• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I play a lot of games couch co op style. Sure, I've got plenty of indie PC games that fit my needs; recently, For the King has been great for myself and two friends. But I just don't understand the lack of AAA splitscreen support. It's disappointing that two huge games - Gears 5 and Borderlands 3 - both have splitscreen on console but inexplicably lack the option on PC.

Gears 5 is baffling because it has some splitscreen, just not everything. In fact, while you can play the campaign, incredibly replayable modes like Horde are purposefully omitted. Cool.

Borderlands 3 is especially disheartening because of its loot heavy nature. This is the exact type of game I'd want to play repeatedly with friends dropping in and out on PC. So even though it's a feature on console, for no explicit reason it is not available on PC.

Not only is this a shame because the feature already exists on other consoles, it's also a completely wasted opportunity for more creative uses of splitscreen. Why not include the feature and allow me to throw Player 2 on to another monitor? My GPU can definitely handle it. I know Borderlands 2 eventually got a splitscreen mod and it was fantastic. I played through most of the game that way and, while a little unstable, it was a ton of fun.

I've been on the fence about both of these games but recently, this disappointing news has put me squarely in the "wait and see" camp.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I was literally trying to get split screen horde working last night for me and my GF in Gears 5 and thought that I must be an idiot for not being able to figure it out. Glad to see it wasn't me lol.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is the reason for this? They just figure no one on PC has friends or loved ones in real life and it's not worth putting in the effort to add split screen? My PC is hooked up to my living room TV and I'm sure others have a similar setup. It's not just for hunching over a keyboard alone.

Wanted to pickup Plants vs Zombies: Battle For Neighborville on PC but it has no split screen while its console counterparts do. Went from being an instant buy to "I'll wait for a black friday deal and get it on Xbox." It's disappointing that I have 200+ games on my PC but when my fiancee wants to play something together I end up booting a Nintendo console.

Jan 4, 2018
Yeah, my dad and I play Gears Horde together a lot and he doesn't have a working headset, but we have to play in separate rooms since there's not split screen on PC, so he just yells across the apartment during play sessions, lol

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Not following either of those closely, i would have figured they had split screen from my experience with the past games. I havent played much bl or gears, but when i did it was split screen so i guess i think of it as a highlight feature.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If a splitscreen feature already exists on a console version then it should also be available on PC, it really sucks when PC versions lack this feature.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
What is the reason for this? They just figure no one on PC has friends or loved ones in real life and it's not worth putting in the effort to add split screen?
When games are already doing everything they can to get every drop of performance out of a particular machine, splitscreen is an incredibly difficult feature to add

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I'm inclined to believe that the number of people who want to use split-screen on a PC is incredibly low, which is why it isn't something devs prioritize.

OP
OP
PeterVenkman

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my dad and I play Gears Horde together a lot and he doesn't have a working headset, but we have to play in separate rooms since there's not split screen on PC, so he just yells across the apartment during play sessions, lol

this is hilarious and tragic all at once.

Not following either of those closely, i would have figured they had split screen from my experience with the past games. I havent played much bl or gears, but when i did it was split screen so i guess i think of it as a highlight feature.

I felt similarly when I was looking to buy one of these the other day to play with a friend. It started out as "maybe I'll by both," then "maybe I'll get whichever has splitscreen" to "fuck it."

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Even when their counterparts on weaker machines have splitscreen? Plants vs Zombies has splitscreen on PS4 and XB1.
Well yeah if the console version has it but the pc version doesn't, then yeah its likely because as you said, the perceived size of the audience for such a feature doesn't justify the costs to implement it.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
They dont want to do QA testing all combinations of 2 keyboards or 1 keyboard/1 pad...also pc games being cheaper they want you to gift to a friend than they getting nothing playing all coop modes "for free"

OP
OP
PeterVenkman

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
To be sure I understand that implementing any feature takes time and resources, even if something like splitscreen already exists in one version of the game. I get that. It's just a frustrating feature to cut given how fun those features are and how great they could be on PC natively.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
They dont want to do QA testing all combinations of 2 keyboards or 1 keyboard/1 pad...also pc games being cheaper they want you to gift to a friend than they getting nothing playing all coop modes "for free"

Doesn't really explain the Gears 5 situation where you can do exactly those kinds of control setups in campaign, but Horde has no splitscreen.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
And with ultra wide screens on PC it would also work better on these types of setups.

