• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Article

Los Angeles Unified school police officials said Tuesday that the department will relinquish some of the military weaponry it acquired through a federal program that furnishes local law enforcement with surplus equipment. The move comes as education and civil rights groups have called on the U.S. Department of Defense to halt the practice for schools.

The Los Angeles School Police Department, which serves the nation's second-largest school system, will return three grenade launchers but intends to keep 61 rifles and a Mine Resistant Ambush Protected armored vehicle it received through the program.

L.A. Unified is one of at least 22 school systems in eight states that participate in the program, which provides law enforcement agencies with the extra military-grade gear at no charge.

More so that this even happened, just shows how fucked the situation is all around.

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
With all the school shootings that happen in the U.S. I'm fine with keeping the rifles. I'm not sure why they need an armored vehicle for though.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
Jimmy is skipping class again. Better fetch the APC and grenade launchers.

The gall to call this 'lifesaving' equipment. These people just want to RP as the armed forces. Like, they'll be some Seal Team 6 shit without you know... any of the actual training. But hey, they can afford buy the toys at least.

Last edited:

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Certainty beats the shotgun purchase I've seen for school police and a bunch of squad cars.

Oct 27, 2017
That thread title is the most absurd thing I've read all day. It's just so unbelievable that A. There are school police and B. They apparently need military grade weaponry. What in the fuck lol.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well that's just ridiculous

Why would they return the grenade launchers

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why do school mall cops need rifles? Let alone any of this stuff? Sell it all, get police out of schools, and invest in the kids instead. Decent lunch food would be a start.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Any dumbass who says the military equipment is "donated" and hence "free" are dumbasses because it's not free on the administraive side, not free on the reception side, not free on the storage side, not free on the security side, not free on the training side, not free on the usage side, not free on the maintenance side, not free on the disposal side.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The grenade launcher actually makes more sense as it can be used to fire tear gas grenades or beanbags. Not that you need those for policing schools (or policing in general) though.

No idea what the fuck they kept the armored vehicle for other than to feel like they have the biggest dicks in the world.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I fail to see how some police departments aren't living a fantasy of being a heavily armored gang meant to enforce their will on the public. Like when the fuck does any cop need a grenade launcher? What fucking problem can a cop handle with that??? What problem is so important that they need a grenade launcher to solve and what problem is so big that the military can't be called instead? Are they that scared of when grandma Jwalks?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but how do they expect school police to do their jobs of keeping people safe if they aren't allowed to have tactical thermonuclear devices?

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
Oh! Ohh fuck...I totally thought this was referring to police school not actual K-12 school. My brain literally had the absurdity filter on for the one.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
Wait. Hold on.

Your schools have their own police (surely not) and they have their own grenade launchers (why?)..........and armoured vehicles?

simplayer

Oct 27, 2017
Why are there school police forces, let alone police officers embedded in schools. Like, what the fuck America