• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nakho

Nov 1, 2017
That would be insane here. It' 30-35 C all year (80-90 F, I guess?). I ain't gonna install an AC for my home office.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
There's something inherently grounding about the daily ritual. I won't even consider punching the virtual time clock until I'm showered, shaved and fully dressed. This includes shoes — especially shoes — even if I don't intend to leave the house. (If I do end up breaching the perimeter, there's an elaborate protocol involving a second pair of shoes and a period of porch quarantine).

Here, lemme get those for you

$_3.JPG

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with him to a degree, the lines between when im working and not working are so blurred now i feel like getting dressed helps separate that.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
"Continue to be a corporate drone and boomeresque vision of productivity and responsibility while the world crumbles around you"

Is what this should say

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles is not a city for traditional business attire. THIS CLOWN DOES NOT REPRESENT US NY-ERA WE LOVE YOU

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
Only if writer agrees to wash my clothes at their place.

No one even dresses up at my office job even for the Skype video call management meetings.

karl's wood

Jan 15, 2019
I've worked from home for almost a decade at this point and getting dressed, even if it's just throwing on jeans and a T-shirt, helps me concentrate and get in a writing frame of mind. Other writers I knew would always get weirdly defensive about me doing it.

I just don't like the feeling of baggy clothing.

The guy writing that article is a total dick though. Who gives a shit what people wear at home?

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You telling me that none of you have felt the sweet release of working in your house whilst naked !??

Riboflavin

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
You shouldn't have to be told not to wear cargo shorts.

No, ERA, "GameStop Chic" is not acceptable adult wear.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I was wearing a tank top during our last WebEx. Fuck it. I can't even get a haircut or a new foil for my electric razor right now. The hell I'm going to iron a Polo shirt and some khakis for a 20 minute meeting.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Oh for christ's sakes, fuck off.

One of the things that this quarantine+contingency has taught me, is that being furloughed + having low but enough money to buy food and pay for services and facing the possibility of my loved ones dying, it's making me less anxious and nervous than the four years I have been at my office. I don't know if I'm going back to work, but I'm sure as hell not gonna feel sad if I get kicked out and get a lower paying job, anything but there.

I think I found the balance of "I need just this to have a comfortable way of living", and certainly draining myself in a fucking office isn't the way for me and I'm finding a way to freelance and be my own boss. Go fuck yourself with the "be an adult and dress like one". Of course, I'm grateful to have a lot of safety nets that a lot of people don't have, but I just can't stress enough how happy I am for not being in that fucking job right now.

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
You're right L.A. Times, I am an adult and as such I will dress however the hell I want when I am working from home where no one sees me. I will dress appropriately as the situation calls for it.

Waking up, eating breakfast and moving to my couch to work on my computer and make phone calls is not a situation that calls for me to wear a dress shirt, slacks and dress shoes, unless video confrencing with my employees or partners.

(I also run my company from my home half of the time anyway so shelter at home orders haven't changed my schedule too much but, I digress)

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna guess that the author doesn't have kids, or if he does, he has someone dedicated to caring for them while he works.

My wife and I both work full time and we have two kids under the age of four. We spend our entire day passing kids back and forth so we can make time to do our jobs. Don't tell me what you think I have time to do.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't have to be told not to wear cargo shorts.

No, ERA, "GameStop Chic" is not acceptable adult wear.
"Acceptable adult wear" when the audience for this stupid article are people staying home and only seeing people through hard to see Zoom or Teams chat windows. I think I'll wear whatever and people like Adam can F right off while thinking that dressing well is somehow important during a pandemic that has claimed over 150k lives.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
This is really, really stupid. Needing to dress up for work in a non-public facing position serves no point as is.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
No need to dress up but at least wear something different. The ritual and different feel of clothing helps separate your life from your job.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the one meme about "the internet killed journalism so now we have to pump out shitty emotion triggering headlines to get your clicks"? Cause it sure seems to apply here

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
People out here dying, and this dude crying about wearing house clothes in the middle of a pandemic when people are effectively unable to leave their homes except to shop.