• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
This is the band's statement. They haven't really been using the name for the last decade. They have been known as Lady Antebellum.

It would not only make it more difficult for the Real Lady A to brand her shows, but it would also mean her giving up the right to sue over a name she rightfully owns.
I mean, they have merchandise with Lady A, so they use it enough for that.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem, though. If she didn't aggressively defend the trademark, she does not own it.
Not so sure that's how it works.

It's about who is first to use a name. Audience size is irrelevant," says Bob Celestin, a longtime music attorney who's represented Pusha T and Missy Elliott. "And the question is, does the original Lady A have a trademark registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office? If she does, she can go ahead and sue Lady Antebellum for infringement. If not, she still has a common law trademark and she can still show that she's been using the name in commerce — records, posters, tour flyers — for a number of years. She is first to use the mark in commerce, so that gives her a superior right to the name."

Celestin adds that if two artists who work in different genres end up with the same name, they can reach a coexistence agreement that allows both groups to market music under the name by acknowledging the slim chance for confusion. "But you could say that blues is the foundation of country, so they're very close in genre, and if they're close in genre there's much more confusion in the marketplace," he say

www.rollingstone.com

Lady Antebellum Is Now 'Lady A.' But So Is a Blues Singer Who's Used the Name for 20 Years

Lady Antebellum changed their name to "Lady A," unaware that there was a 61-year-old black singer with multiple albums with the same name.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Not so sure that's how it works.

www.rollingstone.com

Lady Antebellum Is Now 'Lady A.' But So Is a Blues Singer Who's Used the Name for 20 Years

Lady Antebellum changed their name to "Lady A," unaware that there was a 61-year-old black singer with multiple albums with the same name.

It would seem the quoted attourneys in that article are commenting without the knowledge that the band has been using the Lady A branding on merchandise for almost a decade. If that is true, it changes everything.

Last edited:

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
That's the problem, though. If she didn't aggressively defend the trademark, she does not own it.
I guess we'll see if their lawyers can make that argument which is what they are trying to do, but it still seems like they're stealing her name and making it more difficult for her to market.

Just because they can get away with owning someone else's name because they are a huge band with Nashville music backing doesn't make it right.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
They should call themselves Lady Anti-BLM.
dead2.gif

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It would seem the quoted attournies in that article are commenting without the knowledge that the band has been using the Lady A branding on merchandise for almost a decade. If that is true, it changes everything.
She should have been suing them for using her name as sub-branding on merchandise a decade ago. So when they received push-back for their racist name, they wouldn't feel comfortable just taking it over.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
I guess we'll see if their lawyers can make that argument which is what they are trying to do, but it still seems like they're stealing her name and making it more difficult for her to market.

Just because they can get away with owning someone else's name because they are a huge band with Nashville music backing doesn't make it right.

It's unfortunate, but trademarks have to be actively defended to remain valid and that is for the public good writ large.

If the following quote from the times article is true (and it would be easily verified), the case is clear:

The group first applied to register "Lady A" for use in music, videos, live performances and merchandise in 2010, the suit says, adding "no oppositions were filed by any person or entity, including White."

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate, but trademarks have to be actively defended to remain valid and that is for the public good writ large.

If the following quote from the times article is true (and it would be easily verified), the case is clear:
I guess we'll see. I don't know if I expect a musical act to be vigilant to trademark filings for abbreviations of a group that has marketed themselves as Lady Antebellum as an entity pretty clearly to the point where it was big news when they changed their actual band name. I think it's clear that she was using it longer than them in commerce. I think, no matter what, it's a completely shitty thing to do and they should have picked a new name.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
They're just suing for a judgment saying the name is theirs, no money is involved.

Legally their case is far from strong, hence her demand for money for the name.

$10 million doesn't seem that steep to me to be honest

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
They're just suing for a judgment saying the name is theirs, no money is involved.

Legally their case is far from strong, hence her demand for money for the name.

