• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Mixed feelings, with all the other WB-Discovery-DC antics as of late.... they're deciding to bankroll this concept ? It would want to be spectacular.

Joker was unique, can lightning strike twice and (potentially) be good enough to get a third film which might feature a showdown with Batman ?
I don't think that's what they're doing with these films. They're experimental spin off movies that are a bit award-baity, the Robert Pattinson films I think are building up to a Joker-Batman showdown in the third film. I guess they'll do Mr Freeze or another arc villain in the Batman 2, and then the final joker face off in the batman 3.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
So... all the musical pieces are going to be in Joker's head? Might work. Musicals are hard to pull off, but when they work, they work, Once More With Feeling is probably the best Buffy episode, and it's all how they managed to make all the musical pieces work.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the theory on reddit but I agree with the "musical" likely being in the heads of the characters. It will be a straight forward film where lots of dark shit happens while some other psychotic/light hearted musical plays out in harley/jokers heads as it happens.

Todd Phillips aint directing a straight up musical lol but I actually like this theory and hope it's true. Adds a nice spin.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the theory on reddit but I agree with the "musical" likely being in the heads of the characters. It will be a straight forward film where lots of dark shit happens while some other psychotic/light hearted musical plays out in harley/jokers heads as it happens.

Todd Phillips aint directing a straight up musical lol but I actually like this theory and hope it's true. Adds a nice spin.

So... kinda like SuckerPunch?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds amazing. As someone who liked the first movie, it's a pretty one and done movie, a regular sequel wouldn't interest me much. Being a musical is the perfect twist.
Like said, it could be a straightforward sequel where Arthur meets Harleen in Arkham, and the musical sequences are hallucinations or daydreams like the first film has.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wasn't even aware that 2 was happening... sigh. The first movie was a 7/10 when I left the theater and ended up a 5/10 for me after sitting with it for some time. Just abysmal writing propped up by a great performance by Phoenix...

And this is supposed to be a musical now? Kudos to them for trying to think outside the box but I'm not sure about that choice.

Having said all that, I still somehow have a slight desire to see it. Possibly morbid curiosity.

Last edited:

Yeona

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
And this is supposed to be a musical now? Kudos to them for trying to think outside the box but I'm not sure about that choice.

I love how they're doing everything in their power to try to mask that this is just a movie about american super hero villains. Casting off-genre method actors; accentuate the themes of mental illness because it sounds more mature that way; make the sequel another genre entirely; give it a literal french subtitle that has the word "two" in it and is an outdated term for a psychiatric disorder because calling it "JOKER 2" would be unbelievably tone deaf and tacky; he just went to town.

Todd just really really likes Taxi Driver and hates the fact that for his entire career he was stuck making stoner comedies, and he was given the job of making a movie about a cartoon clown and he was like,

"I'll show them. I'll show them all."

Todd truly lives in a society.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
I love how they're doing everything in their power to try to mask that this is just a movie about american super hero villains. Casting off-genre method actors; accentuate the themes of mental illness because it sounds more mature that way; make the sequel another genre entirely; give it a literal french subtitle that has the word "two" in it and is an outdated term for a psychiatric disorder because calling it "JOKER 2" would be unbelievably tone deaf and tacky; he just went to town.

Todd just really really likes Taxi Driver and hates the fact that for his entire career he was stuck making stoner comedies, and he was given the job of making a movie about a cartoon clown and he was like,

"I'll show them. I'll show them all."

Todd truly lives in a society.
It definitely gives off the vibe of someone trying VERY hard to be taken seriously while failing at being subtle about it. Fitting for the movie Joker was haha. I'll give him actor choice because you never know what someone is capable of in a role until they're in it and Phoenix did great. But everything else I feel you forsure. I honestly think they could have pulled it off in the first with better writing though I doubt they see any problems with it considering how well the movie did.

But I still want to see it when it hits streaming. Guess that says something about me as well lol

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
The whole this is a musical kills this for me. I liked the first movie just not sure about a musical. Will wait and see I guess

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Probably be contextualised, Arthur has hallucinations in the first film like where he's worshipped on the murray show. The musical scenes might just be projecting Arthur as cool and alluring, when he's a psycho loser behind the curtains.
Folie a deux means shared delusions, that's absolutely where any songs are going to take place, in their heads in this shared delusion

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
I haven't seen Joker but I will likely skip it and watch this instead.

