• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
The Los Angeles Lakers cruised to a dominant win in Game 6 of the NBA Finals on Sunday night to close out their series with the Miami Heat and win their 17th championship.

And even though they were asked not to because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Lakers fans celebrated accordingly in Los Angeles.

Lakers fans take to streets around Staples Center

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has repeatedly asked fans not to gather downtown or near the Staples Center — which was severely restricted — due to the pandemic.

www.latimes.com

LAPD declares unlawful assembly and begins arresting Lakers revelers outside Staples Center

Despite officials' pleas to stay away, Lakers faithful flocked to downtown Los Angeles to celebrate the championship. Police blocked entrances to L.A. Live and later declared an unlawful assembly.

ca.sports.yahoo.com

Lakers fans celebrate in downtown Los Angeles despite COVID-19 warnings after NBA Finals win

One Lakers fan actually hopped inside a giant inflatable bubble to celebrate safely in Los Angeles.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Semi kudos to the bubble guy, but yeah, people are stupid.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
We're never going to get a handle on this until everyone knows someone close to them who died from it.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Dumb fans continue to be dumb, regardless of who would've won.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish you could just chalk to up to Darwinism at its finest, but since this will result in other, respectful, innocent deaths, all you can really say is what a bunch of selfish assholes.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
It was always going to happen regardless of who won. People just can't control themselves especially when it comes to sports.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. Barely a mask in sight!
Disturbing.
A bunch of Trump supporting, Republican Laker fans or... 🤔

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its outside so its not the worst but yeah

The protests for instance didn't really increase covid

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what they must hear to not do shit like this. 200k+ dead doesn't do it.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
No matter which team won, it was going to happen.

I don't think that's fair. i.e. the Raptors, the ultimate example of outdoor viewing parties during the playoff runs via multiple Jurassic Parks across the country, had zero occur before they went back home to Toronto after the Semis. And our COVID rules would have led to charges laid and fines against anyone breaking the social distancing group gathering rules if they tried.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember who said it, but thought it was a good idea to point to contrast the celebration with the players' sacrifice to be in the bubble this whole time.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I mean in all honesty did anyone expect this not to happen? Be interesting to observe the LA covid case jump count over the next two weeks..celebrating more important than endangering lives confirmed.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Wow. Barely a mask in sight!
Disturbing.
A bunch of Trump supporting, Republican Laker fans or... 🤔
I don't think masks are as politically divided as they were a month or 2 ago. People just don't seem to care anymore and don't want to wear them. Sure it probably skews more conservative people don't wear them, but sadly most of my left leaning friends don't wear them unless they absolutely have to.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
I don't think masks are as politically divided as they were a month or 2 ago. People just don't seem to care anymore and don't want to wear them. Sure it probably skews more conservative people don't wear them, but sadly most of my left leaning friends don't wear them unless they absolutely have to.

people only wear them to get into places that require them. They're not doing it for "safety"

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Pretty much, no surprise this happened. Expect the cases to spike there now.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
people only wear them to get into places that require them. They're not doing it for "safety"
Yep. And now that people know most grocery stores and places won't say anything if you're not wearing one, they don't even bother.

Restaurant silliness has been a big factor in making masks seem pointless I think. You wear it inside and take it off at your table. Put it back on to go to the bathroom. But you don't have to put it on to talk to your server to order your food. Shits crazy.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Earlier in the weekend there were 10x the number of people marching through Beverly Hills (20,000) for the Armenian protest.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's fair. i.e. the Raptors, the ultimate example of outdoor viewing parties during the playoff runs via multiple Jurassic Parks across the country, had zero occur before they went back home to Toronto after the Semis. And our COVID rules would have led to charges laid and fines against anyone breaking the social distancing group gathering rules if they tried.
Nah people would have been going nuts on the streets of Toronto if the Raptors won.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What did people expect honestly? That's what you were going to get when the NBA decided to continue playing

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
Sports celebrations regularly have me scratching my head. We've had some doozies here in SoCal because of Laker victories, but I have a feeling big, dumb, super spreader celebrations are gonna happen with any sport that's continuing to play through all this. It's a reason to celebrate something for some and they're gonna do dumb shit as a result. If only covid only killed the stupid.

Oct 27, 2017
We're never going to get a handle on this until everyone knows someone close to them who died from it.
It was god's plan. We can't live in fear forever. I'm not going to let corona dominate my life.

America probably will never get a handle on it. Anti-vaxxers are going to be a problem for a while too once there is a vaccine ready for the public. Never underestimate the stupidity of people.