• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Labour has backed a plan by the government to jail people who deface war memorials and other monuments, the shadow home secretary has said.

Under proposals being considered by the home secretary, Priti Patel, and cabinet colleagues, vandals could face a 10-year prison sentence if convicted

The new law could also cover some of the statues actually being targeted by Black Lives Matter protesters, the Sunday Telegraph reports.

Asked about the proposals for 10-year prison sentences, the shadow home secretary, Nick Thomas-Symonds, told Sky News: "I would support the government in creating a specific offence of protecting war memorials and I would be willing to work with the government on that."

An identically named private members' bill was previously introduced in the 2009-2010 session of parliament, but it did not make it into law because parliament was prorogued for that year's election and the bill could not complete its course.

That bill also had a maximum penalty of 10 years, and defined war memorials as "any physical object created, erected or installed to commemorate those involved in or affected by a conflict or war, including civilians and animals".

The broad definition could therefore potentially encompass controversial military officers who took part in colonial wars.

www.independent.co.uk

Labour backs Priti Patel plan to jail protesters for vandalising war memorials

Government considering proposed legislation that would result in 10-year prison sentences for vandals

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
This was discussed I think in another thread but technically this is already against the law. Labour are not backing her per say more so agreeing with what is already the law as if they go against the law then the media will rip into them like crazy.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
It was;

www.resetera.com

UK Coronavirus Discussion COVID - OT

Don’t get sucked in. It was a media story to try to get Labour come out against it The maximum sentence is already 10 years https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/crown-court/item/criminal-damage-other-than-by-fire-value-exceeding-5000-racially-or-religiously-aggravated-criminal-damage/

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this whole thing was just a trap for Labour set by the conservatives.. I'm pretty sure 10 years is already the maximum sentence.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Not a new thing, it's always been 10 years. And no matter how morally justified it is, it's still against the law. Tory, Labour, Lib Dem, whatever, no politician can be seen as coming out against that. Labour had to bite.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
www.independent.co.uk

Labour backs Priti Patel plan to jail protesters for vandalising war memorials

Government considering proposed legislation that would result in 10-year prison sentences for vandals

Most of these statues will be valued at >£5000 so there's already a 10 year sentence possible for Criminal Damage. It's up to 14 if there's a religious or racially motivated aspect to the damage.

It's a nakedly political ploy to try to show up Labour, who haven't fell for it.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So if (honestly highly likely when)Labour supports the government on say trans oppression will that also be "glad they didn't fall for the Conservative trap"?

Cause I'm seeing a serious pattern that suggests that Labour actually acting like the opposition party is a bad policy.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Stay with me here, but maybe it's not "avoiding a trap" and actually what the leadership believe?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
So if (honestly highly likely when)Labour supports the government on say trans oppression will that also be "glad they didn't fall for the Conservative trap"?

What are you talking about...? Labour can't come out in opposition of criminal damage being against the law. But they can absolutely come out in opposition of any law that oppresses trans people. Keir Starmer supports trans rights and has openly stated as such, so I don't even know where you're coming from.

The new Labour leader wrote an essay for PinkNews back in February, explaining how LBGT+ rights would be at the core of his Labour Party.

In it, he underlined his support for reforms to the Gender Recognition Act (GRA), which he said must be overhauled to better support the trans community.

"Trans rights are human rights," he wrote. "Though the Gender Recognition Act was an important advance, it is clear that more needs to be done.
www.pinknews.co.uk

Keir Starmer wins Labour Party leadership with overwhelming majority. Here’s where he stands on LGBT+ rights

For Keir Starmer, LGBT+ rights are a crucial part of Labour politics. Here's where the new Labour leader stands on trans equality and more.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about...? Labour can't come out in opposition of criminal damage being against the law. But they can absolutely come out in opposition of any law that oppresses trans people. Keir Starmer supports trans rights and has openly stated as such, so I don't even know where you're coming from.

That's good. I'm concerned because there's a lot of TERFS in the Labour party.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland

Cause I'm seeing a serious pattern that suggests that Labour actually acting like the opposition party is a bad policy.

Labour isn't going to do that, don't be daft. There's TERFs everywhere but they don't control the Shadow Cabinet.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
As has been pointed out several times already, the law already states that the sentence for criminal damage is 10 years. This was an attempt to give the right-wing press that win against Starmer that they've been desperately seeking, so they could run headlines about Labour being soft on crime. It didn't work.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017

How about you wait for that moment and air your very rightful disagreements with the party rather these obvious PR hitjobs.

The government is tanking in the UK falling approval ratings and personal approval ratings for the PM. It's trying to bring the Labour party with them which is what these are. If the Labour party starts doing some genuinely immoral shit go to town I'd join you calling that shit out but don't waste your time doing the racist conservative governments jobs for them.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Two points on this :

1) You can already be jailed for criminal damage / vandalism. That's already law, Labour can't "oppose" it.

2) Labour's shadow home secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds told Sky News: "I would support the government in creating a specific offence of protecting war memorials and I would be willing to work with the government on that."

That quote is the extent of the story. If anything it was a ploy as there's not much Labour can do to stop a new bill going through, they can only seek cross-party support to change it for the better (and avoid 4 years of headlines about Starmer being soft on crime).

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Alright I'm willing to be wrong. Asked for thread to be locked.

If people think this is not a story

Last edited:

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
It's getting a bit rich that all those angry that the upper management of Labour sabotaged their leftiest leader are now trying to trip up the most recent candidate weeks into his tenure.

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017

When asked about this on sky, he said he was willing to work with the government but immeditetly moves onto what matters rather than get bogged down in a silly arguement that results in a Daily Mail headline like "Unpatriotic Labour opposes law to protect Wiston Churchill's statue."

Status
Not open for further replies.