• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

The album was originally to come out on the 10th of April, but it was delayed so Gaga could focus on helping with the COVID-19 situation (which she raised over $100 million for by asking corporations to donate, and hosted a benefit concert for Global Citizen and the WHO Relief fund).

The album is described as a return to her dance pop roots after the jazz album Cheek to Cheek with Tony Bennett, the more rock and folk influenced Joanne, and the A Star is Born Soundtrack. It will be her first primarily pop album since ARTPOP (2013).

The lead single "Stupid Love" is so far the only track that has been officially released

The Tracklist
  1. Chromatica I
  2. Alice
  3. Stupid Love
  4. Rain on Me (with Ariana Grande)
  5. Free Woman
  6. Fun Tonight
  7. Chromatica II
  8. 911
  9. Plastic Doll
  10. Sour Candy (with BLACKPINK)
  11. Enigma
  12. Replay
  13. Chromatica III
  14. Sine from Above (with Elton John)
  15. 1000 Doves
  16. Babylon

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Stupid Love was awful and sounded at least 12 years late. I love her voice, but her musical taste is honestly crap.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I guess that some of those songs are pre/inter/post-ludes, but a 16-tracks album seems so rare these days. I'm hyped.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
She has released much better work in the past vs. her newest singles but I hope this hits, not because she needs it ( her status is cemented) but because Gaga firing hits is always great. There has already been some great pop this year too, curious how this matches up.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that it is back on track, even if I doubt she'll ever come close to matching her previous successes.

Is she going to tour in support of the album?

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Stupid love grew on me but Its still pretty weak, wished she released at least one more song for me to live off of till the album.

OP
OP
Phendrift

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear that it is back on track, even if I doubt she'll ever come close to matching her previous successes.

Is she going to tour in support of the album?
The tour is a Stadium one with 6 dates scheduled for July-August, but it'll probably end up being cancelled or postponed due to COVID :/
Stupid love grew on me but Its still pretty weak, wished she released at least one more song for me to live off of till the album.
Lots of people in the know actually seem pretty confident that Rain on Me (the Ariana collab) will be released a week or two before the album along with the video for it!

A snippet leaked and it sounds sooo good

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm the biggest Gaga fan here on Era and, yeah, the hype is at a fever pitch right now. Stupid Love is good fun, and I'm happy to see she's at a place again where she can write pop that doesn't need any extra sauce. Seriously can't wait for this!

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Finally. I've been waiting for her to return to straightforward dance pop since she veered off that path after Fame Monster. Not that I haven't enjoyed her newer albums. Artpop was fire, but kind of its own kooky animal.

Last edited:

timshundo

CANCEL YOUR AMAZON PRIME
Oct 27, 2017
CA
I think I'm the biggest Gaga fan here on Era and, yeah, the hype is at a fever pitch right now. Stupid Love is good fun, and I'm happy to see she's at a place again where she can write pop that doesn't need any extra sauce. Seriously can't wait for this!
"Pop that doesn't need any extra sauce" is... a take haha.

I'm also a huge stan but I've just been gradually more and more let down since BTW. I so much want a comeback for her, innovation-wise... the reason why she caught everyone's attention in the first place. I LOVE the visual styling of Chromatica so far, it's really her best, but Stupid Love wasn't it. My fingers are crossed so hard for the next single.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Keep it.

SL was dated as fuck. Like how do you even think that would be a great lead single?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I've revisited Joanne and after deeming it shit at release, I now find Perfect Illusion and Hey Girl acceptable. But just barely.

PI has a beautiful instrumental.

We will see what happens with Chromatica, but I will try to approach with an open mind. Stupid Love was shit tho...
Keep it.

SL was dated as fuck. Like how do you even think that would be a great lead single?
you're correct. It's very 2013. I'm going to assume it's the safest track on the album, which is why she released it. Even the Little Monsters threw it away after a listen or two.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Also this era has my favorite aesthetics! Probably because she decided to rip off Grimes wholesale lmao

it is what it is tho...

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
What's edgy about that?

It being almost out of the HOT 100 and streaming less than Katy's year old non-single probably has something to do with its dated sound, which isn't an unpopular opinion among pop listeners.
This sounds like Twitter hogwash wherein (mostly) gay cis-men pit women against each other based on their success. There is room at the table for multiple female artists to excel: I am not the greatest fan of Stupid Love either but it's poor to compare two women's successes in order to invalidate the other's.

Further, it is okay to allow people to like things without reducing or belittling their opinion.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Born This Way is Gaga's best album, don't @ me bitch! I'm expecting Chromatica to basically be BTW Part 2. I'm also expecting the album to:
- hit # 1
- be nominated for awards (this is her post-ASIB comeback)
- be filled with bops and deliver more fun visuals this era
- cure Covid-19
Gaga fans (prior to ASIB) have had it rough; the Artpop era was a fiasco, that horrid jazz album she did with a living mummy happened, JOANNE in general 🤢 (and its related Netflix doc 🤢🤢). Chromatica can turn it all around for Stefani!

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
They should have never delayed it, with Stupid Love leaking as early as it did that should have been the sign. Now, we have snippets of like 5 other songs off the album.

Stupid Love was okay, I'm not a Lady Gaga stan or anything but I'll give the album a listen, hopefully its good.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Also this era has my favorite aesthetics! Probably because she decided to rip off Grimes wholesale lmao

it is what it is tho...

