• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I can't believe just how awful this ended up. Went to bed hoping for the best and wasn't prepared at all for this. Such a grisly and senseless act of violence.

My heart goes out to everyone involved and their loved ones. I can't even begin to imagine the pain this has caused countless people.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
No sprinklers/emergency exit. So incredibly frustrating that this could have been a lot less worse if Kyoto was more vigilant with fire code.
Is that official? I have yet to see a building in Japan without those. My apartment is 20+ years old and it has those in every room. Even crappy office buildings I've been to all had those. Hard to believe they didn't have them.

Also, most buildings in Japan have emergency stairs but they are inside (covered in a way that they can't burn), so if the first floor exits were all burning (which they were, with gasoline), hard to get out anyway.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Japanese building codes are way more lax than western ones I'd guess. Hopefully this is a wake up call.
For safety issues in general, not really. Remember this place gets hit by quakes all the time, plus population density is massive so any fire or destruction is bound to hit A LOT of people in general. It might have been for this building, but I don't think it's a general thing.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
this is the worst take
Excuse me?
Are you seriously saying that the shocking lack of fire safety procedures didn't lead to massive unesscessary loss of life.
They is no way that a single arsonist should of been able to kill 33 people and injure another 36.
The menas to trap people should never have been possible.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is so fucked up, Japan seems so safe that you never think about something like that happening

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am speechless. I am filled with so much anger right now. When the fucker hangs, I will be celebrating for sure.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excuse me?
Are you seriously saying that the shocking lack of fire safety procedures didn't lead to massive unesscessary loss of life.
They is no way that a single arsonist should of been able to kill 33 people and injure another 36.
The menas to trap people should never have been possible.
You suggested these 33 deaths weren't really the fault of the arsonist

That's the worst way to get your message across dude. Only one person in this equation *decided* to kill people.

And you're saying this while facts are in dispute. With assumptions.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine the fire codes being lax in Japan... Earthquakes and fire go hand in hand and Japan has higher standards than anywhere else on Earth in earthquake preparedness.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Remember this place gets hit by quakes all the time, plus population density is massive so any fire or destruction is bound to hit A LOT of people in general.

Yeah, that's true. But, from my own personal experience, I remember being in hotels, shopping arcades, restaurants, etc. that would have the hammer brought down in America for code ordinances. Laxing on some codes does have benefits (look at pretty much every tiny-ass ramen restaurant that would in no way be legally allowed to operate in America-- for example).

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's the worst way to get your message across dude. Only one person in this equation *decided* to kill people.
I mean the Arsonist is definitely the most directly at fault and is going to get the death penalty, but that doesn't mean no other negligence occured that made the situation worse and should be punished with regards to the building design. That said it seems the building is pretty old and might have been built under more lax laws

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the Arsonist is definitely the most directly at fault and is going to get the death penalty, but that doesn't mean no other negligence occured that made the situation worse and should be punished with regards to the building design. That said it seems the building is pretty old and might have been built under more lax laws
Yeah and there's a bloody way to say that without absolving the bloody arsonist.

Lazlo

Oct 28, 2017
This is so damn tragic. What a terrible thing to wake up to. The poor families and friends of the victims...

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017

And you're saying this while facts are in dispute. With assumptions.
I said that those 33 deaths might of been preventable. Whether the fire was man made or not.
The whole point of fire safty regulations is to prevent or minimise loss of life in these situations.

Of course the guy is to blame for starting the fire. But he should never of been able to easily kill 33 people!

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to refrain from commenting too much before more information is out there but Jesus Christ this is a monstrous tragedy! My hearts go out to all those affected. May they rest in peace :(

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should definitely hold accountable the people who didn't give a fuck about fire safety protocols too.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
I said that those 33 deaths might of been preventable. Whether the fire was man made or not.
The whole point of fire safty regulations is to prevent or minimise loss of life in these situations.

Of course the guy is to blame for starting the fire. But he should never of been able to easily kill 33 people!
You said you felt the arsonist was less responsible than the safety protocols, despite the fact that the arsonist was 100% the cause of the fire.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to argue with you. You are twisting what I said.

You said you felt the arsonist was less responsible than the safety protocols, despite the fact that the arsonist was 100% the cause of the fire.
He was 100% the cause of the fire but NOT 100% of the cause of the 33 people dying.
I'm saying those deaths might of been preventable.
To hell with it, I know what I mean.

Oct 28, 2017
I can't even wrap my head around this. My heart goes out to all the people affected and their families. I can't even believe someone would do this.

Also RIP to all the art that was lost.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
1/3 studio gone just like that, because of some deranged motherfucker...

RRW

Oct 26, 2017

well if you look around the building. there is no fire escape leader. so if the first floor is burned then very hard to go out. you have to go to upstair but report say that roof access could be locked since many victim found on the stair to the roof

Obviously, Arsonist will be the one responsible for this accident. but a huge death toll could be prevented by better fire safety regulation

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan

well if you look around the building. there is no fire escape leader. so if the first floor is burned then very hard to go out. you have to go to upstair but report say that roof access could be locked since many victim found on the stair to the roof

Obviously, Arsonist will be the one the responsible for this accident. but huge death toll could be prevented

Fire escape ladders on the exterior are NOT a thing in Japan nor in many other countries (including many in Europe). They are interior.
Not every country has the same rules, and the interior stairs are also protected so they can't burn.

Oct 27, 2017
I leave for a while then return to see that there is 33 innocent people dead now. May they rest in peace.

That piece of shit who did this tragedy... I don't even know how to deal with this. Fuck.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Fire escape ladders on the exterior are NOT a thing in Japan nor in many other countries (including many in Europe). They are interior.
Not every country has the same rules, and the interior stairs are also protected so they can't burn.

It's not even a thing in a majority of buildings in America. Buildings have fire doors and protected stairwells.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've been following this since the start of the morning and I could never imagine that the death toll would balloon to 33 by the end of the day.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Just checking the laws in Japan, apparently sprinklers are obligatory for almost any sort of building EXCEPT for a very small bracket -- offices or restaurant buildings less than 4 floors high and with each floor less than 6000 square meters if they have windows, or 1500 square meters without windows.

Almost anything else has to have sprinklers, apparently.

Link here https://www.gijutsushikaku-guide.net/sprinkler-institution but good luck if you don't understand Japanese.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Man this is heartbreaking. So many innocents dead because of one fucker.

Rest in Peace to those who lost their lives, hope those who were injured can recover and that KyoAni as a whole can recover

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
33 deaths is the worst homicide event in Japan history ever. The last time something this terrible happened it was a 30 death toll homicide in 1938.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
This. At least in Spain we don't have exterior escape ladders or stairs. Everything is interior. Those interior stairs are sealed off with "fire-proof/resistant?) doors.
This only exists in office buildings or buildings with a lot of traffic. Residential buildings do not have exclusive fire escape stairs/ladders.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing this was an old building? I assume new office buildings have fire prevention built into them. Awful that it always takes a tragedy to get people to take fire safety seriously. Can only hope this forces the government to mandate new fire prevention methods for all buildings or at the very least for all office buildings.