? I heard that one was really rough on the VR legs for most people, I wonder if this one is also along those lines.
Quake is suuuuper fast. I got on okay with it by only turning with my head though.

I had issues with v1.0 of this with the warping and my controller positions and character height getting messed up. I'll give this a shot tomorrow. Hopefully they've squashed those bugs now.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'll give that a go, I only tried it whilst sitting down. As someone who doesn't have a problem with FPS games in VR and can spend hours in an HMD, I would prefer to play it sitting though.

For situations like this, I play in a swivel chair, like the one in my office. That way, I can turn around 360 degrees, but I'm still sitting.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
The latest update fixed a lot. Fixed the warping issues (from incorrect FOV setting). Added haptics. Added a comfort mode. The comfort mode is a primitive black square that creates a tunnel vision effect (and is adjustable in the config). It's not the fanciest solution, but if you're prone to motion sickness, it should help a lot.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The latest update fixed a lot. Fixed the warping issues (from incorrect FOV setting). Added haptics. Added a comfort mode. The comfort mode is a primitive black square that creates a tunnel vision effect (and is adjustable in the config). It's not the fanciest solution, but if you're prone to motion sickness, it should help a lot.
Another update? Cool. Feels like I just updated though. They are coming fast so it's hard to keep up. I'll update for the comfort mode though... I played for over an hour last time and felt a bit sick afterwards.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Another update? Cool. Feels like I just updated though. They are coming fast so it's hard to keep up. I'll update for the comfort mode though... I played for over an hour last time and felt a bit sick afterwards.

I played some more yesterday and I'm honestly not sure the comfort mask is doing anything for me:( Even at a very ugly .6, I was starting to feel pretty lousy in maybe less than 15 minutes.