• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand you might end up putting together a Switch Pro by mistake. If you do post it here.
*Neiteio returns with a cardboard construct that makes everyone rich, brings about world peace and causes everyone to experience never-ending orgasms*

Ah man I just wanted to look up a cardboard bird's butt

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Anyone else think it's weird that the instructions try to hammer in the point of holding the VR thing with both hands.....and then also tell you to hold a Right Joy-Con afterwards?

Is Zelda actually going to be playable?

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Anyone else think it's weird that the instructions try to hammer in the point of holding the VR thing with both hands.....and then also tell you to hold a Right Joy-Con afterwards?

They try to make it sound like you'll use it to look around and then stop. I'm waiting for a headband solution to strap that badboy to my face.

Oct 27, 2017

I was struggling so hard with this last night. I had to look through reviews and PR images until I saw one where someone was awkwardly holding the set with one hand and a right joy con with the other to confirm that that's what I was supposed to do.

It's not impossible, but it is physically uncomfortable after awhile.

OP
OP
jts

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished assembling the Blaster, and while the thing is impressive, and the craftsmanship in developing this thing is masterful, I was surprised to find a couple of mistakes in the instructions/set. A couple of tabs that didn't have a crease line and that the instructions asked me to fold, when in reality they didn't even need folding so forcing that fold just ended in unnecessary ugliness (but didn't affect the build), and another piece that I had to manually cut with scissors to make it work. Had a bit of an extra cardboard attached and wouldn't get into place if not fixed.

Anyone else found anything like this?

ALSO.
I must confess. Despite the funny writing, the process is a bit tedious and I wouldn't mind a PDF to go at my own pace without constantly having to press (and keep pressed) the forward button and see over and over the pieces being creased. And the fastest speed isn't nearly as fast as it should be.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
Only build the goggles today. It was easy enough and only took 30 min like advertised. Personally, i only played around with the kitchen minigame and the one where you destroy other RC cars with your own. The car game impressed me the most. As i let it circle around my feet i felt what i could only describe as "presence", a term i have heard often when it comes to VR. I really felt like the car was driving around me as i followed it with my head. It even made me feel a little motion sick, it was great lol.

The kids were absolutely impressed with it. We really had to watch them all the time because they always ended up wandering around when they had the VR goggles on. It was hillarious watching them being so into it.

The biggest issue i had was the resolution. I was not as botherd by the motion blur, even when i turned my head very fast. It really left a good first impression. Tomorrow i will build the blaster and check out the other games.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I primarily had to rip mine off because there was dust and stuff under there that I never noticed with my naked eye until looking through the lens, and it was a cheap one that kind of made fingerprints more visible. I'm sure most screen protectors are fine
Same here. I got dust under mine that I never noticed in handheld mode until now when it's magnified and very obvious. It's something I get used to and don't notice as much, but I probably will swap out to a glass protector soon enough, after giving it a nice clean, since I already have one but never felt the need for it. Personally, I'm more concerned with the dust (and potential scratches from not having a screen protector) than with any screen protector itself being the issue.
Oh no way, I was right! Cuburger check it out we got a confirmation on how the VR camera will work in BotW! O:
Pretty exciting. I'm glad they went as far as adding the head tracking just for comfort reasons. It really makes modding my goggles a priority to add a strap now and a good possibility that I want to sit down and put multiple hours into playing the game in VR. The depth will look so good for this game.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
I was struggling so hard with this last night. I had to look through reviews and PR images until I saw one where someone was awkwardly holding the set with one hand and a right joy con with the other to confirm that that's what I was supposed to do.

It's not impossible, but it is physically uncomfortable after awhile.

After awhile? After a few seconds lol

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
They try to make it sound like you'll use it to look around and then stop. I'm waiting for a headband solution to strap that badboy to my face.
Well, more than the lack of a headstrap, the game isn't made with VR in mind so maybe that is why they are officially taking that approach.

The HUD, for instance seems like it could be an issue since it shows your hearts in the top left of your periphery, which isn't unplayable but seems like it may be annoying to not see those elements as easily as if it were designed with VR in mind.

OP
OP
jts

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
OMG the blaster is too much fun. Wow. Too bad it makes noise when shooting if you want to keep it quiet at night. But tomorrow I'll have a better go.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Just finished assembling the Blaster, and while the thing is impressive, and the craftsmanship in developing this thing is masterful, I was surprised to find a couple of mistakes in the instructions/set. A couple of tabs that didn't have a crease line and that the instructions asked me to fold, when in reality they didn't even need folding so forcing that fold just ended in unnecessary ugliness (but didn't affect the build), and another piece that I had to manually cut with scissors to make it work. Had a bit of an extra cardboard attached and wouldn't get into place if not fixed.

Anyone else found anything like this?

