• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
1OVT146.jpg
my boy finally has a friend

YOU CHOPPED OFF ITS LEGS YOU MONSTER

Last edited:

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The Mario and eating videos are freaking me the hell out.

The deer video was crazy immersive. Whatever camera and software setup Nintendo has for their 180 3d videos is pretty great. I've seen countless 180 and 360 videos on higher res headsets that look like complete ass in comparison, it's nice to see Nintendo found a good method out of the gate. I think the depth quality is almost on par with Felix & Paul (made a bunch of these kinds of videos for Gear VR).

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
I had some typed up as a draft on my phone but it got deleted, so I'll help post a few of the most common ones I've noticed. Usually technical and compatibility questions (like which toycon work with VR Plaza). I'll shoot you a PM when I get a chance.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
It's not trolling, it's my opinion, it's honest and true, I hope you learn that people can have opinions that are in opposition to you and not be trolls. I'm bringing up the fact that many sites are glazing over a key aspect of this VR experience that isn't great. This is bullying, I didn't directly offend you, you're attacking me. because you're on the popular side nobody will report you though.

Gameexplain said awful graphics, gamespot said awful blurry graphics, other sites have said the exact same thing. I'm not fabricating anything.
What a sad little post. You accused people reviewing it of Nintendo bias. This is console wars bs and way worse than what that poster said to you. Don't play the victim card. Bullying, lol.

OP
OP
jts

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I had some typed up as a draft on my phone but it got deleted, so I'll help post a few of the most common ones I've noticed. Usually technical and compatibility questions (like which toycon work with VR Plaza). I'll shoot you a PM when I get a chance.
Sure! Thanks.

JUNGLEGAMER

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 3, 2019
What I gather is "the games all look like garbage, heavy screen door effect, but it's Nintendo so we love it!"

I'll be ready to pick these up when they inevitably go on deep discount.
I think they are not giving Nintendo a free pass. They are praising Labo because it does well for what is intended for its a cheap entry level vr for quick fun. Nintendo never promised cutting edge VR. The midia is praising cause it actually is pretty compelling for a piece of cardboard

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think I have the budget for Labo VR for the next few months but reading these impressions makes me quite happy. Will definitely get one after I get my financial priorities set up.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Weird, can't seem to claim the gold coin rewards. System complains about the region. No issue with the other Labo games I tried to redeem today.
Same here. I had the same issue with the Vehicle Kit too, but I never had this issue with the first two kits or any other games. I've never changed my region either, so I don't know what's up with the error. Just got off the phone with Nintendo support and they just gave me the Gold Points on my account, but if I try to register the games again it still just gives me that same error, not tell me that I've already redeemed points for the game, so I guess they just gave me the points but didn't actually fix the issue. They didn't seem to know what the issue was either. It's weird. =/

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Weird, can't seem to claim the gold coin rewards. System complains about the region. No issue with the other Labo games I tried to redeem today.
Same here. I had the same issue with the Vehicle Kit too, but I never had this issue with the first two kits or any other games. I've never changed my region either, so I don't know what's up with the error. Just got off the phone with Nintendo support and they just gave me the Gold Points on my account, but if I try to register the games again it still just gives me that same error, not tell me that I've already redeemed points for the game, so I guess they just gave me the points but didn't actually fix the issue. They didn't seem to know what the issue was either. It's weird. =/
I don't think the Labo games give Gold Coins. They have never worked for me.

Anyway, got done building the goggles! Glasses users can relax — it works fine if you are wearing any.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm loving the Toy-Con Garage VR. You can so much with the new nodes available; I made a Mirror's Edge-kinda game using the tools available. Combined with some solid games with actual *gasp* content and this is the best kit by far.

Weird that Nintendo perhaps didn't send out enough stock? Either that or its' far more popular than I expected.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
I'm loving the Toy-Con Garage VR. You can so much with the new nodes available; I made a Mirror's Edge-kinda game using the tools available. Combined with some solid games with actual *gasp* content and this is the best kit by far.

Weird that Nintendo perhaps didn't send out enough stock? Either that or its' far more popular than I expected.

More popular seems likely. This seems to have captured people's imaginations far more then any of the other kits. I think it helps that the games are the best of the series and it's a unique experience moreso then anything since the Variety kit.

It really does need online sharing though.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the Labo games give Gold Coins. They have never worked for me.
They definitely do, or they're supposed to at least. I got Gold Points like normal with the Variety Kit and Robot Kit. It's only the last two kits that have given me an issue. And when I contacted Nintendo about it they didn't say that Labo doesn't give you Gold Points. I wonder how many people are having this issue but dismiss it because they think Labo just isn't supposed to give Gold Points for some reason...

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually really impressed with the image quality; it's much better than I expected! There isn't much of a visible screen door effect; definitely way better than the Oculus DK1! (probably helps that it's a hell of a lot brighter)

The motion smearing is a bit unfortunate though... It's not bad when you're just moving your head around slowly, but rapid head movements do make it a bit of a blurry mess unfortunately... It's not a dealbreaker, but it's definitely noticeable.

