• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Just saw this launch trailer pop up in my subscription feed:

The Japanese version will have a physical and digital release for Switch and PS4 while XBOX One seems to be digital only.

Here's some info on the Japanese physical release, including some first print run bonuses and store-exclusive bonuses:
https://la-mulana.com/jp/l2/consoles.php

As fans will know, the game came out on PC last year, but June 27th will be the game's console debut. Although the game came out in all regions simultaneously on PC, it sounds like the localized console release will come later: "It is going to take some more time to release console version 's LA-MULANA 2 outside of Japan. But, when the time comes, we believe we can bring another good news as well."

I'll be double-dipping on Switch, personally. I know some La-Mulana fans have been holding off until the console release, so there's hopefully only a few more months to go.

If you're unsure what La-Mulana is, here's a little blurb I wrote in my OT:
What is La-Mulana?

La-Mulana is a cult-classic metroidvania series that is as beloved as it is feared. In broad strokes, the game is an Indiana Jones-inspired ruins exploration game with old school gameplay. It began as an MSX-homage freeware game over a decade ago, and was later remade and released on WiiWare, PC, and Vita. Put another way, La-Mulana is a brutally difficult archaeology-themed puzzle platforming metroidvania exploration series. "Metroidvania" is a bit of a misnomer here, because while the games share some similarities to Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night, they are more directly inspired by the classic MSX title, Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious. La-Mulana's trademark features are its arcane and cryptic puzzles combined with its tight and challenging platforming and combat. Getting stumped is a frequent occurrence, and frequent backtracking is absolutely necessary. LM requires you to learn its many areas like the back of your hand in order to succeed. In order to progress you should take notes on conspicuous rooms and cryptic hints written on tablets scattered throughout the many areas of the game. Each area of the game is modeled after a different real-world civilization and features architecture, enemies, and lore that draw from their respective cultures. In true metroidvania fashion, over the course of the game you will uncover all manner of weapons, subweapons, new abilities, apps for your cutting edge MSX, and key items that are essential to solving puzzles, beating enemies, and progressing through the game. However, the most important tool to your survival will be your wits and your reflexes.

Last edited:

klez

Oct 31, 2017
hell yeah, will double dip for physical switch, just in time for an annual replay.

Edit: just saw that it's probably not a worldwide release. Oh well, just a confirmation of switch port is good enough for now.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
La Mulana 2 is a worse game than La Mulana 1 -- but it is still heads and shoulders ahead of games in the genre in terms of exploration, insane lore and music:

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
How do I find a mod to change the title? Never had to make that change before. Kind of embarrassing.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So glad Nigoro broke free from Nicalis.

I'm sure this'll sell great on Switch.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
La Mulana 2 is a worse game than La Mulana 1 -- but it is still heads and shoulders ahead of games in the genre in terms of exploration, insane lore and music:

i haven't played LM2 but am very familiar with the first (mostly the remake. i never beat that either...)
how exactly does it differ from the first? any spoilers are fine

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
i haven't played LM2 but am very familiar with the first (mostly the remake. i never beat that either...)
how exactly does it differ from the first? any spoilers are fine
La Mulana 2 has a lot of quality of life improvement over the first:
  • there is more aerial control (unlike 1 which had very Ghost and Goblins-like jump)
  • you can actually cling to ladders mid-jump -- sounds like an extremely minor thing -- but that is a watershed change from 1 which was specifically designed with player not being able to do that
  • game checkpoints you right before doing a boss. No more dying to a boss then traversing half a level to attempt it again.
  • La Mulana 2 has bestiary with a lit bit of lore added to each enemy. Before that only La Mulana 1 port on Vita had a Bestiary.
  • Item progression is somewhat different in 2. Beating a boss this time around gives you an item which is closer to more mainstream metroidvania game progression. La Mulana 1 gave you absolutely nothing for beating bosses instead hiding items and abilities needed for progression behind puzzles in the levels (which 2 does too, so that's the same).
  • The game overall is kinda unfinished -- but that's compared to 1 where MSX-like freeware game was developed over the span of 10 years and the remake had a long production as well with multiple releases. So no Hell Temple but that doesn't really matter to majority of people who don't even know what Hell Temple is, let alone attempt it, let alone beat it.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
They still owe me my physical versions of La Mulana 1 and 2 from the Kickstarter. (._. )

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
Will the NA release of this be physical as well, or is it just Japan? Debating whether I should be keeping an eye on import sites or not.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the first game, but overall, I think I prefer the sequel quite a bit. (And was easily my GotY.)

For one thing, it didn't feel as inscrutable, even though it had several moments where I was stumped. But in the first game, it felt laborious to the point that I'd rather just use a guide at times.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
They still owe me my physical versions of La Mulana 1 and 2 from the Kickstarter. (._. )
Tell me about it. They said on the backer forums last year to expect the physical rewards around the time of the console release so here's hoping we finally get them this summer at the latest.
Not nearly as good as the first one but still the second best metroidvania out there.
I agree that LM 1 and 2 are the best of the best. Have you played Rain World? Rain World is another masterpiece that I think could appeal to La-Mulana fans despite them being very different games. It pushes the envelope way more than most rote metroidvanias.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Good news, hopefully we'll get news about the backers rewards too!

LM1 is more memorable but LM2 is an amazing sequel, they achieved something great considering how they had to do something as good as the best metroidvania i ever played!

Oct 25, 2017
Hope more people get into this game because there has been almost zero coverage of it. Was easily my GOTY last year and while it might not reach the highs of the first game (the end-game in particular was very lacklustre) it was generally a better game.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Right on, loved the first one when I played it yeeeears ago. Will grab on Xbox when it makes it over.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I agree that LM 1 and 2 are the best of the best. Have you played Rain World? Rain World is another masterpiece that I think could appeal to La-Mulana fans despite them being very different games. It pushes the envelope way more than most rote metroidvanias.

Nope, but it's in the radar : )

Almost did some time ago, but got Ghost (from Unepic's dev) instead. Not a good decision at all haha.