• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The ending makes the movie

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't remember any of the lyrics to any of the songs a few days after I watched it in the cinema, so as a musical I found it rather poor. As a film it was "fine", but nothing special.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
No moonlight tho

(actually i don't really know i haven't watched la la land, just making a joke about the oscars)

Last edited:

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't love it as much as a lot of people do, but I do think the ending is great

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
I had absolutley zero interest in watching it, but one day it came on TV and I was sucked in. I'm not a fan of musicals at all, but this is a delight to watch and re-watch.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
Love it as well and seen it numerous times. As well as listened to the soundtrack a bunch. Definitely in my top ten movies. Gosling and Stone are just great together.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I did not like the ending no sir. They should have ended up together.

I get that's the whole point but it upset me. I just want happiness.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind the movie so much, but I remember being really let down with the songs. Specially with the singing. As far as I remember, all songs apart from one are sung in that soft breathy way and they never pick up or go anywhere.

Personally, it wouldn't even make my top 20 of best musicals.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I really struggle with most movie musicals but this is a great film for people who don't like musicals.

Ironically most of my friends who like musicals didn't like it.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
The ending is the only thing about it that was great the rest of the movie was pretty hollow. I overall thought it was an okay to good movie but it rightfully lost the Oscar to a far more deserving movie.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
It was one of my favorite movies of 2016. Man, that ending made my cry the first time I saw it. I'm also a sucker for musicals, and this one delivers for sure.

That said, I liked Moonlight so much more that it isn't funny. La La Land is also not going to age gracefully in some aspects (especially how white the white guy tries to explain John Legend what Jazz is, hah).

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who doesn't normally like musicals, I was shocked by how much I loved this film. The cinematography, music, acting, everything was just perfect.

And as good as Moonlight is, La La Land deserved Best Picture.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I just disliked the main characters so very, very much.

It wasn't Gosling and Stone, I like them. But man.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I just disliked the main characters so very, very much.

It wasn't Gosling and Stone, I like them. But man.
This is where I was as well. I'm sure if you engaged with the characters it was an enjoyable film but i just found them both a little irritating and i couldn't get into it.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it twice in theaters. What an experience. 1st time was with me and my now wife. 2nd time I took my girl again, my brother, my mom, my dad, my grandma, and some family friends. Paid for them all. It was on the same day of the academy awards. Let's just say I got everyone rooting for it during the awards
Okay, I'm gonna ask.... what was the rollercoaster of emotions when it was announced as the "winner" for Best Picture?

Nov 21, 2019
It's fun. I got the chance to watch a La La Land in Concert where they had an orchestra playing the score while the movie was playing. Great experience.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
Hate coming into threads like these and being a party pooper but I also find the movie/main characters insufferable. I do love that solo piano piece that's currently tiktok viral tho. I get what they tried to do, the callbacks to the golden days, the whiteness, the hetero-ness. The colors of the film are beautiful tho, I used them to show off Dolby Vision...

I also saw the movie after Moonlight around when they came out tho too so... as far as love stories go, and after the awards debacle, feels like picked a side, lol.

I tried giving it another go just a few days ago actually and I couldn't get through it sorry. Glad y'all like it tho, I know it makes people really happy

I'm with you on this one.
I guess the main characters being self-absorbed and all about their career was kind of the point? But the movie failed to convey that point properly.

It's like they tried making a grandiose love story out of it, but that love story could have succeeded without a problem if it was real. They just gave up for no reason at all, at least it looked like that to me. Dunno, the movie is basically neoliberalism 101, abandon everyone/everything to follow your dream of being successful because money and fame are the most important things in the world. Literally no emotions whatsoever.

Moonlight is one of the best movies ever and it blows La La Land out of the water.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I thought it was pretty disappointing and felt really phony toward the end.

Another Day of Sun is a pretty good dance number and song though.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
I really really liked the movie when it first came out. Especially loving musicals.

With each rewatch, I like it less.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
It was one of my favorite movies of 2016. Man, that ending made my cry the first time I saw it. I'm also a sucker for musicals, and this one delivers for sure.

That said, I liked Moonlight so much more that it isn't funny. La La Land is also not going to age gracefully in some aspects (especially how white the white guy tries to explain John Legend what Jazz is, hah).

That's very deserved criticism of Goslings character. But the movie also has Legends character (deservedly so) putting him in place by calling him a pain in the ass and telling him Jazz doesn't need saving, especially by him as such a traditionalist. Which Legends character goes on to prove by making his band hugely succesful.

