• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
(Apparently) Hot Take:

TLJ is a good movie and the only one from the sequel triology that treats its characters as characters instead of chess pieces.

Also, the Lightspeed Kamikaze was more epic than the entire climax of TROS

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Adam driver's performance and conflicted elevated the sequel trilogy. Getting him out of the mask was a great move imo.

This is always my problem with the whole "Keep Adam Driver in a mask" thing. The soul of acting is in the eyes, and Adam acts the crap out of this movie and his performance anchors the whole trilogy. I'm so sorry your Halloween costume was ruined by better drama and performance.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6e343255506454573249593256413d3d2d3637383535303633372e313537376332633138646133396663343138383437383033313432312e676966

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the mask maker was devastated wonder how Adam Driver felt getting to act with his face visible and not have to talk through a Fisher Price microphone

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
If you're a costume designer, your work is supposed to serve the characters and the story. If the story/character arc says that they move beyond your work, you should be happy: that means your work actually was relevant to the prior stage of the character. It wasn't just clothes, it was a part of who they were. What could be better than that?

Getting upset and saying it "feels like Trump" just makes you look like a baby. A coddled baby that has no idea what life is like for people in the real world.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the prop master was saying going from his mask to Driver's face was like going from Obama to Trump.

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
TLJ is a right wing conservative fantasy?

Now I've heard it all.

You laugh, but it is surprisingly regressive. Not in the story department, because SUBVERSION!, but it the social commentary. Coming out of TFA, no matter what you think of the plot, it introduced the main cast: a black guy and a woman. Two things it hinted at were: Finn may become a Jedi, and Finn and Rey may get together.

In comes Rian Johnson and says 'no no no'. Black guys can't be main characters. Here you go, here's the sidekick B plotline for you. Jedi? Noooo. And you certainly can't date a white woman, can you? Here's an appropriate side PoC woman for you.

Oh, you like your main character from the old movies, Leia? Well, we'll put her in a coma so the new male character can take the spotlight. He's hot-headed and brash, so let the new female character GIVE HIM THE SILENT TREATMENT. That will show him and no bad will come of it. Oh, he rebelled? He led a mutiny? Will he get punished for acting out his toxic masculinity? Nope. He'll get promoted. Also the two female characters his with will comment that they like him for his hot-headedness. I guess 'boys will be boys, can't stand to not go crazy for them!'

And what about Rey, the seemingly all-powerful Force User? She'll of course fall for the white as sheet alt-right nazi type, because 'she can fix him!' You know, it tracks, if you have a main white female and a main white male in your movie, it's only logical they'll be drawn to each other, right? And then, in the end, she'll be schooled by the old wrinkly guy, so it's the NAZI WHITE GUY that saves her in the end! Trope of female empowerment SUBVERTED!

I mean, TLJ is the most sexist and racist of the rather progressive SW movies. I really wonder why the alt-right riles against it so much, as they could've made it their bastion. They aren't very intelligent, I'll give them that, but still. On the other hand, I'm always surprised left-leaning people say TLJ is progressive. It may have subverted SW tropes, but progressive it isn't. Even the 'you don't need legacy to become a Jedi' message is just the American Dream repackaged.

And coup the grace: Johnson's casts are always as white as a ghost. There are no prominent black characters in his filmography whatsoever.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You laugh, but it is surprisingly regressive. Not in the story department, because SUBVERSION!, but it the social commentary. Coming out of TFA, no matter what you think of the plot, it introduced the main cast: a black guy and a woman. Two things it hinted at were: Finn may become a Jedi, and Finn and Rey may get together.

In comes Rian Johnson and says 'no no no'. Black guys can't be main characters. Here you go, here's the sidekick B plotline for you. Jedi? Noooo. And you certainly can't date a white woman, can you? Here's an appropriate side PoC woman for you.

Oh, you like your main character from the old movies, Leia? Well, we'll put her in a coma so the new male character can take the spotlight. He's hot-headed and brash, so let the new female character GIVE HIM THE SILENT TREATMENT. That will show him and no bad will come of it. Oh, he rebelled? He led a mutiny? Will he get punished for acting out his toxic masculinity? Nope. He'll get promoted. Also the two female characters his with will comment that they like him for his hot-headedness. I guess 'boys will be boys, can't stand to not go crazy for them!'