The lego games support this and it's soooo much better playing with my son on an ultra wqide splitscreen than on a 16:9 screen.

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want split screen. Let me play multiplayer with one PC and 2 screens. That's the evolution of split screen.

OP
OP
PeterVenkman

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want split screen. Let me play multiplayer with one PC and 2 screens. That's the evolution of split screen.

That's literally what we're talking about. I mentioned that in the OP. And here:

And with ultra wide screens on PC it would also work better on these types of setups.

The lego games support this and it's soooo much better playing with my son on an ultra wqide splitscreen than on a 16:9 screen.

This is the exact kind of benefit splitscreen would have on better hardware. Would love for gears or Borderlands to take this approach.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I play a lot of games couch co op style. Sure, I've got plenty of indie PC games that fit my needs; recently, For the King has been great for myself and two friends. But I just don't understand the lack of AAA splitscreen support. It's disappointing that two huge games - Gears 5 and Borderlands 3 - both have splitscreen on console but inexplicably lack the option on PC.

Gears 5 is baffling because it has some splitscreen, just not everything. In fact, while you can play the campaign, incredibly replayable modes like Horde are purposefully omitted. Cool.

That is annoying, but PC has some other advantages when it comes to split-screen: It uses the entire screen in two player campaign, where the Xbox version has large bars at the sides. It can also run at better settings and higher framerates, with my 4 year old GTX 980Ti being able to hit almost locked 60fps, as long as I lower settings and stick to 1080p. There are some quite major rendering bugs, that aren't in the console version, as I mentioned in the Digital Foundry Gears 5 thread, which hopefully will be fixed, but console version has its own problems, with the game on the original Xbox One being almost unplayable in campaign split-screen, when I tried it, due to the audio cutting out constantly.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Yeah there is absolutely no reason for split screen to not be on PC when it will run SOOOOO much better there.
Yeah how cool does 4 x pixel perfect 1080 splitscreen look on a 4k tv?!
Oh yeah. I have no idea. I've never seen it.

Baffling continuation by PC devs of the old 'PC players don't want couch MP' crap from yonks ago.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's literally what we're talking about. I mentioned that in the OP. And here:

This is the exact kind of benefit splitscreen would have on better hardware. Would love for gears or Borderlands to take this approach.

And particular on those lego game,s split screne performance on consoles tends to be abysmal. I made a thread about this a while back, but it's buttery smooth on PC (most of the time, the lego games cna be buggy at times).

Psyrgery

Nov 7, 2017
I cannot understand how a feature that already exists on the console version of a game cannot be implemented on the pc version as well

OP
OP
PeterVenkman

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
That is annoying, but PC has some other advantages when it comes to split-screen: It uses the entire screen in two player campaign, where the Xbox version has large bars at the sides. It can also run at better settings and higher framerates, with my 4 year old GTX 980Ti being able to hit almost locked 60fps, as long as I lower settings and stick to 1080p. There are some quite major rendering bugs, that aren't in the console version, as I mentioned in the Digital Foundry Gears 5 thread, which hopefully will be fixed, but console version has its own problems, with the game on the original Xbox One being almost unplayable in campaign split-screen, when I tried it, due to the audio cutting out constantly.

That's why especially in Gears 5 I'd love for splitscreen to be featured in every mode like on consoles. Utilizing better hardware to make splitscreen run at higher framerates, take up an additional screen etc is exactly the kind of experience i'm looking for on my living room PC.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
I would kill for a game that did vertical-orientation split-screen (rotate your 1440p monitor into vertical orientation, get two 1280x720 screens). It boggles the mind that it hasn't been tried yet.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Better yet, PC games should also offer Split-monitor options. I'm still surprised this isn't a thing.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I imagine the variety on input options, resolutions, and variables make this super hard so many don't bother.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I never understood why Game Devs go the length to remove splitscreen as a feature specifically for PC games when they already have it working, especially since a ton of PC gamers play their games from their couch. Makes 0 sense to me.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
even console games rarely have it nowadays. the answer is probably "two people playing one copy of a game is lost profit"....

you have games that are built from the ground up for coop like the last wolfenstein and it doesnt have split screen. hell, freaking racing games don't have split screen anymore most of the time.

and the worst part is, people simply don't seem to care. it's sad, pretty much all of my best gaming memories are from local multiplayer.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It's seriously annoying. Forza Motorsport being another prime example where split-screen only exist on console.

