• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Spiders are not a threat to you
Depends on the spider. Black Widows and Brown Recluses are, and are exempt from catch and release as far as I'm concerned because fuck if I'm gonna wake up with a silver dollar-sized hole in me

That said, the blow torch was entirely unnecessary. Should've just gotten a shoe or a magazine.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My mom almost got her hand amputated after a brown recluse spider bite, but fortunately the three antibiotics kept the venom from spreading.

I show no pity for their deaths.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spiders are the best, I have 7+ chilling in my room right now.

Also: please don't forget non-binary people exist when making thread titles.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Little guy was just chilling and you blast him with a flamethrower. :/

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Literally all you had to do was trap it and take it outside, spiders don't come after anyone. Horrible thread.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Most bites happen when they are stepped on accidentally or pressed upon. They don't go out of their way to bite humans for no reason.

It's not going to race up a stick at the speed of light and attach itself to your hand. Get a long stick, branch, piece of wood and it will most likely crawl onto it. Open the door and place it outside since you said it was on the door leading to your house.

Try not to burn down the place.

This was definitely a risk. As you can see from the video I thought he was dead already I didn't think he was alive

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the spider. Black Widows and Brown Recluses are, and are exempt from catch and release as far as I'm concerned because fuck if I'm gonna wake up with a silver dollar-sized hole in me

That said, the blow torch was entirely unnecessary. Should've just gotten a shoe or a magazine.
Yep, shoe is my go to. Brown recluses are super fast tho so you have to be on target or else it will scurry out from under it.

I'm not taking any chances with my kids getting a bite. I was putting my son to bed one night at the beginning of the summer and there was a brown recluse on his sheets. Just not worth taking any chances.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Yep, shoe is my go to. Brown recluses are super fast tho so you have to be on target or else it will scurry out from under it.

I'm not taking any chances with my kids getting a bite. I was putting my son to bed one night at the beginning of the summer and there was a brown recluse on his sheets. Just not worth taking any chances.

Brown Recluses are lightning fast.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
No fucking way would I try to catch and release something like that. No thank you.

But I also wouldn't use a lighter. Bug spray exists for a reason. I would just spray the spider and the immediate area and then flush it down the toilet like I always do.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Spiders are the best, I have 7+ chilling in my room right now.

Also: please don't forget non-binary people exist when making thread titles.

Sorry for quoting this but are you being serious right now or just messing around I can't tell on Era

No fucking way would I try to catch and release something like that. No thank you.

But I also wouldn't use a lighter. Bug spray exists for a reason. I would just spray the spider and the immediate area and then flush it down the toilet like I always do.

I really thought it would die instantly. I mean wouldn't you think a flame thrower on something that small would be an instant kill. I can't imagine poison being somehow quicker and less painful for it.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I spray the borders of my home with insecticide to keep Black Widows away. I recommend doing the same thing.

Using a lighter....is.....strange

You probably could have safely got that one outside.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
I'd have killed it too, OP.

I don't fuck with spiders.
On sight. Every time.

But the rule in my house is that my wife will catch & release whenever she's home. Otherwise, I'm squashing it quickly.

Wait everyone spams the "kill it with fire" but then is pissed when actually done? Cmon Era.

makes you think

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You did the right thing OP. Fuck catch and release for something venomous like black widows. Should have just crushed the bastard tho

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Eff that. I don't mess with spiders/scorpions/snakes in my house. I kill those on sight. I'm not running that risk, especially with my 4 year old son running around.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know about setting it on fire, but I'd absolutely kill any black widow I saw, there's no way in hell I'm risking a bite from one of those or a brown recluse.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
You have never EVER dealt with a black widow. Based on a lot of these replies I'm assuming most of you haven't either. They aren't curious critters they won't jump on your stick and wait to get whisked to another land.
They also won't aggressively attack you if you push them onto a piece of paper lmao

It is my understanding that most bad "bites" are formed because a skin infection developed at the bite site. The venom may cause some small problems but amputations are the work of infection, not the venom. These are small arachnids not big bushmaster snakes.

Keep it clean and you will be fine.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
So I have a friend who was using the toilet, and went to wipe their butt but found a spider! It had crawled in their crack while they were sleeping. They had nightmares for a few days about butt spiders.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): excessive hostility
fuck off you disgusting sack of shit

The fuck make you think this was appropriate to post

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have a live and let live policy with spiders... but not with black widows. Exterminate with extreme prejudice. You don't need them hanging around your building for someone else to accidentally get bit.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
They also won't aggressively attack you if you push them onto a piece of paper lmao

It is my understanding that most bad "bites" are formed because a skin infection developed at the bite site. The venom may cause some small problems but amputations are the work of infection, not the venom. These are small arachnids not big bushmaster snakes.

Keep it clean and you will be fine.

Actually moving them on a piece of paper outside ain't ideal. Most spiders that live indoors die if you put them outside. Insects evolve faster than mammals and they can't survive outside of room temperature for long periods. Ideally you wanna move them to a different spit in your house.

In regards to Black Widows and Brown Recluses I don't think anyone should be judgemental on killing them as they present a genuine threat, if rare.

Burning one though... That's needlessly cruel.

OP
OP
Bruceleeroy

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I love spiders.

This is not sarcasm.

I think the 'kill it with fire' crowd are fucking degenerates and the OP fucking deranged for thinking that animal abuse they committed is an appropriate thing to post here.

There is a Dr. Right above you. I think you should probably schedule a consult with him. I already did and he can't fit me in till Friday so I would jump on it