• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
But does she drink Monster energy drinks and is she eating Doritos for that sweet double XP like any real gamer does? Also she doesn't have a fedora, an anime body pillow or neck beard so I think she's not a real gamer... and she's not racist.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of women down play the fact that they play games because the moment they chime up about it, a bunch of dudes get in their face questioning their #gamercred and demand to know the depths of their video game knowledge, least they start calling them fake gamer girls.

Pretty much. Its bad enough for your average person who doesn't have like millions of eyeballs on everything they do at all times.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Wha? I think its pretty nice. With more celebs into 'em maybe, just maybe the days of games being portrayed with beeps and boops in media will come to an end lol. Plus celebs/athletes/whathaveyou are people kids look up to ya know? Giving 'em an additional reason to relates pretty cool.

I see your point I honestly agree with you too, but people will never stop judging and also people online can be really toxic to celebs.

So yeah I dont see that happening any time soon .

Also dont forget video games as a hoppy still being seen as nerd\ geek\ childish stuff among adults, literally look at the thread in about being identified as gamer 80% comments dont wants to be identified as gamer in public and you expects celebs to do so?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any affinity for her at all as a pop musician, but one has to admire the way she lives her life. Sings with Tony Bennett one day, plays Bayonetta the next. The dream.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Some say that the phrase YAS QUEEN is overused, but nothing has ever been YAS QUEEN-er than this.

Rated-G

Oct 29, 2017
Do you think celebrities feel they have to keep this hobby hidden? If so, why? If not, are these sorts of hobbies a "secret" because they don't come up in interviews?

Absolutely. Maybe not all, but some for sure, and especially women. One of my best friends is a celebrity that I met through video games, and she never talks about her relatively "nerdy" interests or love of video games publicly because of the type of audience that attracts, and how she's seen examples of the harassment from gamers and enthusiasts. She already deals with death threats, hacking attempts, invasions of privacy, and unwanted advances from "fans", but the level of scrutiny the gatekeeping kind of nerds exhibit, especially toward women, and the kind of attention that can come from her dropping, say, a tweet about Bayonetta, makes her uneasy. She likes to maintain privacy and normalcy, so she keeps her specific interests to herself.

They also typically don't come up in interviews, they would have to be doing an interview for an outlet more versed in games or something, or be attached to a project that is connected. Most don't talk too much about games, and so it's always a surprise with someone notable shares interest in Metroid or Bayonetta. It would be awesome if everyone felt as comfortable to talk about their interests and hobbies as a most male celebrities do. Seeing so many of them excited about the latest FIFA, sharing Spider-Man photos, and fishing about RDR2 shows that not everyone feels they have to keep it hidden, but I don't think the men are as antagonized about it as the women are.

I think a lot of women down play the fact that they play games because the moment they chime up about it, a bunch of dudes get in their face questioning their #gamercred and demand to know the depths of their video game knowledge, least they start calling them fake gamer girls.

Basically this^

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a fucking celebrity in this town

Oct 25, 2017
canada
DrH2GX3WkAEhOCv.jpg:large

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
I can't wait till #Secertgamer meme gets beaten into the ground. A Bajillion copies of RDR2 were sold. There are no "Secret Gamers" anymore.
Gaming is in that weird place where everyone does it but people still feel the need to delineate between a regular person and a "gamer." Kind of like how you used to be made fun of for liking Star Wars even though literally everyone has seen Star Wars.

I would imagine because the term "gamer" and video games in general still have a very negative connotation with people as something for nerds and losers, especially in light of Gamegate and other such bullshit. So even people who love video games feel like they have to separate themselves or not talk about it.

In the case of Lady Gaga, though, I could also see her keeping it to herself for so long because it's either A. not the kind of thing she feels her fanbase would be interested in or B. she likes to have a few hobbies just for herself.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
But because she's famous, she might end up in the next Bayo game or play bayonetta in a movie or something
The thing most people do not know is the fact how much of a paper nightmare is to involve a "Star" into a game. Especially for Japanese company. EA does it because of connections with sport companies.

I dont think we even going to see GaGa use Bayonetta image in her future clips since Japanese are quite defensive of their IP's and give a lot of rules to use them, I'm pretty sure her agents would call these moves more of a waste of time then even curious experience, plus you never can satisfy game fans.

Would be cool though I'm dont see her as Bayonetta, GaGa does have presence but Bayoneeta is a tall order for any real life woman to fulfill. Like we talking here not just a Queen but THE Queen.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Henry Cavill is playing Geralt so maybe Gaga can be Bayonetta……?

I think she'd have a lot of fun with the campiness, but the random detail I'm getting stuck on is that Gaga is pretty short while Bayonetta is very tall. But if two trilogies starring hobbits can be done and made believable, I'm sure the reverse could be done as well.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
The thing most people do not know is the fact how much of a paper nightmare is to involve a "Star" into a game. Especially for Japanese company. EA does it because of connections with sport companies.

I dont think we even going to see GaGa use Bayonetta image in her future clips since Japanese are quite defensive of their IP's and give a lot of rules to use them, I'm pretty sure her agents would call these moves more of a waste of time then even curious experience, plus you never can satisfy game fans.

Would be cool though I'm dont see her as Bayonetta, GaGa does have presence but Bayoneeta is a tall order for any real life woman to fulfill. Like we talking here not just a Queen but THE Queen.
I would not expect Lady Gaga to be in a future game at all but I could see promotional deals working out if all parties involved are fine with it. SEGA's usually super lax about this stuff.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of Lady Gaga, though, I could also see her keeping it to herself for so long because it's either A. not the kind of thing she feels her fanbase would be interested in or B. she likes to have a few hobbies just for herself.

Or C) Call me cynical, but when I see a celebrity who publicly "Nerds out" I see it as a marketing ploy.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yassssss. I'm already a big fan. Im not surprised she likes Bayo. Bayonetta's outfits are clearly inspired by Lady Gaga and probably vice versa. Once she wins those several Oscars, I hope she entices some producer to make a Bayo movie with her as the lead lol.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, call me when she starts using a game cube as her purse

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Or C) Call me cynical, but when I see a celebrity who publicly "Nerds out" I see it as a marketing ploy.
Marketing to who, though? I don't think Gaga's traditional fanbase has much crossover with people likely to buy a niche Japanese action game. Look at the comments under her tweet; her fans mostly have no idea wtf she's talking about. lol

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
If this is true good because I'd love for more Gaga x Bayo, that's like a dream come true

But I think she probably just likes the game. It's not like a huge series or anything that could get a star like her in an ad campaign.

Plus it doesn't make sense since Bayo 1 came out on switch 6 months ago

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
The next Oscar playing such a great game is good shit.

She's probably playing it on Switch 'cause she's very cool.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Gaga all about dat Dada.

I've never listened to her music, but there's a documentary about her on Netflix and she seems really cool.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
She's an actress now, so go ahead and produce and star in the movie please.

And keep Paul W.S. Anderson the fuck away