$10 million doesn't seem that steep to me to be honest
The name is not theirs, but it also isn't owned by Lady A (the singer) because she didn't oppose the trademark by the band. They've been using it for a long time (but for a shorted time than the singer) but because she hand't said anything it seems the band can also use it.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure they should have changed the name to begin with. Antebellum isn't inherently problematic unless they leaned into the antebellum South imagery. I can't answer that question.

"On the BBC Radio 2 Drivetime Show August 9, 2010, the band explained that the name comes from when the group did a photo shoot in historical costumes at antebellum houses. In American history, the Antebellum era was the period in the Southern United States before the Civil War."

en.wikipedia.org

Lady A - Wikipedia

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
She has been using the name longer than the band has been around.

Performers don't have to trademark their name usually if they have fliers or proof they have been promoted and are using a name.

Also, Lady A owns an LLC with her name.

Lady Antebellum would have known someone else already had this name by searching google or Spotify. The fact that they had Lady A trademarked meant they were probably anticipating this day coming.

They are trying to say since she didn't contest their trademark in 2011 she loses the right to sue them.
And they're the ones who want to look like the good guys?.....lol

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Without going into the details, the optics are not good. Reading the details, it seems they're doing this just so they cannot be litigated because they go by this short-form. Makes sense considering Anita White already asked for 10 million. Probably should have just changed it to a whole new one at this point.
Yeah, a suit for declaratory judgment is pretty common to get an answer from a judge in the record. Don't think they have a good case, based on her prior use, but it's not like they're trying to get millions of dollars out of her, though.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would seem the quoted attourneys in that article are commenting without the knowledge that the band has been using the Lady A branding on merchandise for almost a decade. If that is true, it changes everything.
Not really, McDonald's lost the Big Mac trademark despite using it for decades.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Doesn't that boil down to "whoever can pay the legal fees owns the trademark"?

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
White Names Matter.

Yeah, disgusting. Even if they have the trademark since 2011 they should have worked with the singer to clear things out.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"Give us this thing cause we are white and rich, nigger"

That all I see, they knew their name was racist before they picked it. Now that the winds have changed they don't get to pick on a black woman with a lesser platform

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I know it was said that this is not an "attack" in the proper sense, but these assholes had a name with racist imagery, changed the name to kinda erase that, and picked the name of a black artist.
It's kinda funny when you put it like that. How do they not see how they're coming off? Not a good look, at all

Kayla

Oct 28, 2017
"Give us this thing cause we are white and rich, nigger"

That all I see, they knew their name was racist before they picked it. Now that the winds have changed they don't get to pick on a black woman with a lesser platform

yep these band members are card carrying klansmembers.

gerg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, McDonald's lost the Big Mac trademark despite using it for decades.

That was only in the EU, and as it appears because a chain called Supermac brought a claim against McDonald's for trying to have prevented Supermac from using their own name.

A key difference here is that Lady A (the band) doesn't want to prevent Lady A (the individual) from using that name.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if "legally" they're right in this situation (ie if the real Lady A knew they had merch with "Lady A" and didn't do anything about it). It's really the fact that they pretended like they were changing their band name for woke points because they were "sad" and "didn't know" that using the term Antebellum was a racist way of glamorizing slavery (which... they absolutely knew, don't be naive)... and then when a black woman says "um hey... I'm already Lady A?" they don't immediately apologize and find something else... instead they double down on it proving they did not give a single shit about black people when changing their name. They just did what every corporation has been doing and capitalizing on the BLM movement.

But those of you in this thread going hard for them being "in the right" are pretty transparent tbh. Pretending like you don't see the actual issue here and instead acting like because legally they may or may not win this case, that means they're "right"

Oct 27, 2017
They should change their name.

She had it first. Im not saying you have to give her the 10 mil, but if that's what she's asking for and you don't want to pay it change it to something else.