I'm up for Harley and Joker Sweeney Todd.

Joker isn't a a bad movie, it's just... Taxi Driver-lite with a DC skin. Trying very hard to be a serious movie for serious people about serious subject.

It also features a very different Joker, a great performance by a very dedicated actor, who would never be at all a Joker that could threaten The Batman, because they're trying to be as realistic as possible, and Batman isn't realistic.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Joker isn't a a bad movie, it's just... Taxi Driver-lite with a DC skin. Trying very hard to be a serious movie for serious people about serious subject.

It also features a very different Joker, a great performance by a very dedicated actor, who would never be at all a Joker that could threaten The Batman, because they're trying to be as realistic as possible, and Batman isn't realistic.

I was looking forward to it, but I have to admit, as shitty as this may sound, the right wing embracing of the character and memes turned me away. Same reason I can't watch things like Fight Club anymore.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I hate musicals, but I'm in for Gaga as Harley Quinn.

I'm sure this will be cancelled because of the Discovery merger, like everything

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
I thing Gaga is a talented singer and songwriter, but I am not a fan of her acting. I thought she was bearable in 'A Star Is Born', poor in AHS 'Hotel', but 'House of Gucci' was a complete and utter clusterfuck. Her Transylvanian Italian accent made me wince every time she opened her mouth. Her whole performance was jarring. That said, the whole film was an incredibly misguided effort.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
I was looking forward to it, but I have to admit, as shitty as this may sound, the right wing embracing of the character and memes turned me away. Same reason I can't watch things like Fight Club anymore.

I'm not exactly sure what it is the right wing take from the movie, it's not conservative. In any case, people looking for a specific message in a story can almost always find it, with more or less torturing of the piece. And I'm pretty sure the same will be true of the next Joker movie.

But it's not like it's a required movie, so, you do you.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I cannot wait for this line to be sung by Lady Gaga:
Mr J, we live in a society, riiiiight?

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Like said, it could be a straightforward sequel where Arthur meets Harleen in Arkham, and the musical sequences are hallucinations or daydreams like the first film has.

I mean probably, but that doesn't mean there won't be several numbers. They're casting a pop star for a reason.

Is there really a difference between a musical or a musical in their head? Clearly the musical part is going to be psychosis or delusion. Now the question is whose? The whole movie could play out from her perspective and her delusion is musical grandor masking a comic accurate abusive Joker. If they do that I pray the trilogy ender is a Batman movie with a simular "Batman is just as crazy as them" vibe.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Anyone who hates an entire genre is fucking cringe.

I'm sorry but I really have that kind of dreadful cliched low-brow opinion about musicals where it's like "why don't they just communicate normally?"

And I know all the arguments. All dialogue and characters in films are highly stylized even when they pretend not to be, it's a core part of the storytelling, the singing supposedly allows for greater uninhibited exploration of emotions (though that part doesn't work for me), etc.

To me what it mostly is is highly distracting. I could be immersed in the plot and characters and then they start singing like la di da in an otherwise very serious scene and it just completely takes me out of it. I can admire the craft of it all and many of the performances but due to the style it's very difficult for me to get into the characters and storylines.

So I don't say I dislike musicals lightly or as an exaggeration; it's for very specific reasons and is just inherent to how those stories are delivered. That is an entire genre that just doesn't work for me. 🤷‍♀️

Having said that, if you are going to do a musical, casting Lady Gaga is a home run.

RUFF BEEST

Jun 10, 2022
Toronto, ON
I'll probably end up seeing it because I thought Joaquim's Joker was great. But I truly hated every second of "A Star is Born" I was exposed to. I didn't even see the film, just trailers and the cloying, unbearable performance of "Shallow" at the Oscars. Maybe I can still hold out hope that Gaga's part is small, because I truly dislike her in "musical theater" mode, and don't really have any admiration for anything she does other than her activism. That's beside the problem of not liking musicals unless they have subversive humor (e.g. the South Park movie) or are like, Disney movies for kids.

I fear this is going to lean into the shock value of being sorta annoying/aggressively loud with itself and Gaga acting "crazy" (opposite Joaquim) just sounds like hell to watch.

Anyone who hates an entire genre is fucking cringe.
What the hell do you care if someone doesn't like a genre of something? Leave them alone.