I'm really impressed with the head-tracking! I've had absolutely zero calibration issues with it! No gyro drift at all! I actually don't know how they pulled it off!

Quite remarkable that it's workable at all; considering that the Switch hardware was never originally designed for VR!

It's also surprisingly comfortable, despite not having a strap! Even the one handed motion controlled games actually worked really well! (Two handed motion controlled games would obviously be impossible without a strap though). I don't see the lack of a strap being a barrier to most VR games TBH!

I've not had time to build anything outside of the VR Goggles yet, but I've had a blast with the VR Plaza and the videos! Looking forward to building the rest of the kit and diving into the rest of what's on offer! :D

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

My eyes and stomach still feel funky. I have an IPD of roughly 61.4mm, on the small side in the "normal" range, but didn't experience anything this uncomfortable with, say, Oculus Quest.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017

My eyes and stomach still feel funky. I have an IPD of roughly 61.4mm, on the small side in the "normal" range, but didn't experience anything this uncomfortable with, say, Oculus Quest.

I mean the better way to say this is tell consumers to be cautious or be prepared, but I "subjected" my daughter to this when she got home from school and she had a blast.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

I'm sorry that this gave you a rough time but seems a bit extreme to tell parents that just because of your experience when there's plenty of good impressions out there.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Hey, could someone help me out? I've got the VR Blaster and starter kit all built. I'm playing the alien shooter now but I don't know how to find the hippo game? Anyone know how to access the hippo game?

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, I love Nintendo, even at their gimmickiest so seeing them do weird ass VR shit like the wind pedal while you look through a goose's arse and fly around is amazing. The underwater photography game looks like the closest we'll ever get to a Pokémon Snap 2 from Nintendo so I'm hyper interested in that (also the ocean is a terrifying place so bonus points there).

On the other hand, even one instance of someone feeling sick after use scares me off a bit. I love my Rift, I love my standing and sitting and walking around VR. I love my snap turning and teleporting and snap move and all that but free movement pretty much ruins my stomach so seeing someone have a similar effect when this is just all sitting worries me a bit.

Plus, I don't know where I'd store all the toys and it's the kind of thing I don't think I'd want to disassemble incase I want to play more or show it off to friends or family. Plus, if it's good/ok I'm going to have to buy BotW again but on Switch this time because I'd want to see that in VR...

But it looks so fun!

Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll get glasses for my 8-year old cousin then cause we just finished off a 4 hour play session and he was fine, but he could be dead now I guess.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Man, I just realized that a good implementation of VR in Smash would be to just look at trophies in VR but then I realized trophies aren't even a thing anymore. What a waste.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

My first time with PSVR made me really nauseated too, but that tweet is some alarmist sounding nonsense. Every single person has a different experience with VR, and while you can caution parents to be careful letting their kids use it because it can bring about nausea in some cases, your language of "subjecting their kids to it" like it's some kind of punishment or torture to use is ridiculous, especially when countless others have used it with no issues at all.

That said, I do hope you feel better soon, VR motion sickness [any kind of motion sickness, really] sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
The platforming One that's like original donkey Kong is kind of neat. Not too much you can do with just the headset so I guess I'm off to build the blaster.

The construction aspect of it was always pretty neat. The robot kit is probably the worst one since it takes a long time to build and you can't do anything without it. But at least I can play right after the visor.

Haven't gotten sick, but I've only played a few minutes.
Should probably put on my contacts for the next go

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
My first time with PSVR made me really nauseated too, but that tweet is some alarmist sounding nonsense. Every single person has a different experience with VR, and while you can caution parents to be careful letting their kids use it because it can bring about nausea in some cases, your language of "subjecting their kids to it" like it's some kind of punishment or torture to use is ridiculous, especially when countless others have used it with no issues at all.

That said, I do hope you feel better soon, VR motion sickness [any kind of motion sickness, really] sucks.

I've been testing the modern wave of VR kits since the DK1 was being shown behind closed doors before its Kickstarter. I have an admittedly low tolerance for VR motion sickness, which means I don't review games or hardware with any sort of "VR legs," always mindful of what a new user might experience. I have written glowing reviews of VR games on "weaker" systems like PSVR. And I have never had an experience that felt this painful this quickly, so, yeah, I'm sending a warning out there for a wider audience.

I am glad to hear other people (and kids) are enjoying it without getting sick, and ResetERA readers can take all of these combined impressions (which I assume they want to hear, since this thing just came out) and decide accordingly.

Jan 20, 2019
Great to hear that so many folks are enjoying this so far! I want to see what kind of things can get cooked up in the VR Garage, but am considering picking this up sometime soon.

I can't help but feel like we won't see online sharing of VR Garage creations, and if we do it will be more a "submission and we'll share it if it's approved" type of deal. Still, that would be a next-level driver for this. Hopefully the initial sell-out of inventory will have Nintendo consider allowing at least some kind of user-creation sharing.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
Great to hear that so many folks are enjoying this so far! I want to see what kind of things can get cooked up in the VR Garage, but am considering picking this up sometime soon.

