• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Welcome, explorers, to the birthplace of humankind. Take care that it does not also become your grave.

LAMULANA-LG.jpg

Genre: Metroidvania puzzle platformer (less Super Metroid, more Maze of Galious)
Release Date:
Consoles: March 17, 2020 (US); March 20, 2020 (EU)
PC: July 30, 2018
Developer: NIGORO
Publisher: Playism (PC) & NISA (Console)
Platforms: PS4, Switch, XBOX One, and PC
Websites:
https://la-mulana.com
https://nisamerica.com/games/la-mulana
Price:
La-Mulana 1 (digital): $15
La-Mulana 2 (digital): $25
Hidden Treasures Edition (physical): $60

La-Mulana 1 and 2 are available for purchase on the digital storefronts on the aforementioned consoles (as individual purchases), but there is also a physical, special edition that includes both games called the Hidden Treasures Edition. This special edition is available for all consoles, though stock is limited. Note that the Hidden Treasures Edition is the only way to get physical copies of these two games on XBOX/PS4/NSW in the west.

91oyfQibrSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

FIRST AND FOREMOST: MARK YOUR SPOILERS, AND BE SPECIFIC ABOUT WHICH GAME AND AREA YOU ARE DISCUSSING WITHIN YOUR SPOILER TAGS

What is La-Mulana?

La-Mulana is a cult-classic metroidvania series that is as beloved as it is feared. In broad strokes, the game is an Indiana Jones-inspired ruins exploration game with old school gameplay. It began as an MSX-homage freeware game over a decade ago, and was later remade and released on WiiWare, PC, and Vita. Put another way, La-Mulana is a brutally difficult archaeology-themed puzzle platforming metroidvania exploration series. "Metroidvania" is a bit of a misnomer here, because while the games share some similarities to Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night, they are more directly inspired by the classic MSX title, Knightmare II: The Maze of Galious. La-Mulana borrows both its focus on exploration and its unusual jumping system from Maze of Galious, which features inflexible upward movement but free-moving downward movement.

La-Mulana's trademark features are its arcane and cryptic puzzles combined with its tight and challenging platforming and combat. Getting stumped is a common occurrence, and frequent backtracking is absolutely necessary. LM requires you to learn its many areas like the back of your hand in order to succeed. In order to progress you all but need to take notes on conspicuous rooms and cryptic hints written on tablets scattered throughout the many areas of the game. Each area of the game is modeled after a different real-world civilization and features architecture, enemies, and lore that draw from their respective cultures. In true metroidvania fashion, over the course of the game you will uncover all manner of weapons, subweapons, new abilities, apps for your cutting edge laptop computer, and key items that are essential to solving puzzles, beating enemies, and progressing through the game. However, the most important tool to your survival will be your wits and your reflexes.

What's new in La-Mulana 2?

Let me first give some story background on La-Mulana 1 in order to answer this question. In the first game, you play as Indiana Jones Lemeza Kosugi, a brilliant Japanese-American archaeologist who is constantly one-upped by his even more brilliant archaeologist father, Shawn Kosugi. One day, Lemeza receives a letter stating that his father has discovered the legendary ruins of La-Mulana, rumored to be the birthplace of civilization, and Lemeza immediately sets off after him. Over the course of the game, Lemeza uncovers the secrets of the ruins, and in the interim between the two games, one of the main NPCs turns the ruins into a tourist trap in order to cash in on the attention Lemeza's pursuits draw to the ruins. In La-Mulana 2, you explore the neighboring ruins of Eg-Lana, which are just as mysterious and perhaps even more dangerous than the ruins of La-Mulana. Furthermore, this time you play as Lemeza's daughter, Lumisa Kosugi.

Also, La-Mulana 2 runs on Unity unlike La-Mulana 1, and thus features many 3D assets which give the game a familiar but slightly more advanced look. La-Mulana 2 also features beautifully detailed in-game NPC portraits for the first time.

Do I need to play them in order?