ALSO.
I must confess. Despite the funny writing, the process is a bit tedious and I wouldn't mind a PDF to go at my own pace without constantly having to press (and keep pressed) the forward button and see over and over the pieces being creased. And the fastest speed isn't nearly as fast as it should be.
I didn't have any experience like that. Are you sure you didn't have the piece flipped over or turned around? A lot of pieces aren't symmetrical but look very similar on each side where I've have to double check that the printing was on the right side and it was all turned around to align with the picture before proceeding, but I never ran into folding a piece that didn't need folding or having to manually cut a piece with scissors.

Darth Giggity

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it that the make your own fps game and some of the others immediately tell you to take the visor off when playing?

OP
OP
jts

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't have any experience like that. Are you sure you didn't have the piece flipped over or turned around? A lot of pieces aren't symmetrical but look very similar on each side where I've have to double check that the printing was on the right side and it was all turned around to align with the picture before proceeding, but I never ran into folding a piece that didn't need folding or having to manually cut a piece with scissors.
6-F277-BAE-68-BD-4-F3-E-A7-D1-8-C37-C6094-D90.jpg

These "flaps" don't need folding, and don't have a crease line pre-cut. You can check them right there on the place where the VR Goggles are set.

94-BF6-AF5-A461-4670-9-D3-E-E9-FAE7-D885-E6.jpg

It just became ugly and was completely unnecessary. It's parallel with that upper triangular "flap". They don't need to fold to fit or for any purpose at all. In fact, these flaps aren't really flaps, they just look like flaps, they are just the result of the negative flap cut out of the piece to give room for the grommet, so something got lost in translation when preparing the instructions. It's an honest mistake, even huge and extremely expensive Lego sets sometimes come with instruction mistakes.

The part I had to cut out I also documented, but I'll post it in a later occasion.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
I messed up somewhere with the trigger on the blaster, because it doesn't reset automatically like it should. So I've been pulling it back up with my finger and it'll work that way, but holy crap does this seem like a lot of unraveling to figure out.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I messed up somewhere with the trigger on the blaster, because it doesn't reset automatically like it should. So I've been pulling it back up with my finger and it'll work that way, but holy crap does this seem like a lot of unraveling to figure out.

The only thing that 'resets' the trigger would be the rubber bands, no? I'd make sure they haven't snapped or that you haven't forgotten to put them on. Failing that, I'd just re-do the steps in Make regarding the trigger to ensure did it correctly.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco

Same thing happened to mine: it's a snapped band inside the barrel of the Toy-Con. I was considering putting together a video about it, but the Labo game itself will walk you through it in the Arts & Crafts section

Oct 27, 2017
There were a couple of creases that were less-defined on the pre-cut piece than the vast majority of others. As for the creases the OP mentions, they aid in sliding in that piece and making the "box" where the goggles are inserted, but I too noticed that once it's installed the creases don't seem to have a function.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The VR Plaza games that show a TV screen or handheld mode aren't meant to be played in VR.

Precisely. This is for two reasons:

1) The camera moves in most of those games - often to follow the player - which isn't supported in VR Mode. Proof: go to the Toy-Con Garage VR and find the camera nodes - they say "(VR not supported)" next to them.
2) Or, the game is meant to be played in multiplayer ("Make A Fighting Game!" comes to mind), hence wearing the VR Goggles defeats the point.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
6-F277-BAE-68-BD-4-F3-E-A7-D1-8-C37-C6094-D90.jpg

These "flaps" don't need folding, and don't have a crease line pre-cut. You can check them right there on the place where the VR Goggles are set.

94-BF6-AF5-A461-4670-9-D3-E-E9-FAE7-D885-E6.jpg

It just became ugly and was completely unnecessary. It's parallel with that upper triangular "flap". They don't need to fold to fit or for any purpose at all. In fact, these flaps aren't really flaps, they just look like flaps, they are just the result of the negative flap cut out of the piece to give room for the grommet, so something got lost in translation when preparing the instructions. It's an honest mistake, even huge and extremely expensive Lego sets sometimes come with instruction mistakes.

The part I had to cut out I also documented, but I'll post it in a later occasion.
I see what you mean. I had perforation in mine in the same spot, but they are slight. It's kind of the nature of cardboard because even with a more defined fold cut out and carefully applying even pressure while folding, I got a few spots that just seemed to crinkle the surface of the cardboard no matter what I did, but I'm sure it was exacerbated by you not having a pre-fold in the cardboard.

These particular fold don't really seem to serve a purpose either when examining my own. I thought it was to hold the goggles in better but I noticed the blaster is the only Toycon I've made so far that has these folds.

