• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
If you've been following Famitsu sales over the last few weeks, you probably know that Labyrinth of Galleria - the currently Japan-only sequel to 2016's (2018 in the west) Labyrinth of Refrain has been more than a bit of a bomb. It barely charted on PS4 it's FW, before falling off entirely. The Vita version, which actually got a physical release at the tail-end of 2020, didn't even chart.

I'll be blunt - It's probably the most fascinating game I've played all year, and I might end up calling it my GOTY.

Labyrinth of Refrain was already a very strong DRPG, and one of my favorite games I played in 2018. It had a very strong story, especially for a DRPG, with a sort of nuance that I honestly never had expected out of NIS. To say why that is the case is sadly to spoil the whole surprise of it all, but I'm sure folks that have played Refrain understand what I mean when I say that Galleria had some massive shoes to fill, in that regard.

As far as gameplay goes, while Refrain wasn't exactly the deepest DRPG when it came to exploration, it did offer a variety of unique features to the genre, and overall felt like a more than solid first attempt at one by a developer that had never made a DRPG before. The reinforcement system, and the way that you could use RF points to accomplish matters such as shielding your presence from enemies, breaking down certain walls, and more meant that what was on offer still felt very engaging to explore these dungeons. Refrain in particular did what I would say was an especially admirable job making each dungeon feel unique, and the 6 bosses that you needed to kill in order to unlock the game's true ending postgame were all a joy to discover and fight.

The Coven system is definitely the most unique aspect of the game as a whole - instead of slotting units into your party directly, you would slot pacts into each of the 5 party slots - pacts would have their own attributes, a maximum supported number of attacking and supporting units (up to 8), with their own equipped skills, party member requirements, and more. It was a very deep system, and it meant that you could have up to 40 party members at any given time - each party member themselves requiring you to select their stance, growth rate, and more.

At the end of the day it was a fantastic DRPG that brought a lot to the table. Like many other DRPGs I'd say most non-boss encounters became cakewalks over time, but that's by no means a rare issue for the genre, and the variety of mini-bosses scattered across each dungeon more than made up for matters, in my opinion.

...in almost every way, Galleria is a massive step up from Refrain, building upon the vast majority of its ideas, and adding its own.

First off - the story. While it might sound weird to say this after praising Refrain's story so much earlier, it was definitely an abrasive experience, to put it mildly. The relationship between Dronya and Luca wasn't exactly great for most of the story, and while I'd say the game does ultimately stick the landing here, it takes a while for players to really grow any attachment to them. Additionally, you, the Player Character - the Tractatus de Monstrum - hardly factors into the plot, to the point you'd be forgiven for forgetting that the little book is even technically a character for most of it.

Galleria's dynamic between Eureka and Madame Malta is immediately more palpable, and while there are still abrasive moments here and there, I'd argue that the game still handles these scenes with more delicacy versus some similar scenes in Refrain. The player character - the Wandering Soul - now plays a much more active role in the story. There's a deliberate connection between you and Eureka, and the form you take is an adorable little one-eyed green blob, versus the unassuming book in the first game. Madame Malta teases Eureka, but unlike Dronya she's never truly nasty to her - and the relationship that they share for most of the game is actually pretty cute. Malta is an old coot, and more of the kind-yet-crotchety old witch archetype than the downright evil one that Dronya more closely represents.

Gameplay also has seen quite a few upgrades. First and foremost is the addition of the Liberation system - every Pact now has a built-in super skill that can be activated once a bar is completely filled. It could be an AOE attack that hits every enemy on the field, dealing huge Stun damage, it could be a counter-type move that works similar to Bide in Pokemon, or it could be a more traditional buff or debuff. There's a much larger variety of Facets this time around, too, including some adorable feline companions to add to your party!

As for dungeon-crawling, players now gain access to a variety of new moves. You can now dive underwater to explore while taking care to worry about your oxygen supply. You can shine a magical light or a dark light to reveal hidden items or clear illusions respectively. Some areas that can be revealed with the magical light allow you to jump long gaps, while others allow you to hop over walls of spikes. In addition to everything else, there are now cursed sections of the map where you must either leave them or find a quiet location to quite literally regain your sanity or else you'll take an increasing amount of damage as you continue to explore.