And what about Rey, the seemingly all-powerful Force User? She'll of course fall for the white as sheet alt-right nazi type, because 'she can fix him!' You know, it tracks, if you have a main white female and a main white male in your movie, it's only logical they'll be drawn to each other, right? And then, in the end, she'll be schooled by the old wrinkly guy, so it's the NAZI WHITE GUY that saves her in the end! Trope of female empowerment SUBVERTED!

I mean, TLJ is the most sexist and racist of the rather progressive SW movies. I really wonder why the alt-right riles against it so much, as they could've made it their bastion. They aren't very intelligent, I'll give them that, but still. On the other hand, I'm always surprised left-leaning people say TLJ is progressive. It may have subverted SW tropes, but progressive it isn't. Even the 'you don't need legacy to become a Jedi' message is just the American Dream repackaged.

And coup the grace: Johnson's casts are always as white as a ghost. There are no prominent black characters in his filmography whatsoever.

These are all good points

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018

Goddamn!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Like half of the points brought up in this post were set up in TFA or massively exacerbated in TROS.

In case you forget, Rey REJECTED Kylo Ren in TLJ. She shut him down because she saw what a pathetic child he was. And then in TROS JJ had her kiss him.

Also, the main character of Knives Out was Latina and Lakeith Stanfield was in almost half the film.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

And coup the grace: Johnson's casts are always as white as a ghost.
Lol. The promotion for TFA hinted that Finn may become a Jedi and that didn't happen. TFA made him a former janitor. Beyond his opening scene there's no hint that he has Force sensitivity. And it's TFA that splits Rey and Finn up at the end and has Rey alone going to see Luke Skywalker. She leaves giving him a friendzone kiss. Finn's whole arc in the movie has him become his own independent character who's no longer just about saving Rey.

Rey's relationship with Kylo is shown to be toxic and that's why she closes the door on it.

The bottom statement is just silly when he inherited his cast in TLJ and his main addition to that cast was Rose, and in Knives Out the main character is Latina and the daughter of illegal immigrants and Lakeith Stanfield plays a detective.
And the white American family is the enemy in the movie, feeling entitled to the house which is obviously standing in for America.

Last edited:

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What are you the story director for?

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Wow, this is... actually pretty accurate
The Holdo Maneuver is probably one of the most visually stunning moments in sci-fi history. You could make an argument about how that effects combat... and then JJ invents lightspeed skipping. Which turned out to be visually boring and break those rules even more.

Also a hot take: Jannah and Zorii don't hold a candle to Holdo.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Also a hot take: Jannah and Zorii don't hold a candle to Holdo.
Not sure this is a hot take? I really like Holdo and she's definitely a way more developed character.

Also, I'd go further and argue that you can take any part of TLJ's third/fourth arc and it's more impressive than the climax of TROS. The Holdo maneuver. The Snoke throne room scene. The Crait land battle. The Falcon chase in the crystal caves. Kylo vs. Luke.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is always my problem with the whole "Keep Adam Driver in a mask" thing. The soul of acting is in the eyes, and Adam acts the crap out of this movie and his performance anchors the whole trilogy. I'm so sorry your Halloween costume was ruined by better drama and performance.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6e343255506454573249593256413d3d2d3637383535303633372e313537376332633138646133396663343138383437383033313432312e676966
I just didn't understand why he took the mask off in the first movie. The whole point is that he's trying to be a wannabe Vader. He should be trying to keep the mask on at all times. Him destroying the mask and showing his face at all times makes sense in TLJ, because he grows beyond the mask at that point.

...and then JJ puts him back in the mask for no reason at all in TROS.

This mask shit is inconsistent as fuck.

Nov 11, 2017
I just didn't understand why he took the mask off in the first movie. The whole point is that he's trying to be a wannabe Vader. He should be trying to keep the mask on at all times. Him destroying the mask and showing his face at all times makes sense in TLJ, because he grows beyond the mask at that point.

...and then JJ puts him back in the mask for no reason at all in TROS.

This mask shit is inconsistent as fuck.
He didn't grow out of it, he was humiliated for wearing it by Snoke and destroyed it in a fit. Then he killed Snoke and regained confidence in his path I guess?

