• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This was always going to happen, and many people will have no recourse since they have a monopoly in the areas.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If that happens I guess I might as well switch over to at&t. I've been wanting fiber but didn't want to think about a data cap, so this would push me over.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
This was always going to happen, and many people will have no recourse since they have a monopoly in the areas.

This was always going to happen....TWO YEARS from now. They're trying to get out of an agreement they made in order to make the merger happen. They're supposed to be banned from data caps for another 2 years. It's part of the reason I dropped ATT which had stopped charging us data caps and went with Spectrum which provided more reliable service.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California
Sucks because Spectrum is like the only 'good' option here in the LA/South Bay area. Shits goes down constantly too. Fuck this shit.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Pai is a goddamn piece of shit so this is gonna fly most certainly. Fuck that guy, fuck the FCC, fuck American ISPs.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood data caps. What, are they gonna run out of internet? FUCK OFF.

Never had one, never will.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Fucking great, here there is two options, spectrum and quest, quest is only five Mbs so not even fast enough for netflix in HD. I have had spectrum for years and have had zero issues outside of the internet going out a couple times a year during really bad rain storms. I don't know what I would do with a data cap to be honest, everything I stream is in 4K and all my games are downloaded.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Damnit. I get 1gig speeds from Spectrum, but it's literally either Spectrum or AT&T, and AT&T only offers 75meg speeds. I really hate that our neighborhood has so few options. (Round Rock, TX)

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Oh hell no. The only option I have in my area is Spectrum and AT&T, which has a cap.
Same. If they imposed a cap then it's a choice between two ISPs that both have a data cap. I keep waiting for Google to build out in my area, but of course my parents neighborhood just got it. We're right on the fringe of town where the only other providers are just out of reach, one of which is a fiber provider. ATT managed to successfully keep Verizon FIOS out of town forever ago and the goddamned idiots in my city pitched a fit about noise and fiber huts to make Google slow down their construction plans.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking great, here there is two options, spectrum and quest, quest is only five Mbs so not even fast enough for netflix in HD. I have had spectrum for years and have had zero issues outside of the internet going out a couple times a year during really bad rain storms. I don't know what I would do with a data cap to be honest, everything I stream is in 4K and all my games are downloaded.
Spectrum will be happy to direct you to products and services that don't count towards their very generous data cap.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
This is absolute fucking bullshit for NYC.

First of all FIOS signed a contract with the city where no one else was allowed to put in fiber in exchange for the guaranteeing that every address would have fiber by 2016.

Well, FiOS decided they just didn't want to do that any more and broke the contract after getting like 50 percent of the city covered. And they got zero penalty for breaking the agreement.

So that basically leaves half of NYC with Spectrum as their only option. The only other service available to half the city is literally ISDN.

Now this? Seriously, fuck this shit. These assholes are criminals who should literally be in jail for breaking the law when they walked away from a contract which left half the city with no fiber or any viable alternative, allowing this to happen.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
These fuckers better not, they bought out bright house networks in Florida who as much as I hated wasn't the worst and now spectrum is my only option.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I went from Road Runner, to Time Warner, to Spectrum and I've never once experienced a cap in over 20 years. Gonna be a real shame if that shit starts this late in the game.

Where I'm located I don't have many choices outside of satellite or dsl. We've been dealing with Spectrum being complete fuckers since they took over Time Warner and if this happens I'm not sure what other choices I have.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Spectrum can go fuck themselves. The only other option I have is Frontier and they're making that switch easier for me.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
This fucking sucks. What also sucks is that I had no idea they were banned from doing it originally only until 2023. So in 2023 we are definitely getting data caps. FUCK

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Fucking cunts. I have Charter here in Madison and my only alternative is I think some AT&T dsl bullshit. So how easily can this shit be reversed/criminalized after Biden replaces A Shit Pie?

Imm0ralKnight

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I'm glad I just switched over to Verizon Fios. Cheaper, faster upload and download speeds and no data caps. Can't wait for the technician to install it next week and cancel Spectrum.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
Damn they're the last ISP in my area that doesn't have caps. This some bullshit.

Any word on 5G Internet providers? I know Verizon is giving some cities trial runs.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Just looked into it and yep there's absolutely jack shit else offered in downtown Madison except AT&T's fast and reliable 18Mbps. Not a single fiber provider. Fuck this monopolistic bullshit.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
Spectrum has lost my business. We were going to switch to them, as we get much slower DSL service (7 Mbps) from Frontier for the same introductory price as the 200 Mbps service from Spectrum. Spectrum is the only other ISP servicing our address that isn't satellite-based.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I have no other choice, Spectrum is my only option :(

Biden and the Democrats better win, bring back net neutrality and go a step further and regulate these BS data caps.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Well this is gonna suck. The only other options near me are AT&T and Frontier and both of them suck ass but have no data caps (for now).

May 21, 2018
They're asking to drop the clause as of May 2021. Here's hoping that when (if) the Biden administration is sworn in, they replace the Pai and stop this fuckery.

If this doesn't happen and Spectrum gets its way and there's an alternative available, I'm ditching them for someone else.

EDIT: Widespread 5G can't come soon enough.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous that for something so crucial to modern society, we're put in a stranglehold by grifters like these clowns. The Democrats have got to institute major reforms for ISPs that level the playing field and get rid of monopolies.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
Same city, same situation. It's either Spectrum or AT&T, and you know it's really bad when Spectrum comes out the winner. I pay $95/month for 400 Mbps, in Austin?!

We can't get fiber to the house, so that's as fast as we'll ever get until something changes.
Yeah, triple same. North Austin and I've lived in a few different places the last couple years and they've all either been exclusively spectrum or spectrum/at&t. Monopolies are fucked

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm supposedly supposed to have "high speed internet" with them and I can barely get 2-4 Mb/s download speed. When it works. Maybe they should fix that first instead of making their service actively worse.

My friggin university plan gave me 12-15 Mb/s and that was complementary!

Joco

Oct 29, 2017
Well this blows. Where I am in Wisconsin Spectrum is really the only game in town, my only other "options" are ATT DSL and satellite internet.

I had just decided I'd be going digital only for console gaming too. I might have to reconsider.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Well this blows. Where I am in Wisconsin Spectrum is really the only game in town, my only other "options" are ATT DSL and satellite internet.

I had just decided I'd be going digital only for console gaming too. I might have to reconsider.
Same here. And forget about keeping your CoD Warzone up to date.