Although each dungeon felt more like it had it's own story and theme in Refrain - the name of the game in Galleria is much more about exploration. Each floor feels more open-ended, and you'll be looping up and down floors to progress forward more in the beginnings hours of Galleria than most of Refrain. It does sort of feel like NIS designed these dungeons with players already familiar with Refrain in mind, which might be a bit of a problem for newcomers, but at the end of the day they're a blast to explore - and there's even a bunch of optional magical curious for you to discover, 1 on each floor in addition to the main objective of the game - discovering the peculiar magical artifacts.

There's much more I'd like to talk about regarding both the story and the gameplay, but it revolves around spoilers that I think most folks should discover for themselves - here's some more information if you're ok being spoiled about story events 30+ hours into the game:

The first half of the game acts as mostly a standard DRPG, but with hints to a larger narrative waiting just under the surface. About halfway, maybe a little less, into the first half of the game you're introduced to another Witch - Natyl - that lacks any sort of home to go back to, and clearly has a bit of a haunted past. She and Eureka quickly grow attached to each other, and right as the two of them are finished with the job of collecting all of the magical artifacts, they find themselves targetted by a riot incited by a revolution within the kingdom. After a gruesome end for Eureka, if you fulfill certain requirements you reload your save data, and find yourself now in Natyl's employ in an entirely different world. Instead of the fantasy/medieval vibe that the first half gives off, instead, you've got a more Noir vibe going on. The hints of more going on behind the scenes with the plot balloon out of control. All of your items, equipment, and puppet soldiers are removed - and you're forced to start over from scratch with entirely new Facet variants that weren't available in Eureka's half of the story. Dungeons, too, see a drastic shift. Now the majority of them are randomly generated, like a roguelike/roguelite.

It's a bold decision, that strikes me as something akin to what Yoko Taro loves to do with his games and their narratives. I'm not finished with the game yet, and from all I have gathered from other impressions it's likely going to take me over 80 hours to see the end of the basegame, and over 100 to see the true ending - but everything I've played so far is a bold direction for the sequel to take. Clearly, both expanding upon the original game's ideas while not forcing themselves to be constrained to what Refrain was, or was trying to be.

Everything about this game feels like a paradox. The release platforms and release year, the ambition within the confines of the genre and story, and everything else. There are certain parts of the game that are a little disappointing so far - enemy variety isn't quite as good as Refrain had to offer, for one, and the increased emphasis on the story outside of the dungeons means that most of the dungeons lack the same narrative thread that the locales in Refrain offered - but it's still an incredibly bold title, and makes me very curious to see how folks will react to it whenever it makes it over to the west.

...Unfortunately, owing to both the size of the script and the unfortunate choice of release platforms, we likely won't see this game over in the west until early 2022 at the earliest. While I've been happy to play this on my Vita, clearly it wasn't the best choice of platform for the game in 2020, and it's more than a bit ironic that I'm playing the sequel to I game I had originally played on the Switch on the Vita.

I know it's going to be a while before most folks that enjoyed Refrain, or anyone really, will get to play this - but considering the sheer lack of import impressions, I felt like I had to say something about the game, so folks at least keep it on their radar for when it eventually gets localized. Above all else, Galleria is the type of experiment that deserves support. I love it when pre-established devs go outside of their comfort zone and tackle a project with all the ambition that they could muster. Playing Galleria you can tell how much love the team put into the project, how much they cared about both the game that they were creating, as well as the story that they're trying to tell. It'd be a shame if it ends up bombing here, too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Well I'm completely sold on it. Do you still recommend playing the first game?

As far as I can tell, the stories aren't connected, but Refrain is absolutely worth playing on its own, and like I mentioned - I feel like Galleria expects you to have played Refrain first, otherwise you're diving into the deep end a bit with dungeon exploration.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Okay, I might give this a shot then. I'll echo the above - should I play the first one?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to playing it someday. Just need to get round to the first game, though it's real cheap on the NISA EU store at ÂŁ8 so no real excuse not to get it.

SinOfHeart

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I absolutely loved Refrain (maybe I'm a little mixed on the post game stuff) but the main story part was amazing. I'm really glad this game finally came out, I just hope that they do still end up localizing it (I'm a little afraid because I feel like by the time it would release PS4 will be kind of dead (and there is no way it is coming out on Vita localized), maybe if it still works on PS5 they might still consider it). I feel like PC or Switch would have given it a better chance of being localized (but I imagine they'll have to port it to those, and who knows how long that will take, and if they think it will be worth it).

