• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Everything doesn't to be on Netflix; the services I used were merely examples.

However, there does need to be content overlap. Notice how people were less miffed about services when there was overlap. Just like people go to Walmart, Target, and Best Buy to buy Apple products, content on streaming sites need to operate the same way. If you want to see most of the Apple products and accessories in one spot, you go to the Apple Store (or really, Amazon, but I digress), but if you want a sampling of some extras, you can go anywhere.

Pepper catalog across some neutral bases or you're going to see that less people than you expected are going to sub. The more they go for the exclusive fracturing thing, the only streaming service they're going to push people to is TeaTV and whatever they can get via pre-installed Kodi on streaming boxes.

I don't think this analogy makes any sense unless Netflix pays the company per view or something.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Given that this was the industry model three years ago, I don't see how it doesn't make sense.

It was the industry's model before everyone had their own service. What you're saying is more akin to Target paying through the nose for their own line of exclusives, then selling them at Walmart and everywhere else. It makes sense if Target doesn't have their own line of competing stores. I get that your example was Apple but that's more of a boutique thing, not everyone has easy access to their stores, and they provide an additional service for customers.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
And my point is that everyone doesn't need their own service.

This is true, and time will probably bear this out. However if you have your own service and you want it to be successful, you need to have your own exclusives (or be at a bargain price compared to your competitors) or you won't have a service for long.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if there weren't 20 different streaming services all holding shows people actually want to watch hostage, we wouldn't have this issue.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
This is true, and time will probably bear this out. However if you have your own service and you want it to be successful, you need to have your own exclusives (or be at a bargain price compared to your competitors) or you won't have a service for long.
And if everyone says fuck it and just pirates again, you won't have a service either.

Deleted member 64666

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 20, 2020
So after making entertainment products litterally worthless, they also are now trying to hide the fact that they can't retain audiences. These models are so toxic for the creators, and will eventually make the entire industry worthless as it is not sustainable. As a musician, I can't see how this is going to end well. Not sure about the film industry and these contracts pan out.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
No problem. Can wait until a show is finished, them sign up and binge it. Of course that's bad for these streaming companies but that's not my problem.
They'll bank on people suffering from FOMO and being spoiled to sub for the shows run. Obviously that won't impact everyone, but it's easily the best card to counter the "wait till it's all up for a one month sub" option.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
They'll bank on people suffering from FOMO and being spoiled to sub for the shows run. Obviously that won't impact everyone, but it's easily the best card to counter the "wait till it's all up for a one month sub" option.

That works for a ton of things, though, that need to see/experience something while it's "new" even though the solo experience is the same later on when it's much cheaper. First run movies in a theater, videogames at launch, videogame systems at launch, comic books, etc.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
It's why Disney is pouring such an ungodly amount of money into Disney+ content- you can't do this if there's big new stuff every week.

Pretty much. The goal is to have 2-3 new shows premiering every couple months.

This is why big budget movies on a streaming service doesn't make financial sense - if you have $200 million to spend on new content, you're going to spend it on multiple shows that span 6-8 weeks to keep subscribers, not a single 2 hour movie.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
No shit, why would anyone pay for something they don't use? For me, it doesn't matter if there are 3 or 20 different services. Even when Netflix was the only Streaming service I would cancel if there was nothing to watch.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
With Netflix going Cashflow positive for the first time this year i can't see how many streaming services would be able to compete. Maybe Disney and Apple(if they open the check book).

Netflix is gonna steamroll the industry even harder now that they aren't dependent on outside funding anymore.

steveovig

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the opposite problem in that I subscribe to stuff and then keep them long after I stop watching. I bought Peacock specifically for SNL re-runs, AP Bio, and some others and have barely watched any of it. I have ROH Honor Club, Impact Plus, Netflix, Hulu, Disney, and CBS, I believe, along with Sling. I only watch SNL on Hulu, at least new episodes anyways. My wife won't let me cancel Netflix or Hulu, even though she doesn't use Hulu much, and I don't use either much. All I watch is a few things on Sling, and lately, wrestling on Impact Plus. I have a problem.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The churn issue is a byproduct of too many of these stupid services. Consolidation would lead to more content per platform, which would improve retention. But of course, no one is going to do that, because everyone wants a piece of the pie.

