• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mntorankusu

Nov 13, 2017
(This is also the most likely reason why those recently revealed Shenmue remasters use a mix of 4;3 and widescreen aspect ratios, it probably switches to 4;3 during scenes where the frustum culling would be incredibly noticeable.)

It's not frustum culling exactly that causes issues in this case. They wouldn't be able to do widescreen at all if they didn't have control over culling. The reason for the 4:3 cutscenes is more likely because of issues like characters standing motionless outside of frame until they're intended to be seen. Basically, it's a good idea to respect the original cinematography unless you're willing to go through every cutscene and modify them on a case-by-case basis to fix weird stuff.

zyvorg

Oct 25, 2017
I have used Widescreen hacks for years and yeah, you will lots of elements popping in and out as well as characters in T-Poses.

This is fine for an enthusiast emulators but not for a console release.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The Original XDK did have an option to set resolution and if it was 4:3 or 16:9, they are using the resolution option but not the 4:3 or 16:9 because it can stretch out UI elements pretty badly

Qo9iAK3.png
IIRC it usually isn't adding actual pixels to the horizontal that way, either, it takes some away from what would otherwise be the native resolution (say, 640x480) and you end up with some garish 640x360 instead (not native res, but visible, due to scaling the image). Sometimes you can get both 480p and 16:9, but it's usually more like 720x480.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Wouldn't just 'enabling' widescreen stretch the image? Wouldn't they need to do a ton of work to enable it properly?
?

Look up the Dolphin wiki of literally any big GameCube release that doesn't natively support 16:9. You'll find a cheat code that's only a few lines long and, when enabled, enables widescreen support on the game without any graphical glitches. Examples on the top of my head: Twilight Princess (GC version), Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Bomberman Generation, Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes, Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Adventure 2... the list goes on and on. Again: A patch a few lines long made by random users by reverse engineering that works virtually flawlessly

Enabling widescreen in a game is pretty trivial. If it introduces minor issues in some cutscenes (for example: a character is supposed to walk out of the screen but now the screen is more wide), all you need to do is to make these cutscenes 4:3 or just put the 16:9 mode as an option with a warning. The end.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Widescreen hacks are a nice thing to have in fan-made emulators but you can't simply put them on commercial releases and call it a day. These games are sold and a certain amount of support is expected. They're not going to add anything that can cause additional trouble.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Widescreen hacks are a nice thing to have in fan-made emulators but you can't simply put them on commercial releases and call it a day. These games are sold and a certain amount of support is expected. They're not going to add anything that can cause additional trouble.
Guide button -> Xbox One X settings -> Enable Widescreen
Warning: This setting may introduce minor graphical issues in some cutscenes.

I don't see the problem.

I mean, they did release the Xbox BC in 360 as a barely working piece of shit and people accepted that it was better than nothing (because, yes, it was). I don't think anyone would be annoyed about the fantastic Xbox BC in Xbox One to have an optional opt-in widescreen setting that *may* introduce minor graphical glitches

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
WObDMdH.png

0uOlJqt.png

FFHArcl.png

A pretty garbage comparison since I only have GIMP here at the moment to work with, but keeping it 4:3 is far better than stretching or cropping.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
OP abandoned ship pretty fast.

I love it when threads go like this.

Lets not get nerdy here the two of you lol. Why would I jump ship when I expressed what I wanted to and people have either agreed or disagreed? This is not something I want to go back and forth on with the people who are defending it. I just want MS to find a way to add widescreen to games running on their emulator.

I would have paid double ($20) for a version of Conker that was a port and had widescreen, Xbox Play anywhere, achievements, and working online modes

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Lets not get nerdy here the two of you lol. Why would I jump ship when I expressed what I wanted to and people have either agreed or disagreed? This is not something I want to go back and forth on with the people who are defending it. I just want MS to find a way to add widescreen to games running on their emulator.

I would have paid double ($20) for a version of Conker that was a port and had widescreen, Xbox Play anywhere, achievements, and working online modes
Working online........you do realize that original live is dead. Adding online would be a herculean effort, not worth the extra $10 you are willing to drop.

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Working online........you do realize that original live is dead. Adding online would be a herculean effort, not worth the extra $10 you are willing to drop.

So doubling the price of the game wouldn't suffice? Unless you absolutely believe that I am the only living person willing to drop those "extra $10".....

Phire Phox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that Conker doesn't have widescreen support. I'm pretty sure some of Rare's N64 games had a widescreen mode.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
Ugly blemish, you say? I'm not surprised this kind of sentiment is still common even to this day. Hell, I've seen some people even in this day and age pooh-pooh letterboxed home video releases of movies filmed with a 2.40 aspect ratio, and I thought we were all past getting over that at least 10 years ago.

NXGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I am playing Conker right now and it looks truly stunning, but the fact that its in 4:3 screen format takes away so much from how nicely it has aged (and well running on an Xbox One X). The added detail and clarity with the black borders just looks so odd, as if something is wrong with the picture as the game passes nicely for a modern release with how crisp it looks.

What amazes me is that MS hasn't allowed their emulator to enable widescreen on games like Conker (a game that they own even) when other emulators have been able to achieve it.
3lW0yXR.jpg

Stretching 4:3 to 16:9 is a horrible idea, besides it would involve a hack of the game itself to do it half right and they do not touch code.

You can always zoom on your TV... *shudders :-)

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017
Funny this pops up. I'd been playing my OG PS2 a bit lately and I was so frustrated that my tv won't display it in its expected format and wants to stretch the image to 16:9 that I decided to give up playing PS2 games for now. Stretching images is not allowed in my house lol, I give my wife shit all the time.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
4:3 is beautiful, no problem for me. I play 4:3 stuff all the time (like the Super NT playing SNES games) on my 65" OLED. In a dark room you won't even notice. You're getting the games as they were originally designed.

VincentMatts

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They dont touch the code of the game and if they did, it would potentially break a million things. The whole point as to why theyre doing this is cause they dont have to touch the game code and thus, dont need anyone's permission to do it.

If they started changing the code, theyd need to get all those publishers permission to even do it. Some of them might even say no cause theyd wanna sell you remasters instead.

If they change nothing, they can do whatever they want.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
It would take the devs of the original game to add a widescreen mode. I say this because in emulated games, the FOV changes can cause clipping at the sides, the UI doesn't match and some 2D sprites don't play well with the mode, so all things need to be considered when adding one.

mellenials are so entitled lol
Is this a serious post?

Deepo

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Proper widescreen would be cool, but I doubt that would be possible with the way they emulate.

And 4:3 is a million times better than stretched 16:9.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017

You want a remaster
This is not a remaster. Its backward compatibility. You're getting ton of benefits as extra, not as obligation because they're trying to sell it to you again. You're still buying an OG Xbox game in the end.

Actually you want more than a remaster since you want play anywhere to stuff that never had a pc version. Its very unreasonable.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
I will never understand the perspective that prefers no black bars to image quality and proper scaling

While I generally agree with you, some of it depends on the size of your TV. Despite how maligned pan-and-scan was, I think it was basically essential given the tiny size of many/most televisions at the time.

(Not that I think this applies in the OP's case)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Ugly blemish, you say? I'm not surprised this kind of sentiment is still common even to this day. Hell, I've seen some people even in this day and age pooh-pooh letterboxed home video releases of movies filmed with a 2.40 aspect ratio, and I thought we were all past getting over that at least 10 years ago.
"I didn't pay full price to get half the picture!"

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

So would everyone else, but that's not what backwards compatibility was ever meant to do.

You want a remaster and that's fine.

Unless you actually wanted stretching (that's mad gross).

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a friendly reminder that 16:9 and even wider ratios were popularized not because they were good, but because theatre companies wanted a way to fight back against television. Many famous directors were forced to shoot their films in widescreen against their wishes, and they hated how much it messed with composition. It's really hard to frame shots in widescreen, and you can't do a lot of stuff you could do in 4:3. Black bars are fine. 4:3 is fine. Stretching is not fine. If the game supported widescreen as many did, great. But stuff like fixing cutscenes so stuff isn't glitching out of frame is not trivial.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just a friendly reminder that 16:9 and even wider ratios were popularized not because they were good, but because theatre companies wanted a way to fight back against television. Many famous directors were forced to shoot their films in widescreen against their wishes, and they hated how much it messed with composition. It's really hard to frame shots in widescreen, and you can't do a lot of stuff you could do in 4:3. Black bars are fine. 4:3 is fine. Stretching is not fine. If the game supported widescreen as many did, great. But stuff like fixing cutscenes so stuff isn't glitching out of frame is not trivial.

Pan and scan. Fucking awful!!!

How soon we forget.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
It would require edits to the game and even then some games would not look proper due to culling, etc

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would like the option to enable it. Obviously we're not talking about stretching the image. A few people here are making assumptions without any factual information.

This is Super Mario 64 in 16:9. Unfortunately this causes slowdown on consoles but runs fine in an emulator.

mario3.png

And this is Super Mario Sunshine running on my console. The GameCube actually runs it fine in 16:9.

2018-01-21%2018.59.51-1.png

GameShark on N64 and Swiss on GCN made this happen. It should be possible via Xbox One X emulation.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is like the people who need classic shows like tng to be in 16x9 because it's not using their entire screen

It was designed for 4:3...it should stay that way