You won't be completely lost starting with LM2, but you will miss out on a richer understanding of the world and the ways in which LM2 develops on LM1. LM1 is a brilliant game and a masterclass in stage and world design. LM1 is absolutely worth playing if you like the sound of old-school challenging combat and exploration married with obscure and arcane puzzles. Few metroidvanias have ever come close to the sprawling, intimidating world of La-Mulana, and the sense of discovery and accomplishment when you beat a tough boss or solve a puzzle that stumped you for days is unlike anything else.

What are the puzzles like?

The puzzles in La-Mulana are quite varied. Some are small and easily solved (though not many), while others are the sort of mind-bending puzzles found in The Witness or Fez that lead to startling revelations about how whole world works in some fundamental way. Many puzzles require you to interpret some background or environmental cues and objects that hint at puzzles. There are synthesis puzzles that require you to piece together lots of information from different places, apply some intuitive reasoning, and come up with a solution to a puzzle. There are also the more typical metroidvania "puzzles" that just involve seeing a route that clearly requires a new ability and then remembering to come back when you get the new ability, but those scenarios are kinda few and far between in La-Mulana -- half the time you get a new item and don't know what the hell to do with it! And other times the puzzles are more Zelda-like where it's just a matter of interpreting riddles and cryptic NPC hints, exploring and placing weights on dais (essentially replacing the lock and key system lots of puzzle-y games use), and figuring out how the different pieces of each area interact with each other. If you have played Maze of Galious (if you haven't, you really should -- NIGORO actually worked on a PC remake!), you'll have an idea of what to expect in La-Mulana, which just turns things up to 11.

Screenshots (spoiler warning for some areas and bosses!)

LM1:
0030563.jpg

LM1:
1-2.jpg

LM2:
La-Mulana2-8-1400x788.jpg

LM2:
jpg

Manual

Yep, La-Mulana has these. You can find the manual for the first game on this page, which is recommended reading for newcomers:
https://la-mulana.com/en/specials/download/

This is the new manual for LM2. It doesn't cover anything series vets don't know, but it's worth reading for newcomers.
https://la-mulana.com/en/manual/l2/pc/index.php

Rockin' tunes
La-Mulana is also well known for its killer soundtracks.

Fearless Challenger (LM1)
https://youtu.be/1X_sTyAIfjs

Grand History (LM1)
https://youtu.be/a7UulnIcuC0

Previous Adventure (LM2)
https://youtu.be/BEQSeA_QlKk

Important note to Kickstarter/playism backers still awaiting their rewards
It's possible that reward production and shipment has been slowed due to COVID-19, so we need to be patient. That said, I think we can expect our rewards before too long.

My old OT from the PC release two years ago:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/la...rely-curry-favor-with-new-curry-flavor.58500/

Good luck and godspeed, fellow explorers. Don't forget to pause and refuel every now and then. And don't forget to read your emails.

latest

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Switch version here.

La Mulana 1 is based on the Vita's EX version, with the actually marked hot springs and slight translation tweaks.
Has a scaled option, and a "Dot for Dot" option that gives you 1:1 (very small on Switch Lite hehe)

La Mulana 2 doesn't have any scaling options and seems to be a pretty straight port of the PC version, hopefully without bugs.

Supports Cloud Saves, and is one cartridge, and you select the game from a "Press A for LM1 or B for LM2" menu.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the first when it came to Steam years ago. Been waiting on this release to finally give 2 a try.

Gonna cop the bundle on Xbox, I think.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
La Mulana 1 is based on the Vita's EX version, with the actually marked hot springs and slight translation tweaks.
Has a scaled option, and a "Dot for Dot" option that gives you 1:1 (very small on Switch Lite hehe)
Is it? I booted it up and didn't have the bestiary so I just assumed it wasn't the EX version, but I couldn't remember what the other tells were.

OP
OP
1upsuper

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Nice OT!

La-Mulana is one of my favourite game of all time! Not for everyone but people should definitely try it!
Good to see you. You were there day one for the original thread, I believe.
Archeological Adventures, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Let these drumalicious beats (and curry) give you STRENGTH to carry on!