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I absolutely loved Refrain (maybe I'm a little mixed on the post game stuff) but the main story part was amazing. I'm really glad this game finally came out, I just hope that they do still end up localizing it (I'm a little afraid because I feel like by the time it would release Vita and PS4 will be kind of dead, maybe if it still works on PS5 they might still consider it). I feel like PC or Switch would have given it a better chance of being localized.

Vita version 100% won't come over, that's for sure. I'd imagine PS5 will because of back-compat, and we'll get a Switch+PC port for the west.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to eventually play this on Switch cuz you know the late port is coming at some point.

Great impressions, but god I cannot understand the logic behind ONLY PS4 and Vita at the end of 2020. Seriously.

Esp when Refrain was such a surprise success for them.

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Great impression. The comparison to Yoko Taro games never occurred me, but it's so accurately put.
The story is a slow burn for probably the first 40 to 50 hours, but beyond one certain moment I wish I can skip all dungeon crawling and see what is to happen next immediately. It ends up being one of the two games that give me truly strong emotional reaction (I paused a few times to digest what I just read, and I constantly tear up when two certain characters have conversations, though this one is for personal reasons).

It's definitely GOTY material, though I can foresee it won't be favored by the mainstream because of being niche and low budget.

Okay, I might give this a shot then. I'll echo the above - should I play the first one?
Play it. It's great and won't burn you out, since it will take long for the second one to get localized.
It should be very cheap now.

Last edited:

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
Thanks for the impressions OP! The improvements sound great!

I just hope NISA tweaks the UI when it comes over - Refrain kept the same proportions of the Vita UI, which felt too big even on handheld Switch.

Does it have cameos from other games? I learned after completing Refrain's endgame that there's a hunny knight one, but since I never finished that it went unnoticed.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
As someone who used to be really into NIS games during PS2/3/PSP era, it is a shame that I haven't touched Refrain yet. Physical Switch copy is $20 on Amazon, gotta order one soon.

I am already sad for Galleria and the series from your writeup OP, seems like some very passionate people in NIS are not getting the success they deserve from this game. Hopefully a good word of mouth will make it sell well in the west, and maybe a possible Switch port in Japan will also do it some justice

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm jonesing for a new DRPG; reading that this one is good isn't helping (already played Refrain).

For those who've played Galleria... apologies for opening this can of worms, but do they tone down the fan-service-y elements at all from the first game any? I could have done without it in Refrain.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Looking forward to this... eventually! Refrain as a game really grew on me, it's a VERY slow burn in a lot of areas, especially the story, but I really liked it by the end.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm jonesing for a new DRPG; reading that this one is good isn't helping (already played Refrain).

For those who've played Galleria... apologies for opening this can of worms, but do they tone down the fan-service-y elements at all from the first game any? I could have done without it in Refrain.

While the game does deal with mature subject matters, much like Refrain, I'd say that the fanservice is generally also more subdued..

...If you ignore some of the Facet art.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018

It's toned down, though there is one specific line that I have serious problem with.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Labyrinth of Refrain was my favorite 2020 game that wasn't released in 2020. I'm bummed that NISA won't do it before 2022, but at least we'll probably get more DRPGs (other than the ones already announced) until then.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I've been hearing very great things about Yomi wo Saku Hana, so stay tuned for my impressions for Yet Another Niche Import-Only DRPG™ in a few months, I guess!

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Bought Refrain for Switch when it came out but never really got around to it. I think you just convinced me!

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I just hope that when NISA brings it over it hops onto the Switch. Made no sense it wasn't originally a target platform in the first place.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
I'm curious which line, in particular, you're thinking about here. Is it in the first half of the game or the second half?
Second half
happens when you overheard people having sex
it reveals Eureka's sexual history. I know it's designed to be part of Eureka's characterization, that she knows she's seen as an idiot and she wants others to like her, but it really doesn't work here. I've seen people posting screenshots of that scene and it's treated as an anime joke. It can be executed better.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Second half
happens when you overheard people having sex
it reveals Eureka's sexual history. I know it's designed to be part of Eureka's characterization, that she knows she's seen as an idiot and she wants others to like her, but it really doesn't work here. I've seen people posting screenshots of that scene and it's treated as an anime joke. It can be executed better.

