• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I made the mistake of soul transferring right before the last key dungeon. Then I didn't want to grind. Thankfully, my few still leveld units, and the charmer pact have been carrying me through pretty well. Of, and amazing equipment. That helps a lot too, since states feel so small in this game.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
So, after 110 hours, I'm in
Fallen Tanis, just before the big fight with the witch
thinking I am in the end game stage, and I am having a look at all pacts possible to prepare myself (in the Google doc for the game), and see lots of locations i never heard about... Is this indeed not the end game (????), or are the locations I saw
Azu this, Azu that, etc
post game content?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
So, after 110 hours, I'm in
Fallen Tanis, just before the big fight with the witch
thinking I am in the end game stage, and I am having a look at all pacts possible to prepare myself (in the Google doc for the game), and see lots of locations i never heard about... Is this indeed not the end game (????), or are the locations I saw
Azu this, Azu that, etc
post game content?

That's the post-game dungeon, yes.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
That's the post-game dungeon, yes.
Ah, I'm relieved. If I had nothing I really wanted to play I would gladly continue with the post game content as well, I do enjoy the game, but I already spent over 100 hours and I really really want to start soon Diablo 3 (and Civ 6, and VC4...), so was worried.

Thanks!

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Got my second black page (first from campanula, now from amadeus), and have yet to go to the final dungeon. Guess I'll go straight to the true ending/postgame and then youtube the normal ending.

And I just noticed that the White Rose pact has heals. I've been running it with two attackers since forever so never bothered with the spells they couldn't cast ¦3

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I'm relieved. If I had nothing I really wanted to play I would gladly continue with the post game content as well, I do enjoy the game, but I already spent over 100 hours and I really really want to start soon Diablo 3 (and Civ 6, and VC4...), so was worried.

Thanks!

Over 100? That's a lot. Think it took me around half of that to platinum the game. If you ever feel like returning to the game, just have in mind that the finishing the post game dungeon leads to the true ending.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Over 100? That's a lot. Think it took me around half of that to platinum the game. If you ever feel like returning to the game, just have in mind that the finishing the post game dungeon leads to the true ending.
Between my being a completionist that absolutely has to fill in each and every black square in all maps, not reading up on what ways are more efficient to advance and so having to concoct puppets and grind some pacts very late in the game, and being a slow player to boot, over 100 is easy to achieve :-). True ending, hmm... But Diablo 3 is calling me... I need to beat you know who first (first time I tried I got trampled), then I'll decide.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Between my being a completionist that absolutely has to fill in each and every black square in all maps, not reading up on what ways are more efficient to advance and so having to concoct puppets and grind some pacts very late in the game, and being a slow player to boot, over 100 is easy to achieve :-). True ending, hmm... But Diablo 3 is calling me... I need to beat you know who first (first time I tried I got trampled), then I'll decide.

There's a pact that can weaken the boss. Can always put the game on easy too. That's what I did for the post-game bosses because the pacts I needed refused to drop.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
There's a pact that can weaken the boss. Can always put the game on easy too. That's what I did for the post-game bosses because the pacts I needed refused to drop.
I can't for the life of me get a charmer pact to drop (I don't think it's the pact you refer to though, its just a pact many seem to love). I visited the proper place (
8th floor of each of the 3 towers...
) on several occasions and killed those who are supposed to drop it (and anyone else there) lots of times, including any bosses. yet nothing. I hope I can get by without it, I'm actually on easy now (have been for some time now as I saw at some point where I was getting killed again and again the game will take me forever otherwise), it's easier but still not THAT easy :-).
Now that I think about it, maybe it's not dropping because I'm on easy now? But I got all other pacts I know of and wanted (e.g. white rose) just fine even after changing to easy... Still, I wonder.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Well, White Rose drops from a fixed chest afaik, so if you explore everything it's guaranteed.