Tbh I'm surprised she actually went with this. Gaga isn't new to the "purposely ugly" aesthetic (remember the original BTW cover?), but I while I really like this, I feel like it's been done a lot in the last few years, following the vaporwave aesthetic. I see tons of hyperpop covers with this kind of graphic design.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
What's edgy about that?

It being almost out of the HOT 100 and streaming less than Katy's year old non-single probably has something to do with its dated sound, which isn't an unpopular opinion among pop listeners.

Yeah, to be fair it leaked a whole month before it released and made a lot of noise. Hell there was even a thread about the leak on Era of all places. Chart performance is the lamest topic there is, but if it matters so much, this song literally went top 5. She barely mentioned the song after dropping it too so I doubt she was passionate about it taking over the world. Agree that Stupid Love isn't progressive in the least, but I didn't need it to be. Honestly the expectations for lead singles put on big pop acts feels pre-destined to never be met, and I feel like I'd miss out on appreciating genuinely good material because I need to compare it to like, Bad Romance. The song needs to be catchy but also layered, fun but profound, totally new but immediately accessible. I can't think of a major act who dropped a lead and people were like "wow this is perfect," unless it's realized way after the fact.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I feel like I've waited 100 years. Give it to me NOW!

By the way, let's cut the edgy r/popheads bullshit, Gaga has never released a bad album.

She is literally one of the most talented and beautiful souls alive today, give her the love she deserves.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Everyone in this thread when the album hits 80+ Metacritic:

mLE6BF6.gif

wholahay

Dec 18, 2017
Stupid Love was awful and sounded at least 12 years late. I love her voice, but her musical taste is honestly crap.

Come on now! It's not exactly a cutting edge song, but this is not what 2008 sounded like.

Gaga's got a lot of hits and misses but I'm cautiously optimistic for the album as a whole. The snippet of Babylon from her makeup ads has me more excited than Stupid Love.

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
This sounds like Twitter hogwash wherein (mostly) gay cis-men pit women against each other based on their success. There is room at the table for multiple female artists to excel: I am not the greatest fan of Stupid Love either but it's poor to compare two women's successes in order to invalidate the other's.

Further, it is okay to allow people to like things without reducing or belittling their opinion.
My intention was not to pit them against each other but more so to illustrate how her lead single is underperforming partly due to how dated it sounds. I used Katy's song merely as a point of comparison since it sounds more current, and still pulling in number despite being a year older.

Probably not the best choice since the petty stan wars between the two fanbases, but whatever.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
a
My intention was not to pit them against each other but more so to illustrate how her lead single is underperforming partly due to how dated it sounds. I used Katy's song merely as a point of comparison since it sounds more current, and still pulling in number despite being a year older.

Probably not the best choice since the petty stan wars between the two fanbases, but whatever.

FWIW I agree with where you're coming from. I'm not sure when comparing artists to their contemporaries became a bad thing? I hope her album review thread doesn't turn toxic with people trying very hard to aggro argue against any criticisms at all, because this thread sure seems like a preview. It's ok not to worship everything a pop artist puts out.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't kept up with Gaga since ARTPOP but I appreciate the SNES RPG aesthetics

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, that's good news, I was wondering when she would release it after the delay. Always looking forward to a new Gaga album. Particularly interested in the Ariana and Blackpink collabs 👀

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Charli XCX "how i'm feeling now" drops next week. Prepare for the slayage. Also I think Carly Rae Jepsen is also dropping this month. Packed tbh

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know if SOPHIE worked on Chromatica? I remember reading that somewhere a few months (years? lol) ago.

Soulsis

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know yet but doesn't sound likely. When Bloodpop listed a bunch of producers who worked on Chromatica, SOPHIE wasn't included and when questioned about it he said "TBA"

My guess is SOPHIE co-produced the bonus track "Love Me Right", since that's the only one not credited with the other producers. The title doesn't really scream SOPHIE at all, but still wouldn't surprise me. Reminds me of when I found out Beck was involved on "Dancin In Circles" lol

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Interested for sure. I liked stupid love - it felt very energetic and Gaga-like. Matbw not the most original song, but I keep hearing lot worse pop from radio constantlym

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if SOPHIE worked on Chromatica? I remember reading that somewhere a few months (years? lol) ago.

Probably for the best that SOPHIE isn't on any of these tracks.

I'd rather have a full blown SOPHIE production credit or nothing at all. She doesn't deserve to be shoehorned in with a huge list of other producers, it happened on Rebel Heart and was such a shame.

I don't expect much from this release given the production names, but Stupid Love was a stupid bop. So I'll still listen.

Last edited:

Alrus

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Hated stupid love, not surprised it was kind of a dud. Will listen to the album, hopefully

Ooh a Blackpink collab. Could be good.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Lady Gaga's doing a collaboration with a Final Fantasy character? Very cool.

legit excited to hear Rain On Me

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Stupid Love is so regressive, but I find it kind of irresistible when I actually listen to it - joyous and melodic, both qualities in shockingly short supply in pop music these days. I give it a pass just for that. It's a shame they don't do proper 12" mixes these days, it could be improved by an extended version, I can hear it veering off into early Whitney Houston territory at times.