Competition is good for the consumer, but the current situation is absurd. It really should shrink back down to 2-3 services.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
for smaller services i don't see this being an issue (apple/CBS/hulu have always felt title driven), i resub to shudder off and on as well depending on the catalog.

i did this with netflix but gave up because they add way too much content month to month,

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
This is how I treat them. Everything I want to watch is spread out over several services and I'm certainly not going to keep them all on the off chance simmering else grabs me.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
This was always happening, wasn't it? This is like the thing that separates streaming from cable.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
I have a feeling that only Netflix is capable of a constant flow of new content
My mon watches every day, and I go back from time to time

I have Amazon prime but only because is very cheap. I also have HBO Go, but this one I asked a friend to pay with me

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
No shit, why would anyone pay for something they don't use? For me, it doesn't matter if there are 3 or 20 different services. Even when Netflix was the only Streaming service I would cancel if there was nothing to watch.

Same here. The only service I don't cancel is Prime Video, and that's only because it's bundled with something I constantly use.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
That's the short term outlook though; the long term is different. If all these content providers are putting together their own service, they're not going to keep licensing out content to Netflix as a result because they're going to want to utilize it for their own service. The point is the content isn't always going to be on Netflix and this notion that Netflix has transitioned to making their own content isn't completely true because of how highly dependent they are on outside content providers even if the content has a Netflix Original label on it which is misleading. We've already started to see an exodus on content. Disney stuff is fading away because Disney is reclaiming all that for their own service. Disney+ is pretty much all content they own unlike Netflix. Shows like The Office are going to Peacock because Comcast/NBC/Universal is reclaiming that content for their own usage. CBS/Viacom/Paramount is growing and expanding their service. You can expect over time Star Trek content is going to be exclusively on their service and not licensed out if they expand to International markets.
Sure, but that is on Netflix (and the other services) to figure out, not me as a consumer. As long as Netflix has (more than) enough content for me as a viewer, I don't care how it gets there. I will subscribe to whatever services provide me the content I want, so they will need to continue to invest in themselves in order to keep subscribers. Over time, some will sign up and binge and others will simply stay subscribed. But as long as there is (new) content coming regularly there should be enough viewers to maintain it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but that is on Netflix (and the other services) to figure out, not me as a consumer. As long as Netflix has (more than) enough content for me as a viewer, I don't care how it gets there. I will subscribe to whatever services provide me the content I want, so they will need to continue to invest in themselves in order to keep subscribers. Over time, some will sign up and binge and others will simply stay subscribed. But as long as there is (new) content coming regularly there should be enough viewers to maintain it.

I didn't say it was on you as a consumer; I'm saying it's a problem that Netflix could face. My only point that is consumer facing is about how Netflix misleads their users to think they own more content than they do by labeling stuff as Netflix Original even though it's just licensed content and that they don't really own it.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I didn't say it was on you as a consumer; I'm saying it's a problem that Netflix could face. My only point that is consumer facing is about how Netflix misleads their users to think they own more content than they do by labeling stuff as Netflix Original even though it's just licensed content and that they don't really own it.
I don't really think it's misleading unless people are that naive that they think Netflix is producing all the content themselves. Until the content shows up on other services it is still a Netflix Original, whether they own the rights or are just licensing it fox x number of years or months.

As for it being a long-term problem, it's possible, but I think Netflix has positioned themselves well enough to have a healthy stream of new (or at least exclusive) content. Outside of Disney, I don't really see that many companies willing to pull their content exclusively into their own offerings, particularly if the churn is a real problem they fear.

stuckpixel

Dec 27, 2017
Currently paying $51.70 a month for seven different services:

Amazon Prime Video (Essentially free since we get Prime for other reasons) - hardly ever watch anything on it
Apple TV+ (free until July) — we never watch it
Peacock - Currently paying about ~8.25 a month after promo (need it for Premiere League soccer)
Netflix 19.56 a month - It's Netflix
Hbo Max - 13.05 a month - (HBO and DC content)
Cbs All Access 10.84 a month (Champions League Soccer)
Disney+ - subbed for three years so effectively free at this point (Marvel, Lucas content)

That still about $70 cheaper than what I used to pay monthly for DirecTV.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I for sure am part of this "problem". We sign up for HBO, watch what we want, then cancel. Perhaps giving people a reason to stick around should be part of the business model, eh?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think it's misleading unless people are that naive that they think Netflix is producing all the content themselves. Until the content shows up on other services it is still a Netflix Original, whether they own the rights or are just licensing it fox x number of years or months.

