• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The 500k "no questions asked" is very unlikely to reach the people who actually stole the dogs. I suspect the aim is to either draw them out, where they'll be apprehended, or, draw people who have knowledge of the dogs whereabouts/kidnappers, who will then dob them in for the reward.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
It could be done.

Make a public, untraceable ask for $500,000 to a Zcash/Monero address. Leave the dogs in a remote to be disclosed location free of nearby traffic cameras. Be extra cautious of DNA evidence left behind.

Thankfully, criminals aren't typically this sophisticated. But technology has come full circle, and one could demand and receive payment without chance of discovery.
I suppose it is possible. They would likely need to show evidence the dogs are still alive which complicates matters. But yeah a smart criminal wouldn't have brought a gun. I have serious doubts they knew whom these dogs belonged to.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Isn't this just giving the murderer/kidnappers (did the dog walker die???) a ransom?

I suppose it is possible. They would likely need to show evidence the dogs are still alive which complicates matters. But yeah a smart criminal wouldn't have brought a gun. I have serious doubts they knew whom these dogs belonged to.

Why would they shoot someone over a dog napping though..

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
I get wanting to get your pets back no matter the cost but I can imagine some other nutjob seeing 'steal dog, get $500k' being a tempting offer. Very fucked up situation.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019

Agreed on all counts. A sophisticated operation would not introduce a gun into the situation at all.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Isn't this just giving the murderer/kidnappers (did the dog walker die???) a ransom?

Why would they shoot someone over a dog napping though..
Who knows maybe the dog walker fought back. Once it became a shooting it became way more complicated and makes it more unlikely they'll see a dime
A smart criminal smart enough to plan out how to get paid without getting caught would have given up long before a gun was ever needed.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017

How are you gonna prove that the person bringing the dogs back is the shooter and not some "rando who happened to see two ownerless dogs running around".

So, if you're mega rich, might as well do the "finders fee 500 grand (which is still peanuts for Gaga), no questions asked" thing.

And if you can prove it, if there is evidence to charge the person, who returned the dogs, of assault and ... dognapping ... they can still be charged after the dogs have been returned.

Priority 1: Get doggos back home quickly and safely
Priority 2: 'Justice'

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How are you gonna prove that the person bringing the dogs back is the shooter and not some "rando who happened to see two ownerless dogs running around".

So, if you're mega rich, might as well do the "finders fee 500 grand (which is still peanuts for Gaga), no questions asked" thing.

And if you can prove it, if there is evidence to charge the person, who returned the dogs, of assault and ... dognapping ... they can still be charged after the dogs have been returned.

Priority 1: Get doggos back home quickly and safely
Priority 2: 'Justice'

I hope the dog walker gets way more than 500k from her. :/

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Nov 27, 2017
California
500K isn't what you should've offered because now rich people's dogs will be targeted and tbh don't walk a dog at night because you aren't safe :(
I hope the dog walker fully recovers

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
I'm glad we got a lot of experience dognapper victims in this thread who are able to give lady gaga advice on how to handle this. I'm praying you all are able to reach her

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
There is an extraordinarily high likelihood that the 500k "no questions asked" offer is a sting set up in conjunction with law enforcement to catch an attempted murderer.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Some of the takes here are bizarre. Gaga is funding violent crimes, the dog Walker should sue Gaga? Idk what the pets mean to her so I'm not gonna fault her for wanting them back. I also don't think she's ignoring the dog Walker she employed. If he comes out and says Gaga didn't cover his medical bills then I'd get at her for that.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Is it a common thing for people to kidnap dogs to get a ransom from rich people? My parents rescue dog has its two front paws missing and I don't have the heart to tell them why that is. They think it was just a birth defect.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The smartest thing the criminals can do is just tie the dogs up in a park somewhere and then never speak of things again. If they try to collect the ransom they'll get caught, and if they do anything to hurt the dogs they'll be chased forever (if they won't already be with the whole pretty significant attempted murder thing). The dog walker hopefully will recover enough to give the police clues.

I imagine there's more desperate people out of work and out of money these days during COVID-19.

I believe violent crime statistics were still down across the board last time I checked but it admittedly could have gone up again since COVID.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
All French Bulldogs and their walkers are now hot targets. She just incentivized dog robbery.

That said, it will be collateral idiots that will dime on the idiots who took the pups. No honor among thieves.

Plus Bradley Cooper is in full sniper gear on top of the Hotel Cecil atm. Hope the dogs get recovered.

Riley

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Poor walker and Gaga. People have been trying to steal dogs, especially small breeds for some time now. It's super scummy.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems crazy to me that whoever did this brought a gun to the situation at all. The money to be made here is off of the dogs, not violently robbing the walker of her possessions. The armed/violent aspect of this instantly increases the number of eyes on this case by a factor of 20.

Hope they catch the bastard(s).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
All French Bulldogs and their walkers are now hot targets. She just incentivized dog robbery.

In the story I posted a few posts up, it said on the news clip (not the article) that the owner is offering $5,000 for the dog back. I don't think she's gotten it back yet.

abc7news.com

French Bulldogs found after bizarre dog-napping from San Francisco home, police say suspect arrested

UPDATE: Indigo and Lila, the two French bulldog puppies have both been found after they were stolen from a San Francisco home. Latest here:

This was another story from a few months ago, and thankfully they were found.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
3 dogs were targeted - 2 are missing, 1 was later retreived and returned by LAPD. People saying LG didn't inform or work with police as an excuse to drag her... they're already involved. As for pre-emptively blaming her for a hypothetical future rise in dognappings:

tenor.gif

zero_suit

Oct 27, 2017
3 dogs were targeted - 2 are missing, 1 was later retreived and returned by LAPD. People saying LG didn't inform or work with police as an excuse to drag her... they're already involved. As for pre-emptively blaming her for a hypothetical future rise in dognappings:

tenor.gif
Yeah, it's absurd.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Is this country that down bad that people have resorted to stealing dogs for money? In a pandemic with little government help, I think someone saw two expensive dogs and realized they could earn a few thousand off these dogs.

It's really not something new, as I've heard of smaller purebreds (especially puppies) be targeted for a while now,. Just seems like lately Frenchies are the big thing to grab.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
That's some dystopian future shit, like, the kind of detail you'd see in a movie so the viewers realize how fucked up the setting is.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shrugging at some beliefs that LG's offer here will incentivise dognapping. This was apparently a hole that was always there and thus this was always going to happen with rich people's dogs. It's not on her to solve this problem, it's on the law/government imo.

Also this is totally a sting like what happens in every kidnapping case ever. Until you see the bills in the kidnapper's hands and they're walking free she hasn't paid.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
People saying she shouldn't offer the money, what? Dogs are family to many people.

Go after them full force when the dogs are safe.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
A lot of people consider their pets family members. Gaga's reaction is what I'd expect. For the robbers hope they de-escalate and return the pets. Most of the rest will be left to the law. No one died. People will still be mad, but not as much if something bad happens to the pets. It's just what layer of hell on earth they're going to end up for a time based on their decisions going forward.