More people should get into LM for the music, if nothing else. It's so good. The original "MSX" soundtrack is great too.
Switch version here.

La Mulana 2 doesn't have any scaling options and seems to be a pretty straight port of the PC version, hopefully without bugs.

Supports Cloud Saves, and is one cartridge, and you select the game from a "Press A for LM1 or B for LM2" menu.
I won't have my copy until tomorrow so that's good to know. Really glad that they went with the EX version. The bestiary was a really nice touch and now more people will get to see it.

Edit: Oh, is the bestiary not there?
91oyfQibrSL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

correct retail promo with the proper final cover designs (same in eu/na) btw 1upsuper
Thank you! I updated the image.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Two fantastic and utterly gruelsome games that will bring you to wit's end many, many times over. If you're lucky and insist on not using any outside help, maybe you can hope to finish one of them by the end of the Corona lockdown.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, lovely OT. I only played a brief amount of the first on the Vita and am really excited to finally properly play these games.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hrrrrrnnnnggggg

This looks like something I'd LOVE to play on Switch, but I won't have time once Doom and Animal Crossing drop. And then Persona in two weeks...

Someday, I'll give these a go

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know there was a physical edition, now I'm close to pulling the trigger on it...hnnnnnnng.

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
I started to play this and got about 30 minutes into it before realizing it's not for me. The jumping and attack animations are too stiff and reminds me of Castlevania 1, which I'm not a fan of. Plus the dialog came off as a bit corny. I moved onto Timespinner and never looked back.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Own 1 on Vita but never played it. It's always advertised as really hard. For someone who has 107% Hollow Knight and platinumed multiple soulsborne game, how much harder should I be expecting? Games I listed are more patience based then Uber challenge base

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Own 1 on Vita but never played it. It's always advertised as really hard. For someone who has 107% Hollow Knight and platinumed multiple soulsborne game, how much harder should I be expecting? Games I listed are more patience based then Uber challenge base

What really makes these games hard isn't the combat, but the many puzzles. Those are the real meat of La-Mulana and can be downright impossible to solve.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Played an hour and a half or so of the first game (on switch) tonight with my partner, very overwhelming at first but we hit a breakthrough at one point and got up to the first gem (?) which feels like pretty solid progress. Super fun stuff. And the music & art are both great.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wanted a physical version of this, but without the extra goodies. Bums me out that NIS is taking this approach with some of their physical games now, by not offering a standard edition.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone wanna buy all the collector's edition crap for Switch except the game and case? Good lord it's gigantic. An art book but no strategy guide or manual? A JIGSAW PUZZLE? Please.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Are these the type of games you can reasonably solve on your own? If I'm just going to have to look up solutions constantly, that doesn't seem very fun.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Are these the type of games you can reasonably solve on your own? If I'm just going to have to look up solutions constantly, that doesn't seem very fun.
I beat both games before guides were really even around, so I can say with certainty that you can. The second one is a bit easier to negotiate than the first, but provided you just pay attention to everything and keep notes about the things you read, you should be fine.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Having played the PC version of LM2, I was not ready for the load times and the small hiccups in the Switch version. It's not game breaking (although the game freezing for like 2 frames during a precise jump killed me once), but I was not ready for that. Can't speak about ps4 and xbox versions, but if the ability to play on the go is not a priority and you have multiple consoles, they might be a better choice.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
For those venturing into La-Mulana and Eg-lana for the first time, I suggest these hint-based guides when you're stuck. They don't outright tell you the answers so you still feel pretty accomplished. It's needless to say that it's pretty normal to look for answers, specially for LM1 (feconding the womb comes to mind -_-)

LM1 : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=english&id=377234096

LM2 : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507017236

They're not very phone friendly because of all the hidden text, but they're otherwise very useful.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Still unclear on how those puzzles work in the context of a 2d platformer? More akin to an adventure game: using the right items in the right locations or giving them to the right characters?

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like stores don't have this or it's delayed because of shipping issues. Had it preordered, but they didn't know when it would come in

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Still unclear on how those puzzles work in the context of a 2d platformer? More akin to an adventure game: using the right items in the right locations or giving them to the right characters?