Last edited:

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
It's cute but I felt It was unimpressive next to something like "The greatest showman" which came out the next year, was also nominated for an oscar (which coco won). TGS actually got me downloading the soundtrack immediately after.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Too many lulls in the movie IMO, only really like ~60% of the movie. The ending and opening are amazing though.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Hate coming into threads like these and being a party pooper but I also find the movie/main characters insufferable. I do love that solo piano piece that's currently tiktok viral tho. I get what they tried to do, the callbacks to the golden days, the whiteness, the hetero-ness. The colors of the film are beautiful tho, I used them to show off Dolby Vision...

I also saw the movie after Moonlight around when they came out tho too so... as far as love stories go, and after the awards debacle, feels like picked a side, lol.

I tried giving it another go just a few days ago actually and I couldn't get through it sorry. Glad y'all like it tho, I know it makes people really happy

Hah, yeah, I definitely think there's an element of this. It's hard to watch Moonlight and not think of them as competitive in some regard, and obviously Moonlight is the far superior film.

Also La La Land is easily Chazelle's worst project. Whiplash, First Man and the Eddy are all far superior.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
My family was disappointed in it, and we love musical movies. It just didn't click with us. I liked it the most of my family and just didn't love it as much as I hoped.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
That's very deserved criticism of Goslings character. But the movie also has Legends character (deservedly so) putting him in place by calling him a pain in the ass and telling him Jazz doesn't need saving, especially by him as such a traditionalist. Which Legends character goes on to prove by making his band hugely succesful.

While you are correct, the film very clearly frames Gosling being right and Legend being wrong/a sellout.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Loved it. I also love the combo of Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling.

Remember when the biggest drama about it was Gosling's arm on the poster?(tap scene)

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I absolutely loved the movie, the soundtrack was incredible and it was just a visual treat with amazing character dynamics between Ryan and Emma.

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
While you are correct, the film very clearly frames Gosling being right and Legend being wrong/a sellout.

Euh, I wouldn't say 'very clearly'. Mostly, perhaps? Gosling and Stone are the main characters so that automatically makes them seem 'right'. But Goslings character got fired several times because he was too stubborn to just play 'the damn music' in the restaurant. Stone had to talk him out of naming his future jazz cafe Chicken on a stick, and not doing it in the old jazz bar I forgot the name of. It's mentioned several times how his stubbornness and general pain in the ass-ness and desire to 'save jazz' isn't working. Gosling even admits to Legend that he is in fact a pain in the ass. I agree that the movie could've spent more time on the fact that Legend doing his thing with the band was great, it just wasn't what Gosling wanted. And in the end Gosling came around from his whole 'saving jazz' sing by remarking how it was great that his bar Seb's was doing 'just okay'.

Chazelle plays a bit with the fact that his main characters aren't 'right', even though you mostly see their point of view. Tellers behavior in Whiplash definitely wasn't healthy. And though he was an ass to the girl he met, and to his family, they really weren't wrong. Tellers character was just being an obsessed, egotistical ass who we sort of come to see as right because he's the main character. The same thing goes for Gosling's character. I just also think he's very charismatic, and despite being an ass very likable. And he grows a bit during the movie.

But yeah, I don't entirely disagree with you, and the fact a lot of people full out agree with you shows you definitely have a point.

I just realized I said ass a lot in this post. Ah well. Ass.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason, I have been avoiding this for years, despite being a huge fan of Goose and Chazelle.

I really can't deal with musicals at all.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
It was pretty good, but didn't hold up that well to a rewatch for me. Don't really have a desire to revisit it again.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
It's one of my favorite films of the decade. It's not a genre I typically enjoy, but it enthralled me. It's absolutely gorgeous in every way possible.

Compared to Whiplash, I liked La La Land a lot more.

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a fun time but I don't think Chazelle will ever top Whiplash. It's his masterpiece.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
abandon everyone/everything to follow your dream of being successful because money and fame are the most important things in the world.

Oof you're rather off the mark on this one. It's about how following your passions can come at a price. In this case the price was the relationship.

On a side note, I kinda like how souls kinda asks a similar question and gets to a different answer.

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
It's cute but I felt It was unimpressive next to something like "The greatest showman" which came out the next year, was also nominated for an oscar (which coco won). TGS actually got me downloading the soundtrack immediately after.

Oofffff no no no no, the greatest showman was average at best. Admittedly, alot of my friends would agree with you though

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
As this thread proves the main problem with La La Land is that it will always be compared to Moonlight, and it ain't winning that fight. It's interesting how the two films are total opposites in so many ways.