• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the 2001 Kabukicho fire was never solved and thus wasn't confirmed to be criminal (IIRC), today's incident would be the biggest massacre in Japan since the 1930s (whatever happened in WWII notwithstanding).

This is terrible.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Small update: 13 confirmed dead, 10+ unconscious on the 3rd floor

...if they somehow are alive they will be suffering permanent brain damage or are brain dead...
Your brain is damaged after 5 mins of no oxygen, dead after 10mins. A big breathe of smoke (no oxygen) will knock you out and potentially kill you.
Source: was firefighter.

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus.
This is horrific. Only an evil monster would do something like this to innocent people.
My condolences and heart goes out to the families affected by this madness. I pray that the casualties don't rise any higher.

zeroshiki

Oct 26, 2017
As Heyrule said in the previous page, the 10+ unconcious on the 3rd floor most likely are dead but they just can't announce them. However, Japan Times or the AFP shouldn't jump the gun yet since there's nothing official yet.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
The building had 70 people in it. At least 24 are dead or presumed dead. Over 1/3rd of the people that were in the building are just... gone. Archives, present work, all gone. Directors still missing, key ones. I feel numb. I worry they might not be able to recover in the best-case scenario.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Massive blow for the industry that already bleeding talent and so disrespected.

I feel so gutted.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
How does a relatively modest mid rise building like that burn so quickly from gasoline?

RIP

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Tatsuya Ishihara and Taichi Ishidate, two of the studio's creative heads, are confirmed safe

That should dispel that baseless rumor even as the news only gets more and more horrific.

Edit: Nvm I saw the twitter further down, seems like it's the same source.

Last edited:

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Massive blow for the industry that already bleeding talent and so disrespected.

I feel so gutted.
What breaks my heart even more is that, unlike what many animators say about their working conditions in other studios, Kyoani was known for being a very good place for animators to work on with proper salaries and good work environment.

A massive tragedy.

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
...if they somehow are alive they will be suffering permanent brain damage or are brain dead...
Your brain is damaged after 5 mins of no oxygen, dead after 10mins. A big breathe of smoke (no oxygen) will knock you out and potentially kill you.
Source: was firefighter.

In Japan, only doctors can confirm if someone is dead or not. "Unconscious" or "cardiac arrest" are terms that are used for victims who are most likely dead, but have not been confirmed dead by a doctor.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
most folks don't know this but the anime industry is super interconnected. when you think about the impact this will have, beyond the sheer tragedy of the lives lost, this is industry wide in ways we can't fathom right now and will have devestating effects on the industry as a whole.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
That should dispel that baseless rumor even as the news only gets more and more horrific.

Edit: Nvm I saw the twitter further down, seems like it's the same source.
Well, the initial list was them being "missing" which just meant they couldn't be fully verified safe. So it was ambiguous at least. Obviously a relief to hear they are ok in spite of so much tragedy

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
What breaks my heart even more is that, unlike what many animators say about their working conditions in other studios, Kyoani was known for being a very good place for animators to work on with proper salaries and good work environment.

A massive tragedy.
Kyoto Animation has their own animation school, they provide education opportunities to those looking to join the industry, provide employment opportunities to graduates, and promote from within. They have salaried staff, and encourage talent growth and skill development internally.

T_T

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Awful to wake up to, going to be on my mind all day. From what I've seen so far the media have been quite respectful and I hope they continue not to focus on the suspect. I hope all the victims can find peace

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
most folks don't know this but the anime industry is super interconnected. when you think about the impact this will have, beyond the sheer tragedy of the lives lost, this is industry wide in ways we can't fathom right now and will have devestating effects on the industry as a whole.

this is true, but kyoani are a notable exception in that their entire animation process is in-house (it's why their working environment is famous for being the best in the industry). of course, this will still be devastating to the industry symbolically

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Goddamnit, what horrible news. So fucked up, KyoAni was one of my favourite studios, I hope the number of the dead doesn't keep rising.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Terrible news, completely senseless tragedy.

I guess from the speed at which it engulfed the buildilng, there wasn't any sort of fire sprinkler system. Can't imagine what the people in there had to go through.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Well, the initial list was them being "missing" which just meant they couldn't be fully verified safe. So it was ambiguous at least. Obviously a relief to hear they are ok in spite of so much tragedy
It's very disingenuous to list them as "missing" without any sort of proper source because when the news reports someone is missing in an accident or tragedy, it usually means they were at the scene and their whereabouts cannot be determined after that (ie: people are looking for them actively). In this case, it feels like someone made a list of known people from Kyoto Animation and declared them "missing" because there was no news "confirming" that they were safe, without even knowing if they were working at that studio at the point of the fire. That's why the list is bullocks and damaging.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
It's very disingenuous to list them as "missing" without any sort of proper source because when the news reports someone is missing in an accident or tragedy, it usually means they were at the scene and their whereabouts cannot be determined after that (ie: people are looking for them actively). In this case, it feels like someone made a list of known people from Kyoto Animation and declared them "missing" because there was no news "confirming" that they were safe, without even knowing if they were working at that studio at the point of the fire. That's why the list is bullocks and damaging.
Yeah, that's what I was "hoping" was the case (that the list was bollocks). And yeah, it is irresponsible to just throw that out there without even a source that might be knowledgable or an official announcement.

Still horrific of course that, likely 20+ people have perished because of a senseless barbaric act of a lunatic

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Horrifying. Any reason behind it? Was the arsonist really pouring fuel on people? RIP to those who died. Hope everyone else pulls through :/

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Kyoto Animation has their own animation school, they provide education opportunities to those looking to join the industry, provide employment opportunities to graduates, and promote from within. They have salaried staff, and encourage talent growth and skill development internally.

T_T
Exactly, they even gotten to the point where they created their own publishing company and a contest to discover new talent on the light novel front, and many of their published works ended up becoming great successes when adapted into anime series like Free, Violet Evergarden and others.

Just a great studio all around that truly has respect for their creatives.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Horrifying. Any reason behind it? Was the arsonist really pouring fuel on people? RIP to those who died. Hope everyone else pulls through :/
Nothing aside some rambling from one of the attackers how Kyoani "stole something" from him. People are running wild with speculation.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
God damn it, that's horrible. Why couldn't they somehow stop the arsonist or the fire? It's awful.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Why?
Why animation studio?
What grudge that someone holds that makes them commit such an atrocious attack?