• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is terrible, they're already overworked and treated like shit and then they have to suffer tragedies like this.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Senseless loss of life, horrible news to wake up to.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I feel so sick reading this news, Kyoani seemed to be one of the shining beacons of the industry with how well they treated their employees, and in personal terms they've kept me going through some real rough spots - Violet Evergarden, Hyouka, A Silent Voice, Amagi Brilliant Park and Chuunibyou being very important to me.

Please, please let there be no more deaths announced.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

statement from president Hatta: "the studio has been getting death threats for years now"
It's going to be extra awful if it turns out the arsonist laid out his plan in a letter beforehand (the 2016 stabbing rampage actually did - and they caught it and arrested the culprit - but then released him a few weeks later when he was deemed safe, and then it was carried out anyway :/).
from reddit:

missing:
Ishihara Tatsuya Director
  • AIR・Suzumiya Haruhi series・Kannon・Nichijou
  • CLANNAD・Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions・Sound! Euphonium
Ishidate Taichi Director
  • Kyoukai no Kanata・Violet Evergarden
Takemoto Yasuhiro Director
  • Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon・The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Kawanami Eisaku Director
  • Free!-Timeless Medley-・Free!-Dive to the Future-
Nishiya Futoshi Animation director
  • A Silent Voice・Liz and the Blue Bird
  • Nichijou・HYOUKA Character Design
Kadowaki Miku Animation director
  • Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon・Tsurune・Kyoukai no Kanata Character Design

Here the link to help them. Consider donating.

Ishihara and Ishidate are safe, but anyway, we shouldn't be spreading this speculation.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This fucking horrible, holy shit. Probably an obsessed "fan" who didn't get what they wanted from them is my assumption. They produced some of the most popular anime in the last two decades and got a lot of hate since forever.

Op should link a fundraiser in the thread. My god, the industry and animation creators already suffer so much, why the fuck would you do that.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
from reddit:

missing:
Ishidate Taichi Director
Kawanami Eisaku Director

Ishihara and Ishidate are safe, apparently.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Awful news. RIP to the victims, I just hope the body count won't rise any higher than this :(

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
This fucking horrible, holy shit. Probably an obsessed "fan" who didn't get what they wanted from them is my assumption. They produced some of the most popular anime in the last two decades and got a lot of hate since forever.
The guy they arrested was rambling about being ripped off/plagiarized. shrug, fuck 'im

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God damn it, that's horrible. Why couldn't they somehow stop the arsonist or the fire? It's awful.

Events unfold so quickly that it is hard to parse everything going on, they likely never stood a chance to prevent this tragedy, I believe there was talks about one employees from the studio chasing the arsonist, but we should take everything with a grain of salt until the chain of events have been mapped out.

Horrible tragedy all around, it's incredibly frightening that this could be the work of just one person, I wish everyone affected by this event the best in the tough days to come.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
from reddit:

missing:
Ishidate Taichi Director
Kawanami Eisaku Director

this is misinformation, none of these people are confirmed missing

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
Just because there has't been a public statement about a specific person doesn't mean they are missing. Please don't spread around lists of supposedly missing people that hasn't been confirmed in either direction, particularly for a studio with a culture of not doing individual social media accounts.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Just because there has't been a public statement about a specific person doesn't mean they are missing. Please don't spread around lists of supposedly missing people that hasn't been confirmed in either direction, particularly for a studio with a culture of not doing individual social media accounts.
Also, I don't know how the whole company is structured, but I'd think it'd be odd for all the lead creative directors of the company to be located all within this one studio building no? Unless this was their main production office?

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
This is terrible, they're already overworked and treated like shit and then they have to suffer tragedies like this.

One of the reasons that KyoAni is so well respected is because they not only do the majority of their production in-house, but their staff are also properly salaried and they generally keep actual normal-human working hours, in sharp contrast to the rest of the industry.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They were reportedly well treated.

One of the reasons that KyoAni is so well respected is because they not only do the majority of their production in-house, but their staff are also properly salaried and they generally keep actual normal-human working hours, in sharp contrast to the rest of the industry.

I was talking about the animation industry as a whole as a situation like this will likely affect other companies and employees as well.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horrible. Condolences to people related to the victims

I wonder what the fallout from this will be

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is horrific. Absolutely gut wrenching. Thoughts go to the many family and friends that'll be affected. I'll never understand how someone can do something like this.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Japan has death penalty so...

Correct, Japan's death penalty is hanging.

And according to witness, the suspect has tatoo on his stomach area
l9F6v13.jpg

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
My god what horrific news!

Good the sick fucker got caught, but sadly he couldn't be stopped before this tragedy happened. 😔

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
Kyoani shows have helped me out a lot in the past during dark times. RIP to all the victims and condolences to the loved ones.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Kyoani made literally my top 3 favorite anime series of all time, so this hits pretty hard.
Out of all places, why there?

It seems like such an unusual target.