• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017

From the Steam page:

WHY PLAY ONLY ONE GENRE OF GAME when you could be playing two slightly different ones at the exact same time?

BEN is a die-hard, old-school LucasArts Adventure fan.
He has one foot stuck in the 90s, his feet never leave the floor, and he's happiest collecting any old junk he can lay his hands on, in the hopes of combining it all together to solve a satisfying puzzle.

His cohort and sidekick DAN
...has aspirations to be the next big hit indie platform character. He's got everything he needs: he's hip, he's sensitive, and his nose is a different colour to the rest of his face.

LAIR OF THE CLOCKWORK GOD sees you switching between both characters and using their unique abilities together in a race-against-time effort to stop all the Apocalypses happening simultaneously, by teaching an old computer about feelings.

Solve classic point-and-click style puzzles as Ben to create unique upgrade items for Dan, so he can jump higher, run faster and blast away at everything with a shiny new gun. Then, run and jump as Dan to unlock new areas and exciting new puzzles for Ben!

If you haven't played the old Dan and Ben games (you should), or you have but can't remember what happened, there's NO NEED TO WORRY! Lair of the Clockwork God is a STANDALONE Dan and Ben Adventure, which means you need to know absolutely nothing about Ben There, Dan That! or Time Gentlemen, Please! whatsoever. None of the original plot is referenced, the characters are re-introduced expertly, etc etc. It's all good.

Couple of reviews:

www.pcgamer.com

Lair of the Clockwork God review

This genre-hopping adventure could be 2020’s funniest game.

www.rockpapershotgun.com

Lair Of The Clockwork God review

Lair Of The Clockwork God celebrates the tension between old and new, and finds profound comedy in the juxtaposition. I…

I've been keeping an eye on this one for a long time so I am glad it is finally coming on Switch! Fingers crossed the port is good.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
This game is a riot, and I can't recommend it enough to people.

It's Size Five's best effort yet, and it's hilarious and clever both in design and writing. If you're afraid of nonsensical point-and-click puzzles, then don't be: the game telegraphs and hints plenty enough to get you through without a walkthrough. If you're afraid of platforming, then don't be: the game has a slider that aids your platforming so that you won't have too much trouble.

Currently, I only have two games I would consider to be in my GotY nominations, and this is one of them (the other being Kentucky Route Zero).

May 17, 2019
This game is a riot, and I can't recommend it enough to people.

It's Size Five's best effort yet, and it's hilarious and clever both in design and writing. If you're afraid of nonsensical point-and-click puzzles, then don't be: the game telegraphs and hints plenty enough to get you through without a walkthrough. If you're afraid of platforming, then don't be: the game has a slider that aids your platforming so that you won't have too much trouble.

Currently, I only have two games I would consider to be in my GotY nominations, and this is one of them (the other being Kentucky Route Zero).

Same

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Heard such great things and excited to finally play it. Just need to make sure I didn't buy it on Steam and forget before I click preorder.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Kentucky Route Zero, Lair Of The Clockwork God, Creaks, Röki, Wildfire, Receiver 2, Tales From Off-Peak City, If Found, Cloudpunk. 2020 has been baller for indies!

Inmost just came out too!

ClayModel

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting concept, plus I loved the Swindle, amazing stealth 2D heist game so I might be in for this.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a semi-sequel to Time Gentlemen Please and Ben There, Dan That, for those that want more of the same humor for very cheap.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Size Five Games are responsible for a handful of the few genuinely funny videogames. This is another one.

PS Play then Dan and Ben games! They're PC exclusive but they run on *anything*.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, only just found out about this now. I loved the original and played it to death during my daily commute (when I still had a job). Nabbing this (and Devil's Kiss, I presume) ASAP

PS I made the OT for this originally :D

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Feels weird to see people say they are of the swindle fame, when I loved Ben there Dan that, but I suppose point and click adventure games are more niche. Definitely try that too!