Oct 27, 2017
I see what you mean. I had perforation in mine in the same spot, but they are slight. It's kind of the nature of cardboard because even with a more defined fold cut out and carefully applying even pressure while folding, I got a few spots that just seemed to crinkle the surface of the cardboard no matter what I did, but I'm sure it was exacerbated by you not having a pre-fold in the cardboard.

These particular fold don't really seem to serve a purpose either when examining my own. I thought it was to hold the goggles in better but I noticed the blaster is the only Toycon I've made so far that has these folds.
The crease helps when you fold that whole piece over and slide it in,it provides enough clearance to get by that grommet I think.

OP
OP
jts

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The crease helps when you fold that whole piece over and slide it in,it provides enough clearance to get by that grommet I think.
I'm willing to wager cardboard has enough "give" to allow it being simply pushed into position. The fact that mine didn't even come perforated, while Cuburger 's did, means that there could be some versioning going on already to address this, not reflected by the software yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm willing to wager cardboard has enough "give" to allow it being simply pushed into position. The fact that mine didn't even come perforated, while Cuburger 's did, means that there could be some versioning going on already to address this, not reflected by the software yet.

I have my own kit coming in tomorrow (we worked on my kid's kit first, a starter pack) so we'll see whether that one has the perforation or not!

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
Built the viewer and blaster last night. Given the limitations of the switch, I think Nintendo did a really nice job with VR here. Resolution is obviously noticeably less than other headsets, but I think it's fine. My only real hangup is that refresh rate of the screen makes rotational movement pretty blurry. I own a PSVR, Oculus, DayDream, and Cardboard, and as a VR experience this is way better than DayDream/Cardboard.

I really hope this catches on internally, as I would love to see more full VR support in games ala Zelda (assuming this ends up being good). Even further into the future, I would love to see a console/handheld/vr convergence device from Nintendo.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Just done with the blaster. There's 2 extra pieces that forms into some sort of stand? what is that for? I don't remember seeing that in the tutorial.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just made the vr goggles and had some fun trying the demos and video's, really neat stuff. I also like how the "discovery" mode explains everything in a fun way.
Still can't believe I only payed 30 euro for this. Thanks amazon.fr

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Did the Camera today. So far, Ocean Camera is my favorite of the games in the pack.

If you didn't know already, looking up and down lets you change elevation underwater. Allowing you to dive into the caves below, or reach the surface. There is a fish of an unusual size in the caves, it looks kind of creepy when it gets close.

Oct 27, 2017

The article was written with an audience in mind that is either interested in higher-tech VR, or currently uses a VR strapped to the face.

My kid has used PSVR before, but was completely taken in and amazed by the LABO blaster game. We built the blaster but I haven't tried the game yet myself,
so I'm curious about where my own reactions are going to land. I'd be comparing my own experience to games like Astro Bot, Moss, VR worlds, and general 3d tech like 3DS and viewmasters, it's going to be interesting no matter what happens.

I think a Japanese dev interview said that the BOTW support is basically meant for people to turn it on when they want to get a specific view of something in VR mode. I'm curious myself how possible (or not) it may be to play BOTW fully in VR.

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing Labo gives you that none of the other VR solutions give you is physical presence. I'm not going to get a camera that twists to zoom or a blaster that physically cocks and fires with Vive or Oculus. VR is about immersion and what Nintendo has shown is that there are dimensions to immersion beyond fidelity. As such, I think this very much has earned a place in the VR marketplace right now.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
How is he playing where the Toycon are repeatedly slamming him in the face?

The blaster has a handle so you can securely hold it, and there is no "kicK' to firing the blaster since the rubberbands "shoot" the core away from your face. So unless you are loosely holding the handle while you pump the headset into your face to reload it, I have no idea what he is talking about.

Sounds like he can't stop like VR gatekeeping bias from spilling across this article.

Nintendo Labo VR review: There's no "Nintendo magic" inside these lenses
Above all the other failings of Nintendo Labo VR, the biggest might be its lack of "Nintendo magic."
Labo VR is a rare case of the big N actively fighting with, and losing to, its own hardware in delivering anything close to magical.
Only the elephant mask offers a truly unique and—dare I say it—magical experience within Labo VR.
For my money, the Elephant kit is the absolute star here. It's as close as Nintendo Labo gets to 6DOF and, while awkward, feels much more magical than anything else in the set. I'm stunned that they didn't put Elephant in the "starter" kit instead.

Come on, bro. Get over yourself. It's okay to like something and still keep your "real VR" gamer cred.

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
I have a question for anyone who bought the starter kit and at least another expansion set: Is any of the material that's inside the starter kit needed to build some of the toy-cons from the expansion sets? Like some cardboard or some stickers? There are still unused cardboard elements and other stuff like those red stickers in my box after having built the goggles and the blaster. (I know that you need the goggles for the other toy-cons, the question only refers to the unused material)

I'm asking because I don't have my start kit packaging at hand right now, but I'm willing to buy and build some expansions before I have access to the starter kit packaging again.