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of this is just blaming TLJ for either prescedent set by TFA or where TRoS went afterwards. C'mon.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I really didn't get the impression, coming out of TFA, that Finn was going to become a Jedi. He seemed more comfortable with a blaster.

I think Johnson was probably trying to set up a conflict for Finn.

Would it have been more progressive to make Rey, who didn't seem to be romantically interested in any character in the slightest in TFA, suddenly over the moon for Finn, just because she apparently had to have a love interest because Hollywood?

I mean, Luke dies so the female character can take the spotlight in TLJ. The whole idea of this new trilogy was supposed to be about passing the torch (at least until TROS).

I really didn't see movie as just brushing off his failure as "boys will be boys." The entire point of the movie is that he failed, and Finn failed, and Rey failed. They were all supposed to learn the lessons needed to become the people they needed to be to win the final battle. Holdo is held up as the example of the type of leader Poe should aspire to be. She didn't give him answers because she didn't owe him answers; she was his superior.

I don't know why you're trying to present this as Johnson writing some sort of weird "woman tries to fix abuser she's romantically involved with" thing. She is force sensitive and she saw that there was still some good in him. Good Jedi trying to save others from the Dark Side is, like, the recurring theme of the series. Luke tried to save his father from the dark side, does that mean that he was falling for his dad?

I mean, TLJ is the most sexist and racist of the rather progressive SW movies.

Return of the Jedi takes Princess Leia, a feminist icon, and completely hijacks her character into being a pleasure slave in a chain bikini, something that ANH/ESB Leia would never agree to even as a disguise. So, no.

And coup the grace: Johnson's casts are always as white as a ghost.

The characters he added were Rose (and Paige), DJ, and Holdo.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Going back to the mask and the voice modulator in TROS felt like a huge step down from TLJ which let Adam Driver, one of the best actors of his generation, actually act.
Masks certainly limit expression and require an actor to find other ways of expression, but it's silly to act like an actor can't do their job with a mask and a voice change. It's like saying Tom Hardy as Bane or Pedro Pascal in The Mandalorian aren't really acting.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Masks certainly limit expression and require an actor to find other ways of expression, but it's silly to act like an actor can't do their job with a mask and a voice change. It's like saying Tom Hardy as Bane or Pedro Pascal in The Mandalorian aren't really acting.
The thing is that when we see Kylo masked in TROS he's either fighting or staying almost perfectly still barely showing any expression if any. And frankly a lot of the lines with the voice modulator sound silly. Yes of course he can still act with the mask on, maybe I should have clarified that, but it's so much more restrained, and less interesting. His most memorable acting in TFA for me is definitely when he's without the mask in the forest, unhinged, and yelling.

They actually had three or four actors playing Mando in the suit. I did watch the Gallery episode though where they talked about how limiting it was for the acting and they got around that by having him for the most part be very still so that small movements could represent emotion.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the dumb "Rian Johnson is clearly a racist!" Line of thinking was done after knives out, but clearly not....

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
There sure is a consistent pattern of JJ's collaborators having his same awful sense of storytelling.

Shyotl

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the dumb "Rian Johnson is clearly a racist!" Line of thinking was done after knives out, but clearly not....
Shipping, through and through.

No, this is the WRONG biracial relationship! My fanfic is ruined.

Also Rian changed too much... subversion lolol. Also Rian should've changed half the cast I guess(???).

TLJ DESTROYED with LOGIC and REASON

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Some of this reads like an alt-right person on Twitter pretending that he's woke.

But with the post history, it's almost creepy.

Birbos

Alt Account
Banned
May 15, 2020
Rian Johnson should have made the whole trilogy. It would have been the work of a god.

OP
OP
Veelk

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
legit can't tell if Mockerre's shitposting is trolling or sincere, which I guess is in the spirit of this thread

Last edited:

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017
I guess first post magic really is dead for some of y'all. Back to your regularly scheduled misery, I guess.

I rate TLJ and TROS an OK/10. Have a nice evening.
Lmao "first post magic". Low hanging fruit designed solely to generate a reaction, becoming the primary focus of a thread because of posters who're easily baited and derailing any meaningful discussion, as is the case here. How magical.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.