I think it is because the Netflix Original tagging distinguishes it and a lot of people think Netflix outright owns the content when they don't. There is a lot of content that people don't realize is licensed as a result. That's the definition of misleading.

As for it being a long-term problem, it's possible, but I think Netflix has positioned themselves well enough to have a healthy stream of new (or at least exclusive) content. Outside of Disney, I don't really see that many companies willing to pull their content exclusively into their own offerings, particularly if the churn is a real problem they fear.

Everyone is pulling their content now hence all these services. Companies are letting their streaming rights expire so they can reclaim their content. If Netflix isn't producing and owning enough of their own content and companies start restricting what they license out, that's a problem for Netflix. When you own your own content, you have complete control over it. Netflix is giving the illusion that they do when they don't on a lot of stuff. If this shift of movies from theatrical releases actually happens, that's just going to highlight Netflix's deficiency even more. This has always been a problem that Netflix has faced and they've acknowledge it as such. They need to control their own destiny by owning their own content so that they don't rely on the other content providers who now have their own services. I'm not saying they don't own anything, but I think the Netflix Original tag is certainly fooling enough people to think they own more than they really do.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I must be missing something. If someone cancels their subscription because they've watched everything they wanted, and the problem is that they don't subscribe back... how is making them unable to resubscribe a deterrent? :D

There may be some new show that drops and becomes a hit that they have to miss out on because they're banned from signing up again. I think it'd be a stupid thing to try, personally, but I was just throwing out the notion because it's what AMC and other theater chains did for their subscription services.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
As I predicted years ago...Just waiting for companies to force minimum contracts when signing up for streaming services. Or just charge a crap ton for a single month.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What do you suggest that's not "make unlimited good shows"?
I dunno. It's why I put "problem" in quotes. I don't know that there IS a fix for this.

You're not wrong, the content is great. But why would I continue pay for the service when I'm done with what interests me? I can always just start paying again when there's more things I'm ready to watch. It's shockingly convenient.

I think the business model lends itself well to people coming and going. Obviously holding onto customers is something they consider an issue, so they'll have to change something to keep people around if that's an objective.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is because the Netflix Original tagging distinguishes it and a lot of people think Netflix outright owns the content when they don't. There is a lot of content that people don't realize is licensed as a result. That's the definition of misleading.

Everyone is pulling their content now hence all these services. Companies are letting their streaming rights expire so they can reclaim their content. If Netflix isn't producing and owning enough of their own content and companies start restricting what they license out, that's a problem for Netflix. When you own your own content, you have complete control over it. Netflix is giving the illusion that they do when they don't on a lot of stuff. If this shift of movies from theatrical releases actually happens, that's just going to highlight Netflix's deficiency even more. This has always been a problem that Netflix has faced and they've acknowledge it as such. They need to control their own destiny by owning their own content so that they don't rely on the other content providers who now have their own services. I'm not saying they don't own anything, but I think the Netflix Original tag is certainly fooling enough people to think they own more than they really do.
They cannot simple let stream rights run, for many of the older shows, the have to pay royalties to the actors, etc. They need to pay a fair market price for the show even if they produced the show originally.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
They cannot simple let stream rights run, for many of the older shows, the have to pay royalties to the actors, etc. They need to pay a fair market price for the show even if they produced the show originally.

Nobody said they weren't valuating their content at market value in order to pay their contract obligations. That doesn't change the fact that content providers are letting contracts expire without renewing them in order to be able to now use that content to fill out their service. That is definitely happening.