I've been grinding levels on Umbra top (at Fur Fur's floor) and only got Charmer to drop once. Having high mana raises the drop rate, so instead of making many short visits try to stay there slaying Sacras for a while.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I was trying hard to get into this but I just found it abit too limited in terms of customisation in the start. Question fo all, do you actually get the ability to assign moves to your puppets and build up skill trees ala Etrian Odyssey and I'm just not seeing it or if it all pretty much you get what you get?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I can't for the life of me get a charmer pact to drop (I don't think it's the pact you refer to though, its just a pact many seem to love). I visited the proper place (
8th floor of each of the 3 towers...
) on several occasions and killed those who are supposed to drop it (and anyone else there) lots of times, including any bosses. yet nothing. I hope I can get by without it, I'm actually on easy now (have been for some time now as I saw at some point where I was getting killed again and again the game will take me forever otherwise), it's easier but still not THAT easy :-).
Now that I think about it, maybe it's not dropping because I'm on easy now? But I got all other pacts I know of and wanted (e.g. white rose) just fine even after changing to easy... Still, I wonder.

No idea how, but I managed to get the charmer pact by sheer luck. Wasn't even aiming for it. On the other hand, I ran into the same issue as you - farming pacts that simply refused to drop. In the end, I gave up on them, upgraded my gear as much as possible and, with some luck, managed to complete the game.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I was trying hard to get into this but I just found it abit too limited in terms of customisation in the start. Question fo all, do you actually get the ability to assign moves to your puppets and build up skill trees ala Etrian Odyssey and I'm just not seeing it or if it all pretty much you get what you get?

Never played EO, but each class has a set of passive abilities (which you can check when you create a new unit - there's two fixed passives and you choose the third one, every 8 levels you get a new one). As for spells/skills/moves, they come from the pacts where your units are placed. You can check the skills each pact has when trying to equip them at the Brigade Formation menu (use the right analog to change display pages as needed).

If you don't mind checking things ahead: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...LjSZhmlDvbbu9zTXUDq13QOniTWPQBBmB7dS/pubhtml#
The pacts tabs list all pacts, their buffs and donums (spells). Then there's a skills tab listing the passives for all classes. Later on (postgame most likely) you can reincarnate your characters à la Disgaea and have passives from different classes to make some strong builds. Didn't get to this point personally though.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Never played EO, but each class has a set of passive abilities (which you can check when you create a new unit - there's two fixed passives and you choose the third one, every 8 levels you get a new one). As for spells/skills/moves, they come from the pacts where your units are placed. You can check the skills each pact has when trying to equip them at the Brigade Formation menu (use the right analog to change display pages as needed).

If you don't mind checking things ahead: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...LjSZhmlDvbbu9zTXUDq13QOniTWPQBBmB7dS/pubhtml#
The pacts tabs list all pacts, their buffs and donums (spells). Then there's a skills tab listing the passives for all classes. Later on (postgame most likely) you can reincarnate your characters à la Disgaea and have passives from different classes to make some strong builds. Didn't get to this point personally though.

Thanks for this docs list. It makes life a lot easier.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I'm giving up. I'm over 115 hours in, in "gentle world" (ha! the irony) mode again, getting trounced by the final boss (who from what I now read apparently is not even the hardest if you want the true ending). I already have the Grand Sage's Pact and 2 White Rose pacts, and so my conclusion from reading up is that in order to even beat THIS boss, I will need to grind endlessly (lots of soul transfers etc). Life is too short and my backlog is huge, Diablo 3 here I come. It was fun though.

Last edited:

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm giving up. I'm over 115 hours in, in "gentle world" (ha! the irony) mode again, getting trounced by the final boss (who from what I now read apparently is not even the hardest if you want the true ending). I already have the Grand Sage's Pact and 2 White Rose pacts, and so my conclusion from reading up is that in order to even beat THIS boss, I will need to grind endlessly (lots of soul transfers etc). Life is too short and my backlog is huge, Diablo 3 here I come. It was fun though.

I only had one white rose pact, but I didn't need any soul transfers and my grinding was minimal. I suppose it depends on your party composition.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I only had one white rose pact, but I didn't need any soul transfers and my grinding was minimal. I suppose it depends on your party composition.
I'm obviously doing something wrong, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. Could be party composition, but that means I will need to create new puppets and grind and grind and grind, which is something I no longer have time for after 115 hours. Could be I didn't use synthesis properly and wasted legendary items on what possibly ended up less than optimal synthesis results because maybe I don't understand synthesis behavior well enough, but if that's the case that's water under the bridge as well.