I'm definitely gonna want to see that in context... would be a very odd misstep when by all accounts the rest of the game feels void of bullshit like that. Thanks for the heads up!

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I might try the first one out. Is it fully voiced? I listened to the launch trailer for LoR and I don't know if I can do a full play through with the awful voices I heard.

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I might try the first one out. Is it fully voiced? I listened to the launch trailer for LoR and I don't know if I can do a full play through with the awful voices I heard.

I haven't watched the trailer, but the actual English dub for the game is fantastic. Like, probably one of the best I've ever heard - and I'm usually a subs only guy.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Well you convinced me to try Refrain. Just bought it. It's been a while since I played a good dungeon crawler (last one was Zanki Zero) so I'll probably play it after I finish up on Demon's Souls.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
There were things about it i liked but i could never really get into refrain. Id be willing to give the sequel a chance if the combat/party system was spiced up a little.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't watched the trailer, but the actual English dub for the game is fantastic. Like, probably one of the best I've ever heard - and I'm usually a subs only guy.
In the trailer I just watched (using the English voice track), Luka's vocal characterization makes them sound like an overacted toddler. It's pretty grating, IMO. I wouldn't be able to make it through the game having to listen to them.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I just played Refrain last year and it was absolutely sleeper. Although i didn't get to the "true" ending, until I looked it up on Youtube and it was just obliterated my soul with bittersweet, like when
Eureka has to erased her emotions so she won't get sad anymore because everyone in her circle, especially her child, is disappeared in harrowed world.
It was pretty bleak if you ask me.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I liked Refrain a lot, despite the writing being pretty gross at times. Hopefully Galleria makes it to the US some day.

Kinda baffling the game didn't release on Switch. Isn't that where Refrain sold best?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I liked Refrain a lot, despite the writing being pretty gross at times. Hopefully Galleria makes it to the US some day.

Kinda baffling the game didn't release on Switch. Isn't that where Refrain sold best?
Nippon Ichi (as well as Falcom, actually) is seemingly just relying on NISA to get all the porting done which is part of why all these localizations take so long now. It's really unfortunate.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If this game sold as dreadfully as you say it did, is there even a realistic chance it comes over? I can't imagine it being given any sort of attention when there are probably other games they could focus on that didn't sell a measly 3,000 copies.

Gloomz

Oct 27, 2017
I notice these types of threads always, always have an embed of a track from the OST but never some gameplay and it's always been curious to me.

Anyway:

If this game sold as dreadfully as you say it did, is there even a realistic chance it comes over? I can't imagine it being given any sort of attention when there are probably other games they could focus on that didn't sell a measly 3,000 copies.

My thoughts as well.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Became a huge fan of the dungeon crawlers since Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey and trying to make my own. Nexus last year was my goty! so really interested in a game with a different approach to similar mechanics. I'm going to keep an eye out for this and might give refrain a go at some point.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
well this was a vita game (and a ps4 game) in 2020. there was no other outcome other than failure. a port to PC and Switch (in addition to ps4) would give the game a shot in the arm to at least make it's porting costs back

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017

it was under 3k on vita because tracking ended at 2,900 and the game didn't chart. it could have done anywhere between 0 an 2,900. on ps4, it sold 8,700.

the way japan retail works is that they'll buy stock and that'll be that. there's no such thing as a publisher-covered markdown like there is in the us or europe, so 8,700 on ps4 is probably more realistically like 12,000-14,000 overall, eventually. and ps vita would be around 3,000-5,000. add in 10% for digital sales (another 1,000 units) and this game will probably do around 15,000-20,000 overall. it's a massive bomb, a failure of leadership, and probably the end to this franchise, but considering it can still come to ps5 and switch in japan, where it could get another 10k in sales there means that a western version based off those platform releases would be pretty likely.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
well this was a vita game (and a ps4 game) in 2020. there was no other outcome other than failure. a port to PC and Switch (in addition to ps4) would give the game a shot in the arm to at least make it's porting costs back
That and every NIS sequel outside of Disgaea bombs. The Witch and the Hundred Knight was from the same team as this, and the second game similarly did abysmally (13k copies).