I can't help but feel like we won't see online sharing of VR Garage creations, and if we do it will be more a "submission and we'll share it if it's approved" type of deal. Still, that would be a next-level driver for this. Hopefully the initial sell-out of inventory will have Nintendo consider allowing at least some kind of user-creation sharing.
It is insane that Nintendo doesn't want you to share especially since the tools are becoming more and more complicated. I bet if Nintendo is tracking how many people use the garage more than once they would add a sharing feature.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
Got the Toy-Con VR Goggles built and have been having a blast messing around with it! It's evoking memories of trying the Nintendo 3DS for the first time and being introduced to auto-stereoscopic 3D and AR via its built-in apps. Actually I'd say it's a lot like 3DS overall...but with VR, lol. Like, the lower resolution feels kinda like looking at the 3DS's 3D screen, but you're surrounded in it. That's not to say it's bad at all, of course! It feels like a natural evolution of the 3DS in a sense. And getting used to the VR feels very similar to getting used to the 3DS's 3D for the first time; that is, it briefly feels a bit weird at first but with some extended use it becomes totally normal. In fact I probably adjusted to Labo VR even faster 'cause I was already used to 3D from the 3DS. As someone who absolutely loved 3D on the 3DS, I'm just happy that 3D Nintendo content lives on on Switch thanks to Labo VR!

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I assume there's no sharing for the VR Plaza thing, since I couldn't find anything at all. It seems like such a waste, since they got some alright logic system for making fun little things.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I really do think I'll just go for the $40 kit instead just to test. Worried about the motion sickness stuff.

That's probably a good idea if you are worried (although that tweet is a bit sensationalist and makes it sound more like a torture device). I get motion sickness sometimes with PSVR but haven't with Labo so YMMV.

Last edited:

ThatsMyTrunks

Mokuzai Studio
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
This thing is an absolute blast, but I was getting a little queasy from it. I guess I've been doing VR stuff all day and it's getting late, so maybe my tolerance isn't what it normally is.

I've only built the goggles and played a couple of small games, but I really love it. I'm also down to pick up whatever headstrap thing people might create for it in the future.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've been testing the modern wave of VR kits since the DK1 was being shown behind closed doors before its Kickstarter. I have an admittedly low tolerance for VR motion sickness, which means I don't review games or hardware with any sort of "VR legs," always mindful of what a new user might experience. I have written glowing reviews of VR games on "weaker" systems like PSVR. And I have never had an experience that felt this painful this quickly, so, yeah, I'm sending a warning out there for a wider audience.

I am glad to hear other people (and kids) are enjoying it without getting sick, and ResetERA readers can take all of these combined impressions (which I assume they want to hear, since this thing just came out) and decide accordingly.

Out of curiosity are you experiencing the motion sickness from just the head tracking and smearing or in a specific mini game? I ask because most motion sickness cases in VR result from lateral movement or just camera movement not being controlled by your own body. Most of the mini games I've seen so far have you in a stationary position, then again I got the starter kit so maybe it's something like the bird flight one that's giving you such a strong reaction?

Morisaki

Oct 29, 2017
I assume there's no sharing for the VR Plaza thing, since I couldn't find anything at all. It seems like such a waste, since they got some alright logic system for making fun little things.

I assume the reason that there is no sharing with Labo Garage is due to Nintendo not wanting a repeat of the Swapnote incident with a product that is targeted at kids. Which is really unfortunate; it seems like a wasted opportunity and could result in better popularity of the Labo series.

samred

Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Out of curiosity are you experiencing the motion sickness from just the head tracking and smearing or in a specific mini game? I ask because most motion sickness cases in VR result from lateral movement or just camera movement not being controlled by your own body. Most of the mini games I've seen so far have you in a stationary position, then again I got the starter kit so maybe it's something like the bird flight one that's giving you such a strong reaction?

I had only tested the very opening set of games, unlocked after you build the basic headset. Most of these are stationary, the kind of stuff that fits into VR best-practices. There's something about the way the lenses are set that makes me feel uncomfortable after roughly 180 seconds inside the headset, as opposed to what you're describing, such as lateral camera movement (a la the very first level in Astro Bot, which has some abrupt camera movement that isn't really replicated in the rest of that game).

I'm gonna try a few things and have friends and kids test this out and see what's going on before posting a full review at Ars. If I discover something egregious in how I constructed the headset or anything else, I'll be sure to report back here and on Twitter.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I had only tested the very opening set of games, unlocked after you build the basic headset. Most of these are stationary, the kind of stuff that fits into VR best-practices. There's something about the way the lenses are set that makes me feel uncomfortable after roughly 180 seconds inside the headset, as opposed to what you're describing, such as lateral camera movement (a la the very first level in Astro Bot, which has some abrupt camera movement that isn't really replicated in the rest of that game).

I'm gonna try a few things and have friends and kids test this out and see what's going on before posting a full review at Ars. If I discover something egregious in how I constructed the headset or anything else, I'll be sure to report back here and on Twitter.
One other thing that could apply to you. For me everything was smudged really badly, and I realized I was getting a ton of additional blur because of my cheap screen protector. I took that off and everything was much clearer. Still very screen doored of course compared to other stuff, but it was night and day.