I do have a question about certain pages.
I have 3 black pages. From what I read you need 6 black pages in the fight with the witch to get the "true ending". Are the rest of the pages attainable now at the stage I'm in, or do I absolutely have to do a NG+ in order to have 6 black pages?

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm obviously doing something wrong, but for the life of me I don't know what it is. Could be party composition, but that means I will need to create new puppets and grind and grind and grind, which is something I no longer have time for after 115 hours. Could be I didn't use synthesis properly and wasted legendary items on what possibly ended up less than optimal synthesis results because maybe I don't understand synthesis behavior well enough, but if that's the case that's water under the bridge as well.

I do have a question about certain pages.
I have 3 black pages. From what I read you need 6 black pages in the fight with the witch to get the "true ending". Are the rest of the pages attainable now at the stage I'm in, or do I absolutely have to do a NG+ in order to have 6 black pages?

They're all obtainable.

What I did was only have one pact casting magic unless I needed healing, tanks defending and the rest just melee attacking. Getting a few gore hits will be a tremendous help for any boss. That's why I had two GC puppets and I kept buffing them as much as possible.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
They're all obtainable.

What I did was only have one pact casting magic unless I needed healing, tanks defending and the rest just melee attacking. Getting a few gore hits will be a tremendous help for any boss. That's why I had two GC puppets and I kept buffing them as much as possible.
Thanks! Hmm... I might stay a while longer, I hate quitting just before the end. By "buffing" the GC do you mean supplying them with the strongest weapons and increasing their stats making them stronger or something else? I only have one GC, maybe I need just to add one and rely less on magic during the fight.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! Hmm... I might stay a while longer, I hate quitting just before the end. By "buffing" the GC do you mean supplying them with the strongest weapons and increasing their stats making them stronger or something else? I only have one GC, maybe I need just to add one and rely less on magic during the fight.

Also using Reinforcement points to buff their attack power. A single gore attack can hit for 100k damage. Other classes can also score gore hits, but GC is the only class with a passive that increases their odds.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of picking this and Ys VIII up in the humble bundle sale, is this a Good One of These? Or is there another recent release (last ~2 years) that's more loved? I pretty much only have the Experience Inc and SMT games and like them well enough.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
I played that part on handheld mode and without phones while the missus was watching something on the TV, so I couldn't quite hear whatever sfx they used on that scene.
Still gave me shivers.

And two lack pages to go, but will go back for those when I reach the final boss.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Three defeats against Umbra black page boss, always when blinking red.
It's funny how the tanks can block everything for ages, but then the boss just goes "ok so now I'll just delete this coven and screw your tanks".

And she drops a plan that helps against Amadeus superboss? He was like the second easiest lol.

(sorry for dp)

edit: swapped to easy and got the final black page~

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
so now i'm about six hours in, just got the three witch pacts, and the game keeps opening up more and more. still feels like i'm in an extended tutorial, which is giving me xenoblade 2 flashbacks. really enjoying it though - it's my first drpg and what really wanted to make me try it was the play on the systems and the strength of the story and voice acting.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
i'm liking a lot about this game, but the amadeus dungeon was a pain in the ass.

not sure if i'm doing the right thing and i haven't resorted to a gentler world - but what's a good soul clarity for high-level characters in endgame?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
welp, i'm into 'postgame' now and it's finally started to test my patience. at this stage i'm fairly strong, but i had to go to a gentler world. just trying to see things through to the end now after beating the main game normally.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
finished the postgame at 66 hours, and beat all the superbosses.

i really appreciated a lot of what this game did. banking exp, soul transfers, breaking down walls, and using reinforcement points definitely gave it that 'i'm breaking the game' feel that disgaea has, and while the story seems to be going for dark humor early on, it ends up being serious without coming across as too edgy (although it does come down with a pretty bad case of 'kill your gays').

