• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you are interested in nonVR applications why not try existing game making software?

If you are interested in vr applications I don't see why you wouldn't want to get a physical kit.
I mean in general it would be nice sometimes wanting to mess around with Labo but not having to juggle 3 or 4 small cartridges. It would be cool to have a single Labo hub digital title that expands with each entry, but short of that being able to get the titles individually from the eShop.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised by the negative reactions. This looks better than any of the other Labo kits to me (with the possible exception of the piano/synth).

I mean, what? You're comparing it to $400-$800 PSVR/Rift/Vive VR setups?

Compare it to something like Google Cardboard, in which case this looks pretty damn polished.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Surprised by the negative reactions. This looks better than any of the other Labo kits to me (with the possible exception of the piano/synth).

I mean, what? You're comparing it to $400-$800 PSVR/Rift/Vive VR setups?

Compare it to something like Google Cardboard, in which case this looks pretty damn polished.
Welcome to a Labo thread on ERA, where people can't seem to accept that this isn't aimed at them

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
The games/experiences seem fun, but i expect the actual VR experience to be quite poor. The Switch and especially the screen is not built to deliver a good VR experience, we are talking sub Oculus Rift DK1 levels of fidelity here and the device will be very front heavy due to the tablet design.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Welcome to a Labo thread on ERA, where people can't seem to accept that this isn't aimed at them

Its not just era tho, alot of journalists have reacted immediately, vehemently opposed to this idea, with ridiculous notions like 'its going to hurt the VR industry'

And yet, every hands on impression ive read says that it is a) a really surprisingly competent product b) brings nintendo magic to the VR world and c) is a perfect 'gateway' VR experience.

So I look forward to watching these childish journalists and posters eating crow-pie

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Connecting this with the other VR kits would be amazing ! For example using the steering wheel while driving in VR
I"m sure someone is bound to try it out.

I'm waiting for someone to adapt the Robot Kit into some rudimentary full body tracking. It may not be able to tell the exact 3D positioning of your limbs, but it seems like it's enough analog info to know gestures (like how in the Robot Kit software, it knew if you'd extend one arm out to punch, both arms out to the side to fly, if you were taking a step, or if you crouched down into a ball to transform into a car). At the very least, I could see someone make a similar sort of action game.

It does feel like with the improvements to the Toy-Con Garage, Labo has been building up to this. Makes me interested in going back to get the Labo kits I missed considering they could theoretically be used with the updated Toy-Con Garage VR.

They already updated the variety pack's garage with the QOL fixes that the vehicle kit had, so you never know.
That's pretty cool. If they updated the old Garages and made it easy to share programs, Labo could be a really great platform, not just for making little games but for tinkering around in VR. Just that they've improved the visual element of Toy-Con Garage to actually make more complex "video" as part of your video games (with 3D models, no less) as well as introducing physics is like we took a generational leap from the Game & Watch to HD consoles.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
The games/experiences seem fun, but i expect the actual VR experience to be quite poor. The Switch and especially the screen is not built to deliver a good VR experience, we are talking sub Oculus Rift DK1 levels of fidelity here and the device will be very front heavy due to the tablet design.

I think good, actual VR experience was never on the table for the designers. It's that the Switch is capable of some sort of VR experience and they decided to build a product around it. The fact that you don't strap the Switch on your head is quite telling how they approach it.

Feb 10, 2018
The games actually look pretty good, they have nice graphics and look pretty fun.

It's overpriced though, you should get the game and all the labos for $100

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Looks shockingly well-featured. Labo always has the incredible construction element to recommend it for, but this looks like it might be the first time the software keeps up its end of the bargain.
The vehicle kit has enough content for quite a few hours once the pieces are complete.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The start pack at 40$ is pretty enticing, will probably be my first labo purchase and I expect it to perform really well. Could become a multi million seller.

Feb 10, 2018
Graphics are gonna look a whole lot worse once you have a 720p screen strapped an inch from your face.

Yes I have tried VR with Google cardboard with a 4.5inch 720p android phone, so the switch will be worse. However if the framerate is good, once you get past the aliasing and screen door, the games may be quite fun.
Remember this is a selection of games for $80, not a full VR platform.
If you look at it for what it is its quite good, but if you compare it to recent dedicated headsets of course its going to pale in comparison.

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
Graphics are gonna look a whole lot worse once you have a 720p screen strapped an inch from your face.

