• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

Just a month ago, Los Angeles County and the rest of California celebrated a long-awaited reopening, marking the tremendous progress made in the battle against COVID-19 by lifting virtually all restrictions on businesses and other public spaces. Now, the coronavirus is resurgent, and the nation's most-populous county is scrambling to beat back the pandemic's latest charge.

Starting Saturday night, residents will again be required to wear masks in indoor public spaces, regardless of their vaccination status.
The latest order not only puts the county further at odds with both the California Department of Public Health and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — both of which continue to maintain that vaccinated people need not cover their faces indoors — but puts officials in the precarious position of asking the inoculated to forfeit one of the benefits recently enjoyed.
Officials have stressed that those who have been inoculated have an excellent chance of being protected, even from the easily spread Delta variant, believed to be twice as transmissible as the conventional coronavirus strains. Between Dec. 7 and June 7, the unvaccinated accounted for 99.6% of L.A. County's coronavirus cases, 98.7% of COVID-19 hospitalizations and 99.8% of deaths.
L.A. County's rise in community transmission has accelerated dramatically since California fully reopened on June 15. For the weeklong period that ended that day, L.A. County averaged 173 new coronavirus cases a day. For the seven-day period that ended Wednesday, the county's average was 1,077 new cases a day. On Thursday, the county reported 1,537 additional cases.
www.latimes.com

L.A. County will require masks indoors amid alarming rise in coronavirus cases

Faced with a rise in coronavirus cases, L.A. County will again require residents to mask up in indoor public spaces — regardless of vaccination status.

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for all the crazy videos we will get out of this when people are denied entrance.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i'm glad i had my final day yesterday fuck having to deal with this i can already imagine all the shit customers

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
TX on the other hand will probably ban people WITHOUT guns into buildings.

"This is a gun only zone sir."

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
This was expected tbh. I never stopped wearing mine. Can't wait for all the anti-mask people to make a big deal about this.

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
Man...I'll comply with the new order but I've really enjoyed finally ditching the masks since I got my jabs back in March.

Really not looking forward to making people comply at work again. I hate not knowing how people are going to react when I approach them.

PunchyMalone

May 1, 2018
I wonder if they're gonna start limiting the number of people that can enter businesses at some point.

After how crazy and shitty the past few weeks have been at my restaurant, I miss being at 50/75% capacity.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Honestly, good. I don't think LA County needs it (to lazy to look) but it's good that they're doing what they can to reduce the spread of Covid, given the limited data about the vaccine effectiveness regarding the Delta variant and any potential future variants as well as the fact that children still can't get vaccinated

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we need to develop a system that verifies with certainty that people are vaccinated, and then all businesses should require vaccination.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Now we go back to hearing a bunch of people act like having to wear a mask indoors at businesses is the hardest shit for them to do.....it isn't hard to wear a mask indoors during a pandemic and if you're being told it's required by those with more information at hand for their local area than you then just suck it up and do it.

To be clear I'm not talking about antivax idiots but those who are of the opinion that "I'm vaccinated so fuck everyone else who isn't" while ignoring that a bunch of kids and vulnerable people with immune issues aren't vaccinated and while the death rate is lower that doesn't mean it's ok to bitch about taking basic steps to lower the risk for them and not gamble others lives on the fact they only have a small chance of getting something badly because of their age etc even if you want to get back to normal, things are not in anyway normal right now and acting like we just have to live with the virus while a bunch of people aren't even able to get the protections of a vaccine yet is selfish as fuck to put it mildly.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I was in LA county yesterday. Obviously hella people inside and outside not masked. Gonna be interesting to see if this new ruling changes anything for individual businesses. I kinda doubt it does.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
dont mind masks in the winter but man the masks when its hot and humid outside are miserable. But people wont get vaccinated so this is life

Dec 12, 2017
Now we go back to hearing a bunch of people act like having to wear a mask indoors at businesses is the hardest shit for them to do.....it isn't hard to wear a mask indoors during a pandemic and if you're being told it's required by those with more information at hand for their local area than you then just suck it up and do it.

To be clear I'm not talking about antivax idiots but those who are of the opinion that "I'm vaccinated so fuck everyone else who isn't" while ignoring that a bunch of kids and vulnerable people with immune issues aren't vaccinated and while the death rate is lower that doesn't mean it's ok to bitch about taking basic steps to lower the risk for them and not gamble others lives on the fact they only have a small chance of getting something badly because of their age etc even if you want to get back to normal, things are not in anyway normal right now and acting like we just have to live with the virus while a bunch of people aren't even able to get the protections of a vaccine yet is selfish as fuck to put it mildly.
My only argument is that in places like a bar or movie theater, I really am not for masks when vaccinated. Because they're non essential and if you were really worried about you and loved ones, you wouldn't be there in the first place.