Using the right item in the right location is part of it, yes, but there's a lot more than that. You might have to complete rooms in a certain way (without jumping, for example), or you might have to hit a particular object that you didn't even know was an object the first time you saw it. The map layout is also part of the puzzle sometimes (it's hard to explain, but it appears very quickly in the first game) and is actually part of a major game-wide puzzle at the end of the game.

Oct 25, 2017

No, it isn't reasonable. I got through about 75% of LM2 without a guide, but there was just such a tremendous amount of total bullshit in the last quarter that I genuinely had difficulty believing anyone, literally anyone, had beaten the game totally solo and blind prior to launch. Any individual aspect of progression can clearly be found by a person by themselves, but any individual person finding everything alone is like 100 hour blind squirrel festival.

There's an ocean of difference between "almost" solo and 100% solo with no tips at all. The bugs and awful boss fights didn't help either.

There's definitely fun to be had, but I grew it loathe the game by the end. I'm like 98% done with the game but gave up because of how much I soured on it. I generally live this genre and wish more games were like it. I filled like 30 pages of a notebook with notes and maps. But sweet Jesus did the game totally fall apart in the final stretch.

Last edited:

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Well I've put these games off for far too long so will be jumping in totally blind (I did play something like 5 mins of the WiiWare release, tbf)

Will report back with how it goes.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
No, it isn't reasonable. I got through about 75% of LM2 without a guide, but there was just such a tremendous amount of total bullshit in the last quarter that I genuinely had difficulty believing anyone, literally anyone, had beaten the game totally solo and blind prior to launch. Any individual aspect of progression can clearly be found by a person by themselves, but any individual person finding everything alone is like 100 hour blind squirrel festival.

There's an ocean of difference between "almost" solo and 100% solo with no tips at all. The bugs and awful boss fights didn't help either.

There's definitely fun to be had, but I grew it loathe the game by the end. I'm like 98% done with the game but gave up because of how much I soured on it. I generally live this genre and wish more games were like it. I filled like 30 pages of a notebook with notes and maps. But sweet Jesus did the game totally fall apart in the final stretch.
oh lol.

I'm probably going to continue to pass on these games then. Thanks!

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nice OT 1upsuper !

More people need to play La Mulana.

Looking forward to get my hidden treasures edition in less than two weeks! I've been holding off replaying the games recently to enjoy them here.

Does someone know if the first game includes the changes made in the Vita version?

Oh that clarifies it. :)

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Some of my favorite games of all time. If you are looking to beat any of them without a guide buckle up and take tons of screenshots and keep a notebook handy.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Some of my favorite games of all time. If you are looking to beat any of them without a guide buckle up and take tons of screenshots and keep a notebook handy.
Even with a guide really. Lol. Still yeah. Favorites of all time here too.
Since I have to wait a bit more to get the games on PS4, I'm thinking of starting a randomizer run tonight.

edit: Wow, didn't know a randomizer existed for LM2.

Last edited:

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
First time player of La Mulana... I think I'm getting the hang of it??? I've collected a few stones that break those circular things, I'm able to swim under water, I've obtained 2 Ankh stones... idk. I'm about 2.5 hours in. I've been told that this game is utterly dastardly, but thus far I think I'm doing alright.

I still have no fucking clue what to do with the Ankh stones though, and one of the bosses I used almost all of my gun ammo on to defeat and now I have 1 bullet left, haha.

Any vets care to chime in? Any tips?

Oct 25, 2017
First time player of La Mulana... I think I'm getting the hang of it??? I've collected a few stones that break those circular things, I'm able to swim under water, I've obtained 2 Ankh stones... idk. I'm about 2.5 hours in. I've been told that this game is utterly dastardly, but thus far I think I'm doing alright.

I still have no fucking clue what to do with the Ankh stones though, and one of the bosses I used almost all of my gun ammo on to defeat and now I have 1 bullet left, haha.

