• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Have never played this kind of "DRPG" with the first person view. Looks interesting.
And is that the Disgaea character design?

Labyrinth of Refrain and it's sequel Galleria are developed by NIS, and has a lot of overlap with the Disgaea dev team.

There is a lot of early PC RPGs that have this play style such as The Bard's Tale series and the Wizardry series, Might and Magic too. Then there is stuff like Vaporum, Legend of Grimrock, Operencia: The Stolen Sun, Dungeon Master, and Eye of Beholder. Interestingly enough the original Elder Scrolls: Arena, as in the very first game in the series. Also is a DRPG too before it transitioned into the Open World formula it has.

Shining in the Darkness on the Genesis / Mega Drive and Shining in the Holy Ark on Saturn also are DRPGs.

The entire Etrian Odyssey series on both the DS and 3DS and spin-off of that formula being the Persona Q 1 and 2 games too.

One of the most famous examples is probably mainline Shin Megami Tensei series also follows the first person DRPG template as well. A remaster of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne is getting released soon, also Shin Megami Tensei V which was announced for the Switch back in 2017 might possibly, eventually, maybe, will come out in the next year or so.

A lot of Japanese developed titles also adhere this formula too. Here is a small list. Demon Gaze 1 and 2, The Elminage series, Mary Skelter, Stranger of Sword City and it's upcoming sequel Saviors of Sapphire Wings, Operation Abyss, The Lost Child, and Zero Zanki. Most of these were released on the Vita, but there also ports available on Steam, PS4, and Switch.

Suffice to say it's probably one of my favorite genres.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I bought Galleria a few weeks ago now, since I really like the first.
I've not played in a week I think because I'm a bit more focused on FFXIV, but I arrived at a boss that was a bit more sturdy than the others and failed the first time so I need to re-evaluate my party before going back for round 2.

For those in the know, it's the stone statue.

Oct 27, 2017
Indirectly related, I finally started Labyrinth of Refrain and once you're hooked, you're hooked. It's strange because while I greatly enjoy Persona Q I do not like Etrian Odyssey.

I really enjoy Refrain's labyrinth traversal and all the systems in it (well it's a Nippon Ichi game after all)

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've not played in a week I think because I'm a bit more focused on FFXIV, but I arrived at a boss that was a bit more sturdy than the others and failed the first time so I need to re-evaluate my party before going back for round 2.

You're still fairly early on, fwiw. It took me 126 hours to get the true ending; 100 to reach the normal one. Later bosses get fairly crazy - the final bosses in particular really tax your party composition, to be frank.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Refrain is actually still on my wishlist. I really enjoy Wizardry/Etrian Odyssey style dungeon crawls so I want to get this series so badly.

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, was Galleria already out? O_o

I need to get check on PSN if they have it...

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
I'm playing the first game now and it's fantastic

but

I really can't stand the weird pervy stuff. It's not even that I have an aversion to weird pervy anime stuff, it's just that some of the stuff in this game is obnoxiously non consentual as well. I really really hate that stuff and I think even if the dungeon crawler genre weren't niche, this sort of content almost guarantees these games will stay in obscurity in the west.

unfortunate cause as I say, it's otherwise a really really great dungeon crawler.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm playing the first game now and it's fantastic

but

I really can't stand the weird pervy stuff. It's not even that I have an aversion to weird pervy anime stuff, it's just that some of the stuff in this game is obnoxiously non consentual as well. I really really hate that stuff and I think even if the dungeon crawler genre weren't niche, this sort of content almost guarantees these games will stay in obscurity in the west.

unfortunate cause as I say, it's otherwise a really really great dungeon crawler.

Labyrinth of Galleria is much better about this stuff. It still has serious subject matter, but it *treats* it seriously - they're not the butt of jokes or anything. I'm well aware that Refrain has its issues with that sort of stuff.

We_care_a_lot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Summerside PEI
Labyrinth of Galleria is much better about this stuff. It still has serious subject matter, but it *treats* it seriously - they're not the butt of jokes or anything. I'm well aware that Refrain has its issues with that sort of stuff.
good to know, if it ever comes out here I'm going to want to pick it up for sure. I'm only a casual player of these games but i'm a big fan of this one

parasite2

Oct 22, 2020
It's 2022 already

well-waiting.gif

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I want to try out these games but almost all DRPG style games lose me somewhere within the first 1-2 "dungeons."

It just gets so incredibly dull and boring. What do these two do different besides apparently having some amazing story/spoiler beats that I refuse to look at?

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I want to try out these games but almost all DRPG style games lose me somewhere within the first 1-2 "dungeons."