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, good. I don't think LA County needs it (to lazy to look) but it's good that they're doing what they can to reduce the spread of Covid, given the limited data about the vaccine effectiveness regarding the Delta variant and any potential future variants as well as the fact that children still can't get vaccinated

LA county is at 1,000 new cases a day for the past few days, with the 6th highest infection rate, and 8th Highest "New cases per 100k individuals" in the state per: https://covidactnow.org/us/california-ca/county/los_angeles_county/?s=2046966

So not the worst but it's getting there.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
*sigh* This is making me regret the Halloween Horror Nights trip my partner and I planned (and paid for) with some friends for this fall. Florida is going to be a shitshow.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I really don't yet why every jurisdiction's plan seems to be "we'll do the thing that everyone else already tried, failed, and reversed, but this time it'll work for us because we're special somehow".

KillerAJD

Oct 25, 2017
Work for a county in Northern California, and we literally just got guidance today that masks are no longer needed indoors on County campuses if you're vaccinated. Was surprised (in a good way) that we had extended our mask mandate for as long as it lasted. Did find it interesting that at the end they noted they were following news on the additional variants, so we'll see about that I guess.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CDC, Biden and fauci are fucking up with the mask messaging. Lifting mask requirements was the dumbest shit you can do

They went way too early on that messaging. There are still so many unvaccinated people and now everyone, regardless of vaccination status, is walking around maskless. What a lot of us predicted would happen has happened. And it was all to drive the economy...

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I have not been happy with how the CDC rolled out guidance. It has all felt like incentives to push vaccination rates without being realistic of the behaviors of those who have not sought vaccines, which has made those who are listening to the concerns of public health experts feel on edge - almost as if there are two Americas.

I think there are definitely cities and areas with great vaccination and COVID rate results, but not enough, THEN ADD A NEW VARIANT. Guidance saying, "if you are vaccination you do not need to wear a mask" is poor guidance and poor leadership.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
User Banned (1 Month): Trolling With Regard to Masks; Prior Ban for the Same
Public officials: "Go get the vaccine and we can all get back to normal"

Also public officials: "LOL sike your vaccine is worthless."

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
If the CDC says its ok, it's ok!

The same CDC people believed last year, but stopped believing once they made guidance that said people didn't personally like?

Mask wearing is perfectly fine and a great idea in many circumstances, but someone can't just say they trust the experts, but stop when they don't like the message.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
It will be interesting to see if it helps. Maybe I'm cynical but I have to imagine 1. there's going to be a lot of resistance and stores don't want to enforce it again 2. that most of these people are probably catching it and spreading it around at private venues where they wouldn't be wearing masks anyway.

Someone was saying that LA county is so dense and large that their unvaccinated population is larger than that of multiple states despite having a higher than average vaccine rate overall. Wild when you think about it.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Thank fucking goodness. My coworker got COVID and I'm getting tested. Bunch of unvaxxed fucks come into our store without masks so it was only a matter of time.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I get why they're telling vaccinated people to wear masks and all but I can't imagine this is going to go well at all. I'm not at all against having to wear a mask (I never really stopped much) but this just keeps making people who question masks and vaccinations feel justified in their anti-mask/vaxx stance. A lot of people will choose to interpret this as "vaccines don't do anything, you're wearing a mask forever".

What a bungled handling of all this.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Public officials: "Go get the vaccine and we can all get back to normal"

Also public officials: "LOL sike your vaccine is worthless."
I mean, I know you're probably being somewhat jokey with this, but this isn't really reflective of what's happening.

The vaccines do indeed work incredibly well, and the protection even against the delta variant is enormous. A statement like "high vaccination rates will likely lead to a return to normalcy, so you should get vaccinated" is honestly pretty accurate. It's just that how variants like delta will spread, and how well-vaccinated different areas of the country become are all variable. The fact that a faster-spreading variant appears and infects mostly-unvaccinated people doesn't discount vaccine efficacy.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I get why they're telling vaccinated people to wear masks and all but I can't imagine this is going to go well at all. I'm not at all against having to wear a mask (I never really stopped much) but this just keeps making people who question masks and vaccinations feel justified in their anti-mask/vaxx stance. A lot of people will choose to interpret this as "vaccines don't do anything, you're wearing a mask forever".

What a bungled handling of all this.
They were going to use any reasoning they could to make that argument. Doesn't matter what decisions were made.

We know vaccinated people are not getting the Delta variant even a fraction as bad as unvaccinated people. If they want to dispute the science, they would do it no matter what the facts are.