Imagine playing it split-screen (maybe even four player) with AI racers and every weather condition. That's something PC could have offered! It could have been awesome.

OP
OP
PeterVenkman

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
It's seriously annoying. Forza Motorsport being another prime example where split-screen only exist on console.

Imagine playing it split-screen (maybe even four player) with AI racers and every weather condition. That's something PC could have offered! It could have been awesome.

damn it's especially egregious when splitscreen is missing on racing games.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is another reason I'm super excited about Stadia. The implementation of splitscreen is basically taken out of the developers hands. You can literally have 2 full game instances split onto one screen.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if developers fear people sharing a splitscreen game with remote desktop.

Gears 5's audio, on PC, doesn't work with headsets plugged into an XB1 controller. An Xbox published game. I feel like QA was the last thing on their minds.

OP
OP
PeterVenkman

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
This is another reason I'm super excited about Stadia. The implementation of splitscreen is basically taken out of the developers hands. You can literally have 2 full game instances split onto one screen.

Aside from the streaming component, this is exactly how you brute force pc split screen for borderlands 2

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Sounds like a lot of workaround for something that should be a setting
That's basically PC gaming in a nutshell.

Yudoken actually pulled it off with Gears 5.
If you happen to have two gpus and a good cpu (at least something like mine i7 4790k) and 16gb ram you can run on two seperate setups quite easily with Aster multiseat. Did a Gears 5 lan and we had a great time. For tonight I reduced my own settings (normally 1440p high but for today I reduced it to medium because we just wanted to start quickly) but it was quite easy to pull off.
The CPU usage was quite high at around 100% but there weren't noticable or annoying hiccups and the games ran perfectly fine.
We played online without having a noticable handicap and we had a great time. Definitly a game I will play again here.
Next time I will step it my settings to high because it ran cool enough on the 1080 (the Windforce GTX 770 is above the Strix 1080 which was heating up quickly but it was safe around under 90c).

uxiXt0Z.jpg

rXyo9Ec.png

OP
OP
PeterVenkman

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
I've tried to do that in the past, but was thwarted by licensing weirdness.

i never had licensing issues, but i did have a hell of a time getting whatever screen software I was using to put player 1 and player 2's screens in exactly the correct spot. I guess I must have been really desperate for co-op at the time; hopefully something easier comes out for BL3.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for this thread. This is something I've wanted since forever. Almost no games support this and it absolutely baffles me. The one 0atformt that could arguably handle split screen the best consistently gets shafted for this feature.

Even Halo, the game that pretty much solidified split screen gaming for generations, won't support split screen on PC when MCC comes out. Like... why?

Regarding devs not perceiving it to be a wanted/popular feature... it's really a chicken or egg scenario. What game even has it? Basically none. Where's the real world data?

OP
OP
PeterVenkman

PeterVenkman

Oct 25, 2017
Even Halo, the game that pretty much solidified split screen gaming for generations, won't support split screen on PC when MCC comes out. Like... why?

You're kidding me - I just assumed it would have it. Pc hardware would help split screen performance so much, and splitscreen is integral to the game; I had no idea they didn't intend to include it.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
halo will probably always have splitscreen in every mode going forward since people got so on their case about it in the previous game. (which didn't have it in any mode)

would be cool for games to get all focused up on split screen and 60fps 4k right out of the gate, so the obvious difficulties with that can be surmounted as quickly as possible.

I don't play games with anyone I know in real life, so these features don't mean too much to me. I do remember doing it when i was younger of course, especially with halo. makes sense that people care about it, was fun.

having a good experience for people who just want to play online is more important imo, but that doesn't erase the value of local support.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Larian put a splitscreen mode into the PC version of Original Sin 2 because of course they did.

edit: And OS1!