the postgame unfortunately does not live up to the standards of the main game. i don't think we needed to see what happens to
mezzaluca in the original future since enough was stated about her goals and intentions that the conclusion of her fate in that timeline seemed fairly straightforward. plus the budget had seemingly run out with only zorok being the only new character and no additional backgrounds were drawn. it just came across as being pretty cheap compared to everything else in the game. however it does seem that mezzaluca's kid will be the star of the next labyrinth game.

as long as the same team is involved, i'm interested in the next one. hopefully it doesn't take 2 years for a localization.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Just finished it. The timer on the Switch version was glitched until last month, so it's clocking over 400h, but my activity log shows up 70+. All my physical attack units went through aster knight, mad raptor and shinobushi for passives. Some went for gothic coppelia and/or demon reaper too. And my dancer went through all of those. My mages only went to aster knight and back for Stubborness. All those soul transfers were made in the postgame, though, after getting a 666 pact.
I did use maps for some dungeons because holy shit. The area leading to the Campanula black page without a map to know which walls to break would be just too much.

Final boss was beaten with only one of my tanks and my dancer with stupid evasion standing.
For the postgame secret boss, after losing against it once I got lazy and switched to gentle word to down it, ha.
Was it a cameo from another game? Didn't recognize it.

Still have all the postgame apprentice notes to do, and I think there's as optional boss I didn't kill in Umbra. Never killed the mana over enemies too, but eh.

Really liked what NIS brought to the genre on their first (?) drpg. Soul transfer and xp banking is just so Disgaea, and wall-breaking was an interesting mechanic (until you found yourself without enough reinforce points to open up a mud exit). Gradually raising my numbers while getting new pacts was cool too, despite the hassle to equip everyone.
I found the story pretty engaging, and really liked the JP VAs (thought I'd get tired of Luca's but nope, her complainings and shrieks never got old).
I'm a sucker for Harada's work, so for better or worse (hint: the latter) I'm used to the lolis, but all the female mad raptor designs felt so wrong anatomically. Not like we see the portraits often, so yeah. The story characters were all great, so don't let two or three classes bother you.
Tenpei Sato is still amazing.

But some stuff didn't feel right with me:
  • Magic is dependant on the pacts you have, with no customization, and before you get your first white rose you don't have many options with heals+damage. So you either run two donum covens or resort to items. Also doesn't help that there are no DMP recovering items;
  • Mixed feelings on critical gore. It saves the day, then later ruins the day. Mostly ruins it. It's worse at the beginning when you're usually short on cash for repairs.
  • Non-magic classes have no attack skills or such. They have their passives which can do special things, like the mad raptors' Salvo, but using only normal attacks with them feel lame;
  • Switch version running worse when docked is just too amusing. Also the timer glitch was in the demo and took forever to be fixed;
  • The UI was made for a portable, so of course everything is desnecessarily huge on the TV. Oh well.
There might be more but I'll leave at that.

In the end, even though it didn't come over for the Vita, I'm really happy that it did come over, and that it happened on something I can play on the go even without internet (I'd totally resort to remote play it it was PS4 only).

Super late edit: after dedicating some time and getting zero caterpillar potatoes, I said "fuck it" and am officially done with the game.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Curious how this worked out for you. Were you able to keep track of what you needed to do? Because the gameplay looks great, but like Disgaea 5, the story mostly bugs me and I'm not at all interested in fan service.

outside of the first chapter, there really isn't any fanservice. the game kinda does a tone swerve and becomes a lot more serious as it goes on.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
'
for a japanese release, yes. if/when it comes stateside it'll probably be on ps4, switch, and steam though.
I sure hope so. Labyrinth of Refrain was a good, almost great, dungeon crawler RPG.

Yesterday I continued my playthrough and finally figured out that the Tractatus de Monstrum menu shows your objective; turns out I had already beaten the boss of the next area before I met the criteria for my objective. What awaited me was at least 10 cutscenes with Dronya and Luca before I could continue. I'm currently at the Umbra towers and exploring the map is just so satisfying, breaking walls is a great mechanic that I hope/expect returns.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Hope I'm doing the right thing (regarding save prompt after an ending).
I saved to a different slot, reloaded my save that triggered that ending (so if I now were to report back to Dronya I'd get the exact same ending again). And just tried to find ways to get up higher in the 3rd Umbra tower. Can reports change after you trigger new events?