BuggyMike

Nov 2, 2017
Man I saw this and had to share it. This dude customized his Labo headset with a Zelda theme along with a pretty cool strap solution.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
How is he playing where the Toycon are repeatedly slamming him in the face?

The blaster has a handle so you can securely hold it, and there is no "kicK' to firing the blaster since the rubberbands "shoot" the core away from your face. So unless you are loosely holding the handle while you pump the headset into your face to reload it, I have no idea what he is talking about.

Sounds like he can't stop like VR gatekeeping bias from spilling across this article.

Come on, bro. Get over yourself. It's okay to like something and still keep your "real VR" gamer cred.

Don't tag me and then third-person me. I'm right here. There's a whole 'nother forum you can go to if you want to go to the trouble of hunting for my review, which I didn't post here, and then be rude about it. I'm happy to chat about my experience if you want to have a grown-up conversation about it.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Don't tag me and then third-person me. I'm right here. There's a whole 'nother forum you can go to if you want to go to the trouble of hunting for my review, which I didn't post here, and then be rude about it. I'm happy to chat about my experience if you want to have a grown-up conversation about it.
Well, I started writing my post about your article first before I went back to see what you said in the thread, since I remembered you being positive in this thread about the elephant specifically. Just bizarre to see your title and tone throughout your article before getting to the second page where you finally give a little credit where credit is due, although seemingly with caveats you didn't seem to make when talking about it here.

I have issues with the way you frame the overall experience, especially in comparison with other VR, and even by your initial reaction to your discomfort, it seems to me that your M.O. was less about attempting to inform people about this as objectively as you can muster, you seem to believe it is your duty to warn people about Labo VR in any way that you think you can, whether that was warning people that you thought it could make them sick initially or here by trying to dissuade people from playing this despite being actually unable to consider it objectively bad.

The final paragraph of your article sums it up the best:

So long as you appreciate how much better VR can be, and that Nintendo has been soundly trounced in the good-VR-design department by the likes of Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, TiltBrush, Beat Saber, Vacation Simulator, Superhot VR, Moss, SuperHyperCube, Space Pirate Trainer, and on and on and on... then, sure, give Labo VR a whirl. Just don't say I didn't warn ya.

You literally end with "Just don't say I didn't warn ya."

It's weird that you even throw in "I'd rather VR newbies pull the gun on the $200 Oculus Go, which is a far more impressive (and comfortable) 3DOF VR platform, but that's nowhere near the impulse-buy territory of Labo VR's $40 starter set." but do nothing to explain that one is a literal platform for games and one is a cardboard kit for kids that is meant to be fun and somewhat educational. As if the resolution here is a threat to VR and 3DoF as well as 60Hz on a non-OLED screen is problematic in Labo but Oculus Go being strictly 3DoF without positional hand tracking at all, displaying in 60Hz, also on a non-OLED LCD screen is something you'll recommend.

And I still don't get how these Toycons are constantly smacking you in the face. I really would like to know.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

I've gathered. But I spelled out my opinion, which is mixed and nuanced because I'm afforded the privilege to not slap a number at the end of the review.

I still don't get how these Toycons are constantly smacking you in the face.

No other VR headset on the market requires you to cock a shotgun in the direction of your face while plastic is already pressed against it, nor do they make you do so at a feverish pace to beat certain difficult shooting challenges. I am not going to argue about physics on the Internet today.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Cute.

Should have just said stated from the beginning that your article spoke for itself if you didn't actually want to have a "grown up conversation" and would rather resort to childish responses.

I was trying to give a good faith response and that is what I get in return.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question for anyone who bought the starter kit and at least another expansion set: Is any of the material that's inside the starter kit needed to build some of the toy-cons from the expansion sets? Like some cardboard or some stickers? There are still unused cardboard elements and other stuff like those red stickers in my box after having built the goggles and the blaster. (I know that you need the goggles for the other toy-cons, the question only refers to the unused material)

I'm asking because I don't have my start kit packaging at hand right now, but I'm willing to buy and build some expansions before I have access to the starter kit packaging again.

I don't have any of the expansions but I do know that Labo kits always leave you with a little bit of leftover material to use with your own custom projects, so that's probably the case here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
*Neiteio returns with a cardboard construct that makes everyone rich, brings about world peace and causes everyone to experience never-ending orgasms*

Ah man I just wanted to look up a cardboard bird's butt

Never ending? CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

On topic: GF ordered this and we were pretty much sold on BOTW alone even if it's Third Person. I've not bought any Labo stuff yet despite being pretty interested in its concepts and happy it exists to teach kids programming and such. Looking forward to trying the headset with BOTW when it updates.