This is in several spoiler blocks so you can just click to read as much as you want to learn; no real spoilers just mechanics explanation.
Most basic:
The Ankh Jewels unlock the boss fights; use it in the 'right spot' like you would any subweapon.
Slightly more in depth:
In every area you'll have a puzzle to find the Ankh Jewel, a red gem thingy, and then a puzzle to unlock the actual Ankh, which will be a cross which glows blue if you have a Jewel.

Other info:
The Ankh Jewels are NOT locked to the Ankh found in the same area -- You can get an Ankh Jewel from one area to fight a boss in another; additionally, it only really "consumes" it when you beat the boss (since using it immediately puts you in a boss fight.)

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Even with a guide really. Lol. Still yeah. Favorites of all time here too.
Since I have to wait a bit more to get the games on PS4, I'm thinking of starting a randomizer run tonight.

edit: Wow, didn't know a randomizer existed for LM2.

Have you been able to understand how to make it work? I've done 3 runs for LM randomizer (SO FUN), but last time I looked at the LM2 randomizer, it looked like I had to compile stuff in Visual Studio, which I don't have XD

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Have you been able to understand how to make it work? I've done 3 runs for LM randomizer (SO FUN), but last time I looked at the LM2 randomizer, it looked like I had to compile stuff in Visual Studio, which I don't have XD
Yup! I played about 2 hours. Started with the Feather being 50 gold in one of the surface shops lol.

It was really simple to set up. The github instructions for it worked flawlessly for me from a fresh Steam install.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019

The batshit insane stuff arrives later. Don't worry, the game deserves its reputation ;)

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
Yup! I played about 2 hours. Started with the Feather being 50 gold in one of the surface shops lol.

It was really simple to set up. The github instructions for it worked flawlessly for me from a fresh Steam install.

Ah, that's good to know. There was no such instruction when I tried a few months ago. I will give it a try after my second normal playthrough then. And yes, early feather is AWESOME, but it's also quite cursed because it means you might have to go to later areas earlier according to logic, and that can be quite challenging. I always "cheat" when I do a LM randomizer though. I want my hand scanner and holygrail as soon as I start.

Oct 26, 2017
I might get the physical edition for the Switch. I got stuck on Vita. Was hard as nails after unlocking that damn hard mode despite reading about how not to before.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ah, that's good to know. There was no such instruction when I tried a few months ago. I will give it a try after my second normal playthrough then. And yes, early feather is AWESOME, but it's also quite cursed because it means you might have to go to later areas earlier according to logic, and that can be quite challenging. I always "cheat" when I do a LM randomizer though. I want my hand scanner and holygrail as soon as I start.
I think there's no real way to put them anywhere else than real early in those cases. Or I got lucky. Zelpud gave me the hand scanner, and the scary shopkeeper gave me the grail.

GabriocheXD

May 27, 2019
I think there's no real way to put them anywhere else than real early in those cases. Or I got lucky. Zelpud gave me the hand scanner, and the scary shopkeeper gave me the grail.

In LM1 rando, I saw a runner get his grail after about 2 hours of playtime. It adds so much backtracking. It's a pretty good thing if LM2 randomizes them early on. It's not like ALTTP rando in which the flute is almost not necessary, since you can save and quit and restart somewhere else. Can't see myself backtracking that much, specially considering that the first time I played LM1, I hadn't read the manual and didn't know I had to scan the save points in order to warp to them.

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In LM1 rando, I saw a runner get his grail after about 2 hours of playtime. It adds so much backtracking. It's a pretty good thing if LM2 randomizes them early on. It's not like ALTTP rando in which the flute is almost not necessary, since you can save and quit and restart somewhere else. Can't see myself backtracking that much, specially considering that the first time I played LM1, I hadn't read the manual and didn't know I had to scan the save points in order to warp to them.
Lol yeah, it can be a bother, given that you also only have a handful of places to heal up.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Triumphs: 1 Guardian down. 2 more found, though only 1 ankh and pretty sure I can only damage one of them at the moment.

Dumbassery: Turns out you can swim so the water area is not as much of a wall as I initially thought.