It just gets so incredibly dull and boring. What do these two do different besides apparently having some amazing story/spoiler beats that I refuse to look at?

i peaced out on strange journey fairly early. i was for it for all of 30-45 minutes. and that was my only experience with the genre until refrain.

not sure why. but there's something just so damn old and boring about moving forward one grid space at a time that put me out of ever wanting to try out anything in the genre. similar to disgaea, it was a mix of the story and characters, plus the gameplay systems that grabbed me.

speaking purely to refrain, and not to any other dungeon rpg (because i don't have any other context here), the things that hooked me were the customization and the ability to bust through walls. you build your squadmates, give them names and personalities, equip them with items, and then put them together in little teams. the teams each fill a slot that would normally go to a party member in any other game. so just think that instead of having tifa or cloud in final fantasy vii ready for battle, you have multiple people in their place instead. overall you can have up to forty people at once. there's also a reincarnation system and an alchemy/item-crafting system.

you can also bust through walls. part of the fun here is feeling like you're cheesing the game in a way. in disgaea, you can toss party members across the map into the thick of battle instead of having to move 3-5 spaces one turn at a time. this feels similar in that you're getting away with something you shouldn't by getting around the usual restrictions of a map.

there's also a risk-reward in the roguelite elements. the longer you stay in a dungeon, the likelier you get some better loot. but it wears on your team more. sometimes the mad dashes to the exit can be thrilling. other times it's just better to call everyone back and leave your loot behind and fight another day.

each major labyrinth can be thought of as a world in a platformer, with each floor acting as a new level. each world is essentially its own dimension. each one has its own story as you wander around. one world has you as a giant among gnomes. another has you at the size of insects. outside the labyrinths, the story progresses with the main characters as a sort of reward for your progress. this is the best part with regards to the game's writing/setting.

there's a demo on eshop if you just want to give it a try. the game's on sale semi-frequently too so maybe wait a bit if the demo grabs you.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i peaced out on strange journey fairly early. i was for it for all of 30-45 minutes. and that was my only experience with the genre until refrain.

not sure why. but there's something just so damn old and boring about moving forward one grid space at a time that put me out of ever wanting to try out anything in the genre. similar to disgaea, it was a mix of the story and characters, plus the gameplay systems that grabbed me.

speaking purely to refrain, and not to any other dungeon rpg (because i don't have any other context here), the things that hooked me were the customization and the ability to bust through walls. you build your squadmates, give them names and personalities, equip them with items, and then put them together in little teams. the teams each fill a slot that would normally go to a party member in any other game. so just think that instead of having tifa or cloud in final fantasy vii ready for battle, you have multiple people in their place instead. overall you can have up to forty people at once. there's also a reincarnation system and an alchemy/item-crafting system.

you can also bust through walls. part of the fun here is feeling like you're cheesing the game in a way. in disgaea, you can toss party members across the map into the thick of battle instead of having to move 3-5 spaces one turn at a time. this feels similar in that you're getting away with something you shouldn't by getting around the usual restrictions of a map.

there's also a risk-reward in the roguelite elements. the longer you stay in a dungeon, the likelier you get some better loot. but it wears on your team more. sometimes the mad dashes to the exit can be thrilling. other times it's just better to call everyone back and leave your loot behind and fight another day.

each major labyrinth can be thought of as a world in a platformer, with each floor acting as a new level. each world is essentially its own dimension. each one has its own story as you wander around. one world has you as a giant among gnomes. another has you at the size of insects. outside the labyrinths, the story progresses with the main characters as a sort of reward for your progress. this is the best part with regards to the game's writing/setting.

there's a demo on eshop if you just want to give it a try. the game's on sale semi-frequently too so maybe wait a bit if the demo grabs you.
Have they announced localization for the sequel yet?

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
It's a NIS developed game. Who else was going to localize in the first place?

It's not like Labyrinth of Refrain had a bad localization to begin with anyways.

I'm aware, that's why I said it'll be NISA for sure. It's just massively disappointing.

And I can think of at least one instance of a poorly translated line in Refrain that seems fine in a vacuum but it's likely to come back to bite them in Galleria.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware, that's why I said it'll be NISA for sure. It's just massively disappointing.

And I can think of at least one instance of a poorly translated line in Refrain that seems fine in a vacuum but it's likely to come back to bite them in Galleria.

i have no idea what you're talking about but you're right: they should start again from scratch. except this time, don't embarrass themselves.

Scott Lufkin

Dec 7, 2017
Was looking for something to play on the Switch and this thread pointed me to Labyrinth of Refrain so I'm pulling the demo down now, thanks for putting this on my radar.

What is a DRPG? Dungeon RPG?

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking for something to play on the Switch and this thread pointed me to Labyrinth of Refrain so I'm pulling the demo down now, thanks for putting this on my radar.

What is a DRPG? Dungeon RPG?
They're those RPG's where gameplay is mostly inside dungeons. They're First Person and you move in tiles on the map.

Kinda like when you're inside dungeons on Phantasy Star on the Master System

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California