Not saying thats how the law works, but in this case it sure should. Making smaller musicians actively defend and police and sue to protect their name is not a reasonable ask under risk of having identity and brand for decades stolen.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
So, change your name out of respect for Black Americans and then sue a Black American for the same name and...blame it on her?

Wow.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
White band changes its name to that of an existing black singer, then not only claims the black singer is in the wrong for using that name but SUES that black singer because of it.

Sounds about white.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
It doesn't matter if "legally" they're right in this situation (ie if the real Lady A knew they had merch with "Lady A" and didn't do anything about it). It's really the fact that they pretended like they were changing their band name for woke points because they were "sad" and "didn't know" that using the term Antebellum was a racist way of glamorizing slavery (which... they absolutely knew, don't be naive)... and then when a black woman says "um hey... I'm already Lady A?" they don't immediately apologize and find something else... instead they double down on it proving they did not give a single shit about black people when changing their name. They just did what every corporation has been doing and capitalizing on the BLM movement.

But those of you in this thread going hard for them being "in the right" are pretty transparent tbh. Pretending like you don't see the actual issue here and instead acting like because legally they may or may not win this case, that means they're "right"
I feel like I'm missing something. The article says they were working together with Lady A for some time and both parties were in agreement, and then shortly after Lady A required $10 million for use of the name. Like, this doesn't seem as nefarious as people are making it out to be.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm missing something. The article says they were working together with Lady A for some time and both parties were in agreement, and then shortly after Lady A required $10 million for use of the name. Like, this doesn't seem as nefarious as people are making it out to be.
They weren't. Lady Antebellum's band name was Lady Antebellum. They registered a trademark for Lady A as a lot of businesses do to cover their bases and as sub-branding for merchandising. They probably also realized they may need to back off their racist brand some day.

"Lady A" has been actively performing with this as her stage name long before Lady Antebellum.

They are stealing her name.

The idea that Lady Antebellum agreeing to not sue her with the threat of lawsuit for her to forfeit the name is some horseshit. It's the kind of thing companies do to try to shut up smaller businesses.

The correct reaction to being called out for your racist name would be to completely change the name. Not abbreviate it, then get called out for absorbing someone else's brand, then leak the negotiations to say everything is okay, then leak the dollar figure she is asking for to take her name, only to then sue her and pretend "we're all in this together."

The music industry has a long history of theft and appropriation. Black people should just be happy the band's lawyers aren't forcing her to erase her existence off the internet and the Seattle music scene is the expectation from a lot of people.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas

If they officially change their name to Lady A then suddenly it makes it insanely difficult for Lady A to advertise herself as an artist because the big rich entity that now calls itself "Lady A" is going to be what fans think of when they see it advertised.

So she wants to be compensated for the impending loss of her business, essentially. I think that's fair.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
If they officially change their name to Lady A then suddenly it makes it insanely difficult for Lady A to advertise herself as an artist because the big rich entity that now calls itself "Lady A" is going to be what fans think of when they see it advertised.

So she wants to be compensated for the impending loss of her business, essentially. I think that's fair.
Also, anyone in the music business knows when this time comes and her life is ruined forfeiting her right to sue means she will just have to watch as this racist band uses her name with her coerced permission as her career is fucked. The new band just absorbs her livelihood.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
Lady A is probably going to lose this, Antebellum registered the mark for Lady A something like a decade ago and Lady A never contested it in all that time.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Also, anyone in the music business knows when this time comes and her life is ruined forfeiting her right to sue means she will just have to watch as this racist band uses her name with her coerced permission as her career is fucked. The new band just absorbs her livelihood.

This is essentially why it needs to be fought. They can't claim to be doing something because of morals and ethics and then achieve that measure by completely going against those supposed morals and ethics.

They're in a position that allows them to pick a different name instead of Lady A, but they don't want to be inconvenienced.
The REAL Lady A doesn't want to lose her livelihood and career.

Big difference, yeah?