• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Cyberpunk-2077-Red-Carpet.png
There were some rumors of Lady Gaga playing Lizzy Wizzy that popped up last year but someone at CD Projekt Red just shot it down in a recent interview. Dream is dead, folks. But Tom Hardy as Morgan Blackhand still lives on!
Despite rumours to the contrary circulating earlier this year, it seems that pop star Lady Gaga will not feature as an NPC in Cyberpunk 2077. In an interview with wccftech, UI co-ordinator Alvin Liu dismissed reports of the star's involvement.
When asked about the rumours, Liu said that the Grammy and Oscar-winning artist is "pretty cyberpunk, so she could fit in." Sadly, however, he went on to say "but um, yeah, no Lady Gaga."
Speculation around the star's involvement sprung up last year, when the Cyberpunk 2077 Twitter account enthusiastically responded to a cryptic Lady Gaga tweet from 2012. Back in March, the singer and actress was spotted at developer CD Projekt Red's Warsaw headquarters, and sources speaking to French website Actugaming (translated via Google) said that the singer would "participate in Cyberpunk 2077," and that her involvement would be confirmed during E3. Sadly, of course, that proved not to be the case.
Instead, of course, we've had to 'settle' for Keanu Reeves, who will have a significant role in the game as the digital ghost of deceased rockstar Johnny Silverhand.
Gaga might have been a good fit, and it would have been fun to see her star alongside Reeves, but I suppose it simply wasn't meant to be. CDPR is clearly keen to develop its mainstream potential however, as earlier this week, quest director Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz said that he'd like to see Meryl Streep take on a role in the upcoming RPG. I'd say that at this stage in development, getting her on board seems unlikely, but you never know what CDPR might manage to pull off.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
You can't afford Keanu AND Gaga.
And all that problematic stuff in the studio, I can see her not liking having her image attached to that.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I suppose there's no shortage of washed up singers past their glory days if that's what CD Projekt Red is looking for.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i'm sorry for people who wanted her to be in but i'm quiet happy with this
now they can cast
grimes
as the voice for lizzy wizzy

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Thank god. I hate real life actors in games. Kills my immersion. Hope I can patch out Keanu.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Gaga has never been within CDPR's budget, and it was silly to assume she ever would be.

Especially because if they had that info to drop, why wouldn't it have been a part of the E3 presentation? Maybe not alongside Keanu, but it's absolutely something you showcase when the most eyes are on the game.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As cool as it was when Keanu showed up at the end of the E3 trailer, and as strange as it may sound to be the least bit concerned about this, I'd really prefer they don't populate the game with a bunch of A-list celebs. I'd rather see more excellent actors I don't recognize.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to say that only fools would think that Gaga was in the realm of possibility after CDPR doling out the big bucks for Keanu, but I see the thread has been shat on from the start and probably beyond salvation.

Congratulations.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
don't really care. it'd be cool if she was but eh whatever.

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): dismissing concerns surrounding representation
ITT only the hottest takes

CDPR stole the 2016 elections

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Aaaw, not that big of a fan of her, but would have liked to see her involved. Though yeah, Meryl Streep would be excellent =P

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
"moderately"

Sure jan
All I'm saying is that I don't think ANY games studio currently has the cash/clout to sign Gaga for an appearance deal. Especially if it's just cast in a role, instead of appearing explicitly to promote her own projects.

Like, MAYBE Rockstar could get her to sign on for something. But it'd be pointlessly expensive, even for them.

Look at the tier of celebrity that typically does celebrity appearances in games. Keanu's already a huge get, and he's several rungs below Gaga in the spectrum of celebrity. Ghost Recon is one of the biggest franchises for one of the biggest studios in the industry - and they signed on a fairly well known TV actor.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It sounded like the Keanu thing ended up being a bigger part of it than they expected. Seems like a lot of work to make that optional so I'm not surprised.