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Hope I'm doing the right thing (regarding save prompt after an ending).
I saved to a different slot, reloaded my save that triggered that ending (so if I now were to report back to Dronya I'd get the exact same ending again). And just tried to find ways to get up higher in the 3rd Umbra tower. Can reports change after you trigger new events?

That's after a Dead End/Bad End, right? You need to load the new save that it required you to make for the story to progress, there's no way to avoid it.

Astraer

Gamer Guides
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So been here for three days now trying to get the Charmer Pacts to drop with no luck at all, is there anything else I can do to help me other than raising the mana higher?

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Not really. Just good old RNG. It's well worth it though, even if you stick with just one Chamer dancer coven (that's what I did - I had like 3 pacts, but not enough bells to equip more than one dancer).

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Just started Labyrinth of Refrain, would I be correct in thinking that your Pacts are essentially your 'characters' with the puppets adding passive skills and stats? Trying to get a grip on what the game expects you to do before I screw myself over. There doesn't seem to be many guides for this game.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Just started Labyrinth of Refrain, would I be correct in thinking that your Pacts are essentially your 'characters' with the puppets adding passive skills and stats? Trying to get a grip on what the game expects you to do before I screw myself over. There doesn't seem to be many guides for this game.

Basically yeah, the pacts are the party members, or rather the class of your party members, and the actual party memebers occupy the slots in those pacts to allow them to work.

As long as you make sure your puppets play nice in those pacts, and work together in them, like having a pact that uses magic have all members have high magic (since magic uses the statistical average of all pact members, it's better to have less in the same pact if you decide to use it for damage dealing magic), then you are golden!

It's a lot easier to outfit and improve your puppets then it seems, just take your time and equip them accordingly as the game progresses.

You will eventually get many different, more powerful and unique pacts as you go along, but as long as you try to have a balanced party of puppets, you will be prepared to move them around into various pacts as time goes on.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
In around the 5th dungeon now and suspect I may hit a wall soon. I've been relying on a single pact
(peco's pact)
for most of my heavy damage output. It seems tricky to increase physical damage output but my physical attack based classes from the gear I'm getting, I suppose your expected to heavily abuse the item systhesis for strengthing weapons from here on out?

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Near the final boss now and I'm wondering if the post game is worth trying to beat all the optional bosses for? Beat the first one easily enough, but the rest seem like I'd need some serious leveling and changes in strategy to beat.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Near the final boss now and I'm wondering if the post game is worth trying to beat all the optional bosses for? Beat the first one easily enough, but the rest seem like I'd need some serious leveling and changes in strategy to beat.

to me the story feels pretty complete with the final boss. it does what it was supposed to do and gets out of there leaving you with the emotions it wanted you to have.

the post-game stuff is another 10+ hours of gameplay, but i get major xenogears-final-disc or eva-eps-25&26 vibes from it. the just kinda ran out of budget and not every character is developed enough for the story beats around them to have much significance. and ultimately it doesn't really affect the main ending of the game, bur it's there for people who wonder about the world that put the game's story into motion.

i was okay with it because the gameplay was still as solid as ever. i think the hardest fight in the game for me was against metallia though.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
to me the story feels pretty complete with the final boss. it does what it was supposed to do and gets out of there leaving you with the emotions it wanted you to have.

the post-game stuff is another 10+ hours of gameplay, but i get major xenogears-final-disc or eva-eps-25&26 vibes from it. the just kinda ran out of budget and not every character is developed enough for the story beats around them to have much significance. and ultimately it doesn't really affect the main ending of the game, bur it's there for people who wonder about the world that put the game's story into motion.

i was okay with it because the gameplay was still as solid as ever. i think the hardest fight in the game for me was against metallia though.
So its mostly world building fluff as opposed to a continuation of the story?

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Hah, I didn't finish hunny knight, so I thought I missed something before googling it.

Yeah, I believe I reduced the game's difficulty for that fight after almost beating it twice.