• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
NIS America just confirmed that their publishing of NIGORO's compilation of LA-MULANA 1 & 2 will be out in mid-March. PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and Xbox One

US: March 17th
EU: March 20th
Oceania: March 27th

LGyf0a2.jpg

Preorders for their $59.99 collectors edition are still available through their online storefront.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
NICE!!! I sure don't need all this collector's edition garbage, it'd be nice for it to come with a strategy guide or something though, like, the one thing you actually need to play these games, instead of a goddamned puzzle.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Oh... I don't know why I thought this was January. Had my preorder on NISA Europe for a while now. Still very excited

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who tries to beat games on my own, I still have PTSD from the first one.

Also at this point there are like 30 games coming in March.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
La-Mulana is such an enigmatic series.

On one hand, I feel like the first game has a sort of mystical reputation as being a "really hard, really good Metroidvania." I know a lot of people in our community in particular have heard of it even if they haven't played it. The game's reputation as "really hard, really good" has carried its name pretty far and wide but the game is still rather underground. It doesn't feel like a game a lot of people have played even if it's a game a lot of people have heard of.

La-Mulana 2, which was a successfully kickstarted game, is so underground it doesn't have a Wikipedia article.

So for this series to see such a major release across all major platforms at once is a great opportunity for this legendary series to become more than legend and I hope it really takes off.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
La-Mulana is such an enigmatic series.

On one hand, I feel like the first game has a sort of mystical reputation as being a "really hard, really good Metroidvania." I know a lot of people in our community in particular have heard of it even if they haven't played it. The game's reputation as "really hard, really good" has carried its name pretty far and wide but the game is still rather underground. It doesn't feel like a game a lot of people have played even if it's a game a lot of people have heard of.

La-Mulana 2, which was a successfully kickstarted game, is so underground it doesn't have a Wikipedia article.

So for this series to see such a major release across all major platforms at once is a great opportunity for this legendary series to become more than legend and I hope it really takes off.
The series is weird I really like it and have played and finished 2 I just find it hard to actually recommend to people because it is quite tough and a lot of that being the puzzle aspect.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Pretty much. It's one of the games I got because of the word of mouth on GAF. Maybe NintendoLife also had some influence, tho.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Bonus points if the jigsaw puzzle has one piece that can only be found if you cut through the lining of the box.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Never played the games, but as Finale Fireworker said, its definitely a legendary series despite being ultra cult. That trailer sold me 10 times over despite always wanting to play it, I mean damn. Gorgrous spritework+amazing music+cheesy as fuck 90s trailer slogan is a winner in my books. Bring on Indianavania.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Despite being a backer, already got my switch collector edition pre-ordered! One of my favourite game of all time

Man, can't wait to replay this again! Beat La-Mulana 1 multiple time, even with a randomizer, and beat La-Mulana 2 two times

Altough march is really a bad move... and lol that trailer isn't good compared to the previous ones, seriously NISA?

Oct 25, 2017
I have both LM games in my steam library. Only LM1 was completed, but I dropped LM2 for the time being because it was very difficult to progress without the correct guide.

And I'm still waiting for the progression guide for second ones but it seems nobody is going to make it anymore because its lack of popular game. :(

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I have both LM games in my steam library. Only LM1 was completed, but I dropped LM2 for the time being because it was very difficult to progress without the correct guide.

And I'm still waiting for the progression guide for second ones but it seems nobody is going to make it anymore because its lack of popular game. :(

you should be able to find the solution of any puzzles you want on the steam discussion... Or join a discord of it and ask for help! Nothing is really stoping you! At worst wait for march when new people will be doing it and ask in the OT

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I guess the CE is the only physical edition? I'd rather not pay extra for a jigsaw puzzle. :P

Been wanting to play the second one for a while. Played quite a bit of the first one but I always end up lost somewhere.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I'd really love for Nigoro to get the MSX-styled original in working shape, since it's a slight hassle to play on PC. Would make a great inclusion to this!

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit of the first game on pc and loved it. My favorite experience was when I turned on hard mode by accident lol

Dec 6, 2017
US
Always super curious about this series but always see people talk about guides and...that sounds not good. What exactly makes it so damn hard? Trying to see if it'd be a difficulty for me or rather not.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Always super curious about this series but always see people talk about guides and...that sounds not good. What exactly makes it so damn hard? Trying to see if it'd be a difficulty for me or rather not.

Cryptic puzzles with text scattered around the map that help you solve them, that's my favourite part of the game really! It's beatable without a guide but it's really hard! I beat la-mulana 1 in like 65-70h without using a guide except for like 2 puzzles!

Beat la-mulana 2 in 55h without a guide (did it on release so there wasn't any)

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Calling these games Metroidvanias is almost too reductive. There's platforming and combat upgrades across a sprawling labyrinth, but the real meat is in their logic puzzles. It's like if Castlevania and Myst had a baby.

Oct 25, 2017
you should be able to find the solution of any puzzles you want on the steam discussion... Or join a discord of it and ask for help! Nothing is really stoping you! At worst wait for march when new people will be doing it and ask in the OT
I did, like a couple of times I went there and LM2 discussion does have a plenty of guides that I can look up, but none of them seem to be very active/update anymore. It just..."dead" atm. Even I once posted there and ask for more suggestions, and no reply back.

And no, I haven't yet tried with discord, you have the link for it?

TK_Shrodes

Sega of America
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
San Mateo, CA
Never played the games, but as Finale Fireworker said, its definitely a legendary series despite being ultra cult. That trailer sold me 10 times over despite always wanting to play it, I mean damn. Gorgrous spritework+amazing music+cheesy as fuck 90s trailer slogan is a winner in my books. Bring on Indianavania.

Thank you! This trailer in particular had to go through several major revisions, so we're glad it found its fans.

Is it too telling that I wasn't aiming for a cheesy catch copy?

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Thank you! This trailer in particular had to go through several major revisions, so we're glad it found its fans.

Is it too telling that I wasn't aiming for a cheesy catch copy?
If you didn't aim for something cheesy its still neat, I miss trailers doing stuff like that. Good job overall, like I said I already wanted to play the games for years now but the trailer showed some real heart and told me right away that its worth the cash.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Both games are fantastic. However, La-Milan's 1 gets quite hard (in the puzzle sense) near the end. I did not require a guide for La-Mulana 2 end game, even if it was still hard, because the puzzles were less obtuse.

People who have never played shouldn't feel to be gatekeep by the high difficulty, and should give it a try!

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The soundtrack is a neat bonus for such underrated composers.

Calling these games Metroidvanias is almost too reductive. There's platforming and combat upgrades across a sprawling labyrinth, but the real meat is in their logic puzzles. It's like if Castlevania and Myst had a baby.

Yup. They're from an older eon, rechristened "Archeological Adventure", like 80s old.

AKA: "Oh, you didn't take notes and screenshots from word 'go'? Oops." Saying "archaeological" fixes that.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I did, like a couple of times I went there and LM2 discussion does have a plenty of guides that I can look up, but none of them seem to be very active/update anymore. It just..."dead" atm. Even I once posted there and ask for more suggestions, and no reply back.

And no, I haven't yet tried with discord, you have the link for it?

here you go :

Status
Not open for further replies.