Eurogamer :

"The Switch itself provides another point of contention. It is, of course, loaded up with all sorts of gyros and gadgets that provide the motion tracking VR requires, but its screen is a paltry 720p - nearly half the resolution you'd expect of the smartphones that offer similar lo-fi VR experiences. It should look terrible, but somehow it does not. This isn't the measure of the latest Oculus or Vive headsets by some measure, and you can certainly count the individual pixels before your eyes, but through some magic - maybe it's slightly out of focus optics helping soothe away any incriminating sharpness, or Nintendo finally embracing anti-aliasing for a smoother image quality - it goes beyond being serviceable and feels like a more than adequate VR solution. "

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
The games actually look pretty good, they have nice graphics and look pretty fun.

It's overpriced though, you should get the game and all the labos for $100

Do you mean all previously released Labos, all previously released cardboards & games? Plus all the VR Kit?

Cos they all have a ton of game content each which wouldn't be reasonable to all fit into $100. The Vehicle Labo Kit From las September alone will keep you occupied for many hours. Have you tried them?

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I've made the £70 purchase, I thought that it's basically VR minigames and if they can price 1-2 Switch for £50 then this holds more value to me!

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I think Labo VR will do far less damage to the perception of VR than people who spent $400 or more on PSVR or another supplemental hmd, got motion sickness and a headache, tripped over the leash, then put the whole thing in the closet for 2 years.

Much like Labo, current VR has a very strong "try it out, then put it away" element. At least the cost is less of a factor here.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
[...]That's pretty cool. If they updated the old Garages and made it easy to share programs, Labo could be a really great platform, not just for making little games but for tinkering around in VR. Just that they've improved the visual element of Toy-Con Garage to actually make more complex "video" as part of your video games (with 3D models, no less) as well as introducing physics is like we took a generational leap from the Game & Watch to HD consoles.
Based on Fortune Magazine there's no online sharing function for the VR Labo Garage mode either.
I hope they reconsider.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eurogamer :

"The Switch itself provides another point of contention. It is, of course, loaded up with all sorts of gyros and gadgets that provide the motion tracking VR requires, but its screen is a paltry 720p - nearly half the resolution you'd expect of the smartphones that offer similar lo-fi VR experiences. It should look terrible, but somehow it does not. This isn't the measure of the latest Oculus or Vive headsets by some measure, and you can certainly count the individual pixels before your eyes, but through some magic - maybe it's slightly out of focus optics helping soothe away any incriminating sharpness, or Nintendo finally embracing anti-aliasing for a smoother image quality - it goes beyond being serviceable and feels like a more than adequate VR solution. "

I want to try it myself, but as someone who's played a lot of similar games on an amateur PS4 I'm a little sceptical of the mini games that ask you to hit distant objects with such a low resolution screen. And anti-aliasing is never the problem with seeing things in the distance.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Its not just era tho, alot of journalists have reacted immediately, vehemently opposed to this idea, with ridiculous notions like 'its going to hurt the VR industry'

And yet, every hands on impression ive read says that it is a) a really surprisingly competent product b) brings nintendo magic to the VR world and c) is a perfect 'gateway' VR experience.

So I look forward to watching these childish journalists and posters eating crow-pie
What VR industry

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the garage mode has come a long way from the first iteration where you were limited to a bunch of white rectangles.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
64 bit sized experiences? So about your average VR store selection then.

Joking aside, it does looks way deeper than I expected.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I wasn't expecting it to have game dev tools... and 3D art tools... That's pretty awesome. Everything there looks great.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
First page sure has some hot takes haha, looks like a lot of fun for what it is

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Based on Fortune Magazine there's no online sharing function for the VR Labo Garage mode either.
I hope they reconsider.
They probably don't want to deal with the moderation issues, it looks like it would be pretty easy to build a swastika or a spunking cock into your levels, and if it lets you use stuff drawn in the elephant mask in your levels...Looking at the amount of asset reuse from the previous labo games they're probably trying to keep costs down as much as possible. It's a shame though, sharing levels would really elevate what is already a cool looking package.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
only good thing about this is the ideas which maybe a proper dev can steal to make a proper game for the other VR consoles.

That almost pokemon snappy one is sorta dope. I sorta want that. I loved pokemon snap.
I mean, sure, take ideas from Nintendo, by all means. Many of us have been waiting forever for someone to "steal" ideas from Endless Ocean or Pokemon snap. So far VR camera kit looks to be delving into a bit of Endless Ocean, so it's Nintendo taking from Nintendo right now.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do all the iterations of this require you to hold the thing to your face...?!

that seems like kind of a lame approach, they couldn't include some ski goggle type strap or something?

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK

that seems like kind of a lame approach, they couldn't include some ski goggle type strap or something?
The attachments are designed to be held though?

3max.jpg

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017

Offcourse they could, but this is aimed at kids and they dont want kids playing this too long